• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAO growth was hurt by SAO, not it's time slot. Besides Adult Swim is able to get 2-3 million showing reruns of family guy from 1-3AM every other night there is really no reason to suggest Saturday 2:00AM is "too late" for a new premier to do well.

if the timeslot isn't a concern, then why have they put every effort toward placing the most expensive shows out front?

if the timeslot isn't a concern, then why have they put every effort toward placing the most expensive shows out front?

I'm making an effort to putting the shows that'll bring in the most viewers to the front, Space Dandy being a brand new world premier will naturally bring in a lot of viewers, AoT is incredibly popular and will bring in big numbers, Bleach is incredibly popular and brings in a lot of viewers, Naruto/Shippuden are popular and will bring in a lot of viewers. It's not about how expensive the show is but how many people it can attract. My argument is built around the fact that Space Dandy -> Attack on Titan at 11:30 and Bleach - > Fairy Tail or another popular shonen will bring in a higher number of viewers at the start of the block.

You keep wanting shorter shows at the top of the block, yet you don't give any suggestions for what these shows should be that would actually bring in these viewers. I'll give you InuYasha Final Act but what after that? Do you take a risk on a shorter series that people may hate or would you rather pick a popular long running show that you know people will keep tuning in for regardless of how bad it gets? SAO is popular with anime fans sure, but it's no where near as popular as Titan has been or how popular Space Dandy will probably be. Remember Bleach is in the top 4 highest rated shows Toonami has ever shown and it's an incredibly popular western anime/manga series. 11:30 and 12:00 need to be reserved for shows that can rival that popularity.

Also don't forget how tight Toonami's budget is already, how many expensive shows can they really afford to have? Sliding in shows like Toriko and Fairy Tail into Bleach and Soul Eaters slots even if they can just maintain the same numbers (or slide Shippuen up to 12:00) means that Toonami can continue to be profitable during it's 11:30-2:00 peak.

I'm making an effort to putting the shows that'll bring in the most viewers to the front, Space Dandy being a brand new world premier will naturally bring in a lot of viewers, AoT is incredibly popular and will bring in big numbers, Bleach is incredibly popular and brings in a lot of viewers, Naruto/Shippuden are popular and will bring in a lot of viewers. It's not about how expensive the show is but how many people it can attract. My argument is built around the fact that Space Dandy -> Attack on Titan at 11:30 and Bleach - > Fairy Tail or another popular shonen will bring in a higher number of viewers at the start of the block.

You keep wanting shorter shows at the top of the block, yet you don't give any suggestions for what these shows should be that would actually bring in these viewers. I'll give you InuYasha Final Act but what after that? Do you take a risk on a shorter series that people may hate or would you rather pick a popular long running show that you know people will keep tuning in for regardless of how bad it gets? SAO is popular with anime fans sure, but it's no where near as popular as Titan has been or how popular Space Dandy will probably be. Remember Bleach is in the top 4 highest rated shows Toonami has ever shown and it's an incredibly popular western anime/manga series. 11:30 and 12:00 need to be reserved for shows that can rival that popularity.

Also don't forget how tight Toonami's budget is already, how many expensive shows can they really afford to have? Sliding in shows like Toriko and Fairy Tail into Bleach and Soul Eaters slots even if they can just maintain the same numbers (or slide Shippuen up to 12:00) means that Toonami can continue to be profitable during it's 11:30-2:00 peak.

my point was that the timeslot is obviously a factor if they put the big shows that need a lot of viewers to be successful out front. i've already said i don't see how something like Fairy Tail is going to bring in a greater number of viewers; all it's going to do is maintain the status quo.

if you consider 1am to be the top of the block, sure. piling a bunch of the long-runners you suggest up until 2am is completely artificial; it's largely the same audience. all it does is coax the same people later into the night, where they're more and more likely to get tired and shut off the TV rather than give those shorter shows a chance. and what about the people who don't want to stay up that late to see other shows? what about the people who would rather change the channel than sit around for 2 hours of similar programming before they get to something that interests them? the death of variety in those opening hours only limits the potential audience because it decreases the exposure of the other shows.

MikeMyers

Hey, guys. What's goin-

tumblr_lhm9h6xTTV1qelfu9o1_500.gif

bigkrev

Also, after listening to our pleas, Lich Lord will give us Hunter x Hunter, but make it the english dubbed version of the 1999 show

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Shippuden summary:
Sasuke turns evil, Sakura gets a Gohan-type "one notable victory and then fall into useless mode again" moment, Naruto becomes a fusion of Goku and Jesus

That's a horrible summary
edit: gucchi yes you will have to watch the rest of naruto part 1 to get shippuden

Levyne

Banned
Nah I don't really think you need to watch a lot of Naruto part 1 to follow Shippuden, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it. I don't feel like doing so, either.

foxuzamaki

Nah I don't really think you need to watch a lot of Naruto part 1 to follow Shippuden, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it. I don't feel like doing so, either.
To quote bass:
I mean for people who haven't seen the series all of these scenes will be important to see

Introduction of jiraya and tsunade
Orochimaru's attack on the leaf
Sasuke learn chidori, naruto learn rinnegan
Naruto beat neji, shikamaru "lose" to sand girl
Gaara go crazy, naruto beating him with 9 tails
Rock lees operation
Introduction of summoning jutsu

And all that happens before the final arc of part 1. All of that is needed to understand the events of part 1's final arc and what happens in shippuden
It was a joke.

That being said, I don't mind Shippuden coming to TV. But we are missing out on the Sasuke retrieval arc, which is my favourite arc.

indeed, we should watch it as a group together

Levyne

Banned
Yeah but I don't feel a lot of that really needs to be watched. Does that make sense? I dunno. I'm no good with words. It can be told or easily gathered. The exception would be the final arc. But it's been awhile since I've seen either early shippuden or late part 1 so my opinion is probably bad.

foxuzamaki

Yeah but I don't feel a lot of that really needs to be watched. Does that make sense? I dunno. I'm no good with words. It can be told or easily gathered. The exception would be the final arc. But it's been awhile since I've seen either early shippuden or late part 1 so my opinion is probably bad.

I understand what you mean, but that means why watch anything when you can just look it up on wiki

foxuzamaki

My real friends call me MCXC

Fox, I am disappoint

Grabbing some titty during the zombie apocalypse, you wouldn't?

I planned to keep calling you MCXC but then you got your name changed to MVP, then I kinda forgot if it was MXCX or whatever so called you MVP, then you got your shit changed again so I just gave up lol

my point was that the timeslot is obviously a factor if they put the big shows that need a lot of viewers to be successful out front. i've already said i don't see how something like Fairy Tail is going to bring in a greater number of viewers; all it's going to do is maintain the status quo.

if you consider 1am to be the top of the block, sure. piling a bunch of the long-runners you suggest up until 2am is completely artificial; it's largely the same audience. all it does is coax the same people later into the night, where they're more and more likely to get tired and shut off the TV rather than give those shorter shows a chance. and what about the people who don't want to stay up that late but don't find the genre appealing? what about the people who would rather change the channel than sit around for 2 hours of similar programming before they get to something that interests them? the death of variety in those opening hours only limits the potential audience.

I think Fairy Tail would bring in some new audience, and even if it didn't if it could maintain the status quo and do Bleach numbers (again one of the top 4 highest rated shows Toonami has ever aired) then that'd be pretty fantastic.

And this variety you want, Toonami is an action cartoon block... even if it isn't long running shonen 90% of the shows are going to involve people fighting each other. Currently the only shows that don't do this are IGPX which is two teams racing and GitS which is Anime CSI. Even FLCL manages to fit a fight scene between two robots at the end of each episode.

And lets face facts, the Toonami block has done better ratings wise with a 2 hour top block of shonen then it ever did before that point. The Toonami you seem to want was a year and a half ago when the block was Bleach, Samurai 7, Eureka 7, GXP, etc in the top two hours and these shows clearly weren't doing it the way Naruto, OP, and Soul Eater do. The fact is the niche amount of people who might have wanted to watch the newer shows that air in my hypothetical block from 2-3 don't match the larger number of shonen fans who'd rather watch 2 hours of shonen crap and then go to bed. You have to appeal to the largest audience and the money and numbers clearly point to long running shonen being the key to success. In all of Toonami's years the only not long running show to be one of their big money makers was Gundam Wing a 50 episode mech anime.

Let's just say Toonami hadn't gotten Naruto/One Piece/Soul Eater and had SAO at 12:30. Sure at first it may have done really good Naruto esque numbers after Bleach, but by this point the numbers would have completely dropped off the deep end as people quit the show for being bad, SAO fans quit the show because they don't like part 2, and those who remain only stayed because they were going to watch the whole block regardless.

It'd be like arguing for Adult Swim to not show dozens of reruns of Family guy and instead do a wider variety of their shows, sure they could do that, but when syndicated Family guy makes them far more money then syndicated random crap what's the logic in changing? Making a whole bunch of new shows probably going to make you as much money as what you're audience clearly wants. Toonami's audience clearly wants and likes shonen and that's why they tune in every Saturday night. There isn't some mass amount of on the fence anime fans that can suddenly be converted by shows like Space Dandy or Titan or any other random anime.

Again I'll repeat, Bleach is one of the highest rated shows on average that Toonami has ever aired in it's history, if Fairy Tail maintains that status quo it'd also be one of the highest rated shows to air in Toonami's history. How many anime or western action cartoons could do better then Bleach at 12:00 or rerun Naruto at 12:30? Not very many, and those shows can go at 11:30 in the big premier slot.

Do I need to watch the rest of this Naruto arc before Shippuden or will I be completely lost?

Yeah, first time Naruto watchers who don't see the rest of canon part 1 and jump into Shippuden are going to go "huh? What? who's that? What's that technique he's using? who's that guy? Wait when did he change sides? When did he change sides? When did he die? What's that technique he's using? Why is she not awful/useless now?"

Among other things, you'll be like me when I was catching up on InuYasha and watching some of the random filler episodes that were 70+ episodes away from where I was. Toonami GAF will talk about the anime will act like you saw things you haven't seen.

I understand what you mean, but that means why watch anything when you can just look it up on wiki

At least read the manga if you're not going to bother watching the anime, you can probably read the 125ish chapters needed to be caught up with part 2 in 3-4 hours if you're a quick reader.

You should really watch it, it's genuinely enjoyable but at the same time you cant take it too seriously lol
I tried to get into it a while back. Don't remember why I dropped it.

Obligatory
highschool-of-the-dead-sniper-shot-o.gif
Not the most stable area to rest that on.

Grabbing some titty during the zombie apocalypse, you wouldn't?

Pretty sure it was for motivation but it's been over a year since I last watched it
It's funny that MCXC's joke is pretty much spot on.

Seda

Shipudden's cold open won't make all too much sense if you haven't watched the ending of part 1 Canon, but you can read up on it and get the jist of things.

There's like, wht, 100 episodes of part 1 left?

Yeah...I'm gonna just read the wiki.

Read the manga bro, it won't take that much more time and you'll be much less lost. Names and techniques without images attached won't do it justice. And this is coming from someone who thinks Naruto is really over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom