• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If the Toonami staff is smart (and I have faith they are), they will cut Naruto after Episode 135. We don't need to see Filler Hell again.

As for the next show, I've charted out when currently running series will likely end. This is if there's no interruptions or other plans. Like the two-month Bleach repeats.

Samurai 7: February 9th
Sym-Bionic Titan: February 16th
ThunderCats: March 30th
Tenchi Muyo GXP: May 4th
Eureka Seven: July 27th

It's quite possible that the Cartoon Network originals will get re-ran. Especially if they're trying to bring back ThunderCats.
Bleach is still likely to end in 2014.

So we'll be stuck with this schedule for a few months.

Damn, Bad Luck Brian is that long?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Some of you guys are living in a dream world if you think stuff like Samurai 7 is going to keep people tuning in, but Naruto is a bad idea. The show is a monster, and people will tune in just for the novelty of seeing the early stuff again.

Jintor

I mean Bleach is still pulling the fucking numbers, so Naruto is a great get I think to keep that audience alive for a while. Commercial realities and all that.

I was crazy into Naruto (I watched all the filler...all of it...). I rememeber the first run of it had me hooked, that I bought the japanses dvs (which I know think were bootlegs lol).

But now?

nope. The dub is horrible (mainly Naruto's voice....nails on a chalkboard shit) and I'm not about that life anymore.

Sorry but this might be where I get off.

It's been a fun ride but c'mon.

B.K.

Some of you guys are living in a dream world if you think stuff like Samurai 7 is going to keep people tuning in, but Naruto is a bad idea. The show is a monster, and people will tune in just for the novelty of seeing the early stuff again.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't give a damn about ratings. I want good shows, not shows that are only airing for ratings.

Moaradin

Naruto is a good show though, and the dub is decent. The main problem with Naruto is the filler but that won't be relevant for quite a while.

Huh. I'm surprisingly okay with Naruto. I liked the show up into that filler arc from hell, and then just lost all interest. If they cut it out, I'd be okay with this.

Not too excited for this naruto news. If they really must show it, they should have started with shippuuden if they're able to get the rights. I think everyone whose into the show keeps up with it online.

I'm excited as hell for movie night though!

Jintor

But what if it's 5cm p/second

or Summer Wars

what then, huh

(although there's no way they'd do 5cm p/second, stupid action requirement)

AniHawk

i think with titan you kinda have to have an acquired taste for genndy tartatovsky. he likes to go with long bouts of letting the animation do the storytelling, and this often involves a lot of repetition and can lead to some poor writing.

but when it's good, it's fucking great. tonight's episode, written by paul dini, is one of my favorites. next week's tashy 497 is written by genndy himself, and a great one as well. and two weeks from now is my absolute favorite episode, lessons in love, which ends in a sequence that serves as a perfect showcase for what the show does right.

Mature

but when it's good, it's fucking great. tonight's episode, written by paul dini, is one of my favorites. next week's tashy 497 is written by genndy himself, and a great one as well. and two weeks from now is my absolute favorite episode, lessons in love, which ends in a sequence that serves as a perfect showcase for what the show does right.
Tonight's?

Its not anime also, sorry I left that out on accident. But Toonami had the best "Anime" all the time. Sorry if it seems like I am objecting it being on Toonami because I find it bad.
Why do people think TOONAMI exists to show Japanese animation? Geez one of the reasons it survived early on was the non-anime shows, yikes.
i think with titan you kinda have to have an acquired taste for genndy tartatovsky. he likes to go with long bouts of letting the animation do the storytelling, and this often involves a lot of repetition and can lead to some poor writing.
The ability to write cliched gags one after the other and still be a great show is the highest accomplishment a show can have. Not saying it's a theme for Genndy, but it happens at times with him.

Why do people think TOONAMI exists to show Japanese animation? Geez one of the reasons it survived early on was the non-anime shows, yikes.
Alright but still I wouldn't mind just more adult stuff later at night, reminds me how Clone Wars was moved to midnight on Saturdays. That was some time ago it seems like, back when I still liked Bleach.

PPG was created by Craig McCracken (husband of MLPFiM creator Lauren Faust) whereas Dexter's Lab was created by Genndy Tartakovsky. With that said both are part of each other's production staff (director, artist, etc.)

I loved Dextar's lab. Ugh the show is just. I don't know to explain it, I was quiet bored watching it but I will try and watch the episode you recommended.
But my opinion is Dextars lab > Titan.

o7TUf.png

WHHHHHY?
I watched two episodes and its still horrible. Why put this on toonami?
Seriously? It's phenomenal, please keep watching it if you have any love for the 80s, giant robots, stunning animation, great characters, I mean... It's a bit of a slow-starter I suppose, but horrible? Wow.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I mean Bleach is still pulling the fucking numbers, so Naruto is a great get I think to keep that audience alive for a while. Commercial realities and all that.

That's my thinking. Honestly, I don't think Naruto is that bad of a shonen series. It's no One Piece, but it has its moments. And the series is a mainstay of the anime world now, one of the big boys. Playing C list series and stuff that came out 8 years ago isn't going to keep the lights on much longer, unless we're talking about critically acclaimed and popular franchises.

They expanded the block to 6 hours, the variety has great expanded and now they have a plethora of popular American and Japanese animated programs, new & old. I don't really know what more people could ask for on a shoestring budget. Grabbing Naruto again shows that Toonami's situation has improved quite a bit. More ratings = More Money = More Shows

AniHawk

Alright but still I wouldn't mind just more adult stuff later at night, reminds me how Clone Wars was moved to midnight on Saturdays. That was some time ago it seems like, back when I still liked Bleach.

I loved Dextar's lab. Ugh the show is just. I don't know to explain it, I was quiet bored watching it but I will try and watch the episode you recommended.
But my opinion is Dextars lab > Titan.

depends what episodes you saw. right now is when the show is in its groove. the first five or six episodes are really hit and miss, and there are a couple in the back half i didn't care for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thus far I'd probably put SBT below most of Genndy's other shows, but it's like comparing silver and gold. SBT is very good no doubt, but I can very easily see why it didn't attract an audience (especially on CN.)

AniHawk

Thus far I'd probably put SBT below most of Genndy's other shows, but it's like comparing silver and gold. SBT is very good no doubt, but I can very easily see why it didn't attract an audience (especially on CN.)

i think it would have easily been my favorite if it finished up. didn't care much for samurai jack (52 episodes wasn't enough to close it out? really?), and dexter's lab was good. but this was serialized and clearly moving in some direction. it's rough around the edges, but the good parts are so good. if you're watching it for the first time, you're in for a treat for the upcoming three episodes. well, four episodes i guess.

from what we know, the show did actually do pretty well in the ratings. it was canceled because there wasn't a toy line.

the weird thing is the initial advertisements had the '[genndy tartatovsky]' tag, like you see in bump cards for adult swim. they were clearly going after the audience that they're still going after.

depends what episodes you saw. right now is when the show is in its groove. the first five or six episodes are really hit and miss, and there are a couple in the back half i didn't care for.

Something about them having dreams about there father or one of there fathers.

Then another episode where some goo monsters where attacking there school. They used a frequency to kill/pop them.

The others I don't recall.

AniHawk

Something about them having dreams about there father or one of there fathers.

Then another episode where some goo monsters where attacking there school. They used a frequency to kill/pop them.

The others I don't recall.

sounds like the last two episodes then. i think the previous one in particular is when the show starts getting going. the payoff doesn't happen for another three episodes though.

Naruto is probably the best mainstream anime shounen thingy ever.(Although that isn't saying much.) When naruto was good it was good..... I'm talking really really good. Hopefully they cut out all the fillers though. They were literally unwatchable.

naruto vs sasuke is the best anime fight of all time. Nothing else I have seen is even close.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Can't fault them for re-grabbing Naruto since it is still a name. This would also explain the acquisition of a frankly cut rate anime like GXP, we now know where the budget acquisition money went.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also, this proves my working theory that if the Toonami execs did have their way they would grab DBZ or Gundam in a heartbeat.

Also, this proves my working theory that if the Toonami execs did have their way they would grab DBZ or Gundam in a heartbeat.
Gundam (with the exception of 1 series) doesn't draw. Never has on Toonami.

I'd rather them keep trying to get FUNimation Channel offshoots like Witchblade, Birdy The Mighty: Decode, Speed Grapher or Claymore. They should stop going all over the place and remember who they're still catering mostly to: the [adult swim] audience.

OG Naruto on Toonami is a good look. I wish it would replace Bleach, but whatever.

If Naruto can get the ratings - and you know it will - then the money can be used to get other shows. Plus, OG Naruto will be fun to go through on TV for the first time in forever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather them keep trying to get FUNimation Channel offshoots like Witchblade, Birdy The Mighty: Decode, Speed Grapher or Claymore.
All 4 of these are shit. Some more than others (I'm looking at you, Speed Grapher).

If I was looking for stuff from other networks, I would be looking at the best stuff that Syfy aired. Monster, Noein, Gurren Lagann, etc. All of which are just sitting around collecting dust. Also steal back Samurai Champloo from Funi. Other than that (and maybe Outlaw Star), I don't think there's a whole lot out therereally worth poaching from other networks at this point. The first acquisition for 2013 should be something genuinely new if possible. The only genuinely new thing they've aired in the last year+ was Deadman Wonderland, and that did great.

All 4 of these are shit. Some more than others (I'm looking at you, Speed Grapher).

If I was looking for stuff from other networks, I would be looking at the best stuff that Syfy aired. Monster, Noein, Gurren Lagann, etc. All of which are just sitting around collecting dust. Also steal back Samurai Champloo from Funi. Other than that (and maybe Outlaw Star), I don't think there's a whole lot out therereally worth poaching from other networks at this point. The first acquisition for 2013 should be something genuinely new if possible. The only genuinely new thing they've aired in the last year+ was Deadman Wonderland, and that did great.
It's more of "what had action/titilation/isn't a borefest/has enough other stuff to get ratings" thing. All of those have enough of that to keep the [as] viewers. If this was a contest of getting the best shows, Paranoia Agent wouldn't have bombed hard. That's what I mean by all over the place, you go get Tenchi GXP (terrible) but you then get Naruto (good)? Where's the rhyme/reason? Who are you trying to target?

EDIT: Now bringing that up, would you like TOONAMI to try and get Darker Than Black? Probably not feasible, FUNi is still pimping out DVDs of that. Also it would mean Branduil would never leave this thread.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's more of "what had action/titilation/isn't a borefest/has enough other stuff to get ratings" thing. All of those have enough of that to keep the [as] viewers. If this was a contest of getting the best shows, Paranoia Agent wouldn't have bombed hard. That's what I mean by all over the place, you go get Tenchi GXP (terrible) but you then get Naruto (good)? Where's the rhyme/reason? Who are you trying to target?

EDIT: Now bringing that up, would you like TOONAMI to try and get Darker Than Black? Probably not feasible, FUNi is still pimping out DVDs of that. Also it would mean Branduil would never leave this thread.

I've never actually seen Darker Than Black, but it's been on my list. It would be pretty fun if they put it on Toonami. What they should get is Level E. [AS] loves their insane comedy and it may as well be called Trolling: The Anime, staring the Master Troll of the Universe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam (with the exception of 1 series) doesn't draw. Never has on Toonami.

I'd rather them keep trying to get FUNimation Channel offshoots like Witchblade, Birdy The Mighty: Decode, Speed Grapher or Claymore. They should stop going all over the place and remember who they're still catering mostly to: the [adult swim] audience.

Gundam Wing is probably still third from the top in terms of ratings for Toonami.

Maron

With them saying they're listening to requests for movies, and with FUNimation now having the rights to Strong World, it may be a nice time for OP fans to submit that as an option for them. It'd be awesome to see that premiere on TV first.

Wouldn't G Gundam work? It's exciting and hot-blooded enough to keep people around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOCzB35kFY

I'm in agreement that Strong World should be a movie suggestion. Though I doubt it will work.
aired during the afternoon TOONAMI days. I don't think they aired all the eps. I have no idea what the number were since at that timeslot every show did well.
gundam 00 was a huge hit for animonday on syfy

lol no
different target group/channel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
aired during the afternoon TOONAMI days. I don't think they aired all the eps. I have no idea what the number were since at that timeslot every show did well.

different target group/channel.

No, Toonami did get through G Gundam a few times actually. I think at least once, maybe twice. I remember sitting there with my friends eating pizza watching the final episode and going nuts when everything blew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom