• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

It's almost like people from disparate cultures and different continents have different tastes in entertainment media. Who knew? :p

And yet they eat stuff like SAO up. smh, japan.

To be SLIGHTLY fair, "we" eat up shit like Twilight and stuff like the Cleveland Show runs circles around even the creme de la creme of anime in ratings.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, every country/culture has stuff that is somehow popular despite others thinking that it's not good. I mean, look at freakin' Jersey Shore....uuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is an internet misconception according to people more in the know (than me) over at animegaf.

Not sure what they are saying but Cowboy Bebop had tremendous problems during its first and second runs which did hamper the title. Hmm, more data is needed before a definitive statement can be made.

bigkrev

Yeah, every country/culture has stuff that is somehow popular despite others not being good. I mean, look at freakin' Jersey Shore....uuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

If you are dissing Jersey Shore, we are going to be fighting. Season 1 is one of the most brilliant seasons of a TV show ever.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you are dissing Jersey Shore, we are going to be fighting. Season 1 is one of the most brilliant seasons of a TV show ever.
To each their own. I grew out of reality TV-like programs long ago, so shows like that are not something to my interests. & this is coming from someone who watched a lot of seasons of Survivor & Amazing Race as a kid.

I think people try too hard to be angry at SAO.

No it's not well written. Yes it can be actively insulting to the viewing audience (at times, not throughout) but it's really not that bad and I'd never call it boring.

Sometimes I twist and turn in bed at night, trying to figure out what kind of genre SAO falls under in-show. Is it a social, action, or sim RPG? Or some bastardization of the three? Is it real-time or turn based? If the devs intended to have marriage and sex involved, did they intend to release spreadsheet programs and peripherals at some point down the line? Is it a motion-sensing game, or are simple mouse clicks or gestures enough? And if it's the latter, then why the heck are the boss battles so elaborate? And why the hell is there so much dummy data left in the game for powerful or alternate skills? I know the author didn't know anything about MMOs when he wrote the novels, but these questions haunt me all the same, and the MST3K mantra cannot provide me with comfort.

Other than all that, I'm inclined to agree with you, although the show's cliffhangers are just awful.

Cwarrior

So the more noteworthy info out of this was:

- SAO & Soul Eater will indeed get replaced with new shows
- FLCL will re-air again after the 6th episode airs.
- Studio Ghibli films most likely won't be part of the Dec. movies, as the rights are very hard to obtain at the moment
- 11:30 slot might stay depending on how well Space Dandy does, which negotiations started about 10 months ago
- TV Q&A was received univerally positive, even to the point in resulting in more followers
- Small budget increase
- Top requested shows (in order) are Attack on Titan, DBZ, Fairy Tail, Toriko, and Kill la Kill
- Speaking of Kill la Kill, should it actually air, it would most likely get censored
- Toonami Jetstream most likely not coming back
- They don't have the rights to the Clone Wars micro series anymore by Gennedy
- Cowboy Bebop might come back, but they gotta work the rights out again
- 3 AM to 6 AM is basically the block for the more cheaper shows they can afford

-why are they going to try to get cowboy bebop back, have they not played it enough.
Why doesn't anyone ask for hunter x hunter,hajime no ippo or claymore (surprisingly all three animated by madhouse).

If I had pick one of the four requested shows (Titan,DBZ,fairy tail, toriko) I would chose toriko it's a great action adventure anime and anime/toonami/fans are in some desperate need of some true manly-ness it's gotten to a sad point fans don't even know what manly is any more which often results in emo-ness being mistaken for manly-ness.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We have the annoying orange on TV. Japan wins.

We also had a Fred TV show. ... Yeah.
To be fair, I'm sure there's plenty of terrible Japanese TV shows. We don't see them because they stay in Japan.

-why are they going to try to get cowboy bebop back, have they not played it enough.
Why doesn't anyone ask for hunter x hunter,hajime no ippo or claymore (surprisingly all three animated by madhouse).

If I had pick one of the four requested shows (Titan,DBZ,fairy tail, toriko) I would chose toriko it's a great action adventure anime and anime/toonami/fans are in some desperate need of some true manly-ness it's gotten to a sad point fans don't even know what manly is any more which often results in emo-ness being mistaken for manly-ness.

Casual fans don't know those series. Even though Ippo has been around since 1989.
The problem with Toriko is that the anime is severely toned down compared to the original manga. It looks like a certain company with "4" in the name took their scalpel to it, but no, Toei intended for the series to look that way.

Seda

SAO bores me and is more eyeroll-worthy
e5YuU.gif
the last few episodes - not as insultingly bad like christmas girl or loli girl episodes. I still don't enjoy it, regardless..

i think Reindeer Chick is the only episode i'd label as blatantly terrible. the rest is only sorta bad to mediocre. the two before this one came pretty close to terrible, however.

Seda

i think Reindeer Chick is the only episode i'd label as blatantly terrible. the rest is only sorta bad to mediocre. the two before this one came pretty close to terrible, however.

I actually was talking to my brother last week basically saying: "Am I just getting caught-up in the Sword Art Online negativity or do I genuinely think it's terrible on its own?" We discussed the whole existence of Yui, why she exists, what she 'added' to the show, and if she was at all a sympathetic 'character'.

Uh, basically we agreed that the whole thing was really quite stupid and I don't think watching it alone I would feel much differently about it.

Honestly it's not really an expansion unless another show succeeds dandy at 11:30, currently it seems like they're borrowing the spot

Of course I would like the 11:30 slot to be a permanent thing, but even if it's only for Space Dandy I still think it's pretty darn cool.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh course Miyazaki films aren't a part of the movie nights. Those rights are a mess between Disney and GKIDS. Plus they're probably the most expensive anime movie rights to get.

I would be surprised if the movies weren't all Funimation films.

Also, Kill La Kill is now in the Top 5 most wanted? What did it replace? And why is HunterxHunter still not there :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh course Miyazaki films aren't a part of the movie nights. Those rights are a mess between Disney and GKIDS. Plus they're probably the most expensive anime movie rights to get.

I would be surprised if the movies weren't all Funimation films.

Also, Kill La Kill is now in the Top 5 most wanted? What did it replace? And why is HunterxHunter still not there :/
I remember they said SAO was in the top 5 (I think #1 above AoT, amazingly). I'm not sure what exactly 6 through 10 was, so not sure on what exactly Kill la Kill "replaced".

grandjedi6

I remember they said SAO was in the top 5 (I think #1 above AoT, amazingly). I'm not sure what exactly 6 through 10 was, so not sure on what exactly Kill la Kill "replaced".
I looked it up. Back in September the top 5 was:

DBZ, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Naruto Shippuden, and Toriko​

So Kill la Kill > Shippuden apparently
Probably because it isn't even licensed yet and there is no chance for a dub in the near future.
I didn't say it was going to happen. And those reasons don't stop Kill la Kill from being wanted. Or Shippuden and DBZ which are impossible for different reasons.

Anyway, now that Space Dandy is confirmed, Attack on Titan has to be the most likely new show at some point, right? Basically waiting on Funimation to finalize its release plans.

fairy Tail is going to be our Bleach replacement, isn't it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually was talking to my brother last week basically saying: "Am I just getting caught-up in the Sword Art Online negativity or do I genuinely think it's terrible on its own?" We discussed the whole existence of Yui, why she exists, what she 'added' to the show, and if she was at all a sympathetic 'character'.

Uh, basically we agreed that the whole thing was really quite stupid and I don't think watching it alone I would feel much differently about it.

I've been trying to watch SAO from a more academic standpoint, basically trying to find what it does well, why it works, why it's written the way it is, that sort of thing (in addition to a normal watch) and I still think it's really bad. I can't think of anything that has been executed properly so far.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Good Dubbed movies they can easily get the rights to:

Either FMA movie
Four Inuyasha movies
Trigun Badlands Rumble
One Piece Alabasta movie

Bad dubbed movies they can easily get the rights to:

However many Naruto and Bleach movies they dubbed.

This is not a good movie.

LOLDSFAN

- FLCL will re-air again after the 6th episode airs.
Aw man. First IGPX now FLCL (and GitS in a way)? D:
- Cowboy Bebop might come back, but they gotta work the rights out again
Nooooo stahp!!! Let it die already!!! Seriously spend that time and effort working to get rights for shows that haven't aired on Toonami yet.
- SAO & Soul Eater will indeed get replaced with new shows
Thank goodness. Toonami has been getting a little too re-run happy lately. I guess the first 3 hours will be where the parties at for the foreseeable future.

It's been licensed (by funimation most likely) for a good chunk of money apparently. There just hasn't been word on the dub yet.

i'm not sure if i believe this anymore. i think if they had it they'd have said something by now.

grandjedi6 said:
So Kill la Kill > Shippuden apparently

i think people maybe gave up on Shippuden at this point.

MetatronM said:
This is not a good movie.

it really isn't. but it might be in their best interest to show it in like.....four years.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's "good" compared to the naruto and bleach movies.

It's "bad" compared to One Piece movies that aren't the third movie.

i think it's bad in general. it's just a collection of fights and scenes that now have no weight because they've been removed from context; the Luffy/Vivi confrontation comes like five minutes into the movie. everything just feels so rushed.

grandjedi6

i think it's bad in general. it's just a collection of fights and scenes that now have no weight because they've been removed from context; the Luffy/Vivi confrontation comes like five minutes into the movie. everything just feels so rushed.

That's the flaw with every "Episode of ____" movie. The only one to avoid that was Episode of Nami, and that's because the Arlong Park arc is shorter. And even that one had the same speed through beginning (Hi I'm Nami! Oh it's the Buggy fight. Kuro? Hey it's Barati... kthxbye stealin' the ship now).

Thankfully, Toei has made the Episode of movies into tv specials now instead of full featured films.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If we're going to have a One Piece movie, Strong World is the best bet. Especially since it's already been dubbed.
Though I would like Funi to go back and dub Movies 4 and 6. Maybe 7 for a joke movie night (take a shot for every instance of "plot").

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Strong World is second best behind 6 but you'd think they'd want to sell some DVDs by not airing it first. Also it would legit ruin a surprise that's coming in the next 30 episodes of One Piece and one not so surprising thing that happens, well, a long ass time from now.

Cwarrior

Movie 8 is good example on why you shouldn't abridge big 20ep+ manga/anime story arcs into a movie, your forced to cut so much from the story to fit it into movie length that it just becomes a collection scenes missing large portions of the story missing.

Movie 2,4,7,9,strong world, episode of nami and film z are good any of these.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Basically the only good ones were the first Bardock one and the Trunks one and that's entirely because they cover almost completely new ground.

RedBoot

Yeah, I'd love to see Strong World, but it's way too spoilery.

I didn't like the Alabasta movie too much, but I'd be interested in how people who never watched the original episodes would take it. To be honest, it'd be a good way to fill in some of the backstory of OP for the people who started watching with Toonami.

bigkrev

I've been trying to watch SAO from a more academic standpoint, basically trying to find what it does well, why it works, why it's written the way it is, that sort of thing (in addition to a normal watch) and I still think it's really bad. I can't think of anything that has been executed properly so far.

Another thing that I hate about it is that there are lots of people out their who (seemingly) genuinely like the show. And for the life of me, I just can't understand why anyone would like this. Twilight is terrible, but I understand how a bunch of insecure girls would like a love story where women are treated like disposable garbage, and they can overlook the terrible writing. The Walking Dead TV show is hot garbage, but plenty of people just "like seeing Zombies get destroyed" , so it continues to get watched.

What does SAO do that lets people overlook all of its flaws and find enjoyment? Sometimes the action looks cool.... but it's so rare, and there are dozens of other series that do it better. I can't think of anything good this show does.

mhs004

Another thing that I hate about it is that there are lots of people out their who (seemingly) genuinely like the show. And for the life of me, I just can't understand why anyone would like this. Twilight is terrible, but I understand how a bunch of insecure girls would like a love story where women are treated like disposable garbage, and they can overlook the terrible writing. The Walking Dead TV show is hot garbage, but plenty of people just "like seeing Zombies get destroyed" , so it continues to get watched.

What does SAO do that lets people overlook all of its flaws and find enjoyment? Sometimes the action looks cool.... but it's so rare, and there are dozens of other series that do it better. I can't think of anything good this show does.

Cuz waifus

i kind of agree. i don't really see the appeal of this show either. i mean, i can see somebody not getting as bent out of shape about this stuff as we are, but absolutely LOVING this show? why?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just don't get why people act like SAO murdered their mother, cryogenically froze their dad, drove their brother insane, indirectly killed their martial arts master and forced you into giant robot gladiatorial combat for the right to rule the universe so they can steal the metal akira monster your dad and brother created.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think it might be the idea of escapism. They might not be really finding enjoyment with the show, but with what it represents. I've said before that the setting of SAO is a good one with a lot of potential and that SAO just hasn't been able to capitalize on it in any way whatsoever. People might be identifying with that potential and not the actual execution.

That's the closest I can get you to an answer. If it's not that, then all I can say is people have bad taste.

I just don't get why people act like SAO murdered their mother, cryogenically froze their dad, drove their brother insane, indirectly killed their martial arts master and forced you into giant robot gladiatorial combat for the right to rule the universe so they can steal the metal akira monster your dad and brother created.

It's because of the squandered potential. Despite being given many shows in this setting, none of them have managed to live up to their potential. Not a single one of them. It's the same reason the manga thread hates Naruto, it could very very easily be many times better than it is but still manages to suck. So that sucking is amplified by what it could very easily have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom