• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventh

Does Casshern Sins ever explain why there's so many child robots? Or at least why they're programmed to act like real children? I've always wondered what the point of building them would be.

joe2187

Banned
Does Casshern Sins ever explain why there's so many child robots? Or at least why they're programmed to act like real children? I've always wondered what the point of building them would be.

All the female robots seem to have mental issues as well (IE: Wanting to fuck casshern/penetrate/ring his bell)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This show was pretty good at building suspense and a feeling of mystery, but not as well as the first series.

Oh this is Hohenheim's flashback...

Nah, the problem is that the show is very poorly paced and rushes through the non-action centric parts. (ironically it cuts the ishval war).

They probably should have gone with 6 seasons instead of 5 if they wanted to do a decent adaptation. Maybe even 7 or 8 with ~1 chapter per ep

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OOOOHHHHH

This is the one with the old King Xerxes right?? Oh man, this was a fantastic episode.

Jintor

Nah, the problem is that the show is very poorly paced and rushes through the non-action centric parts. (ironically it cuts the ishval war).

They probably should have gone with 6 seasons instead of 5 if they wanted to do a decent adaptation. Maybe even 7 or 8 with ~1 chapter per ep

what? why would you cut the ishval war? That's crazy important to setting up half the medium alchemists

Astral

I watched this on bluray.

60840ea2_sogood.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is such a fantastic scene.

I think 6 would have felt right, 7 or 8 would have dragged, especially the early parts which to be fair the first anime did cover somewhat painstakingly (even if it was interjected with some filler.)

It sort of felt like Brotherhood had no direction for the endgame compared to the first, no strong overarching themes. Which is strange since it was pretty much reading from a playbook unlike the first anime, which just struck out on its own thing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think 6 would have felt right, 7 or 8 would have dragged, especially the early parts which to be fair the first anime did cover somewhat painstakingly (even if it was interjected with some filler.)

It sort of felt like Brotherhood had no direction for the endgame compared to the first, no strong overarching themes. Which is strange since it was pretty much reading from a playbook unlike the first anime, which just struck out on its own thing.
That's because the writing in the manga becomes poor in comparison to the superior original writing in the first series and the director of the first series also did a better job. So it's like, double better.

Also you have to do more than copy the manga for a good adaptation...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The other thing is I always felt the music was kind of weak. Brotherhood would have been so much more enjoyable if it had the right themes and background music.

Edit- This is where Hohenheim thrusts himself into Izumi!

GaimeGuy

what? why would you cut the ishval war? That's crazy important to setting up half the medium alchemists

I know, right?

Marcoh, Knox, Hughes, Winry's parents, Bradley, Scar, Scar's brother, Kimblee, Hawkeye, Grand, Armstrong, Mustang, all of them depend on the Ishval war backstory to flesh out their characters.

Brotherhood cuts out a good portion of the ishval conflict and what they don't cut out they cut up and show in brief flashbacks throughout the other episodes of the anime.

It's pathetic how much thye butchered the Ishval and Greed volumes.

Astral

Save your tears
for the day
when our pain is far behind
on your feet
come with me
we are soldiers stand or die

Save your fears
take your place
save them for the judgment day
fast and free
follow me
time to make the sacrifice
we rise or fall

Love this shit. I don't care much about the anime itself though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
the writing in the manga becomes poor in comparison to the superior original writing in the first series

I...what? There are SO MANY fundamental and obvious issues with the writing in the first anime, not even counting the conclusion (which, for what it's worth, I actually kind of liked in its own batshit crazy sort of way).

Just for one, the main villain and the reason why they needed to orchestrate some big plot made no logical sense of any kind at all. I mean, really, just think for a second. Why would
someone who has lived for 500 years, is a master alchemist, has had the homunculi on their side all along, has witnessed the making of a Philosopher's Stone, and even knows the ingredients needed to make one need a CHILD to do it for them? Even though she needed her own servants to actually teach the method to do it? Is she so incompetent an alchemist that she can't perform a transmutation that she already knows how to do? Even though she already even has stones to amplify her abilities to make her capable of performing any kind of transmutation she wanted
? How does the need to create some circuitous plan make ANY sense in this context? Additionally, several invented plot devices created in the first anime resulted in them writing themselves into a corner with no way to resolve certain loose ends. They also resorted to some really trite methods of creating cheap melodrama (I'm looking at you,
Rose's rape baby
), which isn't the mark of either good writing or direction.

Yeah, the manga eventually devolves into your typical action shounen affair and becomes fairly "by the numbers" for the last arc, but at least everything makes reasonable sense within the universe's logic, and they don't find themselves literally incapable of wrapping everything up. Even the craziest shit they pull out is fairly explicitly set up earlier in the series (including, partially, in this very episode we had tonight). And at least there's a reason why the villain actually needs the Elric Brothers that makes some fundamental in-universe sense.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Both GITS seasons have amazing climaxes. The last few episodes of both are really great.

Also, I'm curious to see all the new bumps, graphics, and promos they're going to need when 2nd GIG rotates out in a couple weeks.

GaimeGuy

That's because the writing in the manga becomes poor in comparison to the superior original writing in the first series and the director of the first series also did a better job. So it's like, double better.

Also you have to do more than copy the manga for a good adaptation...

I disagree. the first FMA anime beat you over the head with angst, equivalent exchange, and "WE MUST ATONE FOR OUR SINS ALONE!!!11" to a fault.

Arakawa had a clear idea of where she was going and what she wanted to do with the manga, so instead of spending the time beating you over the head with thematical elements it sprinkles them everywhere to complement the strength of the characters and narrative.

The manga/brotherhood still have the theme of equivalent exchange, but you'll also find a pantheistic view of the world, an emphasis on comradery.

Hell, as much as the first FMA focuses on atonement, the manga/brotherhood focus on naivety. The three principal characters (Ed, Al, and Mustang) all possess it as a defining character trait (so does Ling).

Ultratech

I...what? There are SO MANY fundamental and obvious issues with the writing in the first anime, not even counting the conclusion (which, for what it's worth, I actually kind of liked in its own batshit crazy sort of way).

Just for one, the main villain and the reason why they needed to orchestrate some big plot made no logical sense of any kind at all. I mean, really, just think for a second. Why would
someone who has lived for 500 years, is a master alchemist, has had the homunculi on their side all along, has witnessed the making of a Philosopher's Stone, and even knows the ingredients needed to make one need a CHILD to do it for them? Even though she needed her own servants to actually teach the method to do it? Is she so incompetent an alchemist that she can't perform a transmutation that she already knows how to do? Even though she already even has stones to amplify her abilities to make her capable of performing any kind of transmutation she wanted
? How does the need to create some circuitous plan make ANY sense in this context? Several invented plot devices created in the first anime resulted in them writing themselves into a corner with no way to resolve certain loose ends. They also resorted to some really trite methods of creating cheap melodrama (I'm looking at you,
Rose's rape baby
), which isn't the mark of either good writing or direction.

Yeah, the manga eventually devolves into your typical action shounen affair and becomes fairly "by the numbers" for the last arc, but at least everything makes reasonable sense within the universe's logic, and they don't find themselves literally incapable of wrapping everything up. And at least there's a reason why the villain actually needs the Elric Brothers that makes some fundamental in-universe sense.

The only thing I can guess is this:
She must've been incapable of performing said transmutation on herself. Granted, she still could've gotten somebody else to perform it I would think, but she probably just chose the Elrics since they'd dabbled in the whole mess of trying to bring somebody back to life and they were actively searching for the stone. From what I read, trying to perform it nearly kills you in the process, and given how weak she was at the time, it would've killed her for sure, thus the need for somebody else. Seems like she was banking on the fact somebody would actively try and seek out a Stone which is what the Elrics were doing.

jph139

"There is a nice present show in the last of this station! Please do not change the channel."

wut

EDIT: OH MAN DOSE GRAPHICS

Is Bebop the only show that gets the "And now back to .... on Toonami" bumps?

ETA: I guess it makes some sense, since on Bebop it goes in the Now/Next/Later slot.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 264 - Battle of the Females? Katen Kyoukotsu vs. Nanao!
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 10 - Undertaker
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 10 - The Man Entrapped by the Past

1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 41 - The Abyss
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 26 - ENDLESS∞GIG - END
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 24 - Hard Luck Woman

Later.

Astral

Haha nice Slender review. I'm too much of a bitch to play it (and my laptop probably can't run it). The Slenderman himself looks more silly than scary though.

Astral

I hate how censored Deadman Wonderland is. For a series that's trying to be very violent it's pretty dumb. That hazy black stuff ruins it. Solid episode though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom