• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also last nights Clone Wars was the best so far, it's not perfect by any stretch but I think it's worth checking out. It has some decent banter between Obi Wan and Anakin and is pretty action packed the whole way though.

As Clone Wars went on, most people who stuck with it said that it improved quite a bit in late Season 2 and onward; the stuff with Obi-Wan was supposedly still the highlight of the show, they just kept putting the spotlight on him and paring out some of the sight gags. I kind of want to see how well the show does if they ever burn through Seasons 1+2 (I don't care for it, but I'm too lazy to hate it) - seeing as how part of the show's novelty was "wow, this is pretty dour for a kid's show/prime-time animated series", I wonder how well a late-night audience would cotton to its sweetmeats.

It's been forever since I've seen an episode of that show but I remember loving it. I can even remember the theme song :) That cripple guy they accidentally turned into a super villian was kind of annoying character though >_<

What didn't you like about it? Seemed like a perfectly serviceable action cartoon.

Not that guy, but I wasn't a big fan of Ezekiel Rage, and the Book of Rage. Even as a kid, I was never fond of the Book of Rage. I was always annoyed by the heavy-handed payoff of the first appearance of the Book of Rage. And I always hated the way that Rage would prattle on, and then end his scenes with "[blah blah blah] the Book of Rage."

Also, they used to play Rage's episodes a lot on afternoons, and Rage's Burning Wheel was a dumb episode.

That's the one positive about seeing kick heart, it made real adventures not the worst show I've ever seen on toonami because at least real adventure had finished looking animation

You say that about the one show that was propped up on early Toonami - the ONE SHOW - that actually had unfinished and rushed animations?

that's hateful

At least, I think that was the only one; did CN ever put serious effort into advertising Robotech back then? I was so little then, I forget.

Can ToonamiGAF handle all that merging?

I hope our bodies could take it.

I remember reading somewhere that Aquarion is a modern production with the cohesiveness and gravitas of the average '90s OVA. I got so much more out of it with that mentality. If Toonami wanted more filler, they could do worse.

The only danger would be that y'all would probably split into camps based on which OP is better, seeing as how those are the best parts of the show, only to become depressed at how they'd be shortened when it actually aired.

I'm on Team Go Tight.

Based on post history it looks like he was harassing wonzo in the anime thread. That was from a week ago.

I thought permabans got rid of your avatar?

I thought that was rumor? There are users who've been banned for years who still have an avatar and those who've been banned a few days and don't have them. I think it might have to do with how you uploaded your avatar to GAF.

Raxus

BTW Akira apparently predicted Tokyo would get the 2020 Olympics.

Hope none of your friends are named Tetsuo GAF.

I thought that was rumor? There are users who've been banned for years who still have an avatar and those who've been banned a few days and don't have them. I think it might have to do with how you uploaded your avatar to GAF.
Probably. Unless you dig into a person's post history it is hard to tell if the committed a permaban offense or a temp ban. I still don't know how harsh mods are with temp bans. I assume Assault is going to be gone at least 3 weeks after that incident.

Tenumi

Banned
Ah, ReBoot... probably one of my favorite shows. Period.

I've got the DVD set sitting over on my Bookcase right now, even. I should watch it again sometime...

Jintor

BTW Akira apparently predicted Tokyo would get the 2020 Olympics.

Hope none of your friends are named Tetsuo GAF.

8677832281_63d6bf92fb_b.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This whole thing with Oreimo exposes the dark truth of Heterosexual relationships - that they need a secondary crux for even a dude to even touch a woman in the modern age.

The whole gig was a "fetish", but back then (and still in other places) - the woman was given to man on a platter, or drunk forced into relations. Ever since the concept of respecting women as human beings came to the front - not in the Chivalric way of keeping the "fetish" alive, but in to giving women a chance to find there own way in life, these issues have popped up in ways in both the east and the west that have created this addictions and concepts as away to cope with the reality of the situation.

So you have the whole edifice coming down. Women's movement in both west and east (with a bit of free market machinations) has shown that the whole gig of heterosexual courtship is a illusion, and what shows like KNJ, Oreimo and the like say is that none of our concepts of law, religion, etc can solve these issues because the very basis of this is the self hatred of man towards himself and by extension, everybody around him. Man is the king of nothing and needs the illusions (even if they were created by media, social structures of how men relate to one another and so on) in order to live.

This is the reason why I see shows like Oreimo as the symptom of a larger issue and not nessaerly the cause. Basically, man could never be with women or even have sex with one unless given one, the woman being submissive to the man, or if Zizek is correct - man becoming apart of a nightmare where his desire is realized. The only reason we even are with females in the first place is that its acceptable by social rule and not by need. Anybody can have kids, but that doesn't even mean the two that brought the child in the world even really wanted to be with each other.

So, to even have sex anymore - man needs the fetish. That's were all the dark shit comes from. That's the true lesson of Oreimo, KNJ etc.

NIaUAdb.png

Ok, that's definitely the best. I get pumped whenever I hear it.

This one also hits my feelspot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbQff6TBZGo

IGPX: Best episode in the series so far, hands down. Takashi gets his heart broken paving the way for him to be with the superior woman and the actual race had me on the edge of my seat. I felt like there was a good mix of character development and action here, IGPX has been great since the middle of season 1 in my opinion.

i can't get into any of the episodes that focus on Takeshi and Fantine's relationship; it's so forced and awkward. probably wouldn't even put this in the top 5 episodes of the show, personally.

BassForever said:
I mean attack on Titan has about the same amount of chapters out as blood lad. Titan went at a snails pace and is going to cover 33 chapters or 8 volumes in 25 episodes. Blood lad by comparison covered 26 chapters or about 6 volumes in 10 episodes. They could have easily stretched things out and made this a 25 episode season that would have ended around the same point. That's the price you pay for excellent pacing of an ongoing series

when people say the pacing in Attack on Titan is bad, i'm not really sure how i'm supposed to take that. i mean, we're people who put up with Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. with that in mind, is the pacing really that bad?

Crocodile

I'm hoping Novid has a good and loving family and friend network to support him. I've wanted to REALLY tell him off in the past but GAF had some
suicide scares
recently and he was giving me some bad vibes. I didn't want to contribute to the potential creation of a "scary" and heartbreaking thread X months down the line if you get my drift.
On the other hand if it was all a big troll then he got me good. Congrats to him.

when people say the pacing in Attack on Titan is bad, i'm not really sure how i'm supposed to take that. i mean, we're people who put up with Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. with that in mind, is the pacing really that bad?

If you can handle Bleach, Naruto and One Piece pacing then Attack on Titan pacing is fine. The problem was that the first 8 or so episodes of the anime were pretty well paced but then it slowed down a BUNCH. A lot of people, lapsed anime fans especially, who were fans of the quick pacing got turned off when it became more "shonen-esque" later in the show. The obvious production problems the show was/is having didn't help matters either.

I can't get over that Novid rant LOL it's too good

1:1 pacing makes a lot more sense in a monthly adaption like AoT because you get 35-40 chapters which is usually enough content to fill a 20 minute anime episode. The only time AoT has bad pacing is when they took half a chapter and made it into an episode. AoT's bigger problem is the sometimes skimped budget where you get lots of still shots that characters talk over. They never skimp on the action sequences though so it balances out.

Raxus

1:1 pacing makes a lot more sense in a monthly adaption like AoT because you get 35-40 chapters which is usually enough content to fill a 20 minute anime episode. The only time AoT has bad pacing is when they took half a chapter and made it into an episode. AoT's bigger problem is the sometimes skimped budget where you get lots of still shots that characters talk over. They never skimp on the action sequences though so it balances out.

Yep. Was it the
trial
they split in half? That was where the pacing 'sagged' for me before it picked right up again I really need to read the new chapter...

Yep. Was it the
trial
they split in half? That was where the pacing 'sagged' for me before it picked right up again I really need to read the new chapter...

No it was the
Are you human or are you a Titan
shenanigans that they dragged out. The
trail
was 1 chapter in the manga 1 episode in the anime.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The pacing is so inconsistent in that show. It got really slow shortly after the Trost arc as well.

The second half of the Trost arc in AoT was pretty abominable. Thankfully it improved after that.

I'm actualy not familiar with the arc names for AoT, but the scheduling has been kicking the animator's asses, they probably find every scene where they're just talking a godsend

Considering the large amount of people who are enjoying attack on Titan weekly despite not watching a lot of anime toonami gaf will be fine with the shows pacing.

Branduil

I'm actualy not familiar with the arc names for AoT, but the scheduling has been kicking the animator's asses, they probably find every scene where they're just talking a godsend

The good news is, by the time it'd be able to air on Toonami, the blurays with animation fixes could be aired, LOL. Although that still wouldn't fix the pacing.

Crocodile

Why is AoT in a monthly magazine anyways? Seems like it'd be a perfect thing for Weekly Shonen Jump.

Same reason Full Metal Alchemist was a monthly (i.e. that's the format of the magazine it ran in)?

I heard (i.e. rumor) that Jump had first dibs but passed on the series because it was too violent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What Crocodile said, I believe they also had issue with the quality of the artwork. He showed off some of his earliest work and it's borderline hideous.

There was nothing stopping them from just telling him to draw it better, or finding someone that could draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom