• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
6>=3>5>1>4>2

I have spoken.
This is very close to my personal ranking, but I think I'll wait until the end to post my ranking since I want a fresh re-viewing to see if my old thoughts still hold up. For some strange reason, I remember loving the odd-numbered episodes as a kid, but not caring for the even numbered ones (though I liked 6 out of the three even ones).

I don't think it was the author who demanded that change. I'm pretty sure it was the editors. And that should come to no surprise, one of Shonen's #1 rules is "Don't hit a lady". Unless the character is evil or a kid, you generally won't see them hit a lady in shonens.

And I can sorta understand why that rule is in place. For a genre that's primarily read/watched by little boys who copy what they see, I can understand why they don't want schoolboys punching their fellow girl classmates, even if it is a bit sexist.

In other words, Index is progressive as fuck.

Cwarrior

Flcl is really about pedophillia, it's about a 12 year old kid main character who's sexually assaulted by 20+ year old woman(haruka)who's obessed with him to the point of stalks him and a 17 year old girl(mami) who takes advantage of her ex-boyfriends kid brother (12 year old protagonist) after he leaves her.

The studio behind it (Gannaix) has a long history being pro-pedophillia just look at there other works such as Nadia secret of black water(one adult male characters Marries a small child girl), evangelion(misato is into kids),gurran luggan (yoko is only 12 years old in part 1)

Naruto
Soul Eater
Ghost in the Shell
Korgoth of Barbaria
FLCL
One Piece
Kick-Heart
InuYasha 1
InuYasha 2
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Bleach
Sword Art Online
King Star King

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think One Piece really isn't for me. :/ I've made peace with the art style - I actually think it works for this world - but I can't get into these characters at all.

Are you watching from the beginning or only where Toonami is at? If it's the latter, then that's understandable. You haven't seen any of these character's arcs or backstories and how their personalities got established to where they are now. Remember, the show started 200 episodes in, and with what is accepted by the fanbase to be not only the worst arc, but the only canon one that has absolutely ZERO impact on the overarching plot.

Not to say you'd like it if you did start from the beginning, of course. Just saying, this is a possible reason why you don't now.

ReiGun

Are you watching from the beginning or only where Toonami is at? If it's the latter, then that's understandable. You haven't seen any of these character's arcs or backstories and how their personalities got established to where they are now. Remember, the show started 200 episodes in, and with what is accepted by the fanbase to be not only the worst arc, but the only canon one that has absolutely ZERO impact on the overarching plot.

Not to say you'd like it if you did start from the beginning, of course. Just saying, this is a possible reason why you don't now.

I've seen from the beginning and I know the character's arcs and stories (save the arc with Croc; haven't seen all of that). I just can't get invested in them.

Amikami

Banned
It is always time to check out Kill la Kill

we told you about kill la kill, you didnt believe us, now you believe.

I hope you do check it out. Perhaps my favorite anime all year. Really fun to watch.

It makes a 'little' more sense once you watch the complete series. The next episode is pretty good too.

Yeeeeeeeeeep. I'm gonna try and catch up with that series, starting this weekend. Looks like a load of fun aaaaand perversity.

And it's definitely too early for me to judge a 6 episode anime. I figure its one of those things you just need to sit through before it hits you all the way. So I'll give my opinion of FLCL when its done airing for the first time. Enjoying it and its wackiness so far, however.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Whiskey Peak is the ultimate cut off, though you don't have a heart if Arlong Park didn't grab you.

Then again, you might not have a pulse if Whiskey Peak didn't get you either.

Don't understand how someone could watch Arlong Park and go "nah I don't enjoy this" especially if they enjoy similar popular shonen series.

Water 7 arc is master class of shonen there is only one arc that rivals its mastery and thats the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't understand how someone could watch Arlong Park and go "nah I don't enjoy this" especially if they similar popular shonen series.

Water 7 arc is master class of shonen there is only one arc that rivals its mastery and thats the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter

42Q5P0J.gif

Cwarrior

I've seen from the beginning and I know the character's arcs and stories (save the arc with Croc; haven't seen all of that). I just can't get invested in them.

What don't you like about the characters? there a fun bunch and you have a variety of 7 main characters who are developed and relevant to the story to see interact with each other and the weird world of one piece.

The show itself has a lot to offer like it's main adventure plot,fun comedy interaction between the cast, action, emotional drama aka feels and lots of mystery with it's current plot and world.

Don't understand how someone could watch Arlong Park and go "nah I don't enjoy this" especially if they enjoy similar popular shonen series.

This man knows...

So I went ahead and bought the One Pieces DVDs that go from episodes 230-299 during the weekend (looks like I have something to watch on Friday nights)

What should I expect?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

RollEyesWhatever.gif

So I went ahead and bought the One Pieces DVDs that go from episodes 230-299 during the weekend (looks like I have something to watch on Friday nights)

What should I expect?

Why aren't you waiting with us :( ? Don't pull an mcxc/mvp and watch ahead

You're gonna find yourself crying "this arc isn't good" and then proceed to be drowned by all the OP virgins screaming "OHMYGODTHISISAMAZING"

foxuzamaki

Why aren't you waiting with us :( ? Don't pull an mcxc/mvp and watch ahead

You're gonna find yourself crying "this arc isn't good" and then proceed to be drowned by all the OP virgins screaming "OHMYGODTHISISAMAZING"

lol now hold on there, I never said the arc wasent good, but its wayyyy too overhyped, and rewatching it with you guys I do wonder how I never thought that this wouldnt happen, because
their character designs look way too evil to me, although that could just be biased due to already knowing who they're, but the leader of CP9 especially.

ReiGun

Watch Water 7, that made me a believer

That's what I'm holding out for. I figure if the arc that's toted as the absolute best the show has to offer can't get me, nothing will.

I want to like this show, so I'm giving more chances that I give most things. I would have dropped it by now otherwise. I don't think it's a bad show; just hasn't really hooked me yet.

Now, Hunter x Hunter I'm totally down with. That needs to be on Toonami yesterday.

What don't you like about the characters? there a fun bunch and you have a variety of 7 main characters who are developed and relevant to the story to see interact with each other and the weird world of one piece.
The Straw Hats, for the most part, annoy the shit out of me. I think I actually hate Chopper. Robin and Zolo are alright. Sanji's okay, I guess.

lol now hold on there, I never said the arc wasent good, but its wayyyy too overhyped, and rewatching it with you guys I do wonder how I never thought that this wouldnt happen, because
their character designs look way too evil to me, although that could just be biased due to already knowing who they're, but the leader of CP9 especially.

Gaf over hypes everything it comes with the territory lol though you seem to imply earlier this arc isn't very good due to bad pacing. Or are you saying the story/events are great but are too dragged out?

Also Water 7 spoilers don't click first time viewers
I'll give you Lucci looks obviously like the bad guy and Blueno has a sketchy face, but not Kaku or Kalifa. There is really no reason to suspect Kalifa until you hear a female voice come from a cp9 member and zero reason to suspect Kaku over any of the other galley la foreman. There is also very little reason to suspect Blueno who had one scene would turn into a major antagonist.

Over/under 7.5 post before Kakashi gets posted :p

Crocodile

We'll see about Water 7. That's a lot of hype to live up to :p I will say so far, YYH and FMA > All of One Piece I've seen (rather than just heard about). Not going to lie, sometimes (more often than not thankfully) the Straw Hats are awesome and sometimes I wanna punch different members of them in the face (mostly Sanji and Luffy).

On an unrelated note I just finished up Valvrave S1

Episode 11
- Saki is WAY too ok with what happened last episode. It's kind of creeping me out :/

Episode 12
- About time they used the last mech in the OP. Does Akira do like all her "business" in that hut? So is she a straight up agoraphobic or did her experiences with school + family turn her into one? Like the show seems to be suggesting some sort of familial abuse went on. Also straight up LOL at "Super Cain". I mean it was already hinted at but still LOL. Very curious about the future time skips/slices as well.

foxuzamaki

Gaf over hypes everything it comes with the territory lol though you seem to imply earlier this arc isn't very good due to bad pacing. Or are you saying the story/events are great but are too dragged out?

Also Water 7 spoilers don't click first time viewers
I'll give you Lucci looks obviously like the bad guy and Blueno has a sketchy face, but not Kaku or Kalifa. There is really no reason to suspect Kalifa until you hear a female voice come from a cp9 member and zero reason to suspect Kaku over any of the other galley la foreman. There is also very little reason to suspect Blueno who had one scene would turn into a major antagonist.

Over/under 7.5 post before Kakashi gets posted :p

the 2nd one, it has high highs, but also low lows because its draaaaagggggssss, like alot of Op arcs

bigkrev

It took me a long time to warm up to One Piece. I was ready to drop after reading the first 5 volumes, but people told me to keep going. It eventually started to hook me, but not that much- I have 7 volumes sitting on my desk unread from the library, and have no desire to read them ever.

FLCL episode ranks

3>4>5>1>6>2

4, 5, and 1 could be mixed up, but feel i'm correct with 3, 6, and 2.

Cwarrior

I used to be huge hater of one piece before I give it a proper chance, one of my mates had to nag me over a year to watch it, then forced me to give it a chance, at first I bloody hated everyone at first sight especially ussop & luffy, I thought ussop was another ones of those extremely common anime joke characters that never amount to anything boy I was ever wrong.

I thought the entire thing looked too retarded for me to watch, dumb stretch arm strong kid goes on a adventure with mask of zoro guy who puts a sword in his mouth wtf..also some theres dumb guy that sling shots eggs at people.

Began to watch it to trash it but after 15 episode I was asking myself why am I still watching this again?? I kept telling myself okay one more and am done with this untill around ussop vs shu fight which I found myself laughing uncontrollable which made me realise "I don't want to admited by hey maybe am enjoying this..." Little did I know it was to late for me I was hooked by skypiea I was like " this maybe one of the best anime I've seen in my 12 years of watching anime".

What I found intriguing early on was how luffy rubber ability very differently from heroes like mr fantastic.

MikeMyers

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think One Piece really isn't for me. :/ I've made peace with the art style - I actually think it works for this world - but I can't get into these characters at all.

I'm not too big of a fan either, but I like the wide variety of opinions on ToonamiGAF.

Tenumi

Banned
So nice to see the ratings back up again. I wasn't getting worried, but it was kind of depressing to see them down after so many weeks of multi-millions.

789shadow

Banned
Damn. The ratings are pretty good. The difference between Naruto and Bleach is minimal. Dat Rock Lee pull. He killed Bleach and now he's killing it in the ratings. I'll never quite get used to the super late night Inuyasha bump. So weird.
I feel like Inuyasha is more super early than super late.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hot damn, triple million & overall high ratings. Though I wonder how many people stayed for the surprise hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom