• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
*** "if it's on Cartoon Network, we can't show it." CN does not want to have any sort of crossover with AS for obvious reasons. this includes Boomerang. Samurai Jack was used as an example, and I got the impression that they'd be airing it if they could.

So SBT...?

Here you go guys: the work in progress new Toonami logo:

TimYqx4.jpg

Andrex said:
So SBT...?

Wasn't on Cartoon Network, while things like Jack are still airing on a Cartoon Network branded channel.

Raxus

So SBT...?

Right place, right time. It was already canceled and didn't qualify for Boomerang. So they can advertise SBT and not have to worry about the blowback. Granted I think it is silly since most of the stuff they show is aimed at teens and kids.

Right place, right time. It was already canceled and didn't qualify for Boomerang. So they can advertise SBT and not have to worry about the blowback. Granted I think it is silly since most of the stuff they show is aimed at teens and kids.

Yeah, but if Toonami skewed older even when it was on Cartoon Network, it would really stand out now when the old end of CN's demo is probably a 12-year-old boy.

well Jason did mention that Cartoon Network is worried about parents that would get upset should their little kids tune in and get an eyeful of Black Dynamite.

i believe he said if Samurai Jack falls off of Boomerang, it becomes a possibility.

789shadow

Banned
There is a short series of filler character specific episodes before skypeia they could start with.
Great idea, start One Piece with 5 individual filler episodes that don't tell you anything about the main character's backstories and history, and follow it up with two consecutive filler arcs, and then the longest and arguably least popular saga in all of One Piece. GREAT PLAN.

Great idea, start One Piece with 5 individual filler episodes that don't tell you anything about the main character's backstories and history, and follow it up with two consecutive filler arcs, and then the longest and arguably least popular saga in all of One Piece. GREAT PLAN.

Water Seven is significantly longer than Skypiea.

Starting out with shitty filler would be a terrible move, though.

789shadow

Banned
Water Seven is significantly longer than Skypiea.

Starting out with shitty filler would be a terrible move, though.
I'm just going on arcs, really. Water Seven is generally considered to be two arcs, Water Seven and Enies Lobby. Skypeia is the longest arc in the manga, while fucking Fishman Island is the longest arc in the anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Skypiea is a better arc in retrospect. Meaning that elements introduced during it will become clear or important later in the series.
Like dials, Eneru's Mantra, the Ponyglyph Robin finds, the gold they get, and some others I can't recall right now.

Skypiea is actually better in the dub thanks to J. Michael Tatum making Eneru his own. He just dominates that role.

789shadow

Banned
Skypiea is a better arc in retrospect. Meaning that elements introduced during it will become clear or important later in the series.
Like dials, Eneru's Mantra, the Ponyglyph Robin finds, the gold they get, and some others I can't recall right now.

Skypiea is actually better in the dub thanks to J. Michael Tatum making Eneru his own. He just dominates that role.
It also sets up
Usopp leaving the crew because of his attachment to the Going Merry.

Drago

Skypeia is definitely one of the most important arcs in retrospect, it's just such a bore to watch it all happen, imo. After I finished it I gave up on One Piece for a little while before coming back a few weeks later. Only other arc to make me do that was the beginning of Thriller Bark, which was worse than anything in Skypeia

BatDan

Naruto Shippuden's English Dubbed voices are so bad. I very much regret listening to it.

They can't be any worse than ones on Bleach.

Scratch that. The voices in Bleach aren't "bad", they're just really bored and phoned in. Granted, some of them are bad. Like Yammy's voice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I decided to put on Tenchi Universe for shits and giggles and the contrast is startling. Tenchi is the only competent character. Everyone else is an idiot.

EDIT: Not only are they all idiots but they think Tenchi is as well. Poor fucking guy.

LycanXIII

So I decided to put on Tenchi Universe for shits and giggles and the contrast is startling. Tenchi is the only competent character. Everyone else is an idiot.

EDIT: Not only are they all idiots but they think Tenchi is as well. Poor fucking guy.

I bought it the other week, need to get around to watching it sometime.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I bought it the other week, need to get around to watching it sometime.

It's on hulu so I'm watching it there. Swear to god everyone on this show is fucking crazy, I feel for the poor guy. Two episodes in and he's been kidnapped, almost killed and someone tried to commit a murder suicide with him. He also has new insane roommates because his dad and grandpa aren't bothered by gigantic space battles occurring on their front lawn...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Evangelion on Toonami? This isn't my grandfather's Toonami, I can tell you that much lol. Too bad I'm in the UK.

Neon Genesis Evangelion actually aired on your grandfather's Toonami. Albeit only for like 2 episodes and heavily edited.

It also aired in full on Adult Swim back around 2005 or so, so Eva 1.11 is right at home here.

LycanXIII

It's on hulu so I'm watching it there. Swear to god everyone on this show is fucking crazy, I feel for the poor guy. Two episodes in and he's been kidnapped, almost killed and someone tried to commit a murder suicide with him. He also has new insane roommates because his dad and grandpa aren't bothered by gigantic space battles occurring on their front lawn...

And they bring a new one in each episode for the first 7 or so.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How do the rebuild of evangelion movies compare to the anime series?

For newbies it works as a more refined, condensed version of the stories...

...and for old-school fans it takes the story in a new direction.

So far so good, but we're only 2 movies in.

Moaradin

Any word on the english dub? Seems like the first two were dubbed but not the third yet.

Jacob

I haven't seen 3.0 yet but based on the spoilers from people who have...

NvKVV.png

Jintor

God, people have to learn the types of questions to ask at cons. This one just went on and on and Jason only rescued it by turning it into a archives question

Hey everyone. I don't normally join you guys for Toonami, but I think I'll start doing that, starting with movie night. I enjoyed hanging out here on April Fools' Day and seeing everyone react in real time.

I'm gonna go ahead and take a stab at guessing what shows will replace what, since Soul Eater popped up.

Thundercats -> Fairy Tail
Tenchi GXP -> One Piece
Sym-Bionic Titan -> Hunter X Hunter
Eureka 7 -> Darker than Black

Let's see how that goes. I don't think they're silly enough to introduce six shonen in a row, so I might bump Darker Than Black up a bit.

God I hope they don't long-running shonen overload

It makes sense from a business perspective, I guess. Shonen has proven to bring in the ratings time and time again, and they won't have to shuffle the schedule nearly as often if they aren't always introducing short shows.

Jacob

On the one hand, I want Toonami to bring in the ratings and thrive. On the other hand, I'd like to see a little more variety and turnover to keep things interesting.

On the one hand, I want Toonami to bring in the ratings and thrive. On the other hand, I'd like to see a little more variety and turnover to keep things interesting.

I suppose the back half could supply the variety, even if it's likely to be cheaply acquired (or free) old shows that have already run on AS action. They could switch out FMA and the two slots Bebop is taking up anytime now. FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and Big O will probably all show up in the back half at some point.

I miss GITS. I still think it'd be a smart move to bring it back and replace one of the Bebops with it. Would add some more variety, another show to draw clips from for promos, Bebop wouldn't conclude quite as quickly, and those that didn't catch GITS before Toonami came back will have a chance to see it. They did just drop it in the middle of season 1.

Jintor

I don't believe shonen has staying power past the first two hour block. May as well air the more varied stuff after that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That was pretty much spelled out anyway for a number of weeks which is why everybody has been focused on the heir to GXP.

Thundercats will be running a second time. Welp.

Where'd you see this? Did they confirm it on the tumblr? Or did you get it from the presentation?

FAKE EDIT: Nvm. Just say it on the tumblr. Shit sucks. Also, this made me shake my head.

Adult Swim Tumblr said:
With everything else we’re doing, replacing T’Cats was not a priority, sorry. Also: many, many others have written to us asking to run the show again…
WHO?!?!?!?!?

BatDan

ThunderCats is re-running? That's a shame...
People wrote in to have it reair. There are some weird-as-hell Toonami fans.

With this news, the tentative end of the second run is October 5th.

Where'd you see this? Did they confirm it on the tumblr? Or did you get it from the presentation?

FAKE EDIT: Nvm. Just say it on the tumblr. Shit sucks. Also, this made me shake my head.

WHO?!?!?!?!?

Sara's been spamming their e-mail without them knowing. The e-mails are coming from within the building!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom