• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Nah, it's definitely because of budget first and foremost. All TV shows do this. Episodes that make creative use of what they've got available to save budget.

For example, the various Star Trek series have episodes called "bottle shows" that are deliberate budget saving episodes that take place solely on the existing main sets (the name based on the concept of a "ship in a bottle"). Many other shows do the same sort of thing.

The fact that they chose to use the limited budget for comedic effect IS a creative choice, though.

I disagree. If this was soley an issue of budet, the characters would be on model but just poorly drawn or on model with sloppy animation. This Looney Toons style look is a signature style of Imaishi he uses from time to time in his other stuff like Panty and Stocking and Gurren Lagann.

I agree they are saving money doing this but the way this looks isn't only about cutting costs. There is a big difference between the kind of shit budget cutting stuff shows like Naruto does and this where the style lends itself to a savings. Nothing about this looks bad. It just looks simplified for comedic effect.

I bet the artists just had so much fun drawing some of these faces.

Exactly what I mean. If this was only about budget, the drawings wouldn't be this fun.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 45 - Kaio-Ken Times Twenty! An All-Or-Nothing Kamehame-Ha!
12:00 - Akame ga Kill! - 3 - Kill the Grudge
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 4 - Kill the Imperial Arm User
1:00 - Akame ga Kill! - 5 - Kill the Empty Dream
1:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 6 - Kill Absolute Justice
1:00 - Akame ga Kill! - 7 - Kill the Three Beasts - First Half
1:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 8 - Kill the Three Beasts - Second Half
2:00 - Akame ga Kill! - 9 - Kill the Lust for Combat
2:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 10 - Kill the Seduction
3:00 - Akame ga Kill! - 11 - Kill the Mad Scientist

Later.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You mean every dub vs sub thread? At leas that one had scientific evidence that less then 1% of people prefer subs to dubs! Definitive proof!
Yeah, I didnt see it on the front page for long despite it having a ton of pages, which could only mean that they got the thread locked.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 45 - Kaio-Ken Times Twenty! An All-Or-Nothing Kamehame-Ha!

Later.
Heaven really is punishing us

I mean even if it was an artistic decision it was still clearly planned to be a budget saving episode. Money makes the world go round and even if this is something he's done in every series he's done it's still "we can save money and still look good by doing loony tunes" not "lets do loony tunes to save money"

Next week on Toonami:

Later.

All we need is kill.

Next week on Toonami:

Later.

Will probably rewatch episodes 1 and 2 before the marathon

Why couldn't next week be a KLK marathon?

Well dont know if I'll be here next week so later ToonamiGAF.

They already did a KLK marathon, doing a marathon for a new popular show makes a lot of sense lets people who were late get caught up easily.

ckohler

I mean even if it was an artistic decision it was still clearly planned to be a budget saving episode. Money makes the world go round and even if this is something he's done in every series he's done it's still "we can save money and still look good by doing loony tunes" not "lets do loony tunes to save money"

I see it more as, "I want to do a Loony Toons episode. Those are fun. Oh, and it'll save us some money because it'll be easier to animate."

At least we get to see more of Justice Girl next week. She and the soundtrack are maybe the only things halfway decent about Akame Ga Kill.

Crazy2_zps55dcd65a.jpg

It actually might have been a decent series if we focused more on the villains to be honest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We, and I mean me and the few others who brave the marathon can hash out an official thread ranking of the VAs of the show. Any character in more than one episode gets on the list.

Next week on Toonami:

Later.

But will they ever Kill the Kill?

please tell me that's the name of the last episode

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree. If this was soley an issue of budet, the characters would be on model but just poorly drawn or on model with sloppy animation. This Looney Toons style look is a signature style of Imaishi he uses from time to time in his other stuff like Panty and Stocking and Gurren Lagann.

I agree they are saving money doing this but the way this looks isn't only about cutting costs. There is a big difference between the kind of shit budget cutting stuff shows like Naruto does and this where the style lends itself to a savings. Nothing about this looks bad. It just looks simplified for comedic effect.

It doesn't look like shit like Naruto because Trigger's idea of cutting costs doesn't involve farming the whole episode out to D-tier Taiwanese studios.

Next week on Toonami:

Later.
All the episodes are seriously called "Kill..."? This fucking show I swear.

Yes, Studio Pierrot is known for producing animation of dubious quality sometimes...

tumblr_inline_nl48f7tIFt1sh6ybu.gif

Though, to be fair, Pierrot clearly does their work on a budget. Considering that, their work typically looks decent, and sometimes even looks great.

And hell, even Studio Bones puts out bad animation once in a while.

fa11460obkrk.gif

Raxus

It's from NOT! The original series never remotely looked that bad.

It should also be noted it was fixed somewhat in the DVD for wide release (even if it isn't that much better at least it is something)

Great stuff SAB

It's like Vegeta is wearing nothing at all

nothing at all

nothing at all

nothing at all...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. What a weird night.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
A bit slow, felt like OG DBZ. Feels like Toei was purposely dragging this out.
Almost to "that" part.

Akame ga Kill:
So glad Stylish is dead now, his voice was way too annoying.
This battle felt longer in the manga... maybe it's because I took a break in the middle of it? *shrugs*
Not going to bother with the marathon.

Parasyte:
Good lord Shinichi's voice is awful. I'm sure he's a fine actor but the direction really fucked this up.
First major Parasyte dead. So long Mr. A, your derpface will be missed.
Dog Migi is still weirdly adorable.

Michiko & Hatchin:
Something about the Chinese mob, and passports, and crossdressing. I guess?

Naruto Shippuden
Get REKT Hidan! Bat-Shikamaru is the man!
And Naruto changed up his Rasengan... yep.

One Piece:
The Straw Hat's new ship is revealed, and it is glorious! Of course, they want the man that built it to sail with them. But he doesn't "want" to join so what do they do? Take his briefs! Make him run naked through the city! Of course we can't show him from the front, this is still a kid's show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom