• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So follow up the fight with.. the fight Part 2? It would have overstayed it's welcome then, and boiled down to every other "this is the only way to resolve issues!" battle ever in anime.

I just feel like it does a disservice to the rest of the narrative to take the Hanafuda match as simply bets and watching her play. Granny's "This is WAR!" phonecall perfectly set the case that wars were not just fought through physical arms, but by connections, relationships, and the support of the people. Something a program could never hope to replicate, no matter how advanced the A.I.

Is there really any theme that hasn't been done to death? What I ask of my stories is to make the players memorable, and to make the conclusion a sensible part of the tale presented. SW's characters were better than most, and the roads they took to reach their destination were constantly surprising / refreshing. I didn't get that feeling of mostly watching simply for the animation quality, like I did with Akira.

or simply end it with that fight, on some kind of larger scale or with incorporating other elements into it. i already said the movie felt kind of drawn out.

but that's what the Hanafuda match was. it didn't communicate that feeling of teamwork and connection to even half the degree the fight did.

it's not even the theme so much as how that theme was handled, with large numbers of people deciding to lend a character their strength in one way or another. it's an oddly specific type of scene for how often it's been done.

well, not just the highlighted Brain Scratch but everything i cut out of the post :p

I only saw the bolded part lol

As I said after the top 4 the rest of the list gets pretty gray, my opinion on the episodes fluxes greatly depending on my mood. Black Dog Serenade is imo the best Jett episode, Bohemian Rhapsody is a great Ed episode, and Sympathy for the Devil is a enjoyably dark and morbid episode with a great final scene between Spike and the villain.

Hard luck woman is my least favorite Fay episode which has a great set up/flash back but a pretty lame pay off at the end. Ganymede Elegy has the same issue of great set up with a poor pay off. Wild Horses I always found to be a boring episode even if the old guy was entertaining the plot with the smugglers that faye/jett took part in was meh and the baseball kid annoyed me.

I only saw the bolded part lol

As I said after the top 4 the rest of the list gets pretty gray, my opinion on the episodes fluxes greatly depending on my mood. Black Dog Serenade is imo the best Jett episode, Bohemian Rhapsody is a great Ed episode, and Sympathy for the Devil is a enjoyably dark and morbid episode with a great final scene between Spike and the villain.

Hard luck woman is my least favorite Fay episode which has a great set up/flash back but a pretty lame pay off at the end. Ganymede Elegy has the same issue of great set up with a poor pay off. Wild Horses I always found to be a boring episode even if the old guy was entertaining the plot with the smugglers that faye/jett took part in was meh and the baseball kid annoyed me.

i thought Sympathy for the Devil was convoluted for no apparent reason, which is a problem with a couple of Bebop episodes (including the movie). Black Dog seemed to sprinkle Jet's past in randomly and to almost no effect, though it's a decent suspense episode. Bohemian Rhapsody i only really liked for the setting at the end.

isn't the pay-off for Hard Luck Woman supposed to be kinda lame? Ganymede Elegy does far and away the best job of developing Jet as a character which culminates in his acceptance of the other man, more or less, and it's pretty cool how the crew ends up kind of like villains. Wild Horses i would probably have to watch again but i really liked the setting, characters, and concept of that one.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In the end a fight between two characters in different universes should be bases upon skill and ability and Vash is in another league compared to Spike. A straight up fight would probably end in a few seconds with Vash knocking Spike out or disarming him.

I like the context of them both going after a bounty or something. That's what I think of when it comes to them both facing off, not just a fight-for-sake-of-fight.

I guess I can't get past the idea of Wolfwood VS Vash, basically. There's no reason almost ANYONE *should* be able to put up a decent fight VS Vash, but while the opponent is fighting simply "The Humanoid Typhoon", Vash is fighting your backstory, his own moral code, the fact he once saw you avoid driving over Kuroneko in your one act of kindness EVER in life, etc, etc.

I think I'd be more interested in seeing the entirety of the Bebop gang VS Vash. Ed would probably hack, and make Spike's backstory into the biggest pity party ever envisioned, and Vash would probably go for 40 years faking his own death, getting captured, and taking bullets just to make sure this poor, poor, POOR soul never has to go through pain again.

I don't think Vash would make it in the world of FMA.

i thought Sympathy for the Devil was convoluted for no apparent reason, which is a problem with a couple of Bebop episodes (including the movie). Black Dog seemed to sprinkle Jet's past in randomly and to almost no effect, though it's a decent suspense episode. Bohemian Rhapsody i only really liked for the setting at the end.

isn't the pay-off for Hard Luck Woman supposed to be kinda lame? Ganymede Elegy does far and away the best job of developing Jet as a character which culminates in his acceptance of the other man, more or less, and it's pretty cool how the crew ends up kind of like villains. Wild Horses i would probably have to watch again but i really liked the setting, characters, and concept of that one.

I don't care about some random women in Jett's past that's never been mentioned before or after, where as his cyber arm was always a mystery that finally got explained.

It's not the reveal of the guy being a fat con artist that's bad, it's the "we tried to con you again" in the present that made me roll my eyes. Again it's really not that bad of an episode I just had to put something there and as I said it's my least favorite.

Imo the only really bad episodes of bebop are boogie woogie and cowboy andy. Other then those two at the bottom and the four I mentioned earlier at the top my list can be pretty in flux. Trying to pick my least favorite or "bottom 5" may be harder then a top 10 just because so many episodes are great.

I don't care about some random women in Jett's past that's never been mentioned before or after, where as his cyber arm was always a mystery that finally got explained.

It's not the reveal of the guy being a fat con artist that's bad, it's the "we tried to con you again" in the present that made me roll my eyes. Again it's really not that bad of an episode I just had to put something there and as I said it's my least favorite.

Imo the only really bad episodes of bebop are boogie woogie and cowboy andy. Other then those two at the bottom and the four I mentioned earlier at the top my list can be pretty in flux. Trying to pick my least favorite or "bottom 5" may be harder then a top 10 just because so many episodes are great.

the point of the woman was to show Jet's stubborn and overbearing personality, as well as provide a glimpse at what his past was like. i don't think "this is the guy who made Jet lose his arm" affected the episode in any way at all, really. you remove that and Black Dog is a standard episode that loses points from me for cheaply throwing in Jet's past to try to raise the stakes.

my memory's a little fuzzy. you mean the con man managing to escape with some people posing as the police?

i guess we know BassForever doesn't appreciate good comedy if he hates Cowboy Andy in addition to Hughes :p (i never saw the whole "HE'S JUST LIKE YOU" thing that they were going on about, either.) Boogie Woogie Feng Shui's creep factor is the main thing weighing it down; everything else is at least ok, if underdeveloped. so for that reason i'd say my least favorite is Jamming with Edward, which is pretty boring. though Boogie Woogie is probably a close second.

Branduil

Ganymede Elegy is great. It's not about Jett's ex, it's about Jett's character traits, his stubborn idealism and naiveté that led to her leaving him.

Edit: GMN basically said the same thing I was trying to say.

Ganymede Elegy is great. It's not about Jett's ex, it's about Jett's character traits, his stubborn idealism and naiveté that led to her leaving him.

Or her shallowness as a person to leave a guy who has things together for a clown who'd rather fuck around and be a very unstable element... Yeah this episode has always personally impacted me so I'll just drop it there

Also any episode focusing on Ed is a fantastic episode GMN.

LOLDSFAN

So I looked up Koi-Koi on Wikipedia. Apparently it was evident in Naruto too lol.

InoShikaCho is a creature in the anime Dragon Ball, based on the game of Koi-Koi. Inspired by the card combination of the same name, InoShikaCho is part boar, part deer, and part butterfly.

In the anime Kamichu!, Ino, Shika, and Chou are the three tiny spirits that the God Association sends to Yurie as assistants. Their names are puns, as they were given by Yurie for unrelated reasons but correspond to the animals that they resemble, as well as being a card combination.

Even in the anime Ranma 1/2 in the episode no. 124 & 152 Inoshikacho is shown as rivals from the martial arts tea school.

Another reference is team 10 from Naruto consisting of the members Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara, and Choji Akimichi, as well as the team formed by their respective fathers (and the rest of their families), Inoichi Yamanka, Shikaku Nara, and Chouza Akimichi. The combination is referred to as the InoShikaCho formation.

In the popular 2009 Japanese animated movie Summer Wars, Hanafuda Koi-Koi is played by all members of the Jinnouchi clan, who were taught the game by the head of the clan, Sakae. The game is featured extensively in the movie, especially during the climax.

Or her shallowness as a person to leave a guy who has things together for a clown who'd rather fuck around and be a very unstable element... Yeah this episode has always personally impacted me so I'll just drop it there

well Jet was basically running her life. he was overly controlling, and that drove her away. yeah, the other guy was a clown, but that was the point. Jet drove her to the opposite end of the spectrum, to a guy that was dependent on her. she wanted to be allowed to make dangerous decisions, sort of like a rebellious teenager, and while that does make her kind of a shitty character it says a hell of a lot about Jet.

bleh. Mushroom Samba is awesome, but Jamming with Edward isn't even very funny and it has a boring central plot. also Hard Luck Woman is good for the girls leaving and that's about it :p

And to your comment about me not liking comedy, that's simply not true, I love good comedy which is why I'm watching SAO for the third time with everyone :)

And to your comment about me not liking comedy, that's simply not true, I love good comedy which is why I'm watching SAO for the third time with everyone :)

but Hughes

tumblr_mlgy51JgE61qdeg0do1_500.jpg

Seda

The two episodes that stick out to me as less enjoyable than the rest are Boogie Woogie Feng Shui and Brain Scratch. For now I'll just say there aren't any moments or dialogues in those episodes that gel with me, and I simply find myself uninterested when watching those episodes.

Branduil

Well no one ever said she was a smart person, as far as I know. But the point is that Jett really didn't have things together, which we also see in Black Dog Serenade. Jett thought he had everything together, but that's because he viewed the world through an idealistic lens which left him unable to actually see how things really were. That's why he was so blindsided when she left him, and why he never realized he'd been set up.

And even then, it wouldn't have done any good. It really didn't matter if he 'fell' for it or not.

He fought off Lust and was shown to be fast enough he probably could have startled Envy and fought the gun away. It's clearly established the only reason he was killed is because he couldn't hurt the image of his wife.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He fought off Lust and was shown to be fast enough he probably could have startled Envy and fought the gun away. It's clearly established the only reason he was killed is because he couldn't hurt the image of his wife.

You seem to forget that lost stabbed him and he was already wounded, that there was no way he could get away from envy, who was more agile and quicker then lust anyways.
Infact he pretty much knew he was going to die, he was just trying to get the phonecall in before that happened

bass leveling up in the heartless points again

I already maxed out my dark side meter thanks to the reairing of that sin against humanity kickheart.

You seem to forget that lost stabbed him and he was already wounded, that there was no way he could get away from envy, who was more agile and quicker then lust anyways.

It was also in the middle of central and the homonculi couldn't risk killing him in a way that didn't look like natural murder. A gunshot or two from a knocked away gun would draw attention.

Raxus should get a tag for his twitchy finger before I get one for hating Hughes, it's not even my most controversial opinion in toonami gaf lol

Seda

I don't think I have a controversial opinion about anything Toonami related.

I guess that I found Samurai Seven to be somewhat enjoyable?

Anyways, Tag Requests aren't made very often by mods in general, so I don't want to go in requesting tags overly frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom