• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Brotherhood is downright cheerful sometimes, especially compared to the 2003 series that constantly tried to come up with depressing storylines and parallels to the Elrics. Remember the two kids who thought their mom abandoned them, when she actually went blind and was killed by artillery when she went to look for them? Yeah.

when you look at what the head writer for that series worked on in the past, ALL OF IT makes sense. he co-wrote the adaptation of GENOCYBER.

G E N O C Y B E R

also, Angel Cop. the man needs a fucking hug.

Jintor

It isn't "kinda" like that, it's exactly that.
KuGsj.gif

shut your face!

well i know they were gone and stuff, but just as far as series pacing goes it doesn't make a lot of sense to go HUGHES DIES, other stuff, other stuff, other stuff, I'M SAD ABOUT HUGHES NOW

Seda

well i know they were gone and stuff, but just as far as series pacing goes it doesn't make a lot of sense to go HUGHES DIES, other stuff, other stuff, other stuff, I'M SAD ABOUT HUGHES NOW

I think it works well *shrug*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It works for their specific character arcs though. They start finding a way to get everything to go their way and then they're reminded that nothing ever goes to plan and their actions will have unexpected consequences. It also helps tie in with the murder accusation that just happened.

TheWon

Banned
I'm covered in the ashes of my daughter, this shit is so tormented.

I think Brotherhood is downright cheerful sometimes, especially compared to the 2003 series that constantly tried to come up with depressing storylines and parallels to the Elrics. Remember the two kids who thought their mom abandoned them, when she actually went blind and was killed by artillery when she went to look for them? Yeah.

Main parts that stands out as being particularly dark/ memorablefor a lot of the middle of Brotherhood for me are
Ed digging up his mom and Hohenheim's backstory.

To be honest I like the filler series more than the manga followed Brotherhood for that reason. The Sins were more threaten, and the show was more serious. No dam chibi faces every other scene, and no dam pandas!

It works for their specific character arcs though. They start finding a way to get everything to go their way and then they're reminded that nothing ever goes to plan and their actions will have unexpected consequences. It also helps tie in with the murder accusation that just happened.

maybe it works better when it hasn't been spread out over like a month. i just feel like it's too late for this plot point now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Why? This is FAR more natural. Coping with the death of a person is a process that takes time. The first anime didn't give the slightest shit about Hughes' death after it happened. This series makes coping with his death a 45 episode long process. That's much more realistic and relatable.

How would you even work it out to have the Elrics back in Central to be upset about his death prior to this? They are where they are for logical in-universe reasons.

Seda

maybe it works better when it hasn't been spread out over like a month. i just feel like it's too late for this plot point now.

Oddly enough, in the timeframe of the show itself, the Elrics figure out about the murder a month or two after it happens.

Why? This is FAR more natural. Coping with the death of a person is a process that takes time. The first anime didn't give the slightest shit about Hughes' death after it happened. This series makes coping with his death a 45 episode long process. That's much more realistic and relatable.

How would you even work it out to have the Elrics back in Central to be upset about his death prior to this? They are where they are for logical in-universe reasons.

it might be more realistic, but with the schizophrenic tone and pacing of this series it just seems unnatural to circle back to this and expect it to have a similar impact.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GAF choking like a mother. :X

Also, four airings of the Ni No Kuni reivew so far. Crazy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
it might be more realistic, but with the schizophrenic tone and pacing of this series it just seems unnatural to circle back to this and expect it to have a similar impact.

If anything, it has more impact. It's actually been allowed to germinate over time, something the series is accused of NOT doing earlier on (including the Hughes episode itself).

Putting all the episodes dealing with Hughes' death all together just makes it a blip on the radar, just another moment in the timeline of the characters' journey. That's how the first anime treats it. The way Brotherhood does it, it's an ongoing process. It's a constant reminder that death really is permanent and has a lasting and indelible impact on the people left behind.

Besides, the events that occur in these episodes here are pretty dependent on the viewer knowing that the Fuhrer is a Homunculus and that they actually rule the nation outright, which are both revelations that came several episodes after Hughes died. And, aside from all that, the fact that time has passed is important to the narrative in and of itself. That Mustang has been investigating the Hughes case OVER TIME is the reason why Envy is pushed to action and why Lust is keeping tabs on Havoc. The fact that time has passed is what makes Edward's words all the more difficult for Gracia to deal with, because she had time to come to peace with what happened to her husband and just had someone reopen old wounds with even more tragic information. None of this works, at all, if it comes immediately after his actual death.

Basically, to do this earlier, you have to change pretty much everything about how pretty much all the major characters behaved over the last 5 or 6 episodes.

Jintor

It's a bit of a problem in Brotherhood, but that's just because up until a certain point Brotherhood's pacing is fuuuuuuuucked

Seda

It's a bit of a problem in Brotherhood, but that's just because up until a certain point Brotherhood's pacing is fuuuuuuuucked

I believe we're at the point now were pacing issues are pretty minimal for the rest of the show, outside of a smaller point or two.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's time to blow this scene.

Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 288 - The Final Trump Card! Ichigo, To the Decisive Battle
12:30 - Naruto - 15 - Zero Visibility: The Sharingan Shatters
1:00 - Soul Eater - 4 - Engage the Witch Hunter! A Remedial Lesson in the Graveyard?
1:30 - Thundercats - 23 - Recipe for Disaster
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 18 - The Price of Fortune
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 17 - Cold Flame
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 13 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 2)
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 14 - Bohemian Rhapsody
5:00 - Inuyasha - 35 - The True Owner of the Great Sword
5:30 - Inuyasha - 36 - Kagome Kidnapped by Koga, The Wolf Demon!

Later.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does anyone know what the total shard count ended up being? Was it different between the anime and manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom