• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation completely revolutionised gaming's culture and perception

Sanepar

Yeap but now with missmanagement and lost of focus sony is conducting playstation to irrelevance. If they want to come back. Sell or close bungie. Focus only on your core skill(sp games), buy more studios that make high quality sp games and focus only on that.

Anyone drove their parents crazy with blasting fire starter in wipeout?
I sure as shit did lol

Wipeout was probably the first time I’d heard real world music in a game before and it included some absolute bangers.

Apparently this was due to Sony having record rights with the likes of The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers etc

Sony UK’s decision to associate PlayStation with clubbing really paid off I think

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
They have indeed. Nowadays tho? :messenger_astonished:
Nowadays they are investing in every front, from VR to mobile gaming, to single player games (most of them feel premium af), to live games. Even in terms of controller. Going from the Dual Sense to any other feels like a step backwards. The PS5 is snappy as hell and going back to a PS4 is a fucking slog.

If anything the PS5 era feels more like a step forward than the PS4 which felt cheap and clearly a damage control console after the PS3. It played much more safe than PS5 in every way. The one thing taking longer is the games this gen but those will come as well. (and they have)

Last edited:

Thanati

I was an Amiga fan and got a 486 at uni. I saw an advert in a local paper for a PlayStation and a bag of games for 70 quid.

Went over, bought it and even to this day, have the fondest memories of that gray box.

Loved the original PlayStation (coming from a PC and Xbox person here).

IAmRei

You all forgot how Nintendo Nes and lot of 80s inventions contribution in video game industry. And erotic game is there since 80s, game is not exclusive for kid since long time.

SenkiDala

SEGA were translating RPGs in several languages back on the MegaDrive. Story of Thor, Landstalker, Soleil, Light Crusader were all in several European languages. SEGA-CD games were also in several languages, FMV games (at least 4 of them are dubbed in French) and Dune for example.

SNES also had several translated games, such as Secret of Mana/Evermore, Zelda III, Illusion of Time or Terranigma.
We went from "several" to "almost every" games. On PS1 still plenty of JRPGs didn't release in French but they did it more and more, it was all new.

Bringing licences like the Squaresoft ones in Europe, translated, was a great push for the implentation of games in EU.

And you're basically naming every games that came out translated. Even Shining Force games that were SEGA games came out in English... EVEN SHENMUE 1 AND 2 IN 2000... That fact you can name all the SNES JRPGs that came out translated, like this, means a lot.

Sony did a really good job at squarely targeting their early marketing at 19 year olds

The bit about marketing Crash Bandicoot by putting prostitute style cards in phone booths advertising “Randy Bandy” is oddly genius

Last edited:
It was SEGA Europe who started the trend of looking to appeal to older gamers and making gaming more 'cool. Ok, it was more aimed at the older male gamer, but it was still for me where it started.

SEGA Europe and the likes of Simon Morris who was the 1st to look to have music stars and film/TV stars seen playing their games, having Mega Drive demo pods at Cathy Dennis music gigs, big sponsorship of Football, F1 and even going on TV shows like James Whale Radio show years before Bits would be a thing. All of us young males watched the James Whale Radio show on a late Friday night for tits and music

SEGA America looked to use Mr Big Eric Martin to make music in their SEGA CD games, hell even US Gold beat SONY to it by having the Scorpion's music in World Cup USA 94 on the Mega CD LOL never mind the use of it in Amiga and PC games

PlayStation fans will be giving credit to SONY for inventing video games next...

Last edited:

Fess

Yeah, changed my life.

Been gaming for over 40 years, in late 80s early 90s I used to be told that I was too old for games since it was for young kids, or so they said even though I was chopping heads on C64. Caused me to never talk about games with people until I knew them well, made me unwillingly silent.

Then came Playstation and suddenly coworkers talked about video games and I was the cool guy that had so many games and knew stuff, still seen as the guy with deep knowledge even though I don’t really know anything I’ve just been playing games for a long time.

I don’t like Playstation much today though since I moved to PC and they delay everything there. Hopefully they will make a launcher and start releasing games day 1 there.

having Mega Drive demo pods at Cathy Dennis music gigs

Was that so bored 12 year old kids could play Sonic while wondering why mum had dragged them along to see Cathy Dennis? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sega’s “attempts” clearly didn’t work did they, as we all well know

Anyway, here’s a segment covering Sony collaborating with DJ Sasha and promoting WipEout 3 during a set in Ibiza during the year of trance, 1999 (now this attempt to court adults DID work)

The game itself still holds up remarkably well too…

Last edited:

bosnianpie

Sony really did a terrific job grabbing an entire generation of players who were ready dissociate themselves from Mario so they could keep on gaming through high school, college and adult life. Before PS that was very much nerd territory and not necessarily in a positive way.

That ad with the room changing through the years while a PS is always connected really captures us who grew up with the brand. I think a large chunk of the loyalty and fandom stems from riding that wave for so long.

FStubbs

I'll say this again, many of the teenagers and young adults on PlayStation were kids on the NES. Two kids who had to share an NES moved out and bought their own Playstations.:messenger_grinning:

cireza

Gold Member
it was all new
Well no, it wasn't new. That's the point. You had more of them, but it is not as if they were non-existent. And this was a natural tendency anyway, SEGA have always been large supporters of RPGs and were releasing in the West a ton of them while Nintendo and other publishers weren't doing any effort. Not only were they releasing them, but they were behind the development/funding of a ton of them.

Sony or not, it would have evolved this way.

Last edited:

Fess

I think we are forgetting PC gaming which was always for adults.

Although Sony definitely made it cool.
Must’ve been a small market. I can barely remember anything before PS1 that wasn’t better played on the Amiga or later SNES. Maybe something in the early 90s in that case, Wing Commander was something else, unreachable for any other hardware, and DOOM was cool.

Was that so bored 12 year old kids could play Sonic while wondering why mum had dragged them along to see Cathy Dennis? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sega’s “attempts” clearly didn’t work did they, as we all well know

Anyway, here’s a segment covering Sony collaborating with DJ Sasha and promoting WipEout 3 during a set in Ibiza during the year of trance, 1999 (now this attempt to court adults DID work)

The game itself still holds up remarkably well too…

I remember when BBC Top Of The Pops wouldn't play some of Cathy Dennis's vids and stuff Sonic, some of us were playing one of the 1st 18-rated console game with Snatcher
It's not about sales, it's about giving credit to those who started the ball rolling and made the moves for others to build on SEGA Europe looked to attract the older gamer and other corps looked to use music bands to provide music for their games long before SONY came to console, one of the reasons I wanted an Amiga was for Bomb The Bass music in Xenon 2

Oh, BTW that BITS video you linked is from my channel. Yes this Sonic boy, watched BITS too

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There a reason we’re arbitrarily drawing the line at 100 million? Furthermore, the PS2 didn’t hit those numbers until like a decade after it was released and by that time, the PS360 and Wii were already on the market. Prior to those massive price cuts, the PS2 didn’t have those numbers.

Edit: You were talking about the PS2, but the point still stands. 197 million units were sold between the SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis, and Game Boy. That’s mainstream.

If anyone deserves that distinction, it’s the NES or at the latest, the SNES. Hundreds of millions of systems sold with the 5th gen of consoles.

I like the PS, but let’s not credit it for making gaming mainstream. Nintendo did that.
Dude… this is wrong. Just wrong. You may have an argument here if you limit your scope to the USA. But beyond Japan and the US, Nintendo was a drop in the ocean. Sega’s Master System was way more successful than the NES in Europe, where home computers were the preferred gaming systems over consoles anyway. And in the rest of the world, well, there’s a reason there were dozens of NES clones. Nintendo didn’t bother distributing their console there and if they did, they preferred to price themselves out of the market rather than keep their prices popular.

The PS1 absolutely, definitely, undoubtedly revolutionized the video games market in Europe and beyond. Adult people were buying it without even knowing exactly what to do with it, much like, a decade later, people would buy a Wii without even understanding that you could play more than Wii Sports on it. Parents that would scoff at the SNES were buying a PlayStation “for their kids”, just because it was the cool thing to have. For crying out loud, my own father was the one who one evening came to me and said, “How about we get a PlayStation?”. My father had never even turned on one of my Nintendo consoles - only turned them off when he thought I’d been playing long enough. That evening, somehow, I bit my tongue and said “Yeah!” instead of “You sure you’re OK?”, and one hour later we came back home with a PlayStation that my father tinkered with for five minutes before never turning it on again.

Plus, the PS encouraged the creation of so many new, different types of games. That kind of creativity completely changed the medium, and is sadly long gone from the list of priorities of Sony.

I am going to say something controversial here but while it did change the gaming landscape from a cultural perspective, I actually think the N64 had a bigger impact on how 3d games actually function, it's a negative one. It took gaming into the mainstream, completely changing the demographics to a more casual audience. Less Ocarina of Time and more FIFA. The modern gaming landscape with all its micro transactions is a direct result of the broader demographics. On here we hate all this stuff especially those over 35 who remember the pre mainstream days but the broader more casual audience love it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Dude… this is wrong. Just wrong. You may have an argument here if you limit your scope to the USA. But beyond Japan and the US, Nintendo was a drop in the ocean. Sega’s Master System was way more successful than the NES in Europe, where home computers were the preferred gaming systems over consoles anyway. And in the rest of the world, well, there’s a reason there were dozens of NES clones. Nintendo didn’t bother distributing their console there and if they did, they preferred to price themselves out of the market rather than keep their prices popular.

The PS1 absolutely, definitely, undoubtedly revolutionized the video games market in Europe and beyond. Adult people were buying it without even knowing exactly what to do with it, much like, a decade later, people would buy a Wii without even understanding that you could play more than Wii Sports on it. Parents that would scoff at the SNES were buying a PlayStation “for their kids”, just because it was the cool thing to have. For crying out loud, my own father was the one who one evening came to me and said, “How about we get a PlayStation?”. My father had never even turned on one of my Nintendo consoles - only turned them off when he thought I’d been playing long enough. That evening, somehow, I bit my tongue and said “Yeah!” instead of “You sure you’re OK?”, and one hour later we came back home with a PlayStation that my father tinkered with for five minutes before never turning it on again.

Plus, the PS encouraged the creation of so many new, different types of games. That kind of creativity completely changed the medium, and is sadly long gone from the list of priorities of Sony.
Did you just gloss over the part where I mention the Mega Drive/Genesis?

>197 million systems sold in the 5th generation, not even including arcade cabinets

>No maintstrean

Pick one.

In 10 years, PlayStation fanboys will start claiming they invented gaming.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
I am going to say something controversial here but while it did change the gaming landscape from a cultural perspective, I actually think the N64 had a bigger impact on how 3d games actually function, it's a negative one. It took gaming into the mainstream, completely changing the demographics to a more casual audience. Less Ocarina of Time and more FIFA. The modern gaming landscape with all its micro transactions is a direct result of the broader demographics. On here we hate all this stuff especially those over 35 who remember the pre mainstream days but the broader more casual audience love it.
Yep it made it 'cool" but it didn't improve the gameplay. It didn't even have analogue sticks to start. FMV's look pretty but only add to the spectacle not the substance. And the PC was already doing the same stuff but was obviously much more restrictive than a hot new console in the living room. Wipeout for example had licensed music that got new people to play it, but it was on PC at the same time.

"Nintendo & Sega are kiddie and lame, while Sony is adult and cool" is sadly something it's fans will never grow out of. For the rest of us it was just another console we owned alongside other game playing devices.

Last edited:
Yep it made it 'cool" but it didn't improve the gameplay. It didn't even have analogue sticks to start. FMV's look pretty but only add to the spectacle not the substance. And the PC was already doing the same stuff but was obviously much more restrictive than a hot new console in the living room. Wipeout for example had licensed music that got new people to play it, but it was on PC at the same time.

"Nintendo & Sega are kiddie and lame, while Sony is adult and cool" is sadly something it's fans will never grow out of. For the rest of us it was just another console we owned alongside other game playing devices.
The only for of cool kids nonsense layed the foundation for every negative trope of gaming today. I remember having a Dreamcast and saying to a friend at the time that I was playing Skies of Arcadia, and he replied with games are for nerds. I asked him what his hobby was and he replied with playing on the PlayStation lol, however he was into Football Manager which is barely a game. So here is a guy who spends all his time on the PlayStation saying that games are for nerds. This has had an impact on games and what gets made. Why do your think Sony has pivoted to GAAS. I have four nephews and they only play Roblox, Fortnight etc. Don't own a single PlayStation exclusive between them. When I asked if the eldest wanted to play Ghost of Tushima, he responded with that's for geeks as it has dialogue. Sony can see this and that's why they are doing it.

Hookshot

Gold Member
The only for of cool kids nonsense layed the foundation for every negative trope of gaming today. I remember having a Dreamcast and saying to a friend at the time that I was playing Skies of Arcadia, and he replied with games are for nerds. I asked him what his hobby was and he replied with playing on the PlayStation lol, however he was into Football Manager which is barely a game. So here is a guy who spends all his time on the PlayStation saying that games are for nerds. This has had an impact on games and what gets made. Why do your think Sony has pivoted to GAAS. I have four nephews and they only play Roblox, Fortnight etc. Don't own a single PlayStation exclusive between them. When I asked if the eldest wanted to play Ghost of Tushima, he responded with that's for geeks as it has dialogue. Sony can see this and that's why they are doing it.
You can see from this list that people only played what was marketed towards them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games.

Gran Turismo was a big new franchise and decent doing something novel in the console space, FF7 had the flashy cutscenes, Tekken the new 3d fighter, then it's Crash marketed as cooler than Mario and Tomb Raider which had it's own marketing devoid of even gaming, same as Harry Potter. I didn't realize it had so few franchises doing well on it.

The PS2's is even worse it's still just GT and FF but with GTA as well. They might have had a huge diversity of games but the masses just treated them the same as Nintendo with the same few franchises filling the sale slots.

Last edited:

Impotaku

PS1 is one of my favourite consoles and probably my favourite of the playstation consoles however i hated the angle they took with marketing with all the try hard, edgy grown up lads culture shit. It was everywhere and even back then it was cringy, kids desperate to be seen as grown up. Compre it to japan where it was marketed to everyone with silly & fun commercials as well as more adult ones, here in the uk nope just edgy teens and twentysomethings.

Born in 76 so i was in my 20's for when that thing dropped. It certainly helped gaming become mainstream but only by marketing to the casual cunts. The chav types in the uk and the dude bros in the usa that didn't game but now they did as it was percieved as cool. Luckily i avoided most of it's uk lifecycle and the domestic releases as it was at the point modchips were everywhere and carboot sales had as many silvers than you could play through it exposed me to the japnese side and i fell in love with it. So many unusual games i discovered which i still play even now, the library is so vast that i still find games totally unknown to me even now it's a treasure trove of inventive games i still hunt down & buy japanese ps1 stuff that i missed. This is the detriment to playstation nowadays they are so scared to even slightly deviate into something totally out there so they churn out safe titles.

In the PS1 era if a dev wanted to make something they would just go for it no matter how weird or wonderful it was, now you will only see that type of stuff from indies. Long gone are the days of parappa or vib ribbon.

Last edited:
I think an argument can be made that the Playstation was the first console to truly make gaming mainstream

100m sold. No console had ever done that before the release of that system. Sony's contributions to the industry will never be forgotten
023.gif

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
And at some point, Sony decided to play catch up with Nintendo for some reason and everything was a downhill. Their third party hardware support has been pitiful to the point where it's a meme now.
The PS5 couldn't be more different from the Switch or anything Nintendo. The Dual Sense is nothing like any Nintendo controller. VR is something Nintendo doesn't do. Yup...they are practically twins.

Amael901

Neo Member
Imagine that you are such an empty and superficial person that you base your maturity in relation to which console you own. If that ever happens to me, I will shoot myself in the head

Sony really did a terrific job grabbing an entire generation of players who were ready dissociate themselves from Mario so they could keep on gaming through high school, college and adult life. Before PS that was very much nerd territory and not necessarily in a positive way.

That ad with the room changing through the years while a PS is always connected really captures us who grew up with the brand. I think a large chunk of the loyalty and fandom stems from riding that wave for so long.

Funnily enough now I’ve got a kid I find myself playing a lot more Mario

Top Bottom