• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm... what exactly is Toonami?
An action cartoon (but mostly anime) block that airs Saturday nights on Cartoon Network, where Adult Swim used to play.

It started in 97 as a weekday afternoon block, then moved to Saturday nights in 04. It was canceled in 08 (?) and brought back last year.

Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, One Piece, and more all aired on the block in its prime and you can generally attribute anime's explosion in popularity in mid-2000s to it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm not really expecting a lot of Eva 1.1 to be edited. Not unless they are really prudish about Misato lounging around the apartment.

Otherwise it's just a lot of meandering. Sometimes looking for jewel shards, sometimes looking for wherever Naraku has hidden himself now, sometimes looking for a new power for the Tetsusaiga. Little mini-plots coming and going. Oh, and filler. Plenty of random filler here and there. BEWARE SHIPPO FILLER.

If you really love the main characters, there will be some nice moments here and there. That's pretty much the driving force behind the series, and even if things get pretty stale that never really goes away.

i wish they would've done more with putting the characters (or at least InuYasha) in present day. that was always really fun.

I've been watching EVA lately, so this is convenient for me. Do the movies have the same voice actors?

The dub for the movie remakes was done well over a decade later, and a lot of the original voice actors weren't even available any more. Shinji and Misato have the same voices (and Asuka, but she isn't in the first movie), but the rest of the cast are new. The new voices do a pretty good job, though.

Moaradin

The dub for the movie remakes was done well over a decade later, and a lot of the original voice actors weren't even available any more. Shinji and Misato have the same voices (and Asuka, but she isn't in the first movie), but the rest of the cast are new. The new voices do a pretty good job, though.

Alright. Misato and Asuka are the only ones I care about anyways.

TrounceX

Holy shit Toonami actually got one of the new Eva movies?

I'm in shock. Whoever is running the show behind the scenes over there is doing an incredibly good job so far. Wow.

It's not just this either. I mean I've completed every anime Toonami is currently airing, yet I still feel compelled to sit down and watch every Saturday night. That's saying something.

Now all they need to do is go out and get Eva 2.2 and Inuyasha Final Act.

Seda

They've said (somewhere) that they aren't really considering this a proper movie night even, just a birthday special thing. So I assume a movie night could still happen relatively soon (like in the summer sometime).

I forget if that was a tumblr post or something they said at the Momocon panel.

TrounceX

They've said (somewhere) that they aren't really considering this a proper movie night even, just a birthday special thing. So I assume a movie night could still happen relatively soon (like in the summer sometime).

I forget if that was a tumblr post or something they said at the Momocon panel.

Makes me wonder what other movies they could air?

What have they aired in the past? I didn't follow Toonami at all once they moved off of weekdays, and even then only stuck around for DBZ and maybe the show directly after, so I have no idea.

Seda

Makes me wonder what other movies they could air?

What have they aired in the past? I didn't follow Toonami at all once they moved off of weekdays, and even then only stuck around for DBZ and maybe the show directly after, so I have no idea.

I would assume Bleach/Naruto movies, maybe FMA.

Raxus

Holy shit Toonami actually got one of the new Eva movies?

I'm in shock. Whoever is running the show behind the scenes over there is doing an incredibly good job so far. Wow.

It's not just this either. I mean I've completed every anime Toonami is currently airing, yet I still feel compelled to sit down and watch every Saturday night. That's saying something.

Now all they need to do is go out and get Eva 2.2 and Inuyasha Final Act.

You poor soul. You will not make it through GXP without losing your sanity. It defies the human brain's capability for understanding.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You poor soul. You will not make it through GXP without losing your sanity. It defies the human brain's capability for understanding.

It cannot possibly get worse after the last episode. The makers had to have realized that they've been making crap after that one. Someone must have righted that ship after that nuke.

Seda

.........what

Did we step into Star Wars for a sec?

Terminators
Now with light sabers.
This should be awesome... but it's not.

"Yup, I'm a badass."

LOL

"Yep. I'm a badass" Where did this come from?!

"Yep...I'm a bad ass."

DID HE SERIOUSLY CALL HIMSELF A BADASS???

We got a badass over here.

What just happened?

Make it stop, make it end, the pain of the stupid is overbearing.

Seriously how did we get here?

What the fuck is going on?\

I know right?!?!

This is so fucking random.

this is horrible

I dont understand

What the hell is going on

Like seriously what

WHAT WHAT WHAT

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with this show?

I don't know what's going on anymore.

WTF is going on.

I now know what the fevered dreams of the insane look like and it is GXP.

WTF is happening

Kill me now

WHAT IS GOING ON????

WHAT IS THIS!

WHAT IS THIS!!!

WHAT

IS

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

My mind is so full of fuck right now.

@_@

GXP Stahp

Guys, I'm scared. Did we get drugged again?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
END! END END END!
Blarg.

drugs make more sense than this

Yes plaz

stahp

Gxp

Stahp

I wasn't aware I took some variety of drugs this evening

TBW5cyJ.jpg

What am I watching right now? WHAT IS THIS? WHY DOES IT EXIST? AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

This is Aizen's doing.

What was that? I don't even.........

My head hurts

GXP, you're the worst.

Seriously.

Kill yourself.

I'm going to bed...or something.

I don't think my brain can handle any more of...whatever the hell is going on.

My brain, my brain rejects that this is a thing that was created by humans, it was created by aliens who wanted to explore our humon capacity for pain.

If only I had a gun on me

We have all peeked into Aizen's Shikai.

God help us.

For some reason I wanted to get this all in one post.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I read a summary of the last episode.
We're going to die from rage. If Casshern's finale made us cry, GXP's finale is going to piss us off.

Casshern Sins was so good.

TrounceX

Actually I don't recall a single thing about GXP, except that its listed in my anime list and rated as a 1/10.

I'm assuming the trauma was so great that I purged it from my memory entirely.

BatDan

If GXP is so god damn bad, why did Toonami pick it up? That's the one show I always skip when it's on :lol

Likely reasons:
1. It was cheap. Again, they're on a budget so cheaper shows are better. Which surprises me that they got One Piece.
2. Nostalgia. Tenchi was on the original Toonami, so they thought they could get that audience with a series that never aired. However, this one didn't have Tenchi minus that one episode, and he didn't even sound the same, and Ryoko sounded horrid.

Likely reasons:
1. It was cheap. Again, they're on a budget so cheaper shows are better. Which surprises me that they got One Piece.
2. Nostalgia. Tenchi was on the original Toonami, so they thought they could get that audience with a series that never aired. However, this one didn't have Tenchi minus that one episode, and he didn't even sound the same, and Ryoko sounded horrid.

1. my theory about this: Toonami as an "A" slot and a "B" slot. the A slot has seen Deadman, Samurai 7, and now Soul Eater. the B slot? well the B slot has had Casshern Sins and Tenchi Muyo GXP. i don't imagine either of those broke the bank. you're right though, One Piece is surprising. so maybe they got Tenchi before they got the budget increase.

2. yeah, this is probably the reason they picked the show over anything else. i refuse to believe there were not better shows available; they just jumped at the name "Tenchi Muyo". also, Ryoko sounds that way the entire third OVA series. skip it. you're welcome.

If GXP is so god damn bad, why did Toonami pick it up? That's the one show I always skip when it's on :lol

At the time, probably a combination of name recognition and cost - Naruto was announced soon after GXP started if I'm not mistaken.

They've even admitted on the Tumblr not everyone of staff is a fan of the show, but at this point, it's not hurting the ratings where it is, so might as well let it run.

At the time, probably a combination of name recognition and cost - Naruto was announced soon after GXP started if I'm not mistaken.

They've even admitted on the Tumblr not everyone of staff is a fan of the show, but at this point, it's not hurting the ratings where it is, so might as well let it run.

well, they said Naruto was acquired with extra money outside of their budget. whether that means ENTIRELY with the extra money or with the money in their budget PLUS the extra money was never made clear, and i doubt it will be.

and i asked a question on the Tumblr wondering if they'd have found Tenchi GXP suitable for the block without the Tenchi name, to which they said they weren't sure.

oh, and somebody uploaded their recording of the panel at Momocon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIOUhUgjAs

Actually I don't recall a single thing about GXP, except that its listed in my anime list and rated as a 1/10.

I'm assuming the trauma was so great that I purged it from my memory entirely.

Now you're being too generous. Hell, 0/10 would still be too generous. Only negative numbers should apply

Now you're being too generous. Hell, 0/10 would still be too generous. Only negative numbers should apply

to be fair, there is something about Tenchi GXP that is at least watchable. i have no idea what it is, though if i would guess it's probably the fact that it's just so bad that you can't look away.

Seda

to be fair, there is something about Tenchi GXP that is at least watchable. i have no idea what it is, though if i would guess it's probably the fact that it's just so bad that you can't look away.

Something like that. I suppose being really really bad is better(?) than just boring?

BatDan

Starting OP from the very beginning is ugh. Don't tell me this is the 4 Kids version? And I hope they cut out all the filler.

No! It's not!
4Kids lost the rights years ago. Funimation has it now. I don't get why people think they'll show the 4Kids version.

Jeez, this thread needs an FAQ.

ok, here's my notes. i'm going to put the main two up here: the new Toonami logo they showed used a similar kind of "computer font" to the one that's used now. it obviously looks different, but it's done in a similar style. it's not a big shake-up. as far as One Piece goes, they said they're not sure whether or not it will replace Tenchi Muyo GXP. the impression i got was that they do have another show waiting, regardless. i'd go so far as to call it a definite possibility that we should expect a new show besides One Piece soon.

generally, old shows don't do as well. for example: Robotech.

Tenchi movies were not shown on the block because the series as a whole saw diminishing returns in the ratings; they started out well with the OVA series, went down with Universe, and went down again with Tokyo. by the end, the network decided to move on from the series.

Jason, Gill, and Kim sit down with a list of shows that are available. criteria: what they like, what they think will do well, what will work for Adult Swim, what's cheap. Lazzo gives approval.

the TOM action figure they have is a leftover from a giveaway they held. it was not cheap to produce.

AS has pre-existing deals with companies like Funimation and VIZ, one-off deals with others based on situational availability. the ones they have pre-existing deals with are generaly the ones they go to first.

the decision to bring Toonami back was made just a few weeks after the response to April Fool's. it was not a kind of pilot for bringing the series back, just an AS prank, though Jason and Gill had hoped it would. episodes were licensed once, for free. distributors essentially said "have fun"

the new Absolution is smaller, half the size of the current one (the current one is said to be the size of a football field)

TOM 5 is an actual render, the Absolution you might see floating around is just concept art. they wanted TOM to look a little "meaner", beat-up.

Jason did reference "TOM the tank engine". Sean thought TOM should have a face, Jason and Gill thought it was a horrible idea; not necessarily because of him having a face, but because of the difficulties involved with facial animation. ultimately, the network wanted Toonami to skew a bit younger, and make TOM less "manly". it was Jason's idea to have a crew of other guys, and it's an idea he still likes. they decided that overall TOM having just a helmet was "cooler"

although the Tumblr has said the birthday celebration with Evangelion is separate from the movie nights, Jason did refer to it as "the first movie night"

speeches started out as the result of essentially filling space; there were less ads back then, so they needed to do something

Toonami at its height had quite a large staff, with a staff concept designer and 5 employees solely dedicated to working on CGI

shows from the competition are out. “we’re definitely going to be looking, I don’t necessarily want Toonami to be all anime, the market is looking pretty grim for American action animation”. Jason used Motorcity as an example.

*** "if it's on Cartoon Network, we can't show it." CN does not want to have any sort of crossover with AS for obvious reasons. this includes Boomerang. Samurai Jack was used as an example, and I got the impression that they'd be airing it if they could.

Young Justice will not be shown on Toonami because it is more complicated due to it being a DC show. this likely means the rights are tangled up or DC is harder to deal with, possibly that they don't want any of their programs airing on Adult Swim? that might squash hopes of Justice League, Batman: The Animated Series, etc. this is NOT because they don't like show; Jason clarified several times that they like the show and think it's great.

Sailor Moon will be looked at if/when it becomes available (i think this was probably obvious, but I've heard some rumblings that the series doesn't fit on Toonami so i thought i'd mention it), Samurai Champloo was mentioned as a possibility though I get the feeling this was just the usual "we're looking at all we can, whatever we can"; i wouldn't take this as confirmation that it's something they're actively trying to get, but that they believe the show would fit on Toonami. like Sailor Moon, i've seen some people say otherwise.

InuYasha "just happened to work out." 3am-6am "we can more do what we want." this could either mean they had to purchase InuYasha and it was just that cheap, they had to renew the rights to it and it was just that cheap, or they had the rights already. basically, it means if something's cheap enough they can throw it on the back end. maybe hope for old AS classics?

Jason said a week-long TIE event costs upwards of $500,000. he then said this was "well more" than their entire budget for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom