• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Give me the low-down on Devil Fruit types. This dude started spouting off about Zone types and I didn't catch any of that

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Give me the low-down on Devil Fruit types. This dude started spouting off about Zone types and I didn't catch any of that

Zoan types are animal transformations.

Superhumans have weird powers (like Luffy or Buggy).

Logia are elementals.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

There's three types of Devil Fruits.

Zoan: These allow the user to transform into an animal or in Chopper's case, an animal into a human. Canon examples include Dalton (Ox Ox Fruit: Bison Model), Pell (Bird Bird Fruit: Falcon Model), Miss Merry Christmas (Mole Mole Fruit), and of course Chopper (Human Human Fruit)

Logia: The rarest type of Devil Fruit. These allow the user to become the element, making them immune to most physical damage. Canon examples include Smoker (Plume Plume Fruit), Crocodile (Sand Sand Fruit), Ace (Flame Flame Fruit) and Eneru (Rumble Rumble Fruit)

Paramecia: The most common type. This basically applies to any fruit that isn't the above two. Luffy and Robin are Paramecia types (Gum Gum Fruit and Flower Flower Fruit).

Cool.

Is this all supplemental material or was any of it actually explained at any point

It will be explained during the plot I think during Skypiea

Oh ho ho ho ho ho. Ooooh that's horrible
but hilarious

Oh snaps!

Iregretnothing.gif

I always liked that some of the stupidest powers turn out to be among the most powerful.

Wapol's isn't one of them, though.

To be fair Wapol is the hardest boss in One Piece Musou so someone did his power justice

That was probably the point. Make Wapol incredibly irritating --> more satisfaction when Luffy beats him senseless.

but see, i also found that pretty unsatisfying. the buildup didn't seem to be there like it was when Luffy beat the shit out of Bellamy (WHICH WAS AWESOME). i think the whole Drum Island arc just takes a dive once Wapol shows up.

789shadow

Banned
but see, i also found that pretty unsatisfying. the buildup didn't seem to be there like it was when Luffy beat the shit out of Bellamy (WHICH WAS AWESOME). i think the whole Drum Island arc just takes a dive once Wapol shows up.
So. Fucking. Good.

Seda

True. Not even a contest there as to which victory was more satisfying.

It's really more an arc to introduce Chopper, beating Wapol and the stuff around the flag was more about helping him find the strength to leave with the Strawhats

It's really more an arc to introduce Chopper, beating Wapol and the stuff around the flag was more about helping him find the strength to leave with the Strawhats

well, yeah, and when it's doing that it's fine, but when it tries to be about the villain i just don't think it achieves the same level of quality.

well, yeah, and when it's doing that it's fine, but when it tries to be about the villain i just don't think it achieves the same level of quality.

Yeah it doesn't help that it's the only villain/island during the Baroque Works Saga that has nothing to do Baroque Works. Drum Island could have been anywhere in the plot

Damn, Funimation needs to fix their site. >_>

Got Elite Video and I have to rip things because the site is so damn slow.

But it's useful for fake Toonami bumpers :3

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Drum was pretty amazing for its time, but I can totally see how it loses its shine if you already know a lot about One Piece's later arcs. Drum introduced so much world building material that is now just taken as fact: Zoans, Will of D, World Government, Reverie/ World Council, Dragon, Ace, Blackbeard, Chopper, etc. The arc was filled with amazing revelations and the beginning of various plot threads. Plus, while Wapol sucked as a villain compared to the post-Alabasta villains, he fit right in with the East Blue bosses that came before him.

It was the first arc where you realized that Arlong Park wasn't just a one hit wonder and the first glimpse you get to how vast the One Piece world was.

santeesioux

One Piece on Hulu is weird. There's basically a rolling block of a number of dubbed episodes taken down at any given time. Lord only knows why.

(Gotta post in this new thread sometime!)

Funimation stuff on Hulu is weird in general, a lot of the dubbed shows only seem to have several episodes actually dubbed with the rest of the episodes only being subbed.I guess it's to get people to buy the dvds?

Drum was pretty amazing for its time, but I can totally see how it loses its shine if you already know a lot about One Piece's later arcs. Drum introduced so much world building material that is now just taken as fact: Zoans, Will of D, World Government, Reverie/ World Council, Dragon, Ace, Blackbeard, Chopper, etc. The arc was filled with amazing revelations and the beginning of various plot threads. Plus, while Wapol sucked as a villain compared to the post-Alabasta villains, he fit right in with the East Blue bosses that came before him.

It was the first arc where you realized that Arlong Park wasn't just a one hit wonder and the first glimpse you get to how vast the One Piece world was.

eh. if i had to point to one that did that for me, i'd go with Jaya personally.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It also has the series second really dramatic and gut wrenching moment.

Also it is the arc that explains the different devil fruit types and a ton of the other stuff.

Also about Walpol not being a good villain; I completely disagree. He is so hated as a monarch that when a real villain comes and despoils the place the people cheer and their lives improve.

InuYasha 1

I watched the first few episodes sub awhile ago, dub does a decent enough job with the characters. The fight at the end was fun looking forward to seeing more.

speaking of InuYasha, i caught up on the two episodes from last week. the first one was pretty standard Storming Naraku's Castle stuff, though the addition of Sesshomaru did manage to mix it up at least a little.

i really liked the second; i'm a sucker for InuYasha running around modern day Japan, and in this one he became a baseball cap-wearing vigilante on his way to deliver Kagome's lunch. the awesome is palpable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
speaking of InuYasha, i caught up on the two episodes from last week. the first one was pretty standard Storming Naraku's Castle stuff, though the addition of Sesshomaru did manage to mix it up at least a little.

i really liked the second; i'm a sucker for InuYasha running around modern day Japan, and in this one he became a baseball cap-wearing vigilante on his way to deliver Kagome's lunch. the awesome is palpable.

Inuyasha was always best when he was visiting modern times.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
oh no, it has to be when
he was gonna fuck up Hojo during the school play

Oh yea, that one was good too. But the
bike one had him almost shoot down an airplane trying to make diamonds from his sword's beam
. He just kept making things worse, though that's par for the course whenever he visits modern day.

haha, true. unless my memory fails me,
i feel like they missed an opportunity for a movie or something where everybody goes to fight something in modern day Japan.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
haha, true. unless my memory fails me,
i feel like they missed an opportunity for a movie or something where everybody goes to fight something in modern day Japan.

They probably did, I should check if they did that. I'd have been pretty obvious to do.

EDIT: THEY DIDN'T! THE FOOLS!

They probably did, I should check if they did that. I'd have been pretty obvious to do.

EDIT: THEY DIDN'T! THE FOOLS!

url

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oddly enough, this Saturday was the first time I've seen Inuyasha and literally nothing else on the block. I usually skip the last hour if I'm still up to get some writing done. But Saturday I got back from the bar late, buddies passed out so I just sat and watched what was left of Toonami. MAN, do they speed up those credits or what. That's gotta be almost double speed, it was freaking me out.

Actually seemed like a decent enough show. I've never seen an entire episode of it before. For whatever reason I actively avoided it all these years. Probably has something to do with the small percentage of the Inuyasha fan base I've had personal dealings with, it might have soured me on the show by proxy. Haha

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Me neither, I've seen all of both animes.

Checking out the manga for the first time recently.

yeah i cant say what it is, but i dont mind watching inyuasha start to finish over and over again, obviously not all in a single sitting or whatever, but its something i would like to watch, its probably the same as the fresh prince of bel air or the cosby show that has been rerunning for like 20 years, you dont mind watching it at all even when it comes on quite frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom