• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sango's brother totally for the more useful weapon. Sango's boomerang is easily one of the most unwieldy weapons in manga/anime.

Edit: SANGO YOU STUPID CLOWN!

ckohler

Soul Eaters 2nd OP is just there. Nothing even slightly interesting about the song.

I'll have to disagree with you there. The second opening is such a better opening both in music and direction. The Toonami edit isn't the total abomination I was expecting but it's not that great, either. It seems they just took a bunch of shots and put them in a blender without much consideration with how they fit with the music. At least they didn't leave any cool visuals out but they did cut the best part of the opening and the best part of the song! :(

Also, now that most all of the major characters have been introduced, it's a cool time to clean our pallets of these bad edits and share with you guys the alternate openings that only aired in Japan when they re-aired the series on TV (called the Repeat airings). I found these on YouTube:

Soul Eater: Repeat Show Opening 1 HD [Creditless]

Soul Eater: Repeat Show Opening 2 HD [Creditless] <- My favorite!

And here are the two repeat endings. Like the openings, they showed these in place of the originals. Both are rather melancholy:

Soul Eater: Repeat Show Ending 1 HD [Creditless]

Soul Eater: Repeat Show Ending 2 HD [Creditless]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
heh, isn't this one of the few they're actually translating?

Well, yes and no.

A bunch of good ones like Unlimited Cruise 1 and 2 made it to Europe. Very few in the funimation era made it to the US though.

Some of the 4kids GCN games did pretty well and most of them are slightly above average.

Please tell me this character doesn't return in the future

grinch-smile-o.gif

Tenumi

Banned
So how many weeks is it until the next canon arc of One Piece? I was reading the manga until it debuted on Toonami. Figure I'd continue that, quickest way to catch up.

So a week or two to down 200 chapters... I think I can do that (Got to chapter 100 already)

Specifically the end of chapter 318 in the manga will line up with the ending of next weeks anime episode. So you really have til the 12th to get to that chapter and you'll be good

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda dig Toriko myself but its clear that even in Japan they've been trying to shove it down people's throats and it just isn't crazy popular, only regular popular.
Toriko is pretty damn popular in Japan. It's one of the "Big Three" in manga form, and it draws really good ratings on TV (being paired with One Piece obviously helps here).

It's not like a cultural phenomenon like One Piece or Dragon Ball, but it is one of the top series today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Toriko is pretty damn popular in Japan. It's one of the "Big Three" in manga form, and it draws really good ratings on TV (being paired with One Piece obviously helps here).

It's not like a cultural phenomenon like One Piece or Dragon Ball, but it is one of the top series today.

They make it out like it is OP or Dragon Ball though and have since near the beginning and it shows.

As long as Naruto and Bleach are still running I don't think Toriko will receive the attention it deserves. Once those end in Japan and Toriko gets on Toonami in the US I think it will become as big a name as OP/Naruto/Bleach/DBZ/FT etc

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I unfortunately didn't like any of Soul Eater's new openings or endings for the repeat shows. Something about them didn't feel right to me.

And holy shit at Cowboy Bebop.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Err, yeah, it's a 26 episode show that's been in rotation on and off for 12 years, even shown more than once a night.

Still the best anime ever. I'll gladly watch any episode again. I've seen Waltz for Venus maybe a 100 times and it still gets me to mist up.

As long as Naruto and Bleach are still running I don't think Toriko will receive the attention it deserves. Once those end in Japan and Toriko gets on Toonami in the US I think it will become as big a name as OP/Naruto/Bleach/DBZ/FT etc

I thought bleach's anime run in japan has been halted. Same for Fairy Tail.

Edit: Just realized I'm a member now :D

I thought bleach's anime run in japan has been halted. Same for Fairy Tail.

Edit: Just realized I'm a member now :D

Bleach's manga is still on going though, same with Fairy Tail and it's obvious both anime will return at some point down the line. Toriko for the amount of crazy pushing it gets really isn't as big as it could be or as Jump wants it to be. Jump's newer series like Assassination Classroom and Shokugeki no Soma already seemed to have passed Toriko on the sales/popularity chart.

Next time it shows up it'll be in glorious High Definition!

Also did anyone recap the QA? What happened?

The highlights of the Q&A

-FLCL will only air once and something new will start in November please stay tuned
-The contract they had with Bandai expired for Bebop so they'll have to acquire a new one from Funimation which they would like to do
-DBZ, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Naruto Shippuden, and Toriko are the top 5 request anime for the block by fans
-Toonami is an action block though they would consider putting on a "great show with little action", in a later question they specificed Stein's Gate as a "great show' which has lead some people to speculate Toonami would acquire it
-They would love to get more western cartoons but the western action cartoon market is dead and Cartoon Network/Boomerang won't let them have their action shows specifically Samurai Jack was mentioned (as it's on Boomerang)
-Webcomic is still coming... slowly
-They plan to have more small indy anime like Kickheart in the future
-Movie night is in the works for this fall/winter

Next time it shows up it'll be in glorious High Definition!

Also did anyone recap the QA? What happened?

FLCL is confirmed for a single run, Cowboy Bebop's rights actually expired, FLCL will get a promo, they're not against OVAs or hour-long shows, the Toonami comic is done being written and just needs to be illustrated now. most requested shows are Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, DBZ, Shippuden, and Toriko. Ghost in the Shell will start at episode 1, unsure about another Brotherhood run, current ratings are nothing to worry about since they typically see a drop for back-to-school.

not very eventful.

Seda

Oh, didn't see that FLCL is only getting a single airing. I find that a little surprising actually.

Wonder what they'll replace it with. Is there anything else in the ASA catalog that they may have access to that they havent shown yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom