• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen enough DTL posts to know this isn't true

:p

tumblr_mejnpu26Rm1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never seen an ounce of real sexual tension between Naruto and Sasuke, shippers be crazy. That's only in the show though, people might have a point with some of the openings...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are we watching the same anime? Naruto and Sasuke's obsession with each other is beyond that of normal best friends.

Remember that they are both friendless dorks though. People get obsessive over their first true friends and the fights between two can be painful.

(Ignores Naruto having friends, one father figure who is ignored after the first episode, then another much cooler father figure.)

Moaradin

Shippuden has a lot of very good openings that are way better than that one. Sucks that we may never see them, even if they are shortened.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
(This is the point where I DON'T ADMIT that there's a giant chuck of Shippuden I haven't seen and might have only watched the opening in threads like these over the years so I have no clue what any of these names are. Hell the only two I know the name of are Hero's Come Back and distance, aka YOU ARE MY FRIEND AAAH AAH)

daveo42

Banned
I'm realizing I know nothing of Naruto OP post You Are My Friend. I quit watching the show after this arc and could never bring myself back to the show due to the
copious amount of filler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm realizing I know nothing of Naruto OP post You Are My Friend. I quit watching the show after this arc and could never bring myself back to the show due to the
copious amount of filler.

Funny thing is...I've quit on this arc twice before. Right in the middle of it. Before the filler started. It's like my brain knew I wasn't ready for it.

daveo42

Banned
Funny thing is...I've quit on this arc twice before. Right in the middle of it. Before the filler started. It's like my brain knew I wasn't ready for it.

My main issue with the filler here is how much of a lead time the manga had over the anime at the time. In my mind I was thinking that because of that massive lead time, there shouldn't be any need for filler arcs for good long while. The first one that popped up was my limit and I was out. That was even after forgiving the insanely poor pacing of the first two arcs just because Naruto was back on the air and it was actual canon episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My main issue with the filler here is how much of a lead time the manga had over the anime at the time. In my mind I was thinking that because of that massive lead time, there shouldn't be any need for filler arcs for good long while. The first one that popped up was my limit and I was out. That was even after forgiving the insanely poor pacing of the first two arcs just because Naruto was back on the air and it was actual canon episodes.

Yep, and this is exactly why people think the Naruto Non-Canon™ material is so awful, they were all fired up by the manga for the first two arcs. Then the anime ruins it with the worst pacing ever (above and beyond the awful animation) and heads into filler barely a year into its run anyways! Luckily it all works out in the end and Shippuden apparently has even better Non-Canon™ material than OG Naruto.

D4HEbSa.png

DByPyiC.png
vOAuWcS.png

Previously:
episode 62
episode 63

Last time on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the team’s ticket home was destroyed. Now, in episode 64, they are informed of a new extraction point: an isolated, volcanic island. They make their way to the island, fighting off droid attacks along the way. R2 decides to tell his droids that they need to stay behind to serve as shieldshold off the enemy while the others climb down a cliff. They are quickly destroyed. Meanwhile, Count Dooku calls Christopher Walken to remind him and the audience of the MacGuffin that both Tarkin and Piell have memorized.

hEu1yks.png
3HNnRWr.png

Christopher Walken decides to release the hounds with some creatures called anoobas. They look about how you’d expect an alien wolf/dog/thing to look, though they have one massive goofy tooth on their lower jaws that looks like it would make attacking anything extremely difficult. Tarkin whines about the possibility that the gunships won’t be at the extraction point, which prompts Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan to rehash the conversation last episode about how the Jedi are simply peacekeepers with a code that sometimes prevents them from doing crazy wartime stuff. Anakin mentions to Tarkin that arguing with Piell is not the greatest career move, to which Tarkin replies that he doesn’t have to worry too much since he’s “fallen into favor with the Chancellor.” They have a weird bonding moment over this in case you didn't get the idea yet.

4k4RD6U.png
cgexjxh.png
o8pjjCU.png
u9mdvrI.png

The team hears the anoobas howl in the distance and decides to ambush them. When the creatures arrive, Anakin and Obi-Wan (who were out front as bait) start outright slaughtering them. The remaining members of the team, who hid as the anoobas passed, are ambushed by droids, which Ahoska and Piell stay behind to fight. The battle commences, and Piell is soon mauled by an anooba and forced to pass on his half of the MacGuffin to Ahsoka. In the aftermath, the team wraps Piell’s body and lowers it into the lava as a funeral. Christopher Walken hops onto a flying Segway with another droid squad and heads off to find the escapees.

OLe2Lng.png
yfEYocV.png

The Republic ships arrive as the team nears the island and are attacked by the flying Segways. Christopher Walken is shot down and nearly kills Tarkin before Ahsoka sticks a lightsaber through his chest. Tarkin thanks her and tells Anakin that he has trained her well, but because he’s a future villain he does this like it’s no big deal and he’s been saying it all along. The team manages to board a gunship and escape. Back on Coruscant, Tarkin remarks that he’s been ordered to tell his half of the MacGuffin not to the Jedi Council, but to Palpatine. Ahsoka promised Piell that she’d only talk to the Council. Anakin asks Plo Koon if Ahsoka if he assigned her to the mission (which should be obvious at this point), to which he gives the cheestastic answer, “It appears I did.” Tarkin shakes hands with Anakin as faint echoes of the Darth Vader theme play, and he says that he wishes more Jedi had Anakin’s “military sensibilities” and offers to put in a good word with Palpatine. Anakin says to Obi-Wan that he thinks they need people like Tarkin. Get it? Get it? Do you? Do you? Obi-Wan says honor is the most important in a war, and that sacrificing their code can make them lose that.

The short length of the recap here sort of speaks to the quality of the episode. There's a ton of action, but it's not really noteworthy enough for me to give a play by play. It's good, don't get me wrong, but after three episodes the novelty has worn off to the point where I think the only notable thing is how brutal the killing of the anoobas can be. The maddeningly obvious foreshadowing with Tarkin continues to be an issue, as do the contrivances that result in Ahsoka being important. The Citadel arc is fine and a vast improvement over how shitty the Mortis arc eventually became, but it feels a little drawn-out and its two main subplots are annoying. Piell was a bit of a fun character, though mostly because I just pictured him as Yoda if Yoda was a hardass Russian.

B-

Raxus

Yep, and this is exactly why people think the Naruto Non-Canon™ material is so awful, they were all fired up by the manga for the first two arcs. Then the anime ruins it with the worst pacing ever (above and beyond the awful animation) and heads into filler barely a year into its run anyways! Luckily it all works out in the end and Shippuden apparently has even better Non-Canon™ material than OG Naruto.

RIP dragon dicks.

I'd like to add I am loving your reviews GMN. Just throwing that out there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think GMN has quite emphasized just how awful the voice is of the main villain of this arc. It's...bad. Bleach...bad.

RIP dragon dicks.

I'd like to add I am loving your reviews GMN. Just throwing that out there.

hooray somebody reads them!

I don't think GMN has quite emphasized just how awful the voice is of the main villain of this arc. It's...bad. Bleach...bad.

true. Christopher Walken With Strep Throat sounds kind of cool, and this guy is....not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIECBDNBkQ

also, searching for him on youtube is hard. for some reason he's the subject of rap battles and music videos.

LOLDSFAN

So I finished up Bleach and One Piece.

Bleach: A lot happened which was cool. That Giriko fight was too funny. Dude turned into Hulk and get rekt. Can't wait for this fight.

PEJe6m5.jpg

One Piece: Glad to see they finally finished up that Luffy/Blueno from the bar fight. Looks like Luffy's other trick might be turning into a Titan.

tumblr_mkegzbNGde1qk22uwo1_500.gif

Only two episodes left in season 3. I'm probably gonna take a break between seasons next week (also because I have like three papers due.)

I'll probably do the movie and the fucking horrible Jar Jar episode that Toonami skipped that weekend, though.

WOW. That is...anime all right.

I thought Red Bull didn't actually give you wings, let alone on your dick.

What the hell did I just watch? A show about a guy who is really good at blowing his load?

What the hell did they do to the Sora no Otoshimono opening?
God i remember that show i was a lot younger but i saw like two episodes before i said f this im done

Oh yeah, ik why i remembered that so well. I have ring my bell on my ipod. It grows on you really fast and i see it linked around a decent bit.

I've already bought every season of Heaven's Lost Property on Amazon today.
It affected me that much.

BBboy20

Big O only on Tomatoes.
That gave me a bigger chuckle then it should.

Luffy's always has to depend on others just to do basic things, he's well aware of his own inadequacies and while he rushes into battle, it's always because he trusts his cremated so much. Luffy is a bro
Wait, he's aware he's a knucklehead?

So, they're just going to exploit it like any other franchise then actually try making Sword Art Online itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom