• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

cntr

Banned
I get tired of melodrama pretty quickly and One Piece if often dripping with it. Even if its earned melodrama after a while it tends to get repetitive and can rob later moments of their impact when characters tend to over react to every emotional event, big or small.
Fair. One Piece does get a bit melodramatic sometimes, even for me.

That said, I think Oda mostly does a good job at distinguishing between jokesy overreactions and proper reactions. ymmv.

Jarate

Banned
Is toonamigaf surprisingly one of the most successful subcommunity!

I'm a pizza delivery guy so I bring down the average wage ;-;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Having expensive taste in furniture is the real reason I never plan to move again. Shit is heavy. My sister buys this Ikea crap for her kids and I can move most of it one handed, meanwhile I need a team lift for some of these love seats, let alone couches, china cabinets, et al. I'm just glad I've never been into grandfather clocks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I had a job for several years where I didn't need to own a car or rent an apartment, it was all provided by the job as well as decent health insurance. So I basically lived very frugally and saved up unlike some of my coworkers who wasted tons of money partying, gambling or on other vices. Not that I didn't have a good time but I was pretty smart about this and it was only in my mid twenties. Luckily I was able to not only pay off my student loans, which weren't huge, but also save up a decent amount that I used towards a house. My situation was pretty unique. That and I have a big dog and wanted her to have a yard.

cntr

Banned
I'm a broke-ass physics student, lol.

if I had to guess, the subcommunities with the most money would be the expensive-ass hobby ones, like warharmmer 40k or gunpla or so

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm a VMI at a tech company in Michigan.
MichiGAF represent.

2 years now working the night shift at the movie theater. Unfortunately, we've hit a lull & things have been slooowwwwww, which sucks since I want to work more hours to afford all the games coming out in Sept. & Oct. along with getting a bunch of b-day gifts (best friend, I'm knocking off $20 for his SNES Mini, gotta figure out what to get my dad, & then his wife the usual nail salon certificate), then I have to tell my dad that I want Amazon or Best Buy gift cards. 4 b-days in Sept. including mine, sheesh.

I gotta work on Thanksgiving (though there's a bonus) & I never had to work on Xmas on account it doesn't fall on a day I normally go in, but if it did, I'd still have to go in, especially since that's a super busy day.

Seda

Ive been pretty lucky, I guess? Throughout high school and college I worked part time jobs (mostly at best buy) and saved as much as I could. I went to undergrad while staying at home (saving a lot of money) and I was basically able to pay my own tuition through work and scholarship and I never needed to take a loan. Then I got into Grad School in a STEM field, meaning university paid me to go to school, so it was basically a job while getting a PhD, although low paying. (As I understand it grad school in a journalism field is much different in BDubs case).

It took me a while to get a job after getting my PhD, but I was able to move in with my brother (Massicot on GAF) for a while with basically no expenditures of my own, so even though I had no income for several months I could mostly sit on my money and even buy some frivolous things. Now I'm in a post-doc position at a national lab, which is pretty well paying but technically temporary, but hopefully can give me good experience in a research field.

So I've basically completed nine years of "college" with no debt. I'm really just winging it in life and seeing what happens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ive been pretty lucky, I guess? Throughout high school and college I worked part time jobs (mostly at best buy) and saved as much as I could. I went to undergrad while staying at home (saving a lot of money) and I was basically able to pay my own tuition through work and scholarship and I never needed to take a loan. Then I got into Grad School in a STEM field, meaning university paid me to go to school, so it was basically a job while getting a PhD, although low paying. (As I understand it grad school in a journalism field is much different in BDubs case).

It took me a while to get a job after getting my PhD, but I was able to move in with my brother (Massicot on GAF) for a while with basically no expenditures of my own, so even though I had no income for several months I could mostly sit on my money and even buy some frivolous things. Now I'm in a post-doc position at a national lab, which is pretty well paying but technically temporary, but hopefully can give me good experience in a research field.

So I've basically completed nine years of "college" with no debt. I'm really just winging it in life and seeing what happens.

I'm doing education, hopefully. It's a little more stable and less annoying. Plus medical. Getting all my ducks in a row this month, gonna have applications in by October 1, and start in Februrary, I hope anyway. Still need to make sure my letters are squared away. Luckily I managed to save up a nice bundle of cash by taking a crappy staff job part-time last year so my loan won't need to be too big.

Raxus

I am cheering you on Seda. My next step is applying for an ICU position and getting a raise. Should ease up the month to month payments so I can have more fun. I am going to have to figure out a way to watch Toonami Live with you guys other than bumming off my parents for the next few months.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I make an extra $300/mo. by going to the plasma center a minute away from me twice a week & sit for about an hour while they take my blood & separate the plasma from it while I browse the internet or watch videos. Been doing this for about 4 years considering a month or so ago, they stated that I've donated over 300 times.

Hard to go back to college when it's hard to schedule classes with the night shift & making sure you don't work less hours when needing to pay for classes + books when already dealing with about $10k in debt/paying $100 per month. Plus the majority of college was just frustration when I think back & realized home life made it more stressful (helping take care of my mom, dealing with her death, helping around the house while taking care of a sister 10 years younger, dealing with the 3 kids of the woman my dad dated who he would eventually marry, etc.), only now the frustration would be "crap, am I working enough hours at work to afford these classes, but not too long to make sure I have the time & energy to actually go to class while doing homework and studying?"

My friend said he noticed I was doing a whole lot better once I had moved out last year since the house now has 5 or 6 people (4 of which are kids in school), 4 dogs, & 5 cats. Simply put, I'm super glad I got out when I did.

cntr

Banned
University's free where I live, thankfully. There's still some messy real life stuff I have to deal with and I'm not sure if I'll be able to go, but I don't have to worry about that kind of debt, at least.

Xe4

Banned
I make an extra $300/mo. by going to the plasma center a minute away from me twice a week & sit for about an hour while they take my blood & separate the plasma from it while I browse the internet or watch videos. Been doing this for about 4 years considering a month or so ago, they stated that I've donated over 300 times.

Hard to go back to college when it's hard to schedule classes with the night shift & making sure you don't work less hours when needing to pay for classes + books when already dealing with about $10k in debt/paying $100 per month. Plus the majority of college was just frustration when I think back & realized home life made it more stressful (helping take care of my mom, dealing with her death, helping around the house while taking care of a sister 10 years younger, dealing with the 3 kids of the woman my dad dated who he would eventually marry, etc.), only now the frustration would be "crap, am I working enough hours at work to afford these classes, but not too long to make sure I have the time & energy to actually go to class while doing homework and studying?"

My friend said he noticed I was doing a whole lot better once I had moved out last year since the house now has 5 or 6 people (4 of which are kids in school), 4 dogs, & 5 cats. Simply put, I'm super glad I got out when I did.

$300/month is basically my rent + utilities every month, haha. Selling my plasma would pay for all but my food every month.

Of course, I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no place to sell my blood.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
College used to be free thanks to financial aid (I went to the community one in town to get the basic stuff taken care of like Math, Science, English, etc.), but then when I switched to the other one in town that let me focus more on actual degrees, I discovered it wasn't enough so I had to start a loan. Also jesus, parking at college would sometimes take 15 minutes of drifting around looking to see if someone would be leaving for an open spot in the afternoon, hated it. Still have about 4 years worth of classes taken

$300/month is basically my rent + utilities every month, haha. Selling my plasma would pay for all but my food every month.

Of course, I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no place to sell my blood.
I'm lucky in that after utility, my rent is just below $400 (when I moved in, it was only $326 + $25/mo for a pet). I make enough where I still try to work a budget out, but I'm never really hurting unless some kind of unexpected crap comes up. I cancelled my cable since I now have to deal with car insurance, but I did the math & my monthly payments only went up about $40.

Do you have that blood type that everyone can use zonic?
I'm pretty sure I'm type A from what I remember (that or O, I only remember my dad & sis have the same type while I was the same as my mom). They just separate the plasma from your blood, then put it back into you once they got enough, the type of blood doesn't seem to matter.

Seda

My financial saving grace is that I'm debt free.

This is a big deal, don;t sell yourself short. I've never had significant debt at all and I think that is really pretty notable. being debt free with no loan payments is huge

I work in the PR department of a state ran college system. I do video editing, recording and photography work. Why do Veelk and CNTR have the most brain intensive fields? Jesus.

Xe4

Banned
I'm a broke-ass physics student, lol.

if I had to guess, the subcommunities with the most money would be the expensive-ass hobby ones, like warharmmer 40k or gunpla or so

LOL, I'm also a broke physics student. But hopefully will be graduating not too much later.

I really don't want to go to grad school. Not yet anyhow.

I'm lucky in that after utility, my rent is just below $400 (when I moved in, it was only $326 + $25/mo for a pet). I make enough where I still try to work a budget out, but I'm never really hurting unless some kind of unexpected crap comes up. I cancelled my cable since I now have to deal with car insurance, but I did the math & my monthly payments only went up about $40.
I've never had cable, which has saved me so much money.
Why people still buy it is beyond me.
The absolute most i have is Sling, which I will dump ASAP once CN/AS has a streaming service.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is a big deal, don;t sell yourself short. I've never had significant debt at all and I think that is really pretty notable. being debt free with no loan payments is huge
Agreed. When I was getting free community college, it felt so nice that I didn't have to worry about funds or debts, especially when I was technically making money back at times selling college books back. I'm lucky in that my debt is nowhere near as bad as others (at the most, I owed about $9,000 & have paid off $1,000 of it, so I've got about 6.75 years left of debt to deal with).

Less monthly payments = more spending money/bigger safety net.

bigkrev

My parents saved money, and when combined with my Bar Mitzvah money I wasn't allowed to touch when I was 13 (I -really- wanted a PS2 and was told I couldn't use any of it), had 90% of my college paid for me. I also had the ability to take summer classes at my local community college for free (My mom was a professor), which I used to take a bunch of GenED courses. Basically, My expenses came down to paying for my textbooks (fuck $300 accounting textbooks!), my 8th semester tuition (paid from money I had earned working over the years) and my lodging/expenses while doing my internship that summer. I worked as a lifeguard all 4 years of college at the campus pool for spending money, and lifeguarded/managed full time each summer back home.

It took me 3 years after graduation to get a "real" job, and I had a long stretch of unemployment from January of 2016 till June of this year. In that time, I worked a few temp jobs, I worked at a call center as well, but literally made more on unemployment than I did at those jobs, working full time. Really happy where I am right now though! Probably applied to 400 jobs in that 18 months, had 30ish different interviews, and ended up doing something I love, and got a 6K raise over my last full-time job, lol

Now that my 90 day prohibation period is up, I'm starting to shop around for an apartment. It's a lot harder than I thought- figuring out being closer to my friends vs major city vs closer to work.

bigkrev

I have zero desire to ever go to Grad school unless I don't have to pay a dime for it, and even then I'm not sure. I love schools and their atmosphere, but I fucking hate classrooms

Chase17

*attempts to catch up*
Outlaw Star 1-2
-Can't believe Gene Starwind defeated Butch. Butch!
-Hilda ripping off her mask was hilarious.
-People brought knives to a taser fight. Oh now they have tasers.
-No guns allowed but large octopus looking machines are all good.

Top Bottom