• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
They should get Hell Girl. Funimation has the first season of the series.

I can't see Hell Girl doing well. Death Note didn't do well on AS apparently, and that's the same very basic concept (though HG is a tonne more episodic and focuses on specific killings) but with a much bigger name.

Absolutely not. It's a good show, but it's the same shit, over and over again

yeah.

Hey looks at these two people.

One of them are pretty fucked up.

Yo I want that asshole dead.

nightmare fuel happens.

Hey man you should be less of an asshole.

Lolno..fuk that you crazy demon girl.

oh well hell time.

damn maybe I shouldn't have sold my soul..I might regret that.

rinse and repeat.

Takao

Banned
Depends on what that same shit is.

People loved Inuyasha after all...

It's like your usual US crime drama in terms of repetitiveness. The show reuses a bunch of animation to reinforce how repetitive it is.

Hell Girl would be problematic to air anyways. If the show proved to be a hit the next two seasons are licensed by another company, and have no English dub.

I can't see Hell Girl doing well. Death Note didn't do well on AS apparently, and that's the same very basic concept (though HG is a tonne more episodic and focuses on specific killings) but with a much bigger name.

Death Note didn't do well? I thought it was popular as hell.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If they cut One Piece's bullshit filler between godlike arcs, then I'd be all for the new dub being brought over.

That shit is fucking hype.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If they cut One Piece's bullshit filler between godlike arcs, then I'd be all for the new dub being brought over.

You know, One Piece filler is nowhere near the level of Bleach or Naruto filler. The longest stretch was 13 episodes.
The problem is getting to Episode 207 on a weekly basis (my idea is to allow two episodes a day M-F until it catches up, 10 episodes week won't be too horrid).
Though these days, One Piece suffers from snail pacing as it does a 1 chapter = 1 episode rate now. Toei doesn't care since they still get killer ratings.

How is the new dub (can't be as bad as the old one...not much can...dear gawd)?

It's the same problem I had with Naruto...the main character's voice is the worst(Naruto also jumped off of multiple cliffs...climbed back up and shot itself off the cliff a second time in terms of quality).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You know, One Piece filler is nowhere near the level of Bleach or Naruto filler. The longest stretch was 13 episodes.
The problem is getting to Episode 207 on a weekly basis (my idea is to allow two episodes a day M-F until it catches up, 10 episodes week won't be too horrid).
Though these days, One Piece suffers from snail pacing as it does a 1 chapter = 1 episode rate now. Toei doesn't care since they still get killer ratings.

There's a difference between One Piece filler and Naruto/Bleach filler though. Not really sure the word to describe it... but its quite significant in its effect on people. Somehow, those other shows manage to keep people attached during filler while One Piece filler makes people want to lobotomize themselves.

It's the same problem I had with Naruto...the main character's voice is the worst(Naruto also jumped off of multiple cliffs...climbed back up and shot itself off the cliff a second time in terms of quality).

The new dub is a LOT better.
Gunslinger Girl is a legitimately good show and it's not moeshit.

I don't think that "look" is something they want to shoot for though.

Takao

Banned

While they're nice Toei doesn't really care about ratings. Dragon Ball Kai was doing great, but still got the axe. It's all about the merch sales with the big shonen shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
While they're nice Toei doesn't really care about ratings. Dragon Ball Kai was doing great, but still got the axe. It's all about the merch sales with the big shonen shows.

Sounds exactly kid shows over here, this is why we lost Sym-Bionic Titan.

Branduil

I always thought Baccano! would've been a better fit than Durarara

Well that's because Baccano! is a much better show. Not that Durarara! is bad, but it starts off good and goes nowhere as it forgets about the more interesting characters. And prohibition-era America is such an underutilized setting for anime.

Also, Baccano! has a great dub.

BatDan

It's actually really good. It does the emotional scenes rather well as well as the humor.
It's leagues ahead of 4Kids, and anyone that says otherwise needs to take the shit-covered rose-tinted glasses off (no joke, there are fans of the 4Kids dub).

Death Note didn't do well? I thought it was popular as hell.
Technically yes and no. People thought it would pull in 500k in the 18-49, which is golden for that number. It mostly did mid-450k early on and around 400k towards the break... which is great for most shows, but it was projected to do much better.

And then the "second arc" rolled around.
Or even Basilisk?
Unpossible. IFC aired it practically unedited years ago, [adult swim] admitted they'd have to chop up alot of it.

BatDan

Yea, One Piece needs a do over.

The issue with One Piece is that you need to watch from the beginning to get a lot of what's going on. It's not like DBZ where watching Dragon Ball isn't required.
That's why I think Adult Swim should allow an hour of new episodes Monday-Friday until it catches up to episode 207.

Untitled-2.gif
Just to remind of the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom