• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
yVXuJzZ.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 22 - The Defeated: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 6
12:00 - Bleach - 363 - Clash! Soul Reapers vs. XCUTION!
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 40 - The Nine-Tails Unleashed
1:00 - One Piece - 274 - Give Us Your Answer, Robin! The Straw Hats' Outcry!
1:30 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 8 - Later, Buddy
2:00 - Hellsing Ultimate - 4 - Hellsing IV
3:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 10 - Ganymede Elegy
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 32 - The Fuhrer's Son
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 2 - NIGHT CRUISE
5:00 - Big O - 15 - Negotiations with the Dead
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 35 - Jack and the Haunted House

Later.

Seda

Long Hellsing next week

e: I just remembered I might not be around. At least the website will have the episodes up

daveo42

Banned
And we're out.

Later

Edit: Depending on what I end up doing on vacation, I might miss some of the block over the next two weeks. Definitely won't be up past Hellsing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 22 - The Defeated: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 6
12:00 - Bleach - 363 - Clash! Soul Reapers vs. XCUTION!
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 40 - The Nine-Tails Unleashed
1:00 - One Piece - 274 - Give Us Your Answer, Robin! The Straw Hats' Outcry!
1:30 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 8 - Later, Buddy
2:00 - Hellsing Ultimate - 4 - Hellsing IV
3:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 10 - Ganymede Elegy
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 32 - The Fuhrer's Son
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 2 - NIGHT CRUISE
5:00 - Big O - 15 - Negotiations with the Dead
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 35 - Jack and the Haunted House

Later.

Pretty good next week. Pretty damn good.

Moaradin

First episode of the new Fate anime was fucking great. Dem production values. Really looking forward to this one. Fate/Zero was one of my favorite recent animes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gooood morning everyone. Feels nice to fall asleep earlier.

Attack on Titan:
Finally! Titan vs Titan action!
So... who's at fault for the voice acting? Papenbrook for not sounding good when he screams? The director? The material itself? Hmmm...

Bleach:
The Yu Yu Hakusho rip-offs never end... Now he's stealing Sensui's entire character. And of course, one-on-one fights because Kubo can't do anything else.

Shippuden:
Holy crap, something happened! Orochimaru arrives, and he's still great. He really should have stayed the main villain...

One Piece:
Second Gear! That scene is still hype no matter where or when I read/watch it. Heh, I remember some fans freaking because they don't say it "Gear Second", even though that's grammatically incorrect. This is why we can't have nice things!

Gurren Lagann:
Now things are heating up. The animation is back and the robotic carnage is awesome. 4-6 really is as hump.

Hellsing Ultimate:
Delicious blood, mwahahaha. Crispin Freeman hamming it up to glorious levels.
About the comedy, that's in the manga. Yeah, sorry about that. Kouta Hirano is weird.

Raxus

Collapsed last night since I was sick all weekend. I will post my Space Dandy review Wednesday.

I too will be out this weekend. Headed to NYC.

Rutger

Banned
Good work SAB CA

AoT:
So the cannon fodder realized what they really were and stopped trying to act like real characters. Others around here seemed to enjoy the fights, I guess I just can't get invested watching this show again.

Bleach:
Hey, another Yu Yu Hakusho plot point. I should be watching that instead.

Naruto:
Not much for me to say.

One Piece:
Great episode. We finally get to see what Second Gear is about, and Luffy teased another new skill. We're getting close to some of my favorite moments in the series, the next few weeks should be great.

Gurren Lagann:
The show is back to doing what it does best. A fun episode, team Dai Gurren is becoming stronger, and just in time because an important battle is about to start.
I like Kittan's Gunman, such a silly design, it's great.

Hellsing:
It's been a long time since I read the manga, I didn't remember there being so many awkward comedy moments. In case anyone had any doubts, this episode shows that Alucard is not a good guy. The fight with the Dandy man was pretty fun.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, slept until a little over 11:30 AM. Felt nice just being able to sleep to 9-ish, let alone I wake up to a quiet, empty house.

Anyways, I'm really glad people stayed for another episode of GL after the last few episodes. It sounds like most, if not all, first-time viewers are back on board.

bigkrev

Saw The Equalizer last night instead of Toonami. By the time I got home, Hell sing had started and I just decided to pass out.

Good movie though!

ckohler

I hope you guys enjoyed the new spoiler warning cards this week. :) Let me know if you think I should continue posting them and any suggestions you may have regarding them. Now, on with the reviews:

Attack on Titan - An absolutely amazing episode; definitely my favorite so far! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I do love me some hot Titan on Titan action and watching the swift and cunning FemTitan take on the insane, bruiser ErenTitan was as epic as I’d hoped it’d be. I also love how this show dispenses with characters so suddenly and dramatically. It really raises the stakes and makes you wonder who will or won’t survive each encounter. The animation was also equally superb this week. I’m super excited to see this arc continue. Now, go save your husbando, Mikasa!

Bleach - I kinda enjoyed this episode for just how ridiculous it was. Yeah, the plot is mind-numbingly dumb and Ichigo being ridiculously OP is stupid. However, I have to admit, I’m actually kinda interested in seeing the FullBringers finally use their powers in battle. Hopefully, the rest fair better than that Hulk-Butler wannabe. I laughed a few times (mostly for the wrong reasons) so I guess it was an okay episode when I take it on pure entertainment value.

Naruto: Shippuden - We actually see the meeting we were promised last week when it was just an insulting cop-out. The voice training part made my laugh but once the mission began the episode was pretty damn good. This might be in part to do with the lame-o trio having to sit on the sidelines. Surprise! Ninja Info Cards arrives and then Orochimaru as well to scare everyone. The meeting had legitimately good tension and the battle to come looks like it could be good. You see Shippuden, I can actually enjoy your shit show when you actually let the plot progress! A good episode.

One Piece - Second… Gear! Blueno got punched the F out and it was awesome. The animation during Luffy’s fight looked great. Who can’t help but love his constant, positive, friend-protecting enthusiasm? The scenes with the rest of the crew squabbling through the courthouse were equally great. Every character had their moment to shine in this episode and the music was pretty hype. I get the impression things will continue on this course as the upcoming battles begin. A really great episode!

Gurren Lagann - “You’re wrong! It’s not Team Gurren. It’s now team Dai-Gurren!” I love how this show perfectly mixes high-stakes action, comedy timing, fast pacing, hype music, and emotional heart into a perfect package. I can not express just how excited I am for next week’s episode. I love this show and it’s fun to watch ToonamiGAF react to each episode. Now that it’s airing 30 minutes earlier, even more people can experience the awesome power of FIGHTING SPIRIT!

Hellsing Ultimate - Another great episode! Okay, yes, the comedy is a overdone but I honestly can’t hate Police Girl. She’s just so adorable! I always grin every time she has one of her comedic cutaways. Like I’ve said before, if the show was only doom-and-gloom, I don’t think I could enjoy it as much. Someone made the comparison to FMA: Brotherhood and I agree that’s a good comparison when it comes to the tonal-shifts. As for the rest of the episode, Alucard was the literal definition of “monster” this week. What’s more, Integra seemed equally as ruthless on their hot-and-bothered phone call. As for the accents, I like those too, as ridiculous as they are. At least they are interesting and add something fun to the show. If there is one phrase I would use to describe this show so far, it’s “over-the-top”. Every aspect from the accents, action, and even humor are over-the-top. I think that’s why I like it so much!

————

A fantastic evening of shows! One of the best in a long while. I also loved all the new bump animations, show cards and this new lineup schedule. Next week looks like it could be just as great, if not better!

I think Luffy is a pretty good example of packing a character full of shonen traits without making him boring. It's made all the more apparent by how dull Nayrewto is despite having a number of the same traits.

Jarate

Banned
I think Luffy is a pretty good example of packing a character full of shonen traits without making him boring. It's made all the more apparent by how dull Nayrewto is despite having a number of the same traits.

Luffy's always has to depend on others just to do basic things, he's well aware of his own inadequacies and while he rushes into battle, it's always because he trusts his cremated so much. Luffy is a bro

Naruto is a super special ashore that everyone hates because he's generally a price, and while he's a fighting savant, and needs the help of his friends, he rushes into battle for no reason other then the fact that he's super hot headed and is generally just rushing into to appease his own confidence. Naruto is an asshole.

That's the difference between the two. Ones a likeable character and the other is not

Luffy is annoying. Always being/playing dumb and yelling.

If he was always the way he is when talking to the main bad guys in fights, he'd be a lot more tolerable.

But then again I could never get into OP because of all the "humor" and "whimsy" in between the plot and fights (as well as a lot of the character designs)

nofunallowed.jpg

Attack on Titan - Hey, they killed people I actually recognize! Obviously I haven't seen the whole series so it might be true for all I know, but up until this point I feel people were kinda full of shit when they sold me on this show as "anyone can die" because....that's not really true. I mean yes, I did recognize these characters, but even if I didn't expect them to actually die this episode they are kind of obvious kills. There's a pretty distinct group of people who aren't going to actually die in this show. That being said, it was still an interesting development and actual animation does wonders for this show. It got bogged down in a few lengthy speeches, but in general the action scenes were great.

Bleach - I should probably be more down on this for existing because of deus ex machina garbage that invalidates the entire story arc, but the fight was pretty decent and the animation stepped up. The show has done a rather poor job of making any of the side villains feel relevant, so the idea that they'll be getting some actual fights is not an appealing one. Hopefully they're all as short as Kenpachi's, but I kinda doubt it.

Naruto Shippuden - While it clearly drags itself out, some solid direction at least ensures that it's interesting to watch and the plot actually develops! It's cool to see Kabuto and Orochimaru, as well as the betrayal.

One Piece - Luffy vs. Blueno is one of my favorite fights from what I've seen of the anime just because of how satisfying it is to see Luffy absolutely destroy this guy. I'd compare it to the Bellamy fight, only with better choreography (though not as much of the impact.) The rest of the episode is fun, too.

Gurren Lagann - I was kinda drifting out when this one came around so I might have to rewatch it, but the action was great. I just feel like it still lacks some oomph. Maybe it will have it on a rewatch.

Hellsing Ultimate - This one had more terrible comedy than the rest of the series so far combined. And then doubled. Beyond that, the action was great as always (when it didn't get stopped for some weirdly long bouts of talking.) But I'm not sure what this episode wanted me to feel. I mean, Seras is the audience surrogate, so we're supposed to generally feel what she feels. When she's horrified at Alucard, we're supposed to be horrified by Alucard. But the show seems to be caught between that idea, by showing Alucard killing a bunch of police officers, and the general tone of "HOLY CRAP LOOK HOW AWESOME ALL THE BLOOD AND THE BULLETS AND THE KILLING AND WHOA" tone it has. I also think that until the very end it was a bit of a step down from its predecessor.

Space Dandy - I'd have to echo the thoughts that I don't understand the poor reception to this episode. The boob and butt jokes aren't the greatest, but I'd have to guess they offended more "highbrow" sensibilities even when they're a small part of the episode. Not all the jokes work, but a lot of them do (QT going around with an alien guidebook cracks me up still) and it features two fantastic action scenes.

Jarate

Banned
Luffy is annoying. Always being/playing dumb and yelling.

If he was always the way he is when talking to the main bad guys in fights, he'd be a lot more tolerable.

But then again I could never get into OP because of all the "humor" and "whimsy" in between the plot and fights (as well as a lot of the character designs)

nofunallowed.jpg

I can't believe there are people that think this

What's wrong with you

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seriously, how did that one Fullbringer's time powers turn him into the Hulk?
Maybe we'll get an explanation when the dead Fullbringers reappear during the Quincy Blood War.... Fuuuuuck.

Luffy's always has to depend on others just to do basic things, he's well aware of his own inadequacies and while he rushes into battle, it's always because he trusts his cremated so much. Luffy is a bro

Naruto is a super special ashore that everyone hates because he's generally a price, and while he's a fighting savant, and needs the help of his friends, he rushes into battle for no reason other then the fact that he's super hot headed and is generally just rushing into to appease his own confidence. Naruto is an asshole.

That's the difference between the two. Ones a likeable character and the other is not

Are you on a phone? Cremated? I hope not.

I feel like Naruto only embodies his traits because we constantly have him or other people telling us he does. "I won't let my friends die." "You're really amazing, Naruto" ad nauseam. Blah blah blah. And Naruto is too much of a dumb punk to actually learn anything, so where Luffy is inept because he's so naive and eager, Naruto is just a lazy, inattentive asshole who gets praise heaped upon him for the smallest accomplishments. Kishimoto thinks if the characters repeat unjustified bullshit enough times, the reader will start to believe it too. It really shows with how liberally the term "genius" is thrown around in Naruto.

Jarate

Banned
Are you on a phone? Cremated? I hope not.

I feel like Naruto only embodies his traits because we constantly have him or other people telling us he does. "I won't let my friends die." "You're really amazing, Naruto" ad nauseam. Blah blah blah. And Naruto is too much of a dumb punk to actually learn anything, so where Luffy is inept because he's so naive and eager, Naruto is just a lazy, inattentive asshole who gets praise heaped upon him for the smallest accomplishments. Kishimoto thinks if the characters repeat unjustified bullshit enough times, the reader will start to believe it too. It really shows with how liberally the term "genius" is thrown around in Naruto.

I am on a phone that refuses to allow me to turn off autocorrect ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom