• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was the author who demanded that change. I'm pretty sure it was the editors. And that should come to no surprise, one of Shonen's #1 rules is "Don't hit a lady". Unless the character is evil or a kid, you generally won't see them hit a lady in shonens.

And I can sorta understand why that rule is in place. For a genre that's primarily read/watched by little boys who copy what they see, I can understand why they don't want schoolboys punching their fellow girl classmates, even if it is a bit sexist.

so was that kind of a big deal when Luffy smacked Vivi then?

Crocodile

I don't think it was the author who demanded that change. I'm pretty sure it was the editors. And that should come to no surprise, one of Shonen's #1 rules is "Don't hit a lady". Unless the character is evil or a kid, you generally won't see them hit a lady in shonens.

And I can sorta understand why that rule is in place. For a genre that's primarily read/watched by little boys who copy what they see, I can understand why they don't want schoolboys punching their fellow girl classmates, even if it is a bit sexist.

Sure but we aren't talking about some waif-ish barmaid or even a generally nice person of importance like a doctor or something being tossed around. We are talking about a potential undead, mercenary swordswoman who would both have the skillset and desire to take Inuyahsa out. Or in any other series replace Jakoutsu (sp?) with some sort of mad scientist, evil sorceress that can shoot lasers our of her eyes, a succubus/vampire, a ferocious kunoichi, etc. I would think that young boys can distinguish between a witch bent on world domination and little Sakura sitting in the row in front of them no? Also, is the implication that these boys go around beating each other up playing the characters from their favorite shonen? That isn't a good look either :p

I don't think the character would work as well if he was a she. Did we really need another female character to go after InuYasha's D and make Kagome be jelly?

ReiGun

This isn't unique to KLK. You've described literally every show ever. A bunch of people check out a new thing. Because not everything can appeal to everyone, regardless of quality, some people realize thing X isn't for them and go do something else with their time. Some who are only mildly engaged will stick by and chime in from time to time. The rest that enjoy it continue consuming it and discussing it but that rarely precludes critical discussion or people saying "aspect X of this sucks". If you're saying some people don't like the show well that's certainly true (as with every show ever). "All but three people love the show" isn't an accurate statement. "A lot of people are talking about this show and the overwhelming majority of posts about it are positive" is accurate though from what I've seen.
As someone who is still watching KLK and likes it but doesn't love it, I'm inclined to agree with yami4ct. While it's true not everyone will like everything and all that, the KLK thread did feel pretty damn unwelcoming during the first two episodes for anyone who didn't like the show. Complaints about the outfit and sexuality especially put people on edge. While not liking the show is obviously going to make people not want to post anymore (cause hey, they likely aren't watching it anymore lol), it can also be a big turn off from posting when you feel like posting opinions that go against the thread consensus is going to have you fighting off the regulars.

Maybe it's not actually that way anymore, but that's the impression I got and why I haven't posted in there much since episode.

Seda

I tend to not like fanservice for the sake of fanservice, especially if the show is trying to be taken seriously. If Kill la Kill is as wacky and off the walls as it sounds I may be fine with it.

Also, I hope people aren't dissuaded from posting 'unpopular' opinions in here. Of course you have to expect some resistance but I don't think anybody is being too hostile in disagreement.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
so was that kind of a big deal when Luffy smacked Vivi then?

That was no smack, that was a fucking punch to the face.

kgq8kFq.jpg

Excuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess.

heh i couldn't remember which one it was, so i went with a smack because i figured that was the more likely of the two.

apparently i forgot Luffy doesn't fuck around.

Raxus

Also, I hope people aren't dissuaded from posting 'unpopular' opinions in here. Of course you have to expect some resistance but I don't think anybody is being too hostile in disagreement.

Hell MXC is a fan of Bleach. We may strongly disagree with him on certain qualities about the show but I don't think we made him run for the hills.

And did somebody say...fanservice?

ipMzX5plnyKhJ.gif

Stupid Sexy Sensei, you rapscallion.

ReiGun

I tend to not like fanservice for the sake of fanservice, especially if the show is trying to be taken seriously. If Kill la Kill is as wacky and off the walls as it sounds I may be fine with it.

Not in here, of course. Toonami Gaf has always felt welcoming.

Are we allowed to like SAO
Ya know, it's funny to see the opinion on Gaf of SAO be so completely different from the one I get from my friends and such. Last year, people were hyping this show up to be the best thing since grilled cheese, including whose opinions I normally trust. There has to be something about this show worth liking, but I just can't find it. Spoilers for the next arc don't fill me with confidence.

Levyne

Banned
Tenchi Muyo GXP is the anime all animes should strive to be. Pinnacle of writing, animation, and all around production. The complete package.

You can like whatever show you want, shard might jump on you tho :p
Yeah that's what I love about our community. We have such a diverse group of people that there's always a wide variety of opinions which helps keep the thread from becoming an echo chamber. I mean, where else are you going to have Bleach, One Piece, SBT, Inuyasha and Soul Eater fanboys co-exist?

ReiGun

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think One Piece really isn't for me. :/ I've made peace with the art style - I actually think it works for this world - but I can't get into these characters at all.

Crocodile

I don't think the character would work as well if he was a she. Did we really need another female character to go after InuYasha's D and make Kagome be jelly?

I mean the current Jakotsu is a gay male who may flirt with Inuyasha but clearly is more interested in Bankostu's D and I don't recall him letting affections seriously getting in the way of getting shit done. If Jakotsu was female, I'm not sure why any of this would change. I just want to be clear I have no problem with Jakotsu being a gay male (lord knows that's an underrepresented demographic) just that it rubs me the wrong way and seems bit sexist for the character to originally be female but then changed to be male because someone didn't want the male main character to hit them. It's not like Inuyaha has any qualms slugging or slashing at Kagura *shrug*

As someone who is still watching KLK and likes it but doesn't love it, I'm inclined to agree with yami4ct. While it's true not everyone will like everything and all that, the KLK thread did feel pretty damn unwelcoming during the first two episodes for anyone who didn't like the show. Complaints about the outfit and sexuality especially put people on edge. While not liking the show is obviously going to make people not want to post anymore (cause hey, they likely aren't watching it anymore lol), it can also be a big turn off from posting when you feel like posting opinions that go against the thread consensus is going to have you fighting off the regulars.

Maybe it's not actually that way anymore, but that's the impression I got and why I haven't posted in there much since episode.

From what I understood yami4ct was trying to say (I could be wrong), he was saying that the show isn't actually well liked and that there is a silent majority/plurality who actually dislike/hate the show. He argued (again correct me if wrong) that the ebb and flow of tone in the main thread belied how people in general actually feel about it. As such, it would be a poor fit for Toonami.

My counter was that by every perceptible metric, the show (so far) is well liked and popular as a function of how much discussion it generates and the tone of most of the posts actually discussing the show. We also know, per Toonami's own words, that a lot of people on Tumbr (and I assume Twitter & e-mail too) have been asking them to add the show to their future lineup. How the tone of discussion has changed or not changed over time I don't feel hides or betrays any particular sentiment. Plus honestly, after Space Dandy (which is already coming) and Attack on Titan (which is probably coming) what other show released this year (or relatively soon) in Japan comes as close to hitting the things Toonami wants in a show as closely as KLK?

Overall, I think after the months where sexuality was a hot button topic on GAF (don't misunderstand, it is very certainly a topic worthy of continued discussion, debate and learning) people have unfortunately been put on edge and both sides have been driven to extremes. Such "gems" like "Anyone who has an issue with this is a prude/sexually repressed" or "Shows like this are for perverts and it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever" are all pretty eye-roll worthy. As even a mod or two pointed out, the "discussion" quickly stopped being about the show itself.

Anyway, I can only take responsibility for the things I feel and say. I haven't seen anything to suggest contrary opinions are unwelcome (though I expect they will be challenged as in any other thread where one posts an "unpopular" opinion) and the thread has been focused on actually talking about the show for a good while now.

Are we allowed to like SAO

Only ironically :p

Hey guys. Satuday was my first night fully watching Toonami (and Anime in general) for an extended period of time with this community. ToonamiGAF makes it so much fun. I can't wait for much more. And now to start looking at Log Horizon. :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hey guys. Satuday was my first night fully watching Toonami (and Anime in general) for an extended period of time with this community. ToonamiGAF makes it so much fun. I can't wait for much more. And now to start looking at Log Horizon. :)

I hope to see you in even more saturday nights and maybe even the preblock
oh yeah, finally home frm work

LOLDSFAN

Welcome! Can't believe it's taken this long for you to join us considering your username ha.

Raxus

Kill La Kill? I think its time I checked this anime out.

Its a fun anime so far but I'm mostly still trying to wrap my head around everything. I do not yet see what most others see in it but there's 4 more episodes.

I hope you do check it out. Perhaps my favorite anime all year. Really fun to watch.

It makes a 'little' more sense once you watch the complete series. The next episode is pretty good too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah there were a lot of people saying episode 2 is the worst so hopefully it improves
Yeah, 2 (& to some extent, 4, but I've grown to like that episode) is the weakest of the 6, IMO. I wouldn't say it's "bad", but compared to the others, it just feels weak in comparison in terms of what happens. You might get what I'm saying once you watch the rest of the episodes.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kill La Kill? I think its time I checked this anime out.

Its a fun anime so far but I'm mostly still trying to wrap my head around everything. I do not yet see what most others see in it but there's 4 more episodes.

we told you about kill la kill, you didnt believe us, now you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom