• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And ANOTHER twist... and ANOTHER! Twists within twists within twists. Man GitS is some good stuff. Worth staying up for.

Not a bad night overall... looking forward to seeing how our new shows progress. Later.
1438721-what_a_twist_super.jpg

Can't believe I made it through the whole run. It'll be a long time before that happens again.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
But how far out do they have it dubbed? I guess it brings enough viewers to make sure to not need to rerun an arc to get more voice work in.

No idea. The last time the show took a break for dubbing was 100 episodes ago, so it wouldn't be unusual for it to take time off, but it doesn't seem to be scheduled for a break any time soon.

yami4ct

But how far out do they have it dubbed? I guess it brings enough viewers to make sure to not need to rerun an arc to get more voice work in.

Who knows how many they've got in the chamber. Was hoping they had fewer. By the time they catch up, Bleach will probably have started whatever it's "Final Act" equivalent will be.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"What the hell man? Can't... pull it out. In fact it feels like I'm being sucked in."

That's what he said!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Second time watching Bleach OP

is alright

It's one of my favorites. In terms of rank...

1. Rolling Star (#5)
  2. D-tecnoLife (#2)
  3. Melody of the Wild Dance (#13)
  4. Velonica (#9)
  5. Change (#12)
  6. Alones (#6)
  7. Asterisk (#1)
  8. Ichirin No Hana (#3)

The rest weren't memorable to me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
But I don't want a nice ending. I don't need to see that. I just need it hinted at. My constant hate of nice things must be why I like Casshern so much, haha.

Compared to what FMA: B Did,
With actually showing photos of the future, how the characters looked older, how their character designs were, etc
, I find most "Ambiguous" endings to give a bit of a "copout" feeling, occassionally.

It's cool to see the designers take the time to come up with 1-or-2 panel character designs that'll never get any use, to let you know what the future would hold. I was suprised they went so far, and that made this ending memorable, because they went that extra mile.

---

I really like GiTS... but I don't know if I could put it above Bebop. I never liked how much the Major's Eyes and design changed every few eps (as if each director got to dictate THEIR Major, just because!), and the show can occassionally get a bit hollow and long-winded, which is often OK in a second viewing, but it's not always engaging on the first run.

GiTS's more mature side is a pleasant thing, though, but Bebop's personality and coherence wins it more for me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I somewhat dig Samurai 7 right now, but I do hope it picks up a little bit. That Samurai 7-Casshern hour can potentially be a real slog to get through with both of them bringing slow and pensive pacing (as much as I can enjoy slow and pensive pacing and really like Casshern).

Also, this little kid needs to go.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's one of my favorites. In terms of rank...

1. Rolling Star (#5)
  2. D-tecnoLife (#2)
  3. Melody of the Wild Dance (#13)
  4. Velonica (#9)
  5. Change (#12)
  6. Alones (#6)
  7. Asterisk (#1)
  8. Ichirin No Hana (#3)

The rest weren't memorable to me.

Woke up with yawn. It's dawning, im still alive.
Turned on my radio to start up new day
As goddanmed DJ's chattered how to survive
Amazing news got over on the air wave

Tonight, Love is rationed
Tonight, Across the nation
Tonight, Love infects worldwide
Almost another day

She's a shooting star, good night, good night
She's a shooting star, good bye

Only good thing about the Bount arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the repeat run for Eureka had the April Fools night promo for the Gundam Wing DVD. Can't be a coincidence between that and Outlaw Star's promo in the first run. Both are Bandai shows, as is Eureka, so advertising Bandai's shows must be part of the deal to get Eureka back.

Interesting, and if they can make those kinds of deals to cut costs, it could potentially really open up options for Toonami.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So the repeat run for Eureka had the April Fools night promo for the Gundam Wing DVD. Can't be a coincidence between that and Outlaw Star's promo in the first run. Both are Bandai shows, as is Eureka, so advertising Bandai's shows must be part of the deal to get Eureka back.

Interesting, and if they can make those kinds of deals to cut costs, it could potentially really open up options for Toonami.

Indeed. The future looks bright for YYH's chances.

Hope they upgrade them to TOM 3.5 though, 3.0 is just hideous.

Tamanon

Banned
And if I remember correctly, Bleach filler is the worst filler. That makes the direction this series goes all the sadder.

I'd say Naruto filler is worse than Bleach filler. At least the first half of the last filler was alright with the manifested Zanpakuto, but started to dip after Muramasa was killed.

Seda

@Clarknova1

#toonami fans: this weekend we will be giving you ANOTHER new game review! Hint: it's a quickie little title.

Guesses?

Cranzor

@Clarknova1

#toonami fans: this weekend we will be giving you ANOTHER new game review! Hint: it's a quickie little title.

Guesses?
I'll guess Unmechanical. I don't know anything about it but everyone always brings up how short it is.

Indeed. The future looks bright for YYH's chances.

I don't know why a run of the Blu-Ray version wasn't on the schedule in the beginning anyway. Never quite made much sense.

I'm just waiting for them to fill that 3 hours before Toonami with more stuff. So much promise in that block for more content.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, more angst with Ichigo, Ulquiorra, and Orihime, Kirara's hunt for the samurai continues, and Casshern takes his leave of Braiking Boss while Dio sets plans in motion. Then later on it's the second part of Eureka's opening "Blue" trilogy as Renton mans up (to a point) and takes to the sky, news spreads around Amestris of the impending doom of the Promised Day as Edward makes an unlikely ally, and for those of you watching GITS for the first time, you better pay attention tonight, for this is the start of Stand Alone Complex's main arching season plot, The Laughing Man case:

12:00 - Bleach - 268 - Hatred and Jealousy, Orihime's Dilemma
12:30 - Samurai 7 - 2 - The Pupil
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 14 - The Truth Illuminates the Darkness
1:30 - Eureka seveN - 2 - Blue Sky Fish
2:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 45 - The Promised Day
2:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 4 - INTERCEPTER

I'm going to the Jets-Panthers preseason game tonight, so I'm guessing I'll probably miss Bleach and possibly Samurai 7 on the first run. Yay for repeat runs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the early word on the new shows? Haven't jumped in this thread in a couple months.

Samurai 7 is based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Even if they completely blew it with the adaptation (which GONZO is perfectly capable of), the base storyline should still be damn good. At 26 episodes in length, it will be probably be holding down the fort at 12:30 for a while, unless something like Inuyasha: Final Act moves in when Casshern ends.

Eureka seveN is a show people either love or hate. There's not a whole lot of middle ground. Personally I love it and consider it the best mecha series of the '00s, while other people find it dreadful. I have no idea why this is the case with this particular show, really, but there you have it. I do notice there seems to be a fairly big gulf between people who first saw the series subbed and people who first saw it dubbed, though that's hardly an exact rule since I've seen plenty of people who saw it first subbed who disliked it and plenty of people who saw it first dubbed who did like it. Whatever. Objectively speaking, even if you hate the characters and storyline, the series is bright, colorful, and richly animated for a television anime, and the soundtrack is pretty fantastic. It's 50 episodes in length, so it's going to be a staple of the block until next summer unless the lineup gets a big shake up at some point, and the expectation is that they might be setting up to air its sequel series Eureka Seven AO next year after it ends.

Necrovex

Samurai 7 is based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Even if they completely blew it with the adaptation (which GONZO is perfectly capable of), the base storyline should still be damn good. At 26 episodes in length, it will be probably be holding down the fort at 12:30 for a while, unless something like Inuyasha: Final Act moves in when Casshern ends.

Samurai Seven is Gonzo's worst adapation. Though, I still enjoy the show a lot for what it was.

Adult Swim should have acquired Gonzo's better adaptions: Romeo X Juliet, or Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. The latter being Gonzo's best show to date.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They should get the original Hellsing anime for the lulz. That show is so WTF it's unbelievable at times.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
In a Q&A several years ago they mentioned that Gankutsuou was a series that was pitched to them and they turned it down, feeling it wasn't a good fit.

No idea where that link might be now or if it even still exists online. I think it might have been on a now defunct version of the Adult Swim message boards. And, of course, what was true then might not necessarily be true now.

Also, had my days mixed up. Football game isn't until tomorrow night, so no worries about missing any Toonami here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom