• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yamato's voice training is as ridiculous in Japanese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2iHUU4p0_8

What a strange scene, no matter what language.

I think this leads to another reason there's so much hate for dubs. When you hear the person speaking your language, you register if the dialogue is good or bad. With subs, you're reading and it doesn't register as fast. It's probably why we could tell SAO was garbage from the start, where sub-watchers took some time to figure it out. Or for some reason consider it "quality".

Plus the whole "can't tell if it's good or bad acting" thing. Though sometimes I can tell if a Japanese performance is bad (Takko Ishimori as Sengoku on One Piece... though I later learned he was dying so it's hard to really criticize his final episodes now).

Who can take a vampire
and cut it up with cards
cover it with blood
and kill a bunch of nameless guards
The Dandy Man
The Dandy Man can....

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Soulflarz

Banned
*still bitter I missed toonami*
Also my coffee addictions getting really bad. Im only at 3 shots today, but I had 4 at starbucks yesterday. And thats not even counting all the other coffee I had.

I wonder what's going on in the Toonami tumblr..

tumblr_ncyav7MPQD1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

N-n-n-n-nope. Nope. Nope.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Do not miss One Piece next week. Just don't.

I wasn't planning on it

That show is super fun

From the 40 or so episodes I've seen from the One Piece beginning and what's on Toonami, I can understand why it's popular.

How does the quality hold up over the course of the series?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This run is considered the high point by many. It's average quality though over the entire series is very high though, not much worse than what we have here. Some pacing issues here and there, but the manga it's based on is so detail heavy that sometimes stretching it out like this makes for a better experience.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Question: Was the guy at the end of Hellsing singing "Welcome to this Crazy Time...~!" a reference to something other than "Tough Boy" from Fist of the North Star 2? Am I ignorant of the original inspiration?

Because either way, making me think of "Tough Boy" helped make the night for me, ha.

Good job SAB CA.

It's beautiful. *sniff sniff*
Glad Beware the Batman didn't kill you.

Thanks guys, and I'm glad too! ;-) Feels really good to finally see the end of that pic, even if there's some parts I might be "eh" on, I really like how it turned out, given the amount of stuff.

Good work SAB CA

Thanks! When I first saw Levi's squad killed, that actually kinda stuck with me. Didn't hurt that tumblr made a bunch of memorial gifts. I actually think it works very well with the awkwardly-placed flashback to "here's how I learned to trust them!" from an episode of 2 back. The feeling is still fresh in out minds, which raises the impact a bit more than if the moment happened further back.

It's funny how little I compare Bleach to Yu Yu lately, I actually kinda like the twist. I don't even mind Ichigo's crazy power-up; it just means all his strength and combat ability come from the same pool, regardless of what the title on the package says. It's still all part of Ichigo.

I also like the fact everyone started to "wear" their Fullbring, inspired by his style of strength. There's actually little details and allusions going on here that I like the subtlety of, truth be told.

This is so great. Thanks Sab for giving Dandy an awesome send off.

I'm glad it's appreciated! S2 really felt like it tried to throw everything we came to know as DANDY into one big serving of senseless, but surprisingly well put together chaos. If I captured any of that spirit, I'm happy.

I hope you guys enjoyed the new spoiler warning cards this week. :) Let me know if you think I should continue posting them and any suggestions you may have regarding them.

If you make new S'warning-cards each week, post a collection of them at nights end / whenever you wake up :)

I really like this ep of Titan, in some ways, it might be my favorite episode of action to air on Modern Toonami. When I first saw it along with the Japanese broadcast, I felt surprisingly satisfied, especially since their buildup as a solid team the past few eps said "there's no way all of them will die." Sure, 1 or 2, MAYBE, but not ALL of them.

And then rewatching the series on Toonami, I get to see where characters are hinted at early on, or shown having survived horrible circumstances, yet still survive. Only for things to fall apart in a way no one in-show would expect. It's such a different flavor than the other Shonen on the Block, closer to a Fist of the North Star-ish, feeling. As MUCH as One Piece has all these stupid CP9 guys who talk about how assassin-focused their art is, very little is dying. Just really hurt.

In Titan, it's do or DIE, and it REALLY is "DIE". The show doesn't even mess around with Mutilations like Bleach does (which are normally invalidated by Orihime anyway.) It straight up kills folks. Much like FOTNS, the fights are all created with the intent to KILL someone, and there's little way around this.

Compare this to Hellsing, which I'm enjoying, but... the uber-violence still kinda falls just a little bit flat for me. The blood feels more like Hitsparks in Tekken than BLOOD sometimes, haha.

The comedy I don't really mind as much, as it's more shocking how much time they put into police girl's stupid faces for me, than the lack of chuncks and entrails in the eviscerations.

I do agree with GMN's mention that the feeling it's trying to show us through Police Girl's eyes is inconsistent. But I don't think it matters here, because the show is really just an excuse to make Alucard look INSANELY powerful, and then to let the creator do stupid stuff with whatever fits his fancy. I don't really feel like it's trying to be good at anything else yet; as you mention, it's perfectly "OVER THE TOP!", with some other stuff thrown in to fill the hour's worth of airtime.

I wonder what's going on in the Toonami tumblr..

tumblr_ncyav7MPQD1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

N-n-n-n-nope. Nope. Nope.

I love how the Titans will do things like this, that would normally cause pain for a reasonable, sensible live creature. It's crazy stuff like this that really sells the fear of what otherwise is just a big muscle diagram out of a science lab. I can really appreciate creativity and depth in animation like this.

I wasn't planning on it

That show is super fun

From the 40 or so episodes I've seen from the One Piece beginning and what's on Toonami, I can understand why it's popular.

i'd say a significant dip in quality doesn't come for another 100 episodes or so because of some pacing issues, which Enies Lobby has given us a bit of a taste of. but i don't think those pacing issues ever really approach these early Shippuden episodes or Bleach, personally, because like Man God said One Piece has a lot of content to each chapter. i can't really speak for Naruto since i've never read it, but Bleach has these huge panels and full-page poses/attacks every chapter that explain why it has so much filler.

F9NG5im.png

i felt like making a teaser. not sure about the font change, though. any opinions? also cropping stuff got to be a pain so i might just leave the bars in

Jarate

Banned
F9NG5im.png

i felt like making a teaser. not sure about the font change, though. any opinions?

Font have been pretty awful in general. Not to be mean, but fonts are an important part of visual design.

no one cares about the font bro, keep on keeping on

Seda

Man, I was going to write up some commentary, as I've neglected to do that for a while, but I find myself just nitpicking at everything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man, I was going to write up some commentary, as I've neglected to do that for a while, but I find myself just nitpicking at everything.

Most of the reason I stopped doing it.

All I can say is that I liked basically everything presented last night. Next week is going to be just as good if not even better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't planning on it

That show is super fun

The One Piece anime starts to get bogged down with pacing issues (the series now maintains a pretty strict "one episode = one chapter" pace...thankfully one chapter of One Piece contains waaaaay more content than, say, Bleach or Naruto) and Toei making weak decisions about how to present certain things about 150-200 episodes from where Toonami is now. Well, really the pacing issues are starting right about now, as you might be noticing from the recaps, but it doesn't really become what I would consider a real problem until much later. Which isn't to say they don't still get a lot right, and it's still highly enjoyable. It's just not executed quite as well in animated form as it was earlier in the series.

The manga is still excellent.

BatDan

Speaking of Toei, apparently they didn't even try with the World Trigger anime. Lots of still frames.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I honestly think that One Piece is best appreciated by reading the manga and then watching the anime when it gets there. The anime is very good at expanding on some things the manga is hazy about while at the same time the anime does occasionally censor or change some things that work better in the manga.

BatDan

I honestly think that One Piece is best appreciated by reading the manga and then watching the anime when it gets there. The anime is very good at expanding on some things the manga is hazy about while at the same time the anime does occasionally censor or change some things that work better in the manga.

I see the anime as a companion piece to the manga.
Recent events in the manga will likely be censored.

Gorillaz

Missed toonami yesterday...felt bad brehs, needed some off the wall humor and fun from the thread after how shit the past few days have been

Or at least something non canon

I wasn't planning on it

That show is super fun

The anime takes a MAJOR hit later on in terms of pacing, even if there are more moments of good animation.

The source material however very rarely dips below "great".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In some of the future arcs I definitely prefer one version to the other and it goes both ways.

ONE PIECE ARC TITLE SPOILERS!

Thriller Bark is about ten times better animated. The pacing is bad on both as Oda spent a bit too long there but it just works in the anime.

Marineford is the opposite. The anime has painful pacing while the manga was clenching your asscheeks riveting. Each week was something else entirely.

daveo42

Banned
I'm a big fan of the actual animated fights. Sometimes they can be hard to fully picture within the manga and the anime gives a good amount of detail on some of the more insane portions. Oda is usually pretty good at depicting action, but sometimes having it animated just adds a whole other layer to it.

I will say that one of the arcs I am currently watching (not the latest but well past Enies Lobby) does have that heavy slow down, but each chapter is still so chock full of stuff (like what MetatronM said) that it seems to always have more content per episode than other shounen anime even at 1:1.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece crams a ton into around 20 pages each week and the anime usually does a good job in making that last 18 minutes on the screen. It helps immensely that the source is so good.

Naruto is just plain bad most of the time it tries 1:1 and there's frankly not enough in Bleach to go 2:1, let alone try 1:1.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In some of the future arcs I definitely prefer one version to the other and it goes both ways.

ONE PIECE ARC TITLE SPOILERS!

Thriller Bark is about ten times better animated. The pacing is bad on both as Oda spent a bit too long there but it just works in the anime.

Marineford is the opposite. The anime has painful pacing while the manga was clenching your asscheeks riveting. Each week was something else entirely.

Man I remember the manga thread during
Marineford, people were resetting their shit-just-got-real-o-meters on a weekly basis.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of people missed last nights most excellent night of Toonami and we might have even more missing next week? Damn. An important week to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom