• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I always feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed the Fullbringer arc :[

The Fullbring Arc was terrible and pretty universally reviled. And yet, quite honestly, I consider it a much better arc than the supposedly "amazing" Thousand Year Blood War Arc, which has been completely disjointed, full of tons of major shit just "happening" with literally no build up at all, loaded with retcons out the ass, and featuring some of the wonkiest pacing the series has seen in a while. At least the Fullbring Arc was, like, an actual arc with a plot and a sequence of events to it, even if the resolution to it was pretty damn dumb. The Blood War is pretty much just "PEOPLE WITH STUPID NAMES YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE ARE FIGHTING OR SOMETHING, ISN'T THIS AWESOME?!"

But I guess the Yamamoto fight was kind of cool for like 2 weeks before it ended "because magic and shit."

Honestly I don't have the slightest clue why people seem to think that arc is any good at all. Is it because of the promise of a conclusion? Because it's taking place in Soul Society? Because maybe it might address a few lingering questions? Because the main villain with the unpronounceable name has some sweet facial hair? I don't get it. Even Naruto has been better than it, and that series has been in the same fucking fight for, quite literally, YEARS now.

bah. there's no Chinese places that deliver around here :(

Nothing delivers where I live in the middle of nowhere Connecticut, I had to drive 20 minutes to get Chinese food.

Honestly I don't have the slightest clue why people seem to think that arc is any good at all. Is it because of the promise of a conclusion? Because it's taking place in Soul Society? Because maybe it might address a few lingering questions? Because the main villain with the unpronounceable name has some sweet facial hair? I don't get it. Even Naruto has been better than it, and that series has been in the same fucking fight for, quite literally, YEARS now.

Now you're just hating, the Blood War isn't perfect but it's been more entertaining then everything post Soul Society arc in Bleach and it's been way better then Naruto's garbage war. I feel like the Blood War has been a little of all the best parts of Bleach rolled into one. Fights are flashy but don't drag on and on like in the arracar arc, it has a sense of humor like the substitute arc, it has troll twist that are always entertaining. It's easy to say the Blood War is the 3rd best arc in Bleach, but when you look at all the arcs (Substitute, Soul Society, Arracar/Hueco Mundo, Fullbringer, Blood War) it really is the overall 3rd best.

I won't remember Bleach as one of the greatest shonens ever, it's not it has a lot of problems that people are all to quick to point out. I will remember Bleach as an entertaining Shonen something that most of part 2 of Naruto can't really claim. At least when Bleach's plot was going nowhere during the Arracar war every 4 chapters we focused on a different fight between two characters we marginally cared about, in Naruto we've been fighting the same dude for over a year with no end in sight and almost no plot development in that time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Bleach begins a 26 episode filler arc, Naruto finally takes center stage against Kiba and Akamaru, the Straw Hats take on Foxy once more in the final One Piece filler episode for a long long time, do you want to hear a heroic tale?, Kirito goes one-on-one with Heathcliff and The Catillac Cats (okay, just Heathcliff), it's playoff time for Team Satomi, Ahsoka has to stop Ventress from rescuing a captured Nute Gunray after we skip over a Jar Jar episode, Roger takes on Big Duo, Edward is reunited with Alphonse...sort of, Faye recovers her memories of the past, and Jaken runs afoul of some of Naraku's leftover poison insects.

12:00 - Bleach - 317 - Unusual Incident in Seireitei?! 13 Court Guard Squads Invading Army Arc!
12:30 - Naruto - 44 - Akamaru Unleashed! Who's Top Dog Now?
1:00 - One Piece - 226 - The Guy Who’s the Closest to Invincible? And the Most Dangerous Man!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 32 - Legend of the Holy Sword 3 – The Academy Gang Leader's Tale?
2:00 - Sword Art Online - 10 - Crimson Killing Intent
2:30 - IGPX - 23 - Fate
3:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 9 - Cloak of Darkness
3:30 - Big O - 24 - The Big Fight
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 47 - Emissary of Darkness
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 24 - Hard Luck Woman
5:00 - Inuyasha - 95 - The Sacred Jewel Maker Part II
5:30 - Inuyasha - 96 - Jaken Falls Ill

Clone Wars writers, why would i ever want to see this character again?

Had the prequel trilogy been written competently his character should have played a larger role in the story... and had a better defined motive outside of being manipulated

Raxus

Tonights theme is trolling.

Trolling ever so hard.

The biggest troll of all?

SAO
enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

Did you convert to the cause yet or still on the sidelines?

My initial post on KLK in the last OT focused on the negative but overall I really enjoyed what I saw. I still think the battlesuit is over the top and that the plot is a whole new level of stupid but as Bass pointed out, KLK doesn't take itself seriously like a SAO. Therefore I can give it a pass.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Indeed, more to the point, we only have episode one right now, I am expecting some very Gurren Lagan like turns.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing delivers where I live in the middle of nowhere Connecticut, I had to drive 20 minutes to get Chinese food.

Now you're just hating, the Blood War isn't perfect but it's been more entertaining then everything post Soul Society arc in Bleach and it's been way better then Naruto's garbage war. I feel like the Blood War has been a little of all the best parts of Bleach rolled into one. Fights are flashy but don't drag on and on like in the arracar arc, it has a sense of humor like the substitute arc, it has troll twist that are always entertaining. It's easy to say the Blood War is the 3rd best arc in Bleach, but when you look at all the arcs (Substitute, Soul Society, Arracar/Hueco Mundo, Fullbringer, Blood War) it really is the overall 3rd best.

I won't remember Bleach as one of the greatest shonens ever, it's not it has a lot of problems that people are all to quick to point out. I will remember Bleach as an entertaining Shonen something that most of part 2 of Naruto can't really claim. At least when Bleach's plot was going nowhere during the Arracar war every 4 chapters we focused on a different fight between two characters we marginally cared about, in Naruto we've been fighting the same dude for over a year with no end in sight and almost no plot development in that time.

I haven't found anything about it to be the slightest bit entertaining, with the exception of the 2 or 3 chapters dedicated to the Yamamoto fight. Part of the problem is that I don't really find Bleach's fight to even be comprehensible in manga form most of the time since they're mostly just big swashes of white or black that maybe hits a character or maybe doesn't (again, with the exception of Yamamoto's fight, which actually had art and detail and just generally looked like Kubo was really interested in giving it a solid portrayal), so when it's just chapter after chapter of THAT, especially chapter after chapter of that featuring mostly characters that I couldn't give the tiniest and slightest of shits about, it's difficult for me to find anything entertaining in it.

For what it's worth, I do think it's an arc that will benefit massively from being animated eventually, especially if it doesn't have to be bogged down by the original anime series' wacky ass pacing and bloat.

I haven't found anything about it to be the slightest bit entertaining, with the exception of the 2 or 3 chapters dedicated to the Yamamoto fight. Part of the problem is that I don't really find Bleach's fight to even be comprehensible in manga form most of the time since they're mostly just big swashes of white or black that maybe hits a character or maybe doesn't (again, with the exception of Yamamoto's fight, which actually had art and detail and just generally looked like Kubo was really interested in giving it a solid portrayal), so when it's just chapter after chapter of THAT, especially chapter after chapter of that featuring mostly characters that I couldn't give the tiniest and slightest of shits about, it's difficult for me to find anything entertaining in it.

For what it's worth, I do think it's an arc that will benefit massively from being animated eventually, especially if it doesn't have to be bogged down by the original anime series' wacky ass pacing and bloat.

Fair enough on all your points even if I did find things more entertaining then you did. I'm still going to all shenanigans on your Naruto War > Blood War because the Naruto war not only has it missed the point of a war arc it's been a mess of plot points due to plot points that were clearly set in stone from the beginning of the series not meshing at all with the direction the series went.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
...not only has it missed the point of a war arc it's been a mess of plot points due to plot points that were clearly set in stone from the beginning of the series not meshing at all with the direction the series went.

This is a completely accurate description of Naruto/Bleach's war arc, yes.

This is a completely accurate description of Naruto/Bleach's war arc, yes.

I'd give the edge to Bleach's war because it did give a fight to everyone... all fights that went on too long but a fight none the less. Regardless of who your favorite character was (except Momo...LOL) they got a chance to be a bad ass

Raxus

At this point I pray the next Naruto chapter won't be painfully disappointing. It is the only way I can keep reading.

Jintor

if anyone needs me i'll be popping the back off this nexus 7 to try and replace the battery.

fucking nexus 7.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Now to probably watch some monogatari season 2, a show I would never recommend for toonami as its def not for everybody.

I'd give the edge to Bleach's war because it did give a fight to everyone... all fights that went on too long but a fight none the less. Regardless of who your favorite character was (except Momo...LOL) they got a chance to be a bad ass

well, if your favorite character is Momo you need to reevaluate your life

Mik317

Now to probably watch some monogatari season 2, a show I would never recommend for toonami as its def not for everybody.

I watched the first season ( I think...the Catgirl's arc didn't air yet) and then I stopped.

Not sure if I liked it or not actually, lol

Crocodile

In regards to Kill la Kill and SAO, its not so much that one takes itself seriously and one does not. Kill la Kill has characters with clear motives and aspirations. Given the writers behind the show (see TTGL) we can expect a clear and sensical plot progression with one or more major plot twists. There is a plot and things will matter.

The difference between the shows is how they use Suspension of Disbelief. Kill la Kill sets the bar VERY high right at the start with a setting where multiple people have super powers, clothing can talk, you can be murdered for mere theft or disturbance of the public peace, etc. These are "real" people but they live in a fantastical world with crazy rules.

SAO takes place in OUR world +10 years. All that has changed is that VR technology has become better. As such, people are expected to act, think and behave in ways we do. MMORPGS aren't an alien concept to us; we know how people who play MMORPGs tend to act inside the game and outside. However, time and time again, people in SAO act in ways and do things that no sensible person in our world would do. The bar for Suspension of Disbelief is set VERY LOW - pretty near the level of actual real life. So when people do crazy/dumb things in the show it quickly surpasses the bar of Suspension of Disbelief and tends to piss people off. That, among other things, is what pisses people off about SAO.

I was mostly making a reference to my joke earlier in the thread

My top 3 Bleach characters would be Urahara, Aizen, and Kenpachi

well, that was a general "you" and not a "you, BassForever"

reporting in for pre-Toonami with stuffed crust pizza and some wings :D

also, i think mine is probably Urahara, Rukia, and Kenpachi

Mik317

SAO just takes itself too seriously and struggles to pull it off badly.

When character death is met with laughter and that's not the intention then you messed up.

also constant timejumps.

Infinite Stratos, male power harem fantasy done right

It really makes SAO look inept by comparison not that it was difficult to do so

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SAO tainted the whole premise but I will give it a look with how it is being talked about positively.

Oh, no doubt, there is a bit of the hard to swallow going on in Log Horizon and some of the attempts at comedy are painful, but it doesn't fuck up the premise of being trapped in a MMORPGish world.

Tamanon

Banned
I was mostly making a reference to my joke earlier in the thread

My top 3 Bleach characters would be Urahara, Aizen, and Kenpachi

Ichigo, Urahara and Kyoraku for me. I think Ichigo's probably the best protagonist of the big 3, if only because he's the only one that doesn't seem to be an idiot most of the time.

No, it tripped up right out the gate by spelling everything out with an EVIL VILLIAN trapping them in an MMO for shits and giggles.

well, it didn't wrap everything up in the first episode but there was still a sense that it might be explained in another episode or two. and then they started time skipping everywhere.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
well, it didn't wrap everything up in the first episode but there was still a sense that it might be explained in another episode or two. and then they started time skipping everywhere.

Fair enough point I suppose.

Azure J

First time I'm here early, although I'm attempting to brush something up in MSWord real quick. What's everyone doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom