• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It is kinda weird that they left FMA:B where it was as I'm used to having 2nd Gig before it.

Big O at 5 just works though, helps amp a person up for Snoozerai Jack . Even this episode with Aku in from minute one had enough chill moments to get me almost dozing, but the ending was too good.

Tenumi

Banned
I didn't bother to try to stay up last night because I was completely exhausted from the day. Really gonna try to hit next weekend, though.

New Sword Art Online Game for PS3/Vita.

giphy.gif

[LAZYBONES INTENSIFIES]

Working out in SoCal heat puts me in a daze, especially when I stay up late for Toonami rather than sleeping early, since I gotta be up by 5 am. Thankfully no more shit outdoors next week which is a major plus.

F9NG5im.png

ka5Ca3O.png
tJJrm0o.png
6VtLU1r.png
Tbr0asf.png

Last time on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the Father told the Jedi to get the hell out of Dodge. This time, in episode 61, the Jedi are realizing that they can’t simply fly off in a crashed ship. Ahsoka, who apparently does this sort of thing despite “I fix stuff” being pretty much Anakin’s entire character in the prequels, informs the guys that she can get things moving, but it’ll take a while. (You’ll see why she’s suddenly a mechanic for the purpose of this story in a moment.) Anakin heads off on one of those floating scooter things to talk to the Father and find out if he’s super sure that he wants them to leave. After burying Palutena in a tomb with the dagger, the Father reiterates to Anakin that the Son will do awful things if they stay, and that he alone will try to kill his remaining child. But since he knows that nobody ever does what they’re told in this show, he tells Anakin to go ask the Force for guidance, which gives the writers another excuse to use Liam Neeson for the 30 minutes he was in the recording booth. Force Ghost Qui-Gonn tells Anakin to go to the place on the planet strongest with the Dark Side.

5K0EwOP.png
Toy8j6C.png

Back at the ship, Obi-Wan heads out to look for Anakin, who’s been gone too long. Outside, he meets the Father, who tells him that Anakin has gone to the Well of the Dark Side, where he should not follow. Obi-Wan tells the Father that if he and Ahsoka weren’t supposed to interfere, Anakin would be on Mortis alone. He scooters off to find the Well, despite not knowing where it is. The Well is a volcanic pit, which Anakin drives right inside to find some familiar surroundings. At the bottom of the Pit, the Son shows Anakin his future, a smoky cross-section of scenes the viewer should recognize: Palpatine as Darth Sidious, Padme’s death, Obi-Wan screaming about how Anakin was his brother, killing kids, the destruction of Alderaan, etc. It all culminates in Darth Vader’s mask forming out of smoke. The Son promises to help change the future, and Anakin joins him.

gl7N3vH.png
27Hz07D.png

Obi-Wan arrives at the Well, where Anakin tells him that he won’t be able to understand what he has to do, and that the Jedi stand in the way of peace because…because. Then the Son Force Lightnings Obi-Wan from behind. Obi-Wan screams, “YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE why?” before Anakin departs, leaving him stranded in the Well instead of dead for no apparent reason. The Son gloats instead of killing him and also leaves. Obi-Wan orders Ahsoka via wristwatch walkie talkie to disable the ship, which wouldn’t have happened if anyone did the obvious thing and killed him. Ahsoka manages to do so and speed away just as Anakin arrives, accompanied by snippets of the Darth Vader theme.

9R9mPwJ.png
4FODVYZ.png

Ahsoka heads to the Well, which Obi-Wan has already climbed 3/4 of the way out of because he’s a fucking Jedi who hasn’t even had a leg or an arm broken, much less a lightsaber to the face or a mouthful of magma. She picks him up on her scooter and flies off. Back at the ship, the Son leaves Anakin behind to go find the dagger in his sister’s tomb. The Father arrives and erases Anakin’s memory because of course he does. Anakin awakens at the monastery with the other Jedi, where the Son appears and quickly overpowers everyone. But the Father steals the dagger and stabs himself, saying that since the two are connected, with his death he takes the Son’s power. I’m not sure if this is a lie, because if it is it serves no purpose and if it isn’t then it makes you wonder why the hell he didn’t do it to begin with. The Son is sad over the thing he planned to do all along, and the Father embraces him. Then the Father nods to Anakin, who stabs both of them with his lightsaber. The Father warns Anakin to “beware [his] heart” before dying, and the planet fades away. The Jedi awaken in space in their ship in one of those “just a dream” endings.

This recap already covers most of the asinine plot points, so let's talk about what else bothers me: Anakin's turn to the Dark Side. It's not convincing in the slightest. I'm not even sure the writers know what reason Anakin has for believing the Son, because no reason is ever offered. "I'll bring peace." "There will be balance." Ok, how? That's an important detail no one ever elaborates on, and it makes lines like "THE JEDI STAND IN THE WAY OF PEACE" all the more frustrating. Furthermore, I'm not sure anyone involved realizes how boring it is to simply retread events we've already seen. What tension is there to seeing Anakin join the Dark Side again, to sort of fight Obi-Wan around some lava again? And what's the point of showing Anakin his future if you're just going to be cheap and erase it, anyway?

C-

How about moral excuses?
Like "is this really a good idea?"

Well as I'm about to watch Cross Ange by comparison it very well could be

or "this is not a valuable use of my time"

I mean if we're talking valuable no video game or anime is really a valuable use of time when compared to things like getting a second job or exercising.

And finally home
I missed my dog.
For reference, I have the most kawaii dog ever.

Most kawaii dog for the most kawaii shota

Seda

I mean if we're talking valuable no video game or anime is really a valuable use of time when compared to things like getting a second job or exercising.

for some reason, playing any game based off a garbage anime isn't really that appealing to me and I'd pretty much rather do anything else, productive or otherwise. maybe that's weird.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
for some reason, playing any game based off a garbage anime isn't really that appealing to me and I'd pretty much rather do anything else, productive or otherwise. maybe that's weird.

Naruto is kind of a garbage anime and had three excellent Gamecube Games.

EDIT: Sharp ears, 2/10, would not pet.

Levyne

Banned
Hard to be on a forum with any anime influence at all and not see "ninja jesus" wrt naruto. Well, at least to my experience as not much of an anime fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom