• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

One Piece titles can be pretty stupid. I hate ones that say shit like Luffy vs. Somedude, and the fight doesn't actually start til the very last minute.

i hate the ones that tell me exactly what's going to happen, or give me such a huge clue about what's going to happen that i'd have to be an oblivious moron not to figure it out.

hm, this episode is about trying to stop the bomb about to destroy Alubarna, and yet the title is about Pell, who's nowhere to be seen. i'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Moaradin

SPOILERS! Don't read until after Alabasta.

Bomb supposedly will impact a 5 km radius --> Pell has the bomb explode in his claws --> survives. I wonder if they even try to explain this later.

Yea I did not like that.
Kinda undermined his sacrifice. They didn't even try to explain it either. He just shows up and that's it.
Otherwise Alabasta was great. I'm 167 episodes in currently and I'm enjoying this arc a lot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SPOILERS! Don't read until after Alabasta.

Bomb supposedly will impact a 5 km radius --> Pell has the bomb explode in his claws --> survives. I wonder if they even try to explain this later.

It's just one of those things.

Moaradin

I thought the payoff was way greater for Crocodile. The Baroque Works arc is how many episodes long? That shit was half the show at that point.

7 One Piece Collection DVDs down, 1 to go (just finished 182)

Eneru is one smug sonofabitch. He's just like Aizen, only more entertaining to watch. Not to mention, he'll be finished off real soon unlike that other OP troll

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
7 One Piece Collection DVDs down, 1 to go (just finished 182)

Eneru is one smug sonofabitch. He's just like Aizen, only more entertaining to watch. Not to mention, he'll be finished off real soon unlike that other OP troll

He also had the greatest reaction face of all time.

I like the Arlong fight better. I felt like it had higher stakes, emotionally. Luffy was avenging the death of Nami's mother and all those who'd been persecuted under his rule, even if he wasn't aware of it at the time. While Crocodile's plot had broader implications for Alabaster had it succeeded, on a personal level he hadn't quite hurt Vivi the same way Arlong hurt Nami, and after the fight Vivi gets to resume her life as normal.

I think the same also holds true for Luffy's fight against Wapol, where the villain embodies a character's trauma moreso than posing an active threat, although Wapol being kind of a joke villain softened that impact a bit.

Alabaster, Drum, and Arlong are definitely my favorite arcs of the first half or so of the series. Once Water 7 starts though it's all gravy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like the Arlong fight better. I felt like it had higher stakes, emotionally. Luffy was avenging the death of Nami's mother and all those who'd been persecuted under his rule, even if he wasn't aware of it at the time. While Crocodile's plot had broader implications for Alabaster had it succeeded, on a personal level he hadn't quite hurt Vivi the same way Arlong hurt Nami, and after the fight Vivi gets to resume her life as normal.

I think the same also holds true for Luffy's fight against Wapol, where the villain embodies a character's trauma moreso than posing an active threat, although Wapol being kind of a joke villain softened that impact a bit.

Alabaster, Drum, and Arlong are definitely my favorite arcs of the first half or so of the series. Once Water 7 starts though it's all gravy.

Arlong surviving that scenario is patently ridiculous. Those people would straight up murder him.

Sigmaah

Started watching One Piece and my god it is so good. I always hated it because I would watch 4Kids when I was younger and I would see their one piece and I immediately assumed the show was lame, (damn 4Kids opening). Watching it now and it's so good! Choppers story was so amazing and so damn sad, had me in tears. I'm on episode 104 now, I can't stop watching, Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper are so damn funny lol.

What I liked about the Crocodile fight - and really the whole Alabasta sequence - was the thought that everyone leveled up a bit, for lack of a better term.

Though I did find
Vivi's attempts to stop the fight to be a little, well, silly. Why not go straight to the royal army and tell them not to shoot as opposed to just standing in front of the rebel army and hoping they don't trample over you? I guess it would not have mattered with Baroque Works guys planted in the army, but still, something about it just seemed like it was written to draw out the fight.

Necrovex

All this One Piece arc reminds me that I need to continue watching One Piece. I stopped watching at the end of Enies Lobby. After plowing through that and Water 7 in a week, I needed a break from the show.

Seda

Streaming at Funi continues!

On episode 27 now!

They had Eric Vale in earlier. He basically said 'I don't like to talk about any projects because I don't know what has been announced or not' - making a joke he didn't know if the Funimation One Piece dub was announced yet. He did show some good memory about the series, because he was the writer for a lot of it, which surprised me a little. I kinda assumed all this would become a blur to them.

BKUOyGiCEAAuQ8X.jpg:large

Moaradin

i don't even like "We Are"

but god damn was hearing it at the end of episode 129 EPIC

I loved that part. Too bad it was cut off early. There is another time in the not too distant future where it gets played fully. That shit was epic.

Speaking of opening songs, I just got to the 4th one. Don't really like this one. 3rd one was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom