• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is the OT 7 results in case you were wondering.

6l6LRVy.png

Gucci being banned is what results in most of the difference.

Amikami

Banned
I wish I could post enough to make the top Toonami posters, but I don't have enough chops to keep up with some of the weekday discussion.

It's....informative at times, though.

I hardly participate in weekday discussion myself. I should be doing so a bit more because I'm on vacation from classes, but most weeks won't see more than 10 post from me on the weekdays. 99% of my toonami post happen Saturday night/Sunday morning and I leave right after clone wars. I pack in a good 70-100 post during those few hours though.

You see, I'm like a cheetah. I don't run often or for long, but when I do run...

Lockon

Best and worst night last night...Fun reaction posts during movie and my power went out for 30 min. during movie. Also, best granny badass. ;_;

Ordered Blu-ray of Summer Wars, will watch once it arrive.

"....no biggie, but we'll be running a little Bebop marathon of our favorite eps after the Trigun movie. Just a lil prep for Space Dandy."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ALWFO'A[
HFR2a;wiepufLIUBWEIAFUBIUqlgbuiQP;FWQ

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
poor gman lol, dont worry im kinda over bebop aswell, seen it way too many times in my lifetime, and while I think its very good, I didnt fall inlove with it like everybody else

RIP in peace GMN

They better have mushroom samba in the marathon, and ballad of fallen angels, as long as I have those two they can marathon jar jar clone wars for all I care

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Bops Be Bops Be Bops. So, a Night of Vash and Spike, eh? Sounds kinda like a dream Toonami...

Spike_vs_Vash.jpg

I always hate how fanartist just set Vash as a gunman... I saw a piece at local con once that had Spike with the expected Gun to Vash's face... but Vash returned the favor by holding a SPICEY STEWED DO'NUT up at Spike. This... this was the true Stampede, the Humanoid Typhon of legend!

subverting expectations is kind of meaningless when that just means it results in odd pacing. it doesn't necessarily have to boil down to a fight, but it needs to be more impressive than those fight scenes. and the card game did not accomplish this.

Semi 1-on-1 VS the entire world worth of players VS super A.I., thematically, it works for me. And then the last ditch gamble to wipe ones enemies off the face of the Earth by dropping a space colony on them... even in retrospect, it doesn't let me down.

If this was a TV anime, and the fight got the "A team" treatment, and then the Hanafuda game + Final Gambit received some lame secondary toss in animation, with loads of air time and episode buildup in between, I think I'd feel as you do. But I feel more like I did at the end of Dead Rising 1, when I didn't expect "Overtime Mode".

I got everything I wanted, it all looked like it was ending well... And then I got smacked with an Omake! Like... like a panda with a mean face, or like sandals with pressure points drawn on them, or the smell of a blackboard eraser, or a Sunday morning where you wake up and it's raining. Well, I liked it more than hard bread...

Semi 1-on-1 VS the entire world worth of players VS super A.I., thematically, it works for me. And then the last ditch gamble to wipe ones enemies off the face of the Earth by dropping a space colony on them... even in retrospect, it doesn't let me down.

If this was a TV anime, and the fight got the "A team" treatment, and then the Hanafuda game + Final Gambit received some lame secondary toss in animation, with loads of air time and episode buildup in between, I think I'd feel as you do. But I feel more like I did at the end of Dead Rising 1, when I didn't expect "Overtime Mode".

I got everything I wanted, it all looked like it was ending well... And then I got smacked with an Omake! Like... like a panda with a mean face, or like sandals with pressure points drawn on them, or the smell of a blackboard eraser, or a Sunday morning where you wake up and it's raining. Well, I liked it more than hard bread...

don't really see how this changes anything i said, but....ok?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
don't really see how this changes anything i said, but....ok?

You said you thought it had an odd pacing, in part because the ultimate showdown let you down, and also because all the hints given along the way didn't soften the blow of what eventually happened. I'm saying... why, though? One can achieve making something impressive in more ways than simply having a fight, or making something greater in a 1-to-1 way.

The stakes raised, the number of participants reached absurdity, and the expression of the actual actions on screen became closer to the actual heart of the movie.

It might be weird on first blush, but I think the oddity of it wears down with further inspection, leading up to seeing it all as a rather fitting ending to the tale.
The sneaky FLCL quote was just good fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd like to think Spike would begin by completely dominating a deftly-dodging Vash. But since Spike has done the same many a time, he'd catch on to the ruse pretty swiftly.

Vash doesn't really have it in him to just KILL someone through, so certain situations would clearly see Spike having the will to end things at any cost. If it were life-or-death, Spike would be the clear victor.

However, if the situation were all in good fun, Vash's unnatural skill and insane durability would basically make him a superior match to Spike in nearly every way. Which means we'd end up in an even worse version of the Cowboy Andy situation.

Crocodile

A) A lot of people here don't seem to be sure sure how long Badlands Rumble is but have the DVD or access to the film on Netflix. Is it too much to ask for someone to watch the movie and learn how long it actually is?

B) GMN, is there like an actual reason you hate Bebop or is it just because its been on the air so much? I'm pretty sure you're being only half (or even less ) serious but the reaction is still weird :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tainted Doughnuts is an AMV that could quite possibly be older than some of the people watching Toonami! I first saw it in early 2002.

EDIT: I loaded Badlands Rumble on Netflix and people with the Blu-Ray confirmed it, it has a run time of 90 minutes and 35 seconds.

A) A lot of people here don't seem to be sure sure how long Badlands Rumble is but have the DVD or access to the film on Netflix. Is it too much to ask for someone to watch the movie and learn how long it actually is?

B) GMN, is there like an actual reason you hate Bebop or is it just because its been on the air so much? I'm pretty sure you're being only half (or even less ) serious but the reaction is still weird :/

Its 90 minutes, the confusion comes from the blu ray listing all the special features and such as a run time on the box and a few websites mistaking the special features run time with the film run time.

Gmn hates cause it airs so much, he counted every time every episode has aired on toonami/adult swim

You said you thought it had an odd pacing, in part because the ultimate showdown let you down, and also because all the hints given along the way didn't soften the blow of what eventually happened. I'm saying... why, though? One can achieve making something impressive in more ways than simply having a fight, or making something greater in a 1-to-1 way.

The stakes raised, the number of participants reached absurdity, and the expression of the actual actions on screen became closer to the actual heart of the movie.

It might be weird on first blush, but I think the oddity of it wears down with further inspection, leading up to seeing it all as a rather fitting ending to the tale.
The sneaky FLCL quote was just good fun.

because bigger is not necessarily more impressive. there's also the whole concept brushing a little too close against the Power of Friendship as well and seeming a little hokey in the process.

Crocodile said:

it's aired far too many damn times. i like the show, but it's become an eyesore.

also that wasn't me who counted it up, Bass. but here it is again:

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/Cowboy-Bebop-on-adult-swim/m-p/68976859#M116260

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/Cowboy-Bebop-on-adult-swim/m-p/68976859#M116260

so let's see, this means.....

Ballad of Fallen Angels - aired 52 times already
Jupiter Jazz - each aired 44 times already
Mushroom Samba - aired 44 times already
The Real Folk Blues 1 - aired 49 times already
The Real Folk Blues 2 - aired 48 times already
An entire year of Ballad of Fallen Angels

They've basically merged in my mind but you're right.
I know that feel, man.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
subverting expectations is kind of meaningless when that just means it results in odd pacing. it doesn't necessarily have to boil down to a fight, but it needs to be more impressive than those fight scenes. and the card game did not accomplish this.

I dont think the fight was any worse than something you see in medaka box or hunter x hunter

I dont think the fight was any worse than something you see in medaka box or hunter x hunter

well, other than Power of Friendship and stuff the card game is fine. it's just not as good as what came before. it's like if Tetsuo's transformation into a hideous monster came before his walk through the city (i know this would make no sense story-wise, but pretend it does.)

BassForever said:
Are these the confirmed 5 episodes? If so then YEEEESSSSS!

well, that's what Seda posted earlier from Zap2It. but this is because Trigun is currently listed as running until 3am, so i guess we'll have to wait and see.

bigkrev

I mentioned this on twitter, but it would probably be cool if we created a master list in this thread of ToonamiGaffer's GOTY lists. We can just direct link to our list post in the main GOTY thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom