• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So is anyone keeping track of the new stuff we've been getting? I think this is accurate:

May 27: "I Am Alive" Review
June 3: "Building a Better Cartoon Show" Speech
June 10: "Diablo 3" Review
June 17: "To Hell With Fear" Music Video
June 24: Deadman Wonderland Promo
July 1: "Reruns" Speech
July 8: Casshern Sins Promo

Basically seems like a new minute-long or so video every week, which is actually pretty great IMO. If they ever have gaps, they can put two or three of these in the same night and it'd feel just like old Toonami.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ie0tqa3t3cLaW.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So lets say ratings for toonami gets better, and the budget for it can increase. What would you guys like to see in 2013 or 2014?

Me, I'd like too see SARA return. Hoping for some funny interaction between her and TOM

I'd also like to see a airing of Justice League and Justice Unlimited. Besides being great series, it'd help remind people Toonami isn't an anime only block.

Finally I hope Williams Street will be able to pick up that Michiko to Hatchin show. Saw a trailer and it looks interesting kinda like a modern Cowboy Bebop.

Things I want from Toonami before I deem the revival "perfect":

- SARA, definitely
- YuYu Hakasho
- Some kind of Invader-like event... probably won't happen, but who knows, CG costs have dropped in the last decade, right?
- The block expanding to fill the entire Saturday night (long shot, but hey, we're talking 2013/2014 right?)

Shows I think could be a good fit:

- Gundam AGE (or really, any Gundam, AGE is the most recent and it ain't bad despite the hatas)
- One Piece (if the block expanded, they could show two eps a week, which would help them catch up faster)
- New Lupin 3rd?
- New Sailor Moon? Could be a good 2014 show.

I really think YYH is the only old show that needs to come back. JL/U can be aired on regular CN anytime. If they wanted to dig into the Adult Swim back catalog, old Lupin 3rd, Death Note, Durarara!!, Case Closed, and Shin Chan wouldn't be bad picks to slot in when GITS, FMA B, and Bebop finish their runs.

Jintor

There's only one thing I really want: Peter Cullen (no offence to their new VO guy, but... fucking Optimus Prime narrating your bullshit, goddamn)

I really think YYH is the only old show that needs to come back. JL/U can be aired on regular CN anytime. If they wanted to dig into the Adult Swim back catalog, old Lupin 3rd, Death Note, Durarara!!, Case Closed, and Shin Chan wouldn't be bad picks to slot in when GITS, FMA B, and Bebop finish their runs.

They lost the rights to all of those shows except for Durarara!!. That might be gone too, since it's been a year since that started airing.

If they decided to expand and pick up old Adult Swim/CN Toonami shows, I think they should go for stuff like Big O (S1), Samurai Champloo, Trigun and Outlaw Star.

Then put Toonami 2013 something like:

11pm: Bleach x2
12am: New Shows (eg. Steins;Gate/Panty and Stocking/Whatever else people are craving to see)
1am: Reruns of new stuff (eg. FMA:B, Deadman and Casshern)
2am-4am: Oldschool stuff (eg. Bebop, FLCL, GitS and the stuff mentioned above)
4am-6am: Reruns of Bleach and New Shows.

Perfect.

Amikami

Banned
I don't know about Bleach, lol. And I'm not sure what Panty and Stocking is, but I would love to see a rerunning of Wolf's Rain even if it is older. Last time I've seen it is when Adult swim showed it years ago. I think it would be an okay fit for the new Toonami.

I hope Panty & Stocking never comes here.
A lot of people want it. I'm not sure about it, since it's more comedy than action.

Double dose of Bleach would make me kill myself.
Don't tune in until midnight, then. That's why I put it at 11. And doubling up means it leaves quicker. At the current rate, it will stay until July 2014.

No Yu Yu Hakusho?
I don't know why people are asking for YuYu, to be honest. It's a 100+ episode show, so it would take at least 2 years to get through. Whereas 26 episode shows like Bebop and Outlaw Star only take 6 months, so you can switch them in and out to keep it fresh.

Ultratech

Welp, went to a wedding last night, so I missed out on DMW and Casshern goodness. :(

Just watched DMW (subbed...AS has the full episode up but I can't get access to it), and that was some...stuff I guess.

BTW, did anybody notice the collar the dog was wearing? (HINT HINT)

Toonami can barely fill 3 hours with their own programming, with is why it should've been 2 hours to start off with. They're not taking the 11 PM slot unless Williams Street somehow buys them out and keeps the Toonami name.
I hope Panty & Stocking never comes here.
1129087018806.gif

Toonami can barely fill 3 hours with their own programming, with is why it should've been 2 hours to start off with. They're not taking the 11 PM slot unless Williams Street somehow buys them out and keeps the Toonami name.

Uh, Williams Street is Adult Swim is Toonami.

That said, if the budget grows it should go to programming first, continuity second (promos, videos, etc. - not SARA, she's not needed).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Panty & Stocking is the best thing and anyone who says otherwise is a terrible human being and also wrong and also likes to sniff their own butt. Yeah, you heard me.

jph139

- New Lupin 3rd?

Do you know how much boobs are in the new Lupin? A LOT of boobs. Too much boobs, I think. Some episodes are pretty nearly 90% boobs.

It's a good show but too much boobs to show I think.

I'd like to see Panty and Stocking; I think it'd be a good fit for Adult Swim in general. But frankly I haven't seen heard of any action shows over the past few years that would really fit on the block - other than Shonen Jump stuff, that is.

Yeah, the only way for Toonami to start before midnight any time soon is if they decide to show Panty & Stocking at 11.30pm as an Adult Swim show.

I'd like to see Panty and Stocking; I think it'd be a good fit for Adult Swim in general. But frankly I haven't seen heard of any action shows over the past few years that would really fit on the block - other than Shonen Jump stuff, that is.

There are plenty. Tiger and Bunny is probably the most fitting one.

B.K.

I'm sure Eureka 7 AO is pretty much a lock for Adult Swim/Toonami in the next year or so. It's a sequel to a show they've shown before and it's being dubbed by Funimation.

Takao

Banned
I'm sure Eureka 7 AO is pretty much a lock for Adult Swim/Toonami in the next year or so. It's a sequel to a show they've shown before and it's being dubbed by Funimation.

Bandai Entertainment may have paid for that show to get on the air, and from what I've heard it wasn't a ratings smash. Far from a lock.

Seda

DeMarco: "This week's new thingy is a game review! Bet ya can't guess what game it's for! Hint: It's a weird one."

Lollipop Chainsaw?

Seda

A big storm hit my area hard and I've been without cable for two weeks. Can some get me up to speed with whats going on in Dead Man Wonderland?

So you're good up to episode 5 or so? Today's episode is number 8.

Here's the previous 3 episodes... I'm stealing some of this from Wikipedia, but I'll try to be more clear and concise than that summary is. Links are just pics for aid.

EDIT: Episode 6 and 7 have some pretty neat stuff, as well as a handful of spoilers. Since you asked, I wrote up a summary with links below, but as cosmic says, you really should watch episode 6 without being SPOILED.

SPOILERS

Episode 5: "Carnival Corpse" (You may have seen this one but can be a refresher)
Ganta is forced to fight Crow (the big guy scared of women). He didn't seem to stand a chance, but Ganta wins the match because of the the usual shonen 'never give up!' bs. After Ganta recovers from his victory, he is horrified to find that Crow is forced to have one of his eyes removed as a result of losing as part of a penalty round.
Meanwhile, Yō and Shiro head towards G-Block after Yō hears the whereabouts of a woman he is searching for. Yō really just wanted to Shiro as a diversion so he can get into G-Block on his own, but then bears witness to her true destructive ability, as she herself has the DeadMan blood powers too. However, Shiro falls unconscious after this fight.

Episode 6: "Hummingbird"
Shiro is taken away unconscious. Ganta meets a girl named Minatsuki, another Deadman who had killed her abusive father. Ganta and Minatsuki try to escape, but fail, and Ganta is shocked to learned she is his opponent in the next Corpse Carnival fight. When the match begins, Minatsuki's personality changes completely she had manipulated him with her innocent girl act. Her attacks are basically Blood whips. Yō then appears during the fight, revealing Minatsuki to be his younger sister and who he's been looking for. Basically, the whole reason Yo is in Deadman Wonderland is the first place is an effort to try to get Minatsuki out by accumulating cast points to buy her sentence. She tries to manipulate Yō against Ganta, but he turns on her instead. Minatsuki captures Yō and uses him as a human shield against Ganta, , Ganta manages to disable one of her whips and free Yō, before knocking her out with a headbutt, winning the match.

Episode 7: "Wretched Egg"

Minasuki, Yo, and Ganta after the fight. As Ganta recalls his childhood with Shiro, Yo can't bring himself to mention what he had seen her do [in Episode 5]. As Yo goes to recover the casts that were stolen from him, he learns from Tamaki that cast points can't be used to reduce the sentences on G-Block inmates (basically making everything he's been doing meaningless). Yo is attacked by Genkaku, part of an Anti-Deadman force known as the Undertakers. Meanwhile, Ganta meets Nagi "Owl" Kengamine and Karako Koshio, members of a Deadman group known as Scar Chain wanting to destroy Deadman Wonderland, who invite him to join their gang. As Minatsuki goes through her penalty game, Nagi (somehow) arranges it so that she only loses her hair. Just then, Genkaku appears and attacks Ganta and the others. Also in this Episode, Shiro is revealed to be the "Red Man", seemingly has a split personality, as she is heard referring to "Shiro" as though she is a different person.

/SPOILERS

Seda

You REALLY should watch episode 6. Don't read Seda's post on that and experience it for yourself.

Yeah episode 6 was crazy. If you have Comcast Xfinity, terrdactycalsrock, you should be able to watch it dubbed....legally. Assuming you still have internet connection.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A big storm hit my area hard and I've been without cable for two weeks. Can some get me up to speed with whats going on in Dead Man Wonderland?

If you can log into the Gold Episodes on adultswim.com (you likely can since you have cable), you can watch the last 3 episodes of Deadman Wonderland there.

http://video.adultswim.com/deadman-wonderland/index.html

(Note they're listed in reverse order...Carnival Corpse is episode 5, Hummingbird 6, Wretched Egg 7.)

While I'm at it, here's tonight's lineup:

12:00 - Bleach - 262 - The Tragic Sword Beast! Haineko, Crying!
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 8 - Scar Chain
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 8 - A Hymn of Hope

1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 39 - Daydream
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 24 - NUCLEAR POWER
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 22 - Cowboy Funk

Seda

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Episodes 1-3 are also up there and available to anybody (only the Gold episodes require some kind of log-in).

All of the currently airing Toonami shows have episodes up there available to anybody, as well as Durarara!! and Big O, and they cycle out on a weekly basis, I believe. The only thing that sucks is that they don't have the episodes clearly marked by number, and they're not all in the same order, so you have to know what episode each title corresponds to.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is particularly worth noting there, as it has episodes 1-5 available right now.

RedSwirl

Shows I think could be a good fit:

- Gundam AGE (or really, any Gundam, AGE is the most recent and it ain't bad despite the hatas)
- One Piece (if the block expanded, they could show two eps a week, which would help them catch up faster)
- New Lupin 3rd?
- New Sailor Moon? Could be a good 2014 show.

The Eureka Seven AO dub maybe.
Persona 4 dub
Michiko to Hatchin since Funimation just got it
Inuyasha the Final Act dub

Woah woah woah....
wait a minute shiro is the red man!?!
Ahhhh thats so messed up and awesome! Also Im glade to get a little back story on Yo because I wasnt really sure why he was there to start with.
Its really messed up that his sister would use him as a shield and try to play him off of Ganta.
But I cant really expcet anything less from DMW I guess. That new group sounds interesting hopfully we're get to see them tongiht.

Thanks for the updates, I really appreciate it

DJ88

Wow, that's a pretty huge spoiler in the first sentence of your post. I'd edit that if I were you.

EDIT: Ok you got it now.

Preble

The Eureka Seven AO dub maybe.
Persona 4 dub
Michiko to Hatchin since Funimation just got it
Inuyasha the Final Act dub

Yeah I really hope they can pick up Michiko to Hatchin and Inuyasha. Add in some reruns of Justice League Unlimited, I could see some potential ratings grabbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom