• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Dude, spoilers.
Father was more of a puzzle boss anyway

I understand why someone would like it, but almost everything didn't sit well with me. I dislike the
final fight, I dislike the fact it felt like everyone got off just about scot free. I just don't like the direction the series went. Father seemed like a great idea in the lead up, but really ended up feeling like a toothless villain.
I just felt like a lot of the plot's loose ends got tied up too neatly for my taste. I tend to prefer my shows have some ambiguity.

thetechkid

I just felt like a lot of the plot's loose ends got tied up too neatly for my taste. I tend to prefer my shows have some ambiguity.

I on the other hand despise those, and like a clean end. Before GiTs starts I'm out, do not want to see that show anymore.

I on the other hand despise those, and like a clean end. Before GiTs starts I'm out, do not want to see that show anymore.
In fairness, real life rarely ever wraps itself up in a nice little package. If you're lucky, a complex situation will get resolved clean like 1-2 times in your entire life.

Also ditto. Night people.

yami4ct

Hey thanks :D

Maybe someday since I've heard good things about AO, though only just getting "context" isn't exactly reassuring. I want despair, not context.

Oh Ao, Ao, Ao. It's hard to believe that show is even related to E7. It's just so damn weird. It's probably the best sequel they could have done. I dislike the mechs, most of the music and think the action choreography is worse, but that plot is so damn insane. It's fun.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I understand why someone would like it, but almost everything didn't sit well with me. I dislike the
final fight, I dislike the fact it felt like everyone got off just about scot free. I just don't like the direction the series went. Father seemed like a great idea in the lead up, but really ended up feeling like a toothless villain.

Um... you're wrong, dude.

(FMA:B ending spoilers)

The only reason the "giving up alchemy" thing worked was becauuse Ed and Al's souls became slightly conjoined during the human transmutation of their mom. Any other alchemist who sacrificed his gate would have had no way to get back to the "real" world. They would have been stuck in that white purgatory.

Since Ed and Al's souls were slightly conjoined, Ed wasable to leave with Al through the back door.

And yes, Father was toothless. Neither he nor Hohenheim know how to fight at all. Bradley's the "final boss" type character in terms of combat prowess

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Um... you're wrong, dude.

(FMA:B ending spoilers)

The only reason the "giving up alchemy" thing worked was becauuse Ed and Al's souls became slightly conjoined during the human transmutation of their mom. Any other alchemist who sacrificed his gate would have had no way to get back to the "real" world. They would have been stuck in that white purgatory.

Since Ed and Al's souls were slightly conjoined, Ed wasable to leave with Al through the back door.

No that wasn't the case. Mustang was considering it to get his eyesight back at the end of the series. So it wasn't Ed/Al specific. I also don't remember them talking about any of the "conjoining" stuff on the actually show.

yami4ct

I like a plot I can chew on. If a series leaves things open for the viewer to decide, it gives you a lot to think about. You can interpret the ending based on how you view the themes of a show. It's part of why I had issues with the end of Kids on the Slope, a show I otherwise love. Closing all the lose ends leaves little room for thematic interpretation and discussion.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You need to hide your spoilers, dude.

And I don't remembe rthe part you're saying. The part I'm referencing was just a theory that Ed presented for why Al's body didn't die, and why Ed had such stunted growth.

The part you referenced I think was brought up, but it was debunked for the reasons I mentioned .

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like a plot I can chew on. If a series leaves things open for the viewer to decide, it gives you a lot to think about. You can interpret the ending based on how you view the themes of a show. It's part of why I had issues with the end of Kids on the Slope, a show I otherwise love. Closing all the lose ends leaves little room for thematic interpretation and discussion.

You know, my brain likes clean endings at first, but it's the shows with ambiguous endings that stick in your mind years after the fact and allow you to keep the show "alive" through discussions with others.
You need to hide your spoilers, dude.

And I don't remembe rthe part you're saying. The part I'm referencing was just a theory that Ed presented for why Al's body didn't die, and why Ed had such stunted growth.

I don't remember any of that being in Brotherhood.

yami4ct

You know, my brain likes clean endings at first, but it's the shows with ambiguous endings that stick in your mind years after the fact and allow you to keep the show "alive" through discussions with others.

Yep, it's part of why Cowboy Bebop still remains one of my favorite shows of all time. It's pretty obvious what the ending is trying to say, but it leaves a lot of room for discussion and interpretation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yep, it's part of why Cowboy Bebop still remains one of my favorite shows of all time. It's pretty obvious what the ending is trying to say, but it leaves a lot of room for discussion and interpretation.

FLCL's another great example. Although the whole show was kinda ambiguous.

Big O too.

yami4ct

FLCL's another great example.

To be honest, ALL of FLCL is left open for interpretation. Nothing is just explained in that show. It almost goes a bit too far, part of the reason I don't adore it like some people. I admire that it tries to be thematically interesting.

Talon

To be honest, ALL of FLCL is left open for interpretation. Nothing is just explained in that show. It almost goes a bit too far, part of the reason I don't adore it like some people. I admire that it tries to be thematically interesting.
Yes. FLCL is just craziness.

Something something Atomsk.

Seda

I don't remember any of that being in Brotherhood.

I remember the explanation for Ed's shortness (by Ed himself) being that he was actually inadvertently sustaining his brother's body as well. I'm almost positive that was Brotherhood and not the original anime

Levyne

Banned
Sometimes I like my endings more ambiguous and sometimes I don't. Anything to prevent them all from being samey.

I'm not really annoyed if a show or movie has a clean cut ending when I feel it shouldn't or opposite.

I'm much more annoyed when a show feigns ambiguity with a great open ending but then lamely cleans it up with an after credits scene or something. I feel I would also dislike the opposite but that doesn't really happen often. I guess I could think of examples where the ending is nice and neat but then a wrench is thrown into the conclusion at the very very end.

yami4ct

I understand that Brotherhood had an explanation for its end, but that didn't make it feel like less of a cop out for me. But, like I said, I just didn't like any of the direction that book went in like the last 1/3. There was almost no pleasing me at that point.

Jintor

It's in the manga so it works for both. I really enjoyed the way everything came together in FMA:B (or the manga, whatever), it's just so neat. I mean, it's just the conclusion that the entire show was inexorably being built towards. It's like seeing a well-executed plan unfold.

The real thing that bothered me in FMA was
all the crazy pseudo-philosophical bullshit about "God" or the "Power of God" or whatever, because that's a real magical unknown power source out of nowhere

I remember this episode of GiTS.

yami4ct

Sometimes I like my endings more ambiguous and sometimes I don't. Anything to prevent them all from being samey.

I'm not really annoyed if a show or movie has a clean cut ending when I feel it shouldn't or opposite.

I'm much more annoyed when a show feigns ambiguity with a great ending but then lamely cleans it up with an after credits scene or something. I feel I would also dislike the opposite but that doesn't really happen often. I guess I could think of examples where the ending is nice and neat but then a wrench is thrown into the conclusion at the very very end.

Kids on the Slope was almost a perfect example of that to me. They had a PERFECT place to end it at the
train, sad goodbye scene
. It would fit thematically, and left a lot of interpretation for what happened to certain characters and their fates. The problem is, it kept going. Anytime your series has an epilogue, it's likely I'm not going to like it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FMA B Ending: I liked it.

After the Conqurer of Shambala ending... I liked finally getting to see
End clearly get with WINry, and "procreate". Take THAT, Casshern Sins!

It was a great ending for those who actually wanted to see loved characters get a nice ending.

FMA's multi tales work for me the same way Multi Tenchi Muyo series do. It let me see a variety of takes on characters I like, and different ways at how things would end up, if a few (or a LOT) of things changed between them.

"What DO they make them do?"

oh Major... really?

Really?

REALLY?

tumblr_lqf1bd9N301qmr00d.gif

yami4ct

FMA B Ending: I liked it.

After the Conqurer of Shambala ending... I liked finally getting to see
End clearly get with WINry, and "procreate". Take THAT, Casshern Sins!

It was a great ending for those who actually wanted to see loved characters get a nice ending.

FMA's multi tales work for me the same way Multi Tenchi Muyo series do. It let me see a variety of takes on characters I like, and different ways at how things would end up, if a few (or a LOT) of things changed between them.

But I don't want a nice ending. I don't need to see that. I just need it hinted at. My constant hate of nice things must be why I like Casshern so much, haha.

Levyne

Banned
Conqueror of shambala and the last bits of the original anime series were so much fun to watch. So off the wall at times. Wtf reveals about Envy and stuff. It was terrible, but fun.

B.K.

The real thing that bothered me in FMA was
all the crazy pseudo-philosophical bullshit about "God" or the "Power of God" or whatever, because that's a real magical unknown power source out of nowhere

At least
Arakawa had that planned from the beginning. That was set up back when Ed, Ling, and Envy were stuck inside Gluttony's stomach.

yami4ct

Conqueror of shambala and the last bits of the original anime series were so much fun to watch. So off the wall at times. Wtf reveals about Envy and stuff. It was terrible, but fun.

I'll give the manga one thing, no way it could have been worse than the first FMA ending. God dang. I do agree that CoS was kinda fun, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 268 - Hatred and Jealousy, Orihime's Dilemma
12:30 - Samurai 7 - 2 - The Pupil
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 14 - The Truth Illuminates the Darkness
1:30 - Eureka seveN - 2 - Blue Sky Fish
2:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 45 - The Promised Day
2:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 4 - INTERCEPTER

Later.

jph139

And ANOTHER twist... and ANOTHER! Twists within twists within twists. Man GitS is some good stuff. Worth staying up for.

Not a bad night overall... looking forward to seeing how our new shows progress. Later.

yami4ct

So, how much Bleach does Toonami got left before it goes on indefinite hiatus? I stopped paying attention to the anime after I realized the manga wasn't going to go anyplace good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom