• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'd like to think Spike would begin by completely dominating a deftly-dodging Vash. But since Spike has done the same many a time, he'd catch on to the ruse pretty swiftly.

Vash doesn't really have it in him to just KILL someone through, so certain situations would clearly see Spike having the will to end things at any cost. If it were life-or-death, Spike would be the clear victor.

However, if the situation were all in good fun, Vash's unnatural skill and insane durability would basically make him a superior match to Spike in nearly every way. Which means we'd end up in an even worse version of the Cowboy Andy situation.

Vash who wouldnt kill anyone, has in the show multiple times shown to disable someone from using their guns by shooting in certain spots of the body

Levyne

Banned
I mentioned this on twitter, but it would probably be cool if we created a master list in this thread of ToonamiGaffer's GOTY lists. We can just direct link to our list post in the main GOTY thread.

I'll probably have time to kill at work on monday so I'l definitely write up a list.

Don't tell my boss.

Vash who wouldnt kill anyone, has in the show multiple times shown to disable someone from using their guns by shooting in certain spots of the body

Yeah SAB I'm not sure why you think Spike has any chance against Vash. Regardless of how you matched them up ie in their prime, beginning of series, end of series, going all out 100% Vash is always clearly superior.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
because bigger is not necessarily more impressive. there's also the whole concept brushing a little too close against the Power of Friendship as well and seeming a little hokey in the process.

Agreed on the first part, but what better ending would have supported the movies themes as well? The movie even made the most unlikable guy at the party relatable by the end. It defiantly pushed a hard "Power of Family overcomes ALL!" theme, but supported it with enough layers and depth as to not feel groundlessly cheesy.

Things normally start to seem hokey to me when they just don't fit the narrative, universe, or presented expectations. Like an ending that betrays it's own narrative, because "That's what the kids like!", or changes the stakes sloppily at the last minute, just to manufacture non- actually, I think I can just say that Akira's ending was pretty hokey to me, come to think of it. Like a hollow ending to a student artfilm. "It's all deep, look'it, flashing lights!"

Agreed on the first part, but what better ending would have supported the movies themes as well? The movie even made the most unlikable guy at the party relatable by the end. It defiantly pushed a hard "Power of Family overcomes ALL!" theme, but supported it with enough layers and depth as to not feel groundlessly cheesy.

Things normally start to seem hokey to me when they just don't fit the narrative, universe, or presented expectations. Like an ending that betrays it's own narrative, because "That's what the kids like!", or changes the stakes sloppily at the last minute, just to manufacture non- actually, I think I can just say that Akira's ending was pretty hokey to me, come to think of it. Like a hollow ending to a student artfilm. "It's all deep, look'it, flashing lights!"

something like the fight? the fight actually managed to create a sense of teamwork between the characters, with all of them working together to craft some kind of solution. the card game boiled down to "we all bet our accounts and now we're gonna watch her play!", while substituting scale for the impressive animation and direction of the fight.

it seemed hokey because it's a theme that's been revisited time and time again. the only thing Summer Wars really added to it was that it didn't really come off as deus ex machina.

BassForever said:
I mean that's the 6 I'd pick if I had to make a marathon of Bebop episodes, only notable exception is Pierre le Fou.

eh. i'd substitute Pierrot le Fou and either Cowboy Funk or Toys in the Attic or Asteroid Blues for Jupiter Jazz.

We're no longer friends, Bass.

I thought that happened after my comments about how I found Hughes to be annoying?

Andy is a very annoying character and I never saw the "there exactly alike" comparisons everyone in the episode makes.

eh. i'd substitute Pierrot le Fou and either Cowboy Funk or Toys in the Attic or Asteroid Blues for Jupiter Jazz.

While Jupiter Jazz is rather low on my list of Bebop episodes, I'd include it in a 6 episode marathon as part of the Vicious/main story line as it connect arguably the two/three best episodes in the series (ballad and folk blues) so it kind if has to be there.

While Jupiter Jazz is rather low on my list of Bebop episodes, I'd include it in a 6 episode marathon as part of the Vicious/main story line as it connect arguably the two/three best episodes in the series (ballad and folk blues) so it kind if has to be there.

yeah. but at this point it's been on so many times and it's kind of throwing you right in the story anyway that i don't think skipping Jupiter Jazz is too huge of a deal. especially since it's not terribly high on my list of "must-see" Bebop episodes (i still like it a lot, but there's a ton i like more)

Seda

Ah so the Bebop marathon is a thing.

Basically all the Bebop episodes are amazing, my favorite is probably Speak like a Child.

yeah. but at this point it's been on so many times and it's kind of throwing you right in the story anyway that i don't think skipping Jupiter Jazz is too huge of a deal. especially since it's not terribly high on my list of "must-see" Bebop episodes (i still like it a lot, but there's a ton i like more)

True, but really I can't think of another episode I'd want to watch besides pierre le fou that they aren't showing. All the Fey and Jet story episodes (minus boogie woogie fung shit) only really work if they're all seen. The first episode would be a decent choice I guess, along with maybe toys in the attic (that's the psuedo horror episode correct).

anyway, might as well do this:

1. Pierrot le Fou
2. Ballad of Fallen Angels
3. The Real Folk Blues
4. Asteroid Blues
5. Mushroom Samba
6. Ganymede Elegy
7. Toys in the Attic
8. My Funny Valentine
9. Jupiter Jazz
10. Wild Horses

BassForever said:
True, but really I can't think of another episode I'd want to watch besides pierre le fou that they aren't showing. All the Fey and Jet story episodes (minus boogie woogie fung shit) only really work if they're all seen. The first episode would be a decent choice I guess, along with maybe toys in the attic (that's the psuedo horror episode correct).

i dunno. for Jet episodes Ganymede Elegy stands fine on its own; Black Dog Serenade does too but it's just kind of....there. i agree about Faye episodes. i think Mushroom Samba needs some company as far as "weird" episodes go, so i'd say either Cowboy Funk or Toys in the Attic though i would prefer the first episode.

Seda

I just realized that I'll be home for this next weekend and possibly the one after that.

I might be able to jump in here during Toonami but it'll be more sporadic, if I show up at all.

I want to watch Trigun for sure though (since I haven't seen it).

Toonami is like the most powerful thread over here in the communities. Just look how many threads we've been in just a little over a year and compare that to others like the manga thread. And we're only getting faster at getting through them.
The power of NeoGAF's best community.
ToonamiGAF is bestGAF.
toonamigaf is getting too powerful for its own good.
Secret of TOONAMI-GAF: For every 1 post about TOONAMI post 20 having nothing to do about TOONAMI, or loosely rumored to be on TOONAMI. Or any random anime.

Truth.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You'd think that but honestly it only takes a few shows worth of toonami posting or half a movie to outstrip the posts in the other six and 3/4s of a day, unless something big is announced.

1. Ballad of Fallen Angels
2. Real Folk Blues
3. Mushroom Samba
4. Pierre Le Fou
5. Speak Like A Child
6. Toys in the Attic
7. Asteroid Blues
8. Bohemian Rhapsody
9. Sympathy for the Devil
10. Black Dog Serenade

Top 4 are absolute, after that it gets kind of flux, had a hard time picking between Black Dog Serenade and Brain Scratch at 10

Bottom 5 (5 being my least favorite)

1. Hard Luck Woman
2. Wild Horses
3. Ganymede Elegy
4. Cowboy Funk
5. Boogie Woogie Fung Shit

HLW is only in the bottom 5 cause Edward leaves in it :'(

8. Bohemian Rhapsody
9. Sympathy for the Devil
10. Black Dog Serenade

Top 4 are absolute, after that it gets kind of flux, had a hard time picking between Black Dog Serenade and Brain Scratch at 10

Bottom 5 (5 being my least favorite)

1. Hard Luck Woman
2. Wild Horses
3. Ganymede Elegy

post-29112-Bryan-Cranston-speechless-gif-N4t3.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah, but he won't even wound you, if you don't deserve it. I just don't think Spike would come off as someone that Vash would deem he has to go that far with. Knives would, easily, but not Vash.

Yeah SAB I'm not sure why you think Spike has any chance against Vash. Regardless of how you matched them up ie in their prime, beginning of series, end of series, going all out 100% Vash is always clearly superior.

It just matters what they're fighting for. Vash has no pride, and let plenty of people "win" things they had no business winning. He wants to see people happy, more than proving his own thoughts and ways. Blame him for the destruction of a town, say he killed everyone in your favorite Month-themed district, he'll go along with it, as long as it means people can live in peace with each other.

No matter how many time I watch Trigun, read the Manga, or read of "VS" fanfics about him, he's just one of few action anime lead characters that really is almost everything BEFORE being a fighter. While most heroes have a "rage mode" that'll kick in to give them the desperation to survive... Vash's exist as Knives. I always feel the fate of Wolfwood is flat proof that Vash wouldn't be able to keep up his ways, if he wasn't an exceptional being.

Heck, the Gun-Ho-Guns had to off themselves most of the time, because Vash woulda set them free if it were up to him.

something like the fight? the fight actually managed to create a sense of teamwork between the characters, with all of them working together to craft some kind of solution. the card game boiled down to "we all bet our accounts and now we're gonna watch her play!", while substituting scale for the impressive animation and direction of the fight.

So follow up the fight with.. the fight Part 2? It would have overstayed it's welcome then, and boiled down to every other "this is the only way to resolve issues!" battle ever in anime.

I just feel like it does a disservice to the rest of the narrative to take the Hanafuda match as simply bets and watching her play. Granny's "This is WAR!" phonecall perfectly set the case that wars were not just fought through physical arms, but by connections, relationships, and the support of the people. Something a program could never hope to replicate, no matter how advanced the A.I.

it seemed hokey because it's a theme that's been revisited time and time again. the only thing Summer Wars really added to it was that it didn't really come off as deus ex machina.

Is there really any theme that hasn't been done to death? What I ask of my stories is to make the players memorable, and to make the conclusion a sensible part of the tale presented. SW's characters were better than most, and the roads they took to reach their destination were constantly surprising / refreshing. I didn't get that feeling of mostly watching simply for the animation quality, like I did with Akira.

The majority of posts by far are live reaction-type posts during the block.

Yea, also if someone doesn't care about the non-during the block stuff, i can't comprehend why its so hard to *not* visit the thread during the non-during the block stuff.

Also, My game of the year list would be mostly me lamenting about how I "didn't finish this game but it seemed pretty good so far"

Ed and Ein are my favorite characters, and Brain Scratch is one of the few episodes of Bebop where the entire crew gets to play a part in taking down the bad guy. Also as someone who is religious I find it interesting the idea of finding god in a virtual nirvana.

Yeah, but he won't even wound you, if you don't deserve it. I just don't think Spike would come off as someone that Vash would deem he has to go that far with. Knives would, easily, but not Vash.

It just matters what they're fighting for. Vash has no pride, and let plenty of people "win" things they had no business winning. He wants to see people happy, more than proving his own thoughts and ways. Blame him for the destruction of a town, say he killed everyone in your favorite Month-themed district, he'll go along with it, as long as it means people can live in peace with each other.

No matter how many time I watch Trigun, read the Manga, or read of "VS" fanfics about him, he's just one of few action anime lead characters that really is almost everything BEFORE being a fighter. While most heroes have a "rage mode" that'll kick in to give them the desperation to survive... Vash's exist as Knives. I always feel the fate of Wolfwood is flat proof that Vash wouldn't be able to keep up his ways, if he wasn't an exceptional being.

Heck, the Gun-Ho-Guns had to off themselves most of the time, because Vash woulda set them free if it were up to him.

So follow up the fight with.. the fight Part 2? It would have overstayed it's welcome then, and boiled down to every other "this is the only way to resolve issues!" battle ever in anime.

I just feel like it does a disservice to the rest of the narrative to take the Hanafuda match as simply bets and watching her play. Granny's "This is WAR!" phonecall perfectly set the case that wars were not just fought through physical arms, but by connections, relationships, and the support of the people. Something a program could never hope to replicate, no matter how advanced the A.I.

Is there really any theme that hasn't been done to death? What I ask of my stories is to make the players memorable, and to make the conclusion a sensible part of the tale presented. SW's characters were better than most, and the roads they took to reach their destination were constantly surprising / refreshing. I didn't get that feeling of mostly watching simply for the animation quality, like I did with Akira.

Spike would be lucky if he could even hit Vash with a bullet, your point seems to be that Vash wouldn't kill Spike and I agree he wouldn't. By your statements the battle would be a draw as Spike would never be able to capture/collect the bounty on Vash and at best Vash would throw the match and escape or shenaigans.

What I'm saying just based upon ability alone, Spike is basically a normal human with good marksmanship, martial arts, and stamina, Vash is a plant with far superior marksmanship, stamina, and crazy speed. Spike only wins if Vash throws the match or intentionally loses which would all be set up by the scenario of them meeting. Is Spike going after the bounty on Vash? Does Spike go after another bounty who's innocent and Vash protects them?

In the end a fight between two characters in different universes should be bases upon skill and ability and Vash is in another league compared to Spike. A straight up fight would probably end in a few seconds with Vash knocking Spike out or disarming him.

LOLDSFAN

"....no biggie, but we'll be running a little Bebop marathon of our favorite eps after the Trigun movie. Just a lil prep for Space Dandy."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ALWFO'A[
HFR2a;wiepufLIUBWEIAFUBIUqlgbuiQP;FWQ

Huehuehue.

Also DeMarco seemed a little mad about the leak. Or at least the guy on Twitter who tried to get RT's or something.

Ed and Ein are my favorite characters, and Brain Scratch is one of the few episodes of Bebop where the entire crew gets to play a part in taking down the bad guy. Also as someone who is religious I find it interesting the idea of finding god in a virtual nirvana.

well, not just the highlighted Brain Scratch but everything i cut out of the post :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom