• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I watched the first ten or so episodes of Fairy Tail and have read various parts of the manga and while the criticism about it being same-y is quite frankly spot on it also never quite ends up being boring, which is quite weird because it is all tits, ass, girl problems, and fights solved by the power of friendship.

Boring is never its problem, tho its pretty manufactured to be a mainstream shonen

The only way I will accept Fairy Tail is if it replaces Bleach.

If we lose more blocks to long running series it will kill Toonami for me.

mhs004

If I like an anime then I love it, if I dislike an anime then I hate it. You can guess which one Fairy Tail falls into.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am actually really curious about Mhs' avatar and that gif from the previous page, looks like something that will give me a damn good laugh

Praise the based god.

This thread needs more lil b gifs

tumblr_m0c7z6W0kP1r5zq6ao1_500.gif

Crocodile

Is the Toriko anime even good? Most of what I've heard is that it's "meh-tastic" and "pales compared the the manga". I've never seen the show myself but is the general consensus that it would be much loved on Toonami or is just a few people who are big fans of the show talking it up?

mhs004

Is the Toriko anime even good? Most of what I've heard is that it's "meh-tastic" and "pales compared the the manga". I've never seen the show myself but is the general consensus that it would be much loved on Toonami or is just a few people who are big fans of the show talking it up?

It's no were near as good as the manga. However it is still very good in it's own right and brings more "sillyness" to the franchise which is already weird. I recommend the manga over the anime but if you're not into manga than I still always recommend the anime.

I'm a huge fan of Toriko so take it as you will.

I think most people are scared of Fairy Tail because they'll have to admit it isn't as awful as they say it is. I'm not saying it's great but while we're watching shows like SAO and GXP and parts of IGPX a show has to do something particularly awful or being incredibly boring for the awful label. Fairy Tail is at worst flashy fan service with predictable shonen fights and arcs.

the problem being that this particular mediocre-at-best show is 175 episodes. i'll take one for the team if it's 26 episodes or 12 episodes, and maybe consider even 52 episodes. but 175? get that shit out of here.

If you haven't read the manga you'll have no problems. Manga readers mostly hem and haw at the toned down violence

the problem being that this particular mediocre-at-best show is 175 episodes. i'll take one for the team if it's 26 episodes or 12 episodes, and maybe consider even 52 episodes. but 175? get that shit out of here.

3.5 years of an easy million a week show makes too much sense, and there is a good chance the fairy tail anime will return.

LOLDSFAN

I wouldn't mind Fairy Tail replacing Bleach. It's ranked #64 on MAL. That's higher than Bleach (448) or Shippuuden (486).

I've only seen one episode though. That Happy character looks like he might be annoying.

3.5 years of an easy million a week show makes too much sense, and there is a good chance the fairy tail anime will return.

the current situation that forces Toonami to put a dub premiere of a popular show like Sword Art Online at 2am is far from ideal, and running right to another long runner that appeals to the same audience as Bleach/Naruto/One Piece is even less so. shouldn't the goal be to entice people who aren't ALREADY watching the block? that doesn't happen when you push the other shows out into the late night wasteland. sure, you might get some more people staying up 30 minutes later, but eventually the block's front end becomes stagnant and impenetrable to the people who have had enough of these types of long-runners and the general audience becomes less likely to be exposed to the other stuff.

the current situation that forces Toonami to put a dub premiere of a popular show like Sword Art Online at 2am is far from ideal, and running right to another long runner that appeals to the same audience as Bleach/Naruto/One Piece is even less so. shouldn't the goal be to entice people who aren't ALREADY watching the block? that doesn't happen when you push the other shows out into the late night wasteland. sure, you might get some more people staying up 30 minutes later, but eventually the block's front end becomes stagnant and impenetrable to the people who have had enough of these types of long-runners and the general audience becomes less likely to be exposed to the other stuff.

I don't think Fairy Tail audience is the same audience that enjoys Bleach or Naruto or One Piece. I think FT would bring in a new audience

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think Fairy Tail audience is the same audience that enjoys Bleach or Naruto or One Piece. I think FT would bring in a new audience

I doubt it, it'll have the same audience as Bleach or Naruto or SAO. It's not some big underground series with a huge fanbase. It doesn't get much more mainstream than FT.

bigkrev

I doubt it, it'll have the same audience as Bleach or Naruto or SAO. It's not some big underground series with a huge fanbase. It doesn't get much more mainstream than FT.

I can walk into Target and buy videogames based on Blech and Naruto (well, there hasn't been a Bleach game in a while, but they sold the PS3 game). Meanwhile, what the fuck is a Fairy Tail?

I meant that Fairy Tail has a much younger audience fan base and targets a younger audience when compared to Bleach or Naruto. You could very easily air something like FT on a Disney XD without having to censor much.

wut. they're all mainstream shows in a pretty similar style.

Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it has the same audience base. There will be cross over but there are people out there who only watch/enjoy Fairy Tail and don't watch/enjoy Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can walk into Target and buy videogames based on Blech and Naruto (well, there hasn't been a Bleach game in a while, but they sold the PS3 game). Meanwhile, what the fuck is a Fairy Tail?

You guys know what I mean. No one that likes Fairy Tail doesn't like Bleach/Naruto/One Piece. It's not some cult hit, it's the same sort of show we already have in the first hour and a half, only more vapid and predictable.

I meant that Fairy Tail has a much younger audience fan base and targets a younger audience when compared to Bleach or Naruto. You could very easily air something like FT on a Disney XD without having to censor much.

OK, but how many of those younger viewers would stay up late enough for Toonami? It's a relatively mainstream show that probably won't bring in anything new.

If this means anything, I would have never heard of Fairy Tail if not for you guys.

You are better off. It has all the predictability of Bleach with none of the trolling.

You guys know what I mean. No one that likes Fairy Tail doesn't like Bleach/Naruto/One Piece. It's not some cult hit, it's the same sort of show we already have in the first hour and a half, only more vapid and predictable.

Mario is main stream, Call of Duty is main stream, obviously no one that likes Mario doesn't like Call of Duty <_<

Especially when there are FT fans who claim that One Piece is ripping off Fairy Tail...

OK, but how many of those younger viewers would stay up late enough for Toonami? It's a relatively mainstream show that probably won't bring in anything new..

Maybe not at 1:30AM but I think at midnight you could get some preteens to early teens who would stay up to watch it.

Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it has the same audience base. There will be cross over but there are people out there who only watch/enjoy Fairy Tail and don't watch/enjoy Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.

it means it holds a similar appeal. i highly doubt it's going to attract any more new viewers than a show that ISN'T a long-running shonen will.

BassForever said:
Mario is main stream, Call of Duty is main stream, obviously no one that likes Mario doesn't like Call of Duty <_<

......are you comparing the similarities between Fairy Tail and the "Big Three" to Mario and Call of Duty?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Especially when there are FT fans who claim that One Piece is ripping off Fairy Tail...

Mario and Call of Duty are in completely different genres of games though....

Mario and Call of Duty are in completely different genres of games though....

Okay then replace Mario with Battlefield, while there is cross over there are people who only like or buy one or the other. That's my point yes while both FT and Bleach/Naruto/OP are shonen they don't all have an identical audience base. I'm not saying FT is going to bring hundreds of thousands of new fans, but it would certainly bring more new fans then say a series like Gurren Lagann or Fate/Zero.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay then replace Mario with Battlefield, while there is cross over there are people who only like or buy one or the other. That's my point yes while both FT and Bleach/Naruto/OP are shonen they don't all have an identical audience base. I'm not saying FT is going to bring hundreds of thousands of new fans, but it would certainly bring more new fans then say a series like Gurren Lagann or Fate/Zero.

Fair enough, but something like Attack on Titan would bring in a bigger audience and we wouldn't be stuck with it quite as long.

Fair enough, but something like Attack on Titan would bring in a bigger audience and we wouldn't be stuck with it quite as long.

True, but I figure the big premier should air in the 11:30 slot, once Space Dandy finishes you can put Attack on Titan there. So format the block like this

11:30 - Big premier anime
12:00 - Long running money shonen
12:30 - Long running money shonen
1:00 - Long running money shonen
1:30 - Long running money shonen
2:00 - premier shorter/experimental series
2:30 - premier shorter/experimental series
3:00 - Cheap/free rerun
3:30 - Cheap/free rerun
4:00 - Cheap/free rerun
4:30 - Cheap/free rerun
5:00/5:30 - Popular shonen rerun hour

Lead off with the big name new series, then 2 hour block of the popular shows all the cool kids watch, then an hour of new shows that are shorter and change more often, then 2 hour block of reruns or cheap shows, then a final hour of a popular rerun shonen people would wake up to watch

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
True, but I figure the big premier should air in the 11:30 slot, once Space Dandy finishes you can put Attack on Titan there. So format the block like this

Lead off with the big name new series, then 2 hour block of the popular shows all the cool kids watch, then an hour of new shows that are shorter and change more often, then 2 hour block of reruns or cheap shows, then a final hour of a popular rerun shonen people would wake up to watch

That's a lot of long runners. I feel like 2 or 3 consistently long running shows (52+ episodes) is more than enough.

That's a lot of long runners. I feel like 2 or 3 consistently long running shows (52+ episodes) is more than enough.

Well Funimation has both Toriko and Fairy Tail, both are popular, both are highly requested for Toonami, and both could easily take over for Bleach and Soul Eater when they end next year. We know they like to keep the schedule consistent for as long as they can to build a "repetition in people". They obviously aren't going to drop One Piece or Naruto Shippuden those shows will remain on the block for a long, long time.

I agree with all of this

Man God

Non-Canon Member
11:00-DBZ Uncut
11:30-DBZ Kai
12:00-Naruto Uncut
12:30-Naruto Shippuden
1:00-One Piece
1:30-One Piece
2:00-Fairy Tail
2:30-Bleach
3:00-Case Closed