• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Bleach and Naruto are worse than One Piece, yes, but that's not saying much.
And I'm disappointed in Pudding because she effectively became a joke character instead of, you know, a real villain. And it's pretty obvious the reason Pudding gets 'redeemed' is because she happens to be a cute girl, rather than Oda genuinely thinking that it'd be more interesting. cf., Reiju, Hancock, Baby 5, others.

It's saying a lot because Nami or Robin have never had the integrity of her character shattered and trampled on like Sakura Haruno has. I could write essays about how toxic Sakura's role became near the tail-end of the story.

(OP Spoilers)
Pudding was never portrayed or hinted at being the villain of the arc. She was revealed to be antagonistic, but she was never the one pulling the strings. She also hasn't been redeemed because everyone (except maybe Sanji outside of his gags) has forgiven her for what she did.

And I wouldn't call them molehills. I'm not saying One Piece is a bad series, but why cut Oda that much slack for something he does so badly? It can be done far better than he's willing to do.

I feel like I'm the last person to cut Oda slack. lol
But there's a certain level of hyperbole that gets spread about him being sexist when nobody except his editors and family really knows the guy.

Yeah the only thing ever hyped about Rebecca was her dodging ability and Tashigi was never presented to be on the same level as Zoro, I'm still waiting for Tashigi to be revealed to be Kunia with amnesia and suddenly stronger than Zoro when she gets her memory back

What you just described in the last sentence would be a trainwreck.

Tashigi is the worst.

/avatarquote

Ray Down

Banned
Oda does need to give Nami and especially Robin more fights, hopefully they get something before the final fights where they HAVE to fight Blackbeard crew.

And people want me to believe Oda will add a purely physical female fighter to the crew, Gurararara!

Also Kunia IS dead, all flashback deaths have been permanent aside from Sabo.

Morlas

Oda does need to give Nami and especially Robin more fights, hopefully they get something before the final fights where they HAVE to fight Blackbeard crew.

And people want me to believe Oda will add a purely physical female fighter to the crew, Gurararara!

Also Kunia IS dead, all flashback deaths have been permanent aside from Sabo.

Carrot's time to shine!

Ray Down

Banned

image.php

Truly the worst :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's nonsense. The story doesn't write itself, Oda writes the story. The only reason they don't get fights is because Oda doesn't want to let girls fight. Like, the actual reason Oda gives for Tashigi being weaker than Zoro is that she's a girl. Which is total nonsense in the pile of unrealism that One Piece is, and worse, literally runs counter to what Zoro says to Kuina in his backstory.

Look, let me put it bluntly as possible: Oda is a sexist middle-aged Japanese man, who grew up in an extremely conservative society. He writes a really good story, yes, and doesn't mean anything bad by it, but that doesn't mean you have to find excuses for him.

Tashigi could be weaker than Zorro because Zorro trained with the greatest swordsman alive for two and a half years. Pretty sure that's the reason for the power gap.

I will say that the crew across the board have been getting less fights after the timeskip. Only Luffy and Zorro have gotten solo fights in all the arcs until this point.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm no Rebecca fan, but even I think she gets too much hate due to blind expectations and the fanbase putting her on a pedestal.
She was never supposed to be a proactive warrior. It's not what she wanted. The hints were all there.

Just wait till Wano. ��

Yeah, agreed on the Rebbeca point since that was a major part of her character I wish her design was alot better cause her armor is straight out of a bad mmo.

A lot of fan bases are saying this:

I really don't think she will get much focus, until like the Rev arc or moon

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure he meant a live-action Cowboy Bebop. Also, the movie is no more non-canon than the rest of the episodes unrelated to the main plot (which is most of them).
I know I was making a goof. They've tried twice now to do a Hollywood Bebop.

Morlas

Yeah, agreed on the Rebbeca point since that was a major part of her character I wish her design was alot better cause her armor is straight out of a bad mmo.

A lot of fan bases are saying this:

I really don't think she will get much focus, until like the Rev arc or moon
some big shit's gonna go down at the Reverie and i feel like it's gonna change a lot of things

cntr

Banned
I'd be very pleased if Carrot joined the crew. But doesn't seem like it's going to be happening, given the arc's direction.

It's saying a lot because Nami or Robin have never had the integrity of her character shattered and trampled on like Sakura Haruno has. I could write essays about how toxic Sakura's role became near the tail-end of the story.
Fair, but like, that's some next level crap. One Piece isn't that bad at it doesn't necessarily mean it's great.

(OP Spoilers)
Pudding was never portrayed or hinted at being the villain of the arc. She was revealed to be antagonistic, but she was never the one pulling the strings. She also hasn't been redeemed because everyone (except maybe Sanji outside of his gags) has forgiven her for what she did.
Fair,
but it just feels like too much of a repeat of Baby 5 and Hancock, and the others like them. It doesn't feel like coincidence that they all happen to be pretty girls. And "nobody's ever called me pretty before" was a bad way of handling it, especially since it pretty much comes out of nowhere.

And the Big Mom cake thing is stupid.

I feel like I'm the last person to cut Oda slack. lol
But there's a certain level of hyperbole that gets spread about him being sexist when nobody except his editors and family really knows the guy.
To be clear, when I say Oda's sexist, I don't mean like he actively tries to write out women or opposes women's rights or whatever. I'd drop One Piece if it was that bad, heh.

What I mean is that, well, Oda's a middle-aged dude who grew up in Japan, a conservative society that traditionally makes a lot of assumptions about how women are or whatever. Oda's sexist in the sense writes One Piece filtered through this sexist view of the world. It's gotten a bit worse since the timeskip since Oda's health is starting to strain his writing, Oda often ends up falling back on these views.
That's why Pudding's complex over her third eye wasn't previously established by the manga, because "of course a girl would feel she was ugly, and of course she'd be moved by a guy calling her pretty" are normal assumptions in that kind of conservative worldview. A progressive modern story wouldn't make that assumption, but it's the kind of thing Oda's used to.

Like, for comparison, the Shounen Jump series I consider the best writing at female characters was Stone Ocean. But the reason that happened was that Araki realized he wrote women badly, and deliberately set out to write a good female character. And that's the reason Stardust Crusaders is so bad by comparison, because Araki was falling back on the worldview most Japanese people his age have. That kind of deliberate decision is what most mangaka need to make, but is one that most mangaka don't. And Oda's among them.

Also, it's sometimes hard not to be hyperbolic when people say things like "One Piece has the best written women in shounen". :p

cntr

Banned
«Beater» (ビーター, Bītā?) is a derogatory term used by the players of «Sword Art Online» (SAO) and meant to be an insult aimed towards beta-testers who played unfairly[1]. It was the result of Kirito trying to protect the dignity of other beta-testers, and to make sure that all of them, excluding himself, were treated fairly, effectively shouldering the burden of beta testers all across SAO for good.
That's stupid.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"hey, this guy has a ton of knowledge about the game that we're stuck in & therefore could help us survive in this virtual world where if we die in the game, we'll die in real life.

.......MOTHERFUCKER, LET'S KILL HIM"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Elite Beater Agents

...but to get back on topic, real talk. Not counting the first season, is Tokyo Ghoul Root A possibly the worst show we've had? I mean, Unicorn was boring & I dropped it because after making it half way, I just said screw it & didn't bother watching it more, but at least that had the animation & music working for it.

As much as I hate Dimension W, I'd probably rewatch it over Root A because the first 3 episodes were fine & I actually get a reaction from watching the later episodes. I just feel so drained from TGA and there's so little to comment on. Hell, I'm debating if Unicorn or TGA is worse because Unicorn is double the episodes + "MUUUUURRRRRR, VIOLENCE" main character, but at least it's pretty to see & hear.

It's my birthday and I got my own own place!

Double yay!
Congrats, man. Now comes the fun part: realizing all the stuff you have to pack & then unpack.

cntr

Banned
Unicorn is at least audially and visually incredible. And the mecha are cool.

Tokyo Ghoul, on the other hand, looks and sounds terrible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Absolutely, presentation wise, it was great. You can tell this was originally an OVA with more time/money/effort put into it.

....but man, I tried so hard to care about Unicorn but as soon as it changed time slots, I just said "no more" & stopped watching, which seemed to be the right choice based on reactions from the thread the morning after and the podcasts reviewing the episodes & then the series as a whole.

I really only stuck with Root A because I kept hoping "oh PLEASE give me something entertaining like with the first season" & there were a few times (french dude coming back, that "romance" between police dude & crazy dude's daughter, etc.) but damn, at least the first season gave us material to work with.

....at the very least, IBO sounds like it's going to be a huge upgrade.

Tokyo Ghoul, on the other hand, looks and sounds terrible.
Tokyo Ghoul is shit and Unicorn shouldn't be in the same sentence as that piss drenched dumpster fire because the people in here don't know shit about UC Gundam.

cntr

Banned
Also, since we're on the topic, one of the reasons IBO S1 was so popular is because it's so different. A modern Gundam tends to have either whiny pacifist protagonists (like Banagher) or angsty sociopaths (like Heero Yuy) as protagonists, usually backed up by a cast of people along the same lines. And on the mecha side of things, which is what a lot of people watch Gundam for, most fights rely on beam spam and the mecha exploding as soon as they're hit by a beam weapon.

MIkazuki, on the other hand, is not philosophical at all; he's literally illiterate. He's pretty sociopathic, yeah, but he has actual noticeable emotions, like the bracelet thing early on. Tekkadan act more like a shounen crew of goofballs than a typical Gundam crew. And Mikazuki doesn't rely on beam spam, but instead literally smashes people in with a giant mace, a much more interesting way of doing it, and really not-Gundam. It's a show deliberately written to go against Gundam expectations, and S2 goes even further with that from what I've heard from it.

That's not to say IBO S1 doesn't have serious flaws (see: Dort), but it does lose a lot of appeal when that expectation-countering aspect vanishes. But, well, Unicorn and S2's improved writing should fix that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hiatus update for DBZ Abridged.

Basically, Cell Saga finale ain't happening this year due to reasons they don't feel comfortable talking about yet, but other stuff will happen like an abridged special being released on Christmas & DBcember doing top 24 DBZ games.

Top Bottom