• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really interested to see how season 2 turns out. Everything I've heard about the future AoT stuff seems weird.

The story really breaks from the mold to do some world building.

I feel like it adds a lot to the story, but the action gets put a bit on the back burner

Line_HTX

CQcs8K0WwAAiq71.jpg

Nightmare fuel.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wow, I forgot Dengeki Bunko is out this week.

YOU GUYS READY TO HAVE KIRITO FIGHT KIRINO FROM OREIMO WHILE SUMMONING CELTY FROM DURARARA ON A VALKYRIA CHRONICLES STAGE?!

I just look at the new SAO movie news like...

giphy.gif

The thirst for Fairy Tail that I have planted will infest the system!

No one can stop it now!

Grexeno

That would make a lot of sense.
I mean, Attack on Titan S2, especially if it was something close to a Space Dandy situation where the episodes are airing either before or very soon after the Japanese airing, could be considered too big to show at 12:30 or later.

I mean, Attack on Titan S2, especially if it was something close to a Space Dandy situation where the episodes are airing either before or very soon after the Japanese airing, could be considered too big to show at 12:30 or later.

But do you think we'll get a simulcast? The chances seem slim to none in my opinion unless toonami throws money at the project.

Grexeno

But do you think we'll get a simulcast? The chances seem slim to none in my opinion unless toonami throws money at the project.
I don't really know. Attack on Titan SHOULD, out of any possible list of shows, be at the very top of the list for a simuldub, and I don't think it's crazy to think about Adult Swim putting money down to get something so huge on TV as close to the Japanese airing as possible.

ckohler

Last night's theme was "big bros". On to the reviews:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - The pacing felt a bit slower than usual for Kai. Watching Frieza get frustrated is so satisfying thanks to all the build up. BTW, were all Sayians bad or were they subjugated by Frieza? Because I wonder if blowing up the planet did the universe a favor. A pretty good episode, especially thanks to pissed off Goku. Rating: Vegeta's Tears

Akame ga Kill - This show ain't no Gurren Lagann, no matter how many parallels are drawn ("bro", brotherly punch, sacrifice, etc.) To be fair, the episode wasn't terrible it's just that I have never been able to get invested in these characters, particularly the mustache guy who only appeared in one episode before this. Hearing "danger beasts" makes me groan every time it's uttered. At least we have a new crazy girl to look forward to. Rating: Trump Cards x 10

Parasyte - First up, the voice performances are thankfully much better than in AgK. The Mom's voice wasn't good but the rest of the cast sounded fine to me. I like the premise which seems to be John Carpenter's "The Thing" mixed with some shonen. The animation also looks great. The pacing was a little slow but this was the first episode so I can overlook it. I'm intrigued. Rating: Creepy

Michiko & Hatchin - I think I'm an outlier here but I can't get into this show anymore. It feels more like I'm enduring it than enjoying it. It's got style with great animation and great music and slick action but every character (besides Hatchin) is so scummy I just don't care about them; especially Michiko who never grows or changes. I think I just want to see how the story ends at this point. Rating: Busted motor

Naruto: Shippuden - This episode was okay if you skip the parts with Naruto training because who honestly gives a crap about those characters? The battle between the Akatsuki is really what makes this episode good and it's always great to see Kakashi kicking butt. Even with the training scenes, this is still leaps and bounds better than early Shippuden. Rating: Searing Migrane

One Piece - Just awful. Practically no redeeming qualities. A terrible premise with terrible filler characters with lackluster animation. It makes the previous filler episode feel Oscar worthy. Rating: Zero Piece

KLL la KILL - Such a hype first episode. Seeing Ryuko in her original outfit makes me wish Toonami would air the OAV episode as a bonus. Rating: Way Found Again

Seda

So, is there a Japanese phrase that most directly translates to 'Trump Card' or did Sentai just decide to use that like twelve times in the English episode on their own?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So, is there a Japanese phrase that most directly translates to 'Trump Card' or did Sentai just decide to use that like twelve times in the English episode on their own?

Took a quick look at the sub for this episode. It appears that most of the time they're using the phrase "okunote."

QRmTFn3.png

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So blame the original writers for the overuse of "trump card" I guess.

Well, Sentai also could have used a thesaurus. :D

It's basically a turn of phrase. If you look at the kanji, "oku" is "back," "rear," or "interior," and "te" is "hand." So basically the phrase is implying that you've got something hidden behind your hand, a la a trump card in Spades.

SAO can't be stopped. Won't be stopped.

When we're all on the brink of death someday, and more SAO will probably be in production, we'll just to look at it. And acknowledge that it outlasted us all.

Kirito will have extended his harem to alternate realities or some bullshit.

There are several cases where game adaptations are better than their source material.

Special edition consoles are for losers tho

#standardedition4lyfe

Normally I'd agree but the vast majority of PS4 special edition consoles only have a custom faceplate. If somebody is picking up the system for the 1st time and likes SAO I don't see a problem but if you're spending $400 for what is essentially an extra faceplate then lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The SAO games aren't bad, well, besides the "localization" of the first one.

They're not world beaters by any stretch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom