• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Some shippers will be butthurt regardless of what decision Kishimoto makes...

tumblr_ncys7jBArP1r9l4bco1_500.gif

I think more people will be happy if Naruto ends up with
Sasuke or Hinata over Sakura who has basically sidelined him since the get go. At least I'd be really pissed if Naruto ended up with her anyway because Sakura is a worthless character and she knows it. I mean, even Ino is a better choice for Naruto at this point over Sakura.

/shipping rant

Naruto the manga is ending in 5 weeks

http://www.shonenjump.com/j/2014/10/naruto-fin.html

So we may see the end of the shippuden anime in Japan sooner then expected

This is definitely good news. Now if Bleach could finally wrap things up that would be two manga I'd no longer need to read every week just to see how they end.

Seda

Some very quick thoughts.

Attack on Titan has totally lost me. All the characters are either exceedingly one-note or generic, and when the show centers around these characters in a struggle for survival, it's hard to care about anything that's going on. The monologues are awful.

Bleach is somewhat amusing when viewed comedically. Seeing Ichigo freak out because of goofy-awkward memory shenanigans is something I can point and laugh at. Ever since the 'twist' though, seems like we will have overly-structured one-on-ones. Hooray.

Naruto: One of the few shows I'm already familiar with (vague spoilers):
Not really looking forward to things crashing to a slower crawl, centered around the most boring of conflicts.

One Piece: Not sure how I feel about Luffy's new abilities at the moment. I feel like things are dragging but reserving judgement until we see
Robin's backstory
and I understand that confrontational payoff is something that needs to be built up to.

Gurren Lagann: Hmm, now that we seem to out of the introductions phase, this show has done well enough that I want to see how it presents the main conflicts and how the narrative develops from here. Hoping it avoids overused dramatic elements.

Hellsing: Pretty satisfying turn-off-your-brain popcorn flick type OVA so far. I liked actually seeing some character dynamics re: killing people instead of vampires or ghouls. The comedy doesn't work at all though. I wonder how long Alucard is going to be 'indestructable'.

GitS S2: Pretty standard fare episode to start things off, which isn't a bad thing. Introduces a mysterious new enemy in "Individual Eleven" as well as the new prime minister, so enough intrique to start off as well as tying up loose ends from S1. Also, Tachikomas :|

daveo42

Banned
Really?

One Piece...I could understand, but Naruto has been ending for over two years now.

Had to look, but One Piece has only been running in JUMP two years longer than Naruto. Also, we weren't really sure until just recently that Naruto was actually ending. For as long as I've been reading it, it will be weird to not have around.

One Piece, on the other hand, will be the end of an era. I started watching the anime in early 2003 along with Naruto, but the impact just seems so much bigger. Naruto had some pretty solid arcs and characters, but a lot of ass pulls and character retcons to fit the story have lessened its overall story. Plus, the current arc has been running for ages and I'm ready to see it end, even if it will mean there will be a shounen void there. Once One Piece ends though, I'm not so sure what will actually happen next. I'm sure that it ending will be one hell of a massive event, hopefully with Oda taking a nice long break. That man totally deserves it.

daveo42

Banned
I just thought it would artificially extend its storyline for a a few more years

There was an idea that they would extend the manga because
there are a fuckton of loose ends still dangling as to why everything that happened did, including an ever-changing main villain and the reasons behind the whole tree business. There would be potential in an actual Sasuke v Naruto arc to finish off the series, but I have my doubts that Kishi could pull it off.

ckohler

Good reviews, Seda. You're tastes are more discerning than I anticipated. I find I don't really care how "deep" a show is as long as it's entertaining.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 43

This is the episode that has achieved fame in recent times as the subject of that massive Sailor Moon fan project. That is all well and good but what is the actual quality of this episode, especially since there is no hideous 90s DiC dub to be found? Well, this falls about the middle range, it was not the resolute waste of time that the princess training episodes were, but it feels weaker then the past couple of episodes were. Mainly because watching the Sailor Scouts fight got old quickly. Usagi-Rei fighting on its own can be pretty exhausting but throw in the entire team and it just becomes tedious. On the other hand, it is nice to see the Scouts are being proactive for once and acting far more tactically then I have ever seen them, so kudos for that. Still, mild recommendation to avoid because fucking that bickering was annoying.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 44

Right, to underscore how pointless the last episode was, the goal of that plan, to find an opening to the Dark Kingdom just kind of happens at the beginning of this episode seemingly randomly by Sailor Venus. Indeed, the endgame is nearly at hand but first the time has finally come to complete the exposition on the past of Sailor Moon and the Sailor Guardians as well as their mortal foes The Dark Kingdom. Indeed, as an aside here, there have been people complaining about the lack of characterization in the new Sailor Moon Crystal, there is some merit to this, though the blander personalities of the scouts is kind of how it went in the manga. Anyway, for those who keep bitching about this, the original Sailor Moon series had it own characterization problems that people seem to be glossing over for various reasons.

I have gone into details about how badly they screwed up with Sailor Venus in previous reviews and other commentaries but this time I want to talk about the villains of this season, The Dark Kingdom. I suppose the original anime did a decent job of remaking the Four Great Kings in its own image but that did come at the expense of backstory as we only get the merest bare bones here. They were high ranking guardsmen who got corrupted by the power of Metalia and that is it. Still, they fared batter then Beryl who in spite of being the primary villain for most of the season and yet she never moved past the motivations of a Saturday morning cartoon villain and she is little more then Metalia unwavering herald. Metalia herself is almost a giant space flea out of nowhere since they chose to focus on Beryl most of the season. I will say this episode did an excellent job of showing what the true stakes of her revival shall mean.
Right, anyway, this episode gets an automatic highest recommendation as it is really one of the most important episodes of Sailor Mon produced.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees more info on Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax*

"Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!, The Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index, and Dokuro-chan from Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan...."

Oh hell yeah, this is gonna be awe....

"....are all support characters."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I WANTED TO USE DOKURO AGAINST KIRITO. I swear, this game better get a sequel so some of these support characters get upgraded to playable.

I'll be somewhat impressed if Kishi doesn't cheap out and actually confirms pairing. I cometely expect it to be left open to interpretation

bigkrev

I'm happy Naruto is ending- it means I can finally start reading it again (I stopped reading the manga around chapter 250, right around the timeskip), assuming it doesn't have a terrible ending.

If nothing else, I'm glad that it's another long running battle shounen that is finally ending

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just woke up to hear Naruto has a definitive ending.
Good!

*sees thread about it*
*sees people hope One Piece ends next*
Blaaaaaah

daveo42

Banned
I'll be somewhat impressed if Kishi doesn't cheap out and actually confirms pairing. I cometely expect it to be left open to interpretation

I'm sure he'll shoehorn it in somewhere. I'll stick with my initial guess on how I think Kishi will end it all.

I'm happy Naruto is ending- it means I can finally start reading it again (I stopped reading the manga around chapter 250, right around the timeskip), assuming it doesn't have a terrible ending.

If nothing else, I'm glad that it's another long running battle shounen that is finally ending

There are some really solid sections in the manga that are actually well paced out and interesting. It's just that the past few years up to now
have been a mix bag thanks to the over extended war arc and all of the characters coming out of the woodwork that we weren't even aware of until they showed up.
I too hope for a good ending as far too many manga, especially long running ones, seem to end on such sour notes.

Just woke up to hear Naruto has a definitive ending.
Good!

*sees thread about it*
*sees people hope One Piece ends next*
Blaaaaaah

Those people are just trolling or are hoping to see the end of another long running shounen manga in JUMP. One Piece still has at least another 5-10 years in it.

BatDan

I noticed that TeamFourStar played the museum scene in Hellsing Ultimate Abridged III exactly the same as the original. I guess since it was already a comedic scene, there wasn't much to change.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

There will be a confirmed pairing.
Naruto X Sasuke. Honestly not even joking. 90+% chance they die together and bring balance to the ninja Force or some ridiculous bullshit. Sakura becomes Hokage to troll everyone.

bigkrev

Naruto X Sasuke. Honestly not even joking. 90+% chance they die together and bring balance to the ninja Force or some ridiculous bullshit. Sakura becomes Hokage to troll everyone.

With only 5 chapters left
2 of them are fighting, 1 of them realizing their love for each other, 1 chapter of passionate love making in the style of SAO chapter 16.5, and then 1 chapter wrapping everything up

Raxus

Best

Ending

Ever

Hinata forever alone

Sadly this is already wrong since *endgame Naruto spoilers*
Naruto is confirmed to live via the movie.
At this point the only believable pairs have been
Hinata x Naruto because GOD DAMN did she try to get him to like her

and

Sasuke x Naruto because they have been obsessed with each other since chapter 2 of the series. Plus they even shared their first kiss! d'awwww...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm betting the ending is Naruto becoming hokage, all's well that ends well, the end.

....& then Shonen Jump will scramble to find another ninja manga to fill the readers' void....&/or something that they know can last a trillion issues.

Raxus

Terrible news to wake up too. At least we already knew the final outcome. I wanted a part 3 so much.
tumblr_ncvj30XQd91tm79fmo1_500.jpg

LOL. Even the gag series paired them together. (I dunno if this is actually true).
I'm betting the ending is Naruto becoming hokage, all's well that ends well, the end.

....& then Shonen Jump will scramble to find another ninja manga to fill the readers' void.

Meanwhile, everyone wonders why nobody reads Toriko...

daveo42

Banned
Best

Ending

Ever

Hinata forever alone

Sadly this is already wrong since *endgame Naruto spoilers*
Naruto is confirmed to live via the movie.
At this point the only believable pairs have been
Hinata x Naruto because GOD DAMN did she try to get him to like her

and

Sasuke x Naruto because they have been obsessed with each other since chapter 2 of the series. Plus they even shared their first kiss! d'awwww...

Don't you mean
Naruto x Sasuke and Hinata x Sakura? Other than that, I'd be fine if both Hinata and Sakura got the shaft and ended up forever alone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe the twist will be "Naruto & *insert female of choice here* have a kid, now the kid wants to become hokage & SJ can continue profiting from Naruto cuz new spin-off/spiritual sequel".

..........Naruto Z or GT or Brotherhood or Kai or whatever.

daveo42

Banned
You certainly made everyone in the Naruto thread glad they haven't caught up. lol

The only thing left to do now is convert the "Bleach is the best manga ever" crowd of one, which as it stands is impossible.

Really need to read Shokugeki no Soma.

bigkrev

The only thing left to do now is convert the "Bleach is the best manga ever" crowd, which as it stands is impossible.

Really need to read Shokugeki no Soma.

Assassination Classroom > Shokugeki no Soma, but Soma is more interesting than Assassination Classroom
I'm approx. a year behind in both series

BatDan

Assassination Classroom > Shokugeki no Soma, but Soma is more interesting than Assassination Classroom
I'm approx. a year behind in both series

I kind of lost track of AssClass. It felt like it was spinning its wheels for a while.
I need to catch up though.

Soma is great though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Naruto is ending, im legitamately sad guys, guess I'll catch up in the manga after I finish reading berserk.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still waiting for someone to animate Shokugeki no Soma just so we can get insanely detailed shots of the food after it's made.

Wasn't there an OVA of Assassination Classroom happening or something?

BatDan

I'm still waiting for someone to animate Shokugeki no Soma just so we can get insanely detailed shots of the food after it's made.

Wasn't there an OVA of Assassination Classroom happening or something?

An OVA was released last year.
A TV anime is coming in January.

Jarate

Banned
anybody else going to start Shingeki no Bahamut?

Ive heard really good things about it. Probably will also try watching some other shows coming out this season. Donten ni Warau Looks like it could be average, Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Looks like it could also be really average, Sanzoku no Musume Ronja will probably be beautiful, and Terra Formers looks horrifically racist in a very ignorant japanese way and looks like it could be absolutely hilarious

I think one that could either be absolutely incredible or absolutely dreadful is Tribe Cool Crew. Either way, i'll probably watch the firsst episodes of each and pass judgement of the entire show based on my limited viewings

Naruto is ending, im legitamately sad guys, guess I'll catch up in the manga after I finish reading berserk.

I don't know how I could go from Berserk to modern Naruto like that.

Jarate

Banned
This deserves a rewatch.

(don't read the comments)

Youtube Anime fans are the worst scum ever

these are the people that game journalists get pissed off at and then blame us for. Anime Youtube fans are the biggest scum on earth

I almost technically went out with a youtube bleach rp'er, luckily for myself, I made a very big mistake when we decided to meet for coffee, and I didn't end up going out with her. Looking back, I was desperate for poon, but man, im glad I avoided that train. Oh the life of an awkward 18 year old Jarate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom