• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ideal set up will be

Saturday: work 8 hours sometime between 6 am and 7 pm, stay up til 6 for toonami

Sunday: sleep til 2, work 4-12

Which is what I had on lockdown at my old store, just gonna have to slowly plant that idea into my gm's head so I can get it for sure by January. While I'd love for it to be up and running in 2 weeks for december I could live with missing the movie nights live.

thetechkid

Make his hair green and I think SAO will start to make sense....

It's almost like you thought I wouldn't do it.

z0f1VX9.png

LOLDSFAN

will I miss the button push if I don't record the show before Bleach?

I'm sure you'll be fine. It's usually the top of the hour mid-commercial if I remember correctly.

Anyway to the schedule bit, I usually stay up really late on Friday since I'm a dummy. Then on Saturday I sleep in a lot which pushes back dinner. That means I have to try to make sure I eat dinner before 8 lol and don't miss the pre-block. I only watch half of Toonami live because I have to get up in the morning for church. I'm just glad the second half isn't as memorable as the first. The gleaming exception is Inuyasha which I just DVR.

Oh snap! I think thetechkid has replaced SAB!!!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
oh man, i just checked. you guys really aren't gonna like where One Piece leaves off for the month of movies.

(for people who have seen this arc)

That's the perfect cliffhanger spot in Water 7. Especially since shit gets really real the episode after. It's so perfect that I almost think it was planned!

bigkrev

What the fuck is even happening anymore.

I'm normally up till 2ish on Friday assuming I get home at 12 or 1, up at 9am or so on Saturday, go to bed after FLCL, and wake up at around 8 or 9 on Sunday

Seda

I think I've said this before, but I usually don't have a problem wanting to watch ahead, as I always rather do something else when I have free time. (That's one reason why I haven't seen a lot of shows/anime/movies)

It's one reason why I preferred scheduled TV blocks I guess, because I suppose I mentally categorize it as part of my routine.

Also watching stuff by myself is not nearly as fun as having a place to livechat.

I'm probably just weird.

And when a whole bunch of new people jump into Toonami when Space Dandy starts they'll see that episode of OP and go O.O damn gotta watch this too!

eh. in a weird way i'm kinda looking forward to watching everyone new to the show going "GOD DAMMIT, THAT'S IT FOR A MONTH?"

lazybones18 said:
at least the cousin/sibling thing is thrown out the window. Now they can sleep in the same bed as much times as they want

how do you know they're not related anyway?

GOY5MN6.gif

Amikami

Banned
I think I've said this before, but I usually don't have a problem wanting to watch ahead, as I always rather do something else when I have free time. (That's one reason why I haven't seen a lot of shows/anime/movies)

It's one reason why I preferred scheduled TV blocks I guess, because I suppose I mentally categorize it as part of my routine.

Also watching stuff by myself is not nearly as fun as having a place to livechat.

I'm probably just weird.

Not weird. I'm the exact same. Back when Toonami started to decline, I stopped watching any anime besides Naruto (I was introduced to Naruto through Toonami). So Naruto was the only anime I kept up with after Toonami ended besides a few here and there. I've watched more anime in the last year than I have in the 5 years before that due to Toonami's return. Its better with a group for sure, and Toonami's a part of my routine. I have a hard time taking the time to do this independently which is partly why I have had a hard time with one piece catch up.

This thread is getting creepy. And that is one of the many side effects of SAO.

Seda

Not weird. I'm the exact same. Back when Toonami started to decline, I stopped watching any anime besides Naruto (I was introduced to Naruto through Toonami). So Naruto was the only anime I kept up with after Toonami ended besides a few here and there. I've watched more anime in the last year than I have in the 5 years before that due to Toonami's return. Its better with a group for sure, and Toonami's a part of my routine. I have a hard time taking the time to do this independently which is partly why I have had a hard time with one piece catch up.

I'm glad sometime understands me, and I'm not totally incomprehensible!

Yeah, besides Toonami shows, I watched FMA/FMAB only due to strong recommendations (totally worth it in the end of course) and like, Gundam 00 (meh) and Trigun (LOVE AND PEACE).

That's really about it.

Amikami

Banned
I'm glad sometime understands me, and I'm not totally incomprehensible!

Yeah, besides Toonami shows, I watched FMA/FMAB only due to strong recommendations (totally worth it in the end of course) and like, Gundam 00 (meh) and Trigun (LOVE AND PEACE).

That's really about it.

Completely understand. But hey, I think that's kind of a good thing. We're going to be seeing a lot more animes because of toonami and get to experience them for the first with live discussion! Gaf makes the first-time experiences even better, or more humorous. Depends on what anime you're watching.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Kinda opposite for me, same situation as you, kept watching naruto after toonami died, but the thing is I only watched cartoon network FOR naruto, all the western cartoons I grew up with were ending, and I was losing interest in the channel and at the time my interest in japanese animation grew, problem was I didnt have internet until 2007-2008 somewhere around there, didnt get internet(for the second time) until highschool, after I did however, I just binged on nothing but anime, binged on it so much infact I lost interest in it twice

LOLDSFAN

I'm probably just weird.

For me both sides have their positives and negatives.

On one hand I feel like I can better concentrate and be immersed in an anime if I'm watching it by myself. I also don't have to read or think of things to say. 100% of me is focused on the show.

On the other hand I have so much fun watching with other people. I also get different perspectives and joking around and making jabs are good fun too.

Now here's where it gets creepy. I would probably be a-ok with SAO if I was watching it by myself. I'm really not a hard person to please when it comes to anime most of the time I find a way to like it. If it wasn't for people here pushing the negatives of the show so much, I probably wouldn't know any better. :p

For example, I really liked K-On! I'm sure if it was showed on Toonami, (bah I can't even imagine what the dub. must sound like) the show might just come down to shallow moe material.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My second summer of love (with anime) started with me blocking it out into three hour a day segments. It was my own Toonami. watched lots of great shows from 06-08 that way.

Jintor

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF...

BYNzTDYCAAAc-j6.jpg

For example, I really liked K-On! I'm sure if it was showed on Toonami, (bah I can't even imagine what the dub. must sound like) the show might just come down to shallow moe material.

K-On S1 is well-animated well-made largely shallow moe material. K-On!! is a weirdly nostalgic almost bildungsroman style show about the impermanence of youth, while superficially appearing to be exactly like S1. I have no idea how or why this occured.

foxuzamaki

For me both sides have their positives and negatives.

On one hand I feel like I can better concentrate and be immersed in an anime if I'm watching it by myself. I also don't have to read or think of things to say. 100% of me is focused on the show.

On the other hand I have so much fun watching with other people. I also get different perspectives and joking around and making jabs are good fun too.

Now here's where it gets creepy. I would probably be a-ok with SAO if I was watching it by myself. I'm really not a hard person to please when it comes to anime most of the time I find a way to like it. If it wasn't for people here pushing the negatives of the show so much, I probably wouldn't know any better. :p

I'm a huge fan of k-on and I would absolutely hate it if toonamigaf went all judgemental of it, as it doesnt fit into the general consensus of our family, k-on is also actually super family friendly, but people probably dont know this either

Amikami

Banned
Kinda opposite for me, same situation as you, kept watching naruto after toonami died, but the thing is I only watched cartoon network FOR naruto, all the western cartoons I grew up with were ending, and I was losing interest in the channel and at the time my interest in japanese animation grew, problem was I didnt have internet until 2007-2008 somewhere around there, didnt get internet(for the second time) until highschool, after I did however, I just binged on nothing but anime, binged on it so much infact I lost interest in it twice

Sounds like a lot of anime lol. Anime binges were never something I could do for some reason, even after planning to, I just couldn't manage it and my resolve would break. Now manga is a different story. Lol, I remember when I just couldn't take Naruto filler hell anymore and I just said Fuck it. Its kinda of a photographic memory: How unexplainably pissed I was. I wish I can remember what episode had made me so angry. I even mumbled something like:
No wonder Sasuke left this shit behind!
. Lol but anyway, I went straight to the last chapters of part 1 and into Shippuden. Most fun I've had. 3 days straight. Still, I've only done this with a few, mostly forgettable series, because back then, I didn't actively keep up with new or interesting manga. Just what I had heard of and thought looked cool. I would like to try this with OP.

Seda

I never 'fully' immerse myself in a show. While watching One Piece, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Big O season 1 (just to be caught up) I was playing a game at the same time. Even when I watched through FMA years back, I'm certain I 'watched' it (or at least a large part of it) by having it on in the background as I did something else.

As for stuff like K-On, I probably wouldn't like it at all, but that's more a taste thing than show quality. Slice of life would probably bore me to death.

foxuzamaki

Sounds like a lot of anime lol. Anime binges were never something I could do for some reason, even after planning to, I just couldn't manage it and my resolve would break. Now manga is a different story. Lol, I remember when I just couldn't take Naruto filler hell anymore and I just said Fuck it. Its kinda of a photographic memory: How unexplainably pissed I was. I wish I can remember what episode had made me so angry. I even mumbled something like:
No wonder Sasuke left this shit behind!
. Lol but anyway, I went straight to the last chapters of part 1 and into Shippuden. Most fun I've had. 3 days straight. Still, I've only done this with a few, mostly forgettable series, because back then, I didn't actively keep up with new or interesting manga. Just what I had heard of and thought looked cool. I would like to try this with OP.

I spoiled the cannon ending of naruto part 1 for myself back in the day, I was over my cousin house and looking up naruto stuff on youtube, then all of a sudden im looking at a
naruto vs sasuke fight
with super hype animation, fucking blew my mind, I fell into deep naruto fanboyism after that lol, it didnt help that around the time I found out about that really hype event, shippuden was starting, and I exploded, fucking TIMESKIPS I couldnt take it, I just kept spoiling it all for myself lol

Amikami

Banned
I spoiled the cannon ending of naruto part 1 for myself back in the day, I was over my cousin house and looking up naruto stuff on youtube, then all of a sudden im looking at a
naruto vs sasuke fight
with super hype animation, fucking blew my mind, I fell into deep naruto fanboyism after that lol, it didnt help that around the time I found out about that really hype event, shippuden was starting, and I exploded, fucking TIMESKIPS I couldnt take it, I just kept spoiling it all for myself lol

Heh. I admit. I spoiled myself on that one too, though I knew the event itself was going to happen. I spoiled that part but it was the most awesome moment ever. Fuck! Gaf will never be able to watch that together! And finding out about Shippuden was hype indeed. That entire season was the best thing about part one and that climax...! Lots of feels and memories right now.

foxuzamaki

Heh. I admit. I spoiled myself on that one too, though I knew the event itself was going to happen. I spoiled that part but it was the most awesome moment ever. Fuck! Gaf will never be able to watch that together! And finding out about Shippuden was hype indeed. That entire season was the best thing about part one and that climax...! Lots of feels and memories right now.

I know those feels and memories.

bigkrev

My totally uneducated opinion of K-on is that it is pandering moe crap that it's fans revere as a great show for reasons other than moe pandering.

Raxus

This week in manga:

Naruto:
TNJ TRANSCENDS TIME AND SPACE!

Bleach:
Moustache...

One Piece:
Flashback not sad enough...Straw Hat potential falling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom