• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's all sorts of random non Japanese shows I'd allow.

Beast Wars, Reboot, Batman, Superman, Justice League/JLU, Batman Beyond, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Original Thundercats, Venture Bros., Gennedy Clone Wars.

Okay then replace Mario with Battlefield, while there is cross over there are people who only like or buy one or the other. That's my point yes while both FT and Bleach/Naruto/OP are shonen they don't all have an identical audience base. I'm not saying FT is going to bring hundreds of thousands of new fans, but it would certainly bring more new fans then say a series like Gurren Lagann or Fate/Zero.

how? the bulk of Toonami's audience is the general public, and if Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece haven't worked to draw more of them in you don't keep throwing the same type of show at the wall and hoping it sticks THIS time. you try something new. and relegating the "something new" to the limited exposure of 2am outside of a single 11:30 slot isn't a good idea at all.

and why does everyone forget that Toonami operates with a show from the same company replacing? a Viz show is going to take Bleach's spot.

how? the bulk of Toonami's audience is the general public, and if Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece haven't worked to draw more of them in you don't keep throwing the same type of show at the wall and hoping it sticks THIS time. you try something new. and relegating the "something new" to the limited exposure of 2am outside of a single 11:30 slot isn't a good idea at all.

and why does everyone forget that Toonami operates with a show from the same company replacing? a Viz show is going to take Bleach's spot.

Considering ratings are higher then they've ever been with the shonen double power hour I don't think putting you'd want to replace that with shows that aren't bread winners.

And I know the whole "viz spot" idea, but considering they didn't get a single Viz show to air in the movie month and they've got a partnership with Funi to bring Space Dandy to America first I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a shift to more Funi shows on the block.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Maybe he has that thing yoshichan has that everytime someone mentions yoshi on neogaf he/she is informed on his/her phone.

Considering ratings are higher then they've ever been with the shonen double power hour I don't think putting you'd want to replace that with shows that aren't bread winners.

And I know the whole "viz spot" idea, but considering they didn't get a single Viz show to air in the movie month and they've got a partnership with Funi to bring Space Dandy to America first I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a shift to more Funi shows on the block.

and those ratings are composed of the same people, who are already watching Toonami and are going to stick around for the later shows if they like them. what about the people who aren't watching Toonami? the shows that can draw that audience in are pushed all the way to 2am. is playing it safe with the shows worth almost entirely stagnating the audience growth? because i'd say hell no it isn't.

Naruto Shippuden?

and those ratings are composed of the same people, who are already watching Toonami and are going to stick around for the later shows if they like them. what about the people who aren't watching Toonami? the shows that can draw that audience in are pushed all the way to 2am. is playing it safe with the shows worth almost entirely stagnating the audience growth? because i'd say hell no it isn't.

Naruto Shippuden?

Those shows go to 11:30 and maybe 12:00, push the 4th shonen show to 2:00. Space Dandy premiering first in the US is going to bring a huge audience, and the only other show out there currently that could do the same is Attack on Titan. After those the next big/popular shows are all long running shonen.

I don't think they have the same deal with Viz like they do with Funi.

Even then, I don't think you should assume that.

Those shows go to 11:30 and maybe 12:00, push the 4th shonen show to 2:00. Space Dandy premiering first in the US is going to bring a huge audience, and the only other show out there currently that could do the same is Attack on Titan. After those the next big/popular shows are all long running shonen.

the people who watch those long-runners are already here, and i don't see why the only shows that can appeal to that audience have to be more shonen. hell, the people who show up for Space Dandy or Attack on Titan hit a 2 hour brick wall if they don't wanna buy what Bleach and Naruto are selling. this is throwing variety out the window for the crucial hours when more people are actually awake.

mightynine said:
I don't think they have the same deal with Viz like they do with Funi.

Even then, I don't think you should assume that.

they've said they have two slots for Viz shows and don't have room for any more, or something along those lines. it makes more sense to assume they're going to keep to this than to assume everything's suddenly going to change.

If Bleach has to be replaced by a Viz show it would seem likely that InuYasha final act is most likely going to be the show of choice.

the people who watch those long-runners are already here, and i don't see why the only shows that can appeal to that audience have to be more shonen. hell, the people who show up for Space Dandy or Attack on Titan hit a 2 hour brick wall if they don't wanna buy what Bleach and Naruto are selling. this is throwing variety out the window.

They're going to have to run into that wall eventually in the night and they're not going to drop Bleach or Naruto lower into the night as they bring in the highest ratings.

they've said they have two slots for Viz shows and don't have room for any more, or something along those lines. it makes more sense to assume they're going to keep to this than to assume everything's suddenly going to change.

I missed that. If that's the case, yeah, it's not crazy to assume that.

I still don't think we're getting Bleach re-runs, but that's just me.

MikeMyers

You must take upon yourself the 5 hour challenge before being rewarded with the glory of the Naraku and Friends Hour.

Master troll indeed.

I missed that. If that's the case, yeah, it's not crazy to assume that.

I still don't think we're getting Bleach re-runs, but that's just me.

If you remove all the filler from Bleach it becomes 200 episodes long, which means even a filler-less run would be 4 years. O_O

Bleach would be 2 years at 5-6 without filler and 4 years with it. If they could get it for a good price I'd say go for it. Could easily replace InuYasha as the 5-6 hour that people wake up early for.

or they could just cut it down to an hour once Bleach ends.

One of either Fairy Tail or Toriko is coming next year when either Bleach or Soul Eater ends. No way Toonami and Funi would ignore the potential profits those shows could bring. Even if Bleach was replaced with a 13/26 episode show we're always going to at least have 90 minutes of long running shonen

One of either Fairy Tail or Toriko is coming next year when either Bleach or Soul Eater ends. No way Toonami and Funi would ignore the potential profits those shows could bring. Even if Bleach was replaced with a 13/26 episode show we're always going to at least have 90 minutes of long running shonen

and i'm saying why this is a shitty idea for the amount of time they have

and i'm saying why this is a shitty idea for the amount of time they have

And I'm saying it's a great business idea We've seen SAO get to 1 million viewers at 2:00AM after 2 hours of a shonen block (all of which did > 1 million viewers). If SAO can keep 1 million viewers to sit though that much shonen then there is a chance that some of the new audience Space Dandy brings in will be willing to do the same. The 4 highest rated shows in Toonami history have been DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and Gundam Wing, 3 long running shonen and the most main stream 50 episode mech series on the planet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's frankly amazing that they never got SEED as over as Gundam Wing. It's even more mass marketable. They just put it on the Toonami Saturday death slot and it died a death.

MikeMyers

And I'm saying it's a great business idea We've seen SAO get to 1 million viewers at 2:00AM after 2 hours of a shonen block (all of which did > 1 million viewers). If SAO can keep 1 million viewers to sit though that much shonen then there is a chance that some of the new audience Space Dandy brings in will be willing to do the same. The 4 highest rated shows in Toonami history have been DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and Gundam Wing, 3 long running shonen and the most main stream 50 episode mech series on the planet.

They coul add DBZ Kai when the Buu Saga debuts, if they even make that.

They coul add DBZ Kai when the Buu Saga debuts, if they even make that.

Allegedly they're doing a Kai for the buu saga because of how high the ratings were on nick toons so I imagine whenever it comes out they'd have first pick of it unless Toei doesn't care and lets everyone air it.

short-term? sure. but like i said, it makes the block's growth stagnant. think of how many people might have watched SAO otherwise if it wasn't at an ungodly hour.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Allegedly they're doing a Kai for the buu saga because of how high the ratings were on nick toons so I imagine whenever it comes out they'd have first pick of it unless Toei doesn't care and lets everyone air it.

It's been confirmed by the Japanese voice actors that they've already recorded whatever they needed to for an overseas release of the Buu Saga Kai. It's coming probably by the end of next year. No idea where but Nick would be a safe bet.

short-term? sure. but like i said, it hurts the growth of the block. think of how many people might have watched SAO otherwise if it wasn't at an ungodly hour.

SAO growth was hurt by SAO, not it's time slot. Besides Adult Swim is able to get 2-3 million showing reruns of family guy from 1-3AM every other night there is really no reason to suggest Saturday 2:00AM is "too late" for a new premier to do well.

I wonder what filler they'll cut out of Buu Saga Kai? It seems most people preferred the anime version of that arc.

A lot of the fights were extended IE Vegito in the manga just goes into his super form right away where as in the anime they fight for an episode untransformed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder what filler they'll cut out of Buu Saga Kai? It seems most people preferred the anime version of that arc.

They can probably cut the entire otherworld tournament but I hope against hope they keep in as much of the Gohan Highschool stuff as possible.

The anime for Buu Saga was 96 episodes, the manga for Buu saga was 92, considering they were able to condense about 190 DBZ episodes into 100 Kai episodes I imagine the Buu Kai will be about 40-50 episodes.

MikeMyers

They can probably cut the entire otherworld tournament but I hope against hope they keep in as much of the Gohan Highschool stuff as possible.

I think other-world tournament is technically part of the Cell arc, since the opening only changes after that tournament.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What an interesting cast of main characters for the start of HxH, they dont look super stereotypical tho I wish the main character was alot older

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom