• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its so hard to believe that Bleach has been airing in the US since I was 16. I'm 22 now, and its finally entering the home stretch.

Bleach is too long for its own good.

That means I was 14 when the show started airing and i'll be around 22 when the original run of the show finally ends. Bleach will have been around for 8 years of my life. Fuck.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
and in Japan?

See above and according to the Wikipedia the light novel series is among the most popular in Japan. Basically this series is already fairly popular, which is probably why it is the first ANiplex USA series to be chosen for Toonami.

See above and according to the Wikipedia the light novel series is among the most popular in Japan. Basically this series is already fairly popular, which is probably why it is the first ANiplex USA series to be chosen for Toonami.

well, let's hope that popularity gets replicated, even if the show ends up being garbage (which, from what i've heard...............yeah). though i'm sure there are more than a few examples of popularity in Japan failing to translate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
well, let's hope that popularity gets replicated, even if the show ends up being garbage (which, from what i've heard...............yeah). though i'm sure there are more than a few examples of popularity in Japan failing to translate.

It'll translate, the crowd that likes Bleach should like it well enough.

That means I was 14 when the show started airing and i'll be around 22 when the original run of the show finally ends. Bleach will have been around for 8 years of my life. Fuck.

I know, it makes me feel old. I remember when it first started airing...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The thing that scares me is that Sword Art Online could prove to be even more popular over here, although if I recall correctly the dot hack series never achieve any sort of popularity in spite of the push given to it by Bandai. Still, the premise alone is rather palatable to the west, MMORPGS are huge over here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The thing that scares me is that Sword Art Online could prove to be even more popular over here, although if I recall correctly the dot hack series never achieve any sort of popularity in spite of the push given to it by Bandai. Still, the premise alone is rather palatable to the west, MMORPGS are huge over here.

Yea, if .hack had come out around now it would have done better. Back then MMOs weren't quite as popular.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I think .hack didn't catch on for a couple of reasons.

1. The anime. When SIGN was promoted on Cartoon Network, the trailers made it look action-packed. But it was actually very slow, with action happening rarely and a lot of talking. The series didn't last long in a real time slot and was pushed deep into the middle of the night (I think like 4 AM). When they brought over Legend of the Twilight and ROOTS, instead of giving them a chance, Cartoon Network put them in the same 4 AM time slot.

2. The games. While decent JRPGs, people probably didn't want to pay $50 dollars for a "Part 1". Especially when they'd have to shelve out $50 dollars again and again for the entire story. Same thing with G.U. and its three games.
These days, I imagine there would just be one game and the further installments would be DLC.

1. The anime. When SIGN was promoted on Cartoon Network, the trailers made it look action-packed. But it was actually very slow, with action happening rarely and a lot of talking. The series didn't last long in a real time slot and was pushed deep into the middle of the night (I think like 4 AM). When they brought over Legend of the Twilight and ROOTS, instead of giving them a chance, Cartoon Network put them in the same 4 AM time slot.

It was pushed back pretty quickly, but it wasn't so bad as that. The rest of SIGN aired at midnight, and it even continued airing there in reruns after it had finished (this was when Saturday evenings were part of the SVES block that Cartoon Network was running which was basically the same thing as Toonami but with a fake Samus running around instead of TOM).

Twilight and Roots, IIRC, aired on Friday evenings/Saturday mornings around 1 AM.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
A fair point but still MMORPGS are a much bigger deal these days and Sword Art Online has none of that inter-media franchise baggage to deal with.

did .hack SIGN make sense if you played the video games first?

I remember getting tricked thinking it was an action show but when I watched it I was completely lost.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I remember getting tricked thinking it was an action show but when I watched it I was completely lost.

Not all that much since by and large they were two different sets of characters.

BatDan

It was pushed back pretty quickly, but it wasn't so bad as that. The rest of SIGN aired at midnight, and it even continued airing there in reruns after it had finished (this was when Saturday evenings were part of the SVES block that Cartoon Network was running which was basically the same thing as Toonami but with a fake Samus running around instead of TOM).

Twilight and Roots, IIRC, aired on Friday evenings/Saturday mornings around 1 AM.

Was it that? I remember 4 AM for some reason... huh.

A fair point but still MMORPGS are a much bigger deal these days and Sword Art Online has none of that inter-media franchise baggage to deal with.

This too. Legend of the Twilight only really makes sense if you played IMOQ.

It made sense without playing the games, because the games didn't take place until after the end of SIGN. It did take awhile into the series to completely make sense of things, but that was because the show was fundamentally a mystery series and character drama. A lot of the stuff going on was supposed to be just as big a mystery to the characters as it was to the viewers.

2. The games. While decent JRPGs, people probably didn't want to pay $50 dollars for a "Part 1". Especially when they'd have to shelve out $50 dollars again and again for the entire story. Same thing with G.U. and its three games.
These days, I imagine there would just be one game and the further installments would be DLC.

Agreed. I remember Legend of the Twilight Bracelet debuting at 12 AM EST, but that's probably just time zone trickery or something. I know they pushed it into the dead block on Friday nights and left it to die, just like they did to ROOTS, Cyborg 009 and Gundam Seed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Agreed. I remember Legend of the Twilight Bracelet debuting at 12 AM EST, but that's probably just time zone trickery or something. I know they pushed it into the dead block on Friday nights and left it to die, just like they did to ROOTS, Cyborg 009 and Gundam Seed.

I liked 009, I used to set up a VCR to tape it every week. It used to get Twilight Bracelet as well. 009 deserved better, it was pretty fun.

Yu Yu Hakusho had it even worse. The last 25 or so episodes aired at 4 or 5 AM, and that only even happened because a fan who knew someone at CN had asked them if they were ever going to finish airing it, and Cartoon Network had completely forgotten they even owed the show.

Jintor

see, when the crew gets to fightin' people there's very rarely a moment where i've thought to myself that they're stalling or just being too slow, as opposed to something like Bleach or Naruto for about half the Zabuza arc.

Well, it's better than the absolute horseshit that is Naruto or Bleach, but it still takes waaaaaay tooooooooo longgggggggggggggg

Yu Yu Hakusho had it even worse. The last 25 or so episodes aired at 4 or 5 AM, and that only even happened because a fan who knew someone at CN had asked them if they were ever going to finish airing it, and Cartoon Network had completely forgotten they even owed the show.

Wow. WOW. That's the reason why there was such a big gap between where they left off on Toonami and the last bunch of episodes? That's nuts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Holy shit, what the hell. Was it not popular? It was a great series, shit it still is. The dub was great too, I don't get people's taste in stuff.

Holy shit, what the hell. Was it not popular? It was a great series, shit it still is. The dub was great too, I don't get people's taste in stuff.

It was pretty popular early on, both when it was airing on AS and on the weekday version of Toonami. I think the move to airing one episode a week, as well as the long gap before they started airing the Dark Tournament finals really hurt it, and the ratings never quite recovered after that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Yeah, SIGN was midnight. I clearly remember staying up for that.

Twilight was I wanna say...1am or 2am? Only was able to stay up for it a couple times, but it wasn't really worth it. Not like SIGN was. (Honestly, the only good part was the Silver Knight cameo.)

And Roots was like 5am. I had watched the subbed series, but then woke up for some reason a year later and saw Roots was on and was like, "Wha-?" cause I was groggy as hell. All I remember is the English voices were pretty terrible.

The more I learn about the history of Toonami and Cartoon Network I realize it has to be the most mishandled thing CN ever had.

Also guys I have a dilemma, I'm going on 4 hours of sleep and I want to get some food and soda to get a high and get though the 12-2 block. I can order delivery a get a pizza + 2 liter or head out to taco bell for the 5 dollar beefy crunch burrito box and a drink. On the one hand I don't have to get off my ass or waste gas getting food and I'll have more soda, but it'll cost me 3x as much for delivery. Thoughts?

Well, it's better than the absolute horseshit that is Naruto or Bleach, but it still takes waaaaaay tooooooooo longgggggggggggggg

the only time i've been bothered is Skypiea. they've been fighting this fat bastard for four episodes.

also, i remember the first dot Hack game actually being really cool. i should go out and buy that again.

Moaradin

I don't remember any major fights in One Piece lasting more than 1-2 episodes. The pacing has been surprisingly decent considering how long the show is.

789shadow

Banned
I don't remember any major fights in One Piece lasting more than 1-2 episodes. The pacing has been surprisingly decent considering how long the show is.
Dude, starting in Water Seven, the fights can continue across, like, 10 episodes, even if there's other stuff going on.

BatDan

the only time i've been bothered is Skypiea. they've been fighting this fat bastard for four episodes.

also, i remember the first dot Hack game actually being really cool. i should go out and buy that again.

You're better off with used copies, the series is really damn expensive new. Hell, Part 4 is expensive used. The drawback of niche games...

Hear that Microsoft? A reason to get used games!

Moaradin

Dude, starting in Water Seven, the fights can continue across, like, 10 episodes, even if there's other stuff going on.

Well I've only seen up to where Toonami is, so I don't know what happens later. I don't really have a problem with longer fights, as long as there isn't obvious filler. None of the characters in One Piece strike me as someone who will sit and talk for 20 minutes during a fight. Luffy just likes to punch people.

BatDan

Well I've only seen up to where Toonami is, so I don't know what happens later. I don't really have a problem with longer fights, as long as there isn't obvious filler. None of the characters in One Piece strike me as someone who will sit and talk for 20 minutes during a fight. Luffy just likes to punch people.

Correct. Luffy never listens to villain monologues. Or if there's talking, they're fighting while doing it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SIGNs original timeslot was 2pm on Saturdays, eventually got moved to primetime on Saturday with that not toonami toonami block.

Legend of the Twilight Bracelet aired late on Fridays. Gonna say 10-11pm and I think it had one run at the beginning of AS.

Roots and YYH ran in the Saturday morning death slot at 6-7 am Saturday morning. All times eastern just in case we're all secretly talking about the same times in different time zones. I used to wake up only to fall asleep watching ROOTS which is boring as fuck while YYH was great.

Jintor

Well, something's always happening, that's true enough. It's just that there's a lot of it and not all of it is super important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom