• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Clone Wars was mildly interesting to me during it's original run; I'd never wake up to see it's morning premieres, or schedule to watch it's late night run, but generally, when I caught an episode, I liked what I saw.

It has that hint of an edge that always defined what made CN / Toonami seem cooler than the pre-Avatar Nick stuff; it starts to meet the DC shows in this regard, if not outright getting darker due to the fact that Clones (and even some Jedi/Sith) start dropping left and right. You actually start to feel there's real danger in the show. It's kinda like Casshern Sins in that regard; you get the idea that no one is really safe, and you know they're going to be playing with your heartstrings sometimes.

I still feel like it's "Toonami, plus some Star Wars", rather than a full part of Toonami though... don't know why. Is it because it's CG? Hmmm...

I also dislike the CG look, I can't think of a single show where that is an attractive art style.

Majestic Prince has some pretty sexy CG mech fighting scenes but that's about it.

OgeOfH.gif

tumblr_mkrf3xkHsJ1s0ivo4o1_500.gif

tumblr_mkre9cbUu91s0ivo4o1_500.gif

Clone Wars was mildly interesting to me during it's original run; I'd never wake up to see it's morning premieres, or schedule to watch it's late night run, but generally, when I caught an episode, I liked what I saw.

It has that hint of an edge that always defined what made CN / Toonami seem cooler than the pre-Avatar Nick stuff; it starts to meet the DC shows in this regard, if not outright getting darker due to the fact that Clones (and even some Jedi/Sith) start dropping left and right. You actually start to feel there's real danger in the show. It's kinda like Casshern Sins in that regard; you get the idea that no one is really safe, and you know they're going to be playing with your heartstrings sometimes.

I still feel like it's "Toonami, plus some Star Wars", rather than a full part of Toonami though... don't know why. Is it because it's CG? Hmmm...
It probably is the CG. As much as we disliked Thundercats and Tenchi Muyo, they always did feel like they were part of Toonami.

I've considered starting Majestic Prince...might have to get around to it after DRRR

Just be warned it starts slow with a lot of bad humor and fail mech piloting. Once it gets going though it mostly is just awesome mech battles and.

It probably is the CG. As much as we disliked Thundercats and Tenchi Muyo, they always did feel like they were part of Toonami.

Wasn't Reboot on Toonami at one point?

Just be warned it starts slow with a lot of bad humor and fail mech piloting. Once it gets going though it mostly is just awesome mech battles and.

Wasn't Reboot on Toonami at one point?

Wikipedia just says regular CN. My friend has just informed me that it was on Toonami. I didn't have cable back then.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wikipedia just says regular CN. My friend has just informed me that it was on Toonami. I didn't have cable back then.

Final Toonami Moltar/First Toonami TOM1 lineup

4:00 PM - Sailor Moon
4:30 PM - ReBoot
5:00 PM - Dragon Ball Z
5:30 PM - The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

This schedule lasted from March 15 - September 24, 1999.

It was pretty much continuously for a full year, and then kind of off and on for a while after that.

It was pretty much continuously for a full year, and then kind of off and on for a while after that.

Always turned that crap Johnny Quest off when it came on, that was truly a show that didn't belong on Toonami

Crocodile

Always turned that crap Johnny Quest off when it came on, that was truly a show that didn't belong on Toonami

It's been forever since I've seen an episode of that show but I remember loving it. I can even remember the theme song :) That cripple guy they accidentally turned into a super villian was kind of annoying character though >_<

What didn't you like about it? Seemed like a perfectly serviceable action cartoon.

JCG

Aren't the Evas CG in the rebuild movies? I think they look great.

I'd say it's also a particularly good match for the Angels, since they're essentially alien beings and all.

Still have to see how the new Code Geass CG looks.

It's by the same 3DCG studio working on Majestic Prince. I think it looks nice, especially if you have access to BD quality footage.

It's been forever since I've seen an episode of that show but I remember loving it. I can even remember the theme song :) That cripple guy they accidentally turned into a super villian was kind of annoying character though >_<

What didn't you like about it? Seemed like a perfectly serviceable action cartoon.

I hated the way it looked, I found the action boring especially compared to all the shows that came before it on the block, and none of my friends watched it the way they watched Sailor Moon, Reboot, and DBZ

I said I had no cable, Meta. For a long time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah I think it's a large part of it. It think it also has to do with it just feeling like (as a CN original) it SHOULD be able to push to "Toonami boundaries" rather than normal CN, but it's just... not.

Thundercats never really aspired to be "edgy", but it's look and style fit pretty well alongside the rest of the block. Sym Titan might had had a jarringly different style, but it's content always felt like it was Toonami from the Get-go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0N_nhjDN_g

Reboot is one of the first shows I remember being on Toonami

I thought of this too, and I guess the fact that all Toonami was a mesh of shows I'd seen on other networks made Reboot feel oddly fitting (that, and the fact Tom was CG too kinda helped?)

I loved ReBoot, too, while I just kinda... like Star Wars TCW.

tumblr_m5ltafqxj41r239fno1_400.gif

tumblr_lq3jstnlcc1qgerrno1_r1_400.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

That's the schedule I remember most. I usually tuned my attention out during Johnny Quest cause that meant it was almost dinnertime.

You guys are crazy. SAO is the best damn show to grace television in a long time. What other show brings people together so closely with feelings of rage and joy? What other work of art inspires the types of reactions you get from watching SAO? None, nada. Learn to revel in the greatness that is SAO.

SAO: Where Dreams
Beaters
Come True
Go to Die

I said I had no cable, Meta. For a long time.
I missed Reboot and Sailor Moon on Toonami because I didn't have cable too. :(
You guys are crazy. SAO is the best damn show to grace television in a long time. What other show brings people together so closely with feelings of rage and joy? What other work of art inspires the types of reactions you get from watching SAO? None, nada. Learn to revel in the greatness that is SAO.

SAO: Where Dreams
Beaters
Come True
Go to Die
I refuse to give my life to the church of SAO.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel mixed I would love to see everyone's reactions to blood lad because it's so good, but with only 10 episodes and no sign of s2 for awhile :/

its a bit more than 10 episodes and yeah, I was confused why it would only be that much until I found out that its pretty close to the manga which I hate that they start animes of mangas that arent anywhere near enough material to go into production over. Yeah I would love to see everyone's reaction to it aswell lol

its a bit more than 10 episodes and yeah, I was confused why it would only be that much until I found out that its pretty close to the manga which I hate that they start animes of mangas that arent anywhere near enough material to go into production over. Yeah I would love to see everyone's reaction to it aswell lol

I mean attack on Titan has about the same amount of chapters out as blood lad. Titan went at a snails pace and is going to cover 33 chapters or 8 volumes in 25 episodes. Blood lad by comparison covered 26 chapters or about 6 volumes in 10 episodes. They could have easily stretched things out and made this a 25 episode season that would have ended around the same point. That's the price you pay for excellent pacing of an ongoing series

foxuzamaki

I mean attack on Titan has about the same amount of chapters out as blood lad. Titan went at a snails pace and is going to cover 33 chapters or 8 volumes in 25 episodes. Blood lad by comparison covered 26 chapters or about 6 volumes in 10 episodes. They could have easily stretched things out and made this a 25 episode season that would have ended around the same point. That's the price you pay for excellent pacing of an ongoing series

is blood lad a monthly manga, because I'm even against AoT starting so early(even though its the 1st episode that got me into the manga) because there just isnt enough source material and because its monthly means it will take years before a decent amount of source material can be used for a second season, and they know we wouldnt want a 12 episode season.

is blood lad a monthly manga, because I'm even against AoT starting so early(even though its the 1st episode that got me into the manga) because there just isnt enough source material and because its monthly means it will take years before a decent amount of source material can be used for a second season, and they know we wouldnt want a 12 episode season.

Blood lad is monthly and both AoT and BL started in 2009

foxuzamaki

Blood lad is monthly and both AoT and BL started in 2009

knew they both started in 2009, then their both screwed, AoT's popularity isnt going to reach its height again, and blood lad might fall so under the radar it may never get another season.

knew they both started in 2009, then their both screwed, AoT's popularity isnt going to reach its height again, and blood lad might fall so under the radar it may never get another season.

Attack on Titan season 2 is a matter of when not if IMO. Maybe we will get lucky and see attack on Titan brotherhood someday in the future when the manga gets close to finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom