• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP in peace Hughes

I never really liked his character, he was annoying comic relief that I'm glad his death really kicked the plot into full speed
What, did you skip the manga and the first anime? Or do you just not possess human emotions?

C'mon, son.

(if all you've seen is Brotherhood I maybe sorta understand. The blitz through the first part of the series is the one major misstep that adaptation made)

What, did you skip the manga and the first anime? Or do you just not possess human emotions?

C'mon, son.

(if all you've seen is Brotherhood I maybe sorta understand. The blitz through the first part of the series is the one major misstep that adaptation made)

Manga first, now marathoning FMA 03 for movie night, seen later half of brotherhood and first 7ish episodes.

Hughes is a good character like everyone in FMA is a good character, I just found his daughter doting gag got old quickly. His death is still really powerful and that scene of the daughter crying is very sad. When I say I'm glad his death kicked the plot into gear is that his death is a catalyst for Ed, Al, and Roy to really begin to dig deeper, and having recently seen Roy's revenge episode Hughes death was perfect.

His "oh my daughter is SOOOOOOOOOO precious" did get old especially in FMA 03, it was funny when he used it to troll Roy but when he used it on Ed and Winry and Cheska I was like urgh

so why didn't anybody (Naruto episode 63)
tell little Neji about his father sooner? and why the HELL is it being treated as something uplifting? it completely ignores the larger problem of the Hyuga clan's hierarchy; the fact that this guy was basically driven to choose to be killed by their rigid family structure just so he could feel like he was making a choice for himself is f*cking terrible. why isn't this treated like a bad thing?

MikeMyers

tell little Neji about his father sooner? and why the HELL is it being treated as something uplifting? it completely ignores the larger problem of the Hyuga clan's hierarchy; the fact that this guy was basically driven to kill himself by their rigid family structure just so he could feel like he was making a choice for himself is f*cking terrible. why isn't this treated like a bad thing?

My favourite part of the whole thing:

Neji: Everyone has destiny decided from birth, you're only as good a you were born
Naruto: NO U WRONG *Uses Ninetails chakra to win*

Naruto only won because of something he was born with...proving Neji's point

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
tell little Neji about his father sooner? and why the HELL is it being treated as something uplifting? it completely ignores the larger problem of the Hyuga clan's hierarchy; the fact that this guy was basically driven to choose to be killed by their rigid family structure just so he could feel like he was making a choice for himself is f*cking terrible. why isn't this treated like a bad thing?

Because Kishi

Seda

Roy was a goofball, but he was the nicest military person in Central and Ed/Al/Winry all became pretty well acquainted with him as he offered his home for them. His shtick is perhaps a bit overdone but it shows a devotion to his family as well. He was quite an altruistic person and seemed to easily bond with people. Makes a pretty good character to kill off.

And doesn't Neji's dad tell the clan to tell Neji? I don't remember exactly but Neji should be pissed that they didn't tell him sooner, instead of relieved.

My favourite part of the whole thing:

Neji: Everyone has destiny decided from birth, you're only as good a you were born
Naruto: NO U WRONG *Uses Ninetails chakra to win*

Naruto only won because of something he was born with...proving Neji's point

Well the knockout punch wasn't simply using the Ninetail's chakra, but yes that criticism makes sense. It would have been worse if the ninetail-chakra charge attack whatever it was did the final blow. At least Naruto had to be a little crafty with it.

Roy was a goofball, but he was the nicest military person in Central and Ed/Al/Winry all became pretty well acquainted with him as he offered his home for them. His shtick is perhaps a bit overdone but it shows a devotion to his family as well. He was quite an altruistic person and seemed to easily bond with people. Makes a pretty good character to kill off.]

I wouldn't mind watching/reading this version of FMA, 03 FMA has a bit more of a goofy side to Roy I'd be okay if there was a version that went all in on goofy Roy.

It's funny, Hughes dies in chapter 15 of the manga and episode 10 I think of Brotherhood, yet his impact on the series is felt almost the entire rest of the way. I can't think of another character who's killed during the story line and yet continues even in death to play a large impact on the story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's funny, Hughes dies in chapter 15 of the manga and episode 10 I think of Brotherhood, yet his impact on the series is felt almost the entire rest of the way. I can't think of another character who's killed during the story line and yet continues even in death to play a large impact on the story.

Kamina

It's basically a two person list in anime, if you open it up further I might have some more

Kamina

It's basically a two person list in anime, if you open it up further I might have some more

Remember not everyone's finished Gurren Lagann, including me :X (though I already knew that happened)

Also I added the "started the story alive" stipulation because I instantly though "90% of OP's cast is because of Gold Rodger"

Shikamaru

tumblr_mqgdakQEJd1rrx588o1_500.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Remember not everyone's finished Gurren Lagann, including me :X (though I already knew that happened)

Also I added the "started the story alive" stipulation because I instantly though "90% of OP's cast is because of Gold Rodger"

Oh thank god you knew that happened hahaha, man I cant wait til we start gurren lagann again, probably my most intentionally watched anime ever, seen it like 3 or so times, but I havent seen it in years so im ready to give it another go.

Jintor

"Our Summer War Game"

Oh thank god you knew that happened hahaha, man I cant wait til we start gurren lagann again, probably my most intentionally watched anime ever, seen it like 3 or so times, but I havent seen it in years so im ready to give it another go.

If there is a benevolant toonami god somewhere in the ether they're pulling the strings so it ends up on Toonami Actual

Seda

I slightly edited the OP.

I learned how to make font headers! Well a simple way to do it actually. It's not the exact same font as before, but whatever.

Jintor

I slightly edited the OP.

I learned how to make font headers! Well a simple way to do it actually. It's not the exact same font as before, but whatever.

Did you fix the banner image dimensions, or did the headers themselves not being (that size images) push everything into a more aesthetic direction?

Moaradin

So after watching Akira again last night, I've decided to check out the manga. Can anyone here give me recommendations on which version to get? I read that Epic Comics did a colored version. That worth checking out?

Seda

Did you fix the banner image dimensions, or did the headers themselves not being (that size images) push everything into a more aesthetic direction?

Hmm? The main banner is 1200px wide. The individual show images are 600px wide and go side by side, so they line up with the banner.

Jintor

They used to look more squashed I think, but it's been months since I last looked at the OP (and GAF isn't a good platform for aesthetic stuff anyway)

Seda

They used to look more squashed I think, but it's been months since I last looked at the OP (and GAF isn't a good platform for aesthetic stuff anyway)

Yeah I've tweaked it a couple of times. I try to keep it simple with image 'cards' just to be a little fun to look at.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey, One Piece fans that have a PS3. Pirate Warriors 2 is gonna be discounted from $50 to $25 on PSN tomorrow, even lower to $12.50 if you have PS+. Tried the demo off the JPN PSN, seemed okay, but not worth the $50. Though that lower price is much more tempting. Is it worth it for that 75% off price?

Hey, One Piece fans that have a PS3. Pirate Warriors 2 is gonna be discounted from $50 to $25 on PSN tomorrow, even lower to $12.50 if you have PS+. Tried the demo off the JPN PSN, seemed okay, but not worth the $50. Though that lower price is much more tempting. Is it worth it for that 75% off price?

Well I thought the first game was fun haven't picked up the second but I've only heard good things about it. The roster alone for pw2 makes me excited.

Not a fan of that type of gameplay. Wish it was a fighting game.

LegatoB

So after watching Akira again last night, I've decided to check out the manga. Can anyone here give me recommendations on which version to get? I read that Epic Comics did a colored version. That worth checking out?
Unless something's changed in the past couple of years, the old colored release of Akira from the 90s is extremely out-of-print, and it never had a complete trade paperback release. So the only real option is the original black-and-white version, which is still in print from Dark Horse in the US. Comes in 6 large volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom