• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Spin 4 |OT| Rafa, Fed & Some Guy Wearing a Toupee

opbanner2.jpg

baninformation.jpg

• PUBLISHER: 2K Sports
  • DEVELOPER: 2K Czech
  • PLATFORMS: PS3, 360, Wii
  • RELEASE DATES: March 15th (NA), March 18th (EU)
  • DEMO: Available now on PS3 & 360

banoverview2.jpg

Top Spin 4 redefines the way you experience the game of tennis. Intuitive controls make gameplay immediately accessible yet deep and rewarding for the tennis experts who want to plan their strategy, target their opponent's weaknesses and become an unstoppable force on the court. The most feature-rich title of the Top Spin franchise, Top Spin 4, puts you front and center of the professional tennis experience with the deepest player roster to date complete with 2K's Signature Style, an enhanced Player Creator with NEW Coaching and Development systems, an incredibly immersive Career mode, all-new visually stunning TV Broadcast presentation elements, and a fully online World Tour Mode. Do you have what it takes to rise above the competition and become #1 in the world?​

banboxart-1.jpg

U.S.
boxart.jpg

U.K.
coverartuk.jpg

banfeatures.jpg

• REAL TENNIS - See, feel, and hear everything the pros do in a real tennis match. Watch as your player moves and swings exactly like its real life counterpart thanks to the addition of over 4,000 more Signature Style animations. As you rally with an opponent in a crucial point, listen as the crowd builds with intensity due to all-new crowd FX. From the life-like visuals of the world’s best players, to the faithful recreation of the world’s most hallowed courts and the unparalleled authenticity of the on-court gameplay, Top Spin 4 provides a breathtaking tennis experience.
featsigstyles.jpg

• INNOVATIVE CONTROLS - Immediately accessible for newcomers yet deep and rewarding for the tennis experts, intuitive game controls now allow gamers of any skill level to target their opponent’s weaknesses & become an unstoppable force on the court.
featcontrols.jpg

• THE DEEPEST PLAYER ROSTER TO DATE - Featuring 25 of the world’s top pros and legends, all accurately replicated with 2K’s award winning Signature Style that incorporates player specific outfits, appearances, swing styles, behavioral AI, and celebrations.
featroster.jpg

• NEW TV BROADCAST STYLE PRESENTATION - All-new visually stunning broadcast elements bring tennis to life like never before with pre-match animation sequences, diverse crowd reactions & audio effects, dynamic broadcast style camera angles, and much more.
featpresentation.jpg

• NEW PLAYER CREATOR - A new player creator allows you to build & customize every aspect of your player, from apparel & equipment to swing animations & physical appearance.
featcreate.jpg

• KING OF THE COURT MODE - All-new party mode allows you and your friends to play this classic tennis short-form tournament. Play multiple rounds of short tiebreak matches to work your way up to the top court and stay as long as you can to become King!

• RESPONSIVE WII CONTROLS - Get into the tennis action like never before with responsive controls that mimic the natural motions of real-life tennis swings to perform slices, drop shots, top spin shots, lob shots, and serves.​

banroster-1.jpg

ATP MEN'S TOUR
  • Roger Federer
  • Rafael Nadal
  • Novak Djoković
  • Andy Murray
  • Andy Roddick
  • Nikolay Davydenko
  • Stanislas Wawrinka
  • Gilles Simon
  • James Blake
  • Bernard Tomic

WTA WOMEN'S TOUR
  • Serena Williams
  • Caroline Wozniacki
  • Ana Ivanović
  • Vera Zvonareva
  • Jelena Janković
  • Dinara Safina
  • Eugenie Bouchard

LEGENDS
  • Pete Sampras
  • Andre Agassi
  • Boris Becker
  • Björn Borg
  • Patrick Rafter
  • Ivan Lendl
  • Michael Chang
  • Jim Courier

banscreenshots-1.jpg

CLICK TO SEE FULL SIZE IMAGES

banvideos-1.jpg

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEOS

bandevdiaries-1.jpg

CLICK TO READ DEVELOPER DIARIES

banplaystationmove.jpg

move.jpg

Playstation Universe said:
If you have any concern that using PlayStation Move in Top Spin 4 will provide a “lite” experience, the team at 2K Czech says you can expect precise controls and the same functional gameplay as with a standard SIXAXIS controller. During a developer conference call, François Giuntini, executive producer at 2K Czech, said “One key element in motion controllers, we wanted to keep and preserve the gampeplay elements for whatever controller you are using.”

This means that you can execute the same exact shots using Move as you could with a standard controller. The only difference, Giuntini said, is that you’ll perform the gestures instead of just pressing a button. “We didn’t want to provide a lite version with motion controllers. When we received the developer kits for the PS Move, the idea was to find all the gestures that will allow us to replicate the cool new gameplay that we were working on.”

Top Spin 4, slated for release on March 15 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii, features Move support throughout the entire game. You’ll be able to use Move even in online matches. There will not be separate online rooms for those using Move. The game also features 43 courts or arenas, seven of which are licensed, and they offer different surfaces like clay or carpet.

2K Czech worked hard to find a way to make sure there were no compromises in terms of the arsenal of shots available using Move. The precision of Move will allow players to adjust shot power on the fly and add slice to the ball with a pull of the trigger button. Softer and shorter swings with the Move wand will result in more controlled shots.

Giuntini said he doesn’t like to think of the Top Spin series as either a simulator or an arcade game. He said he likes to think that Top Spin 4 feels, looks, and behaves like real tennis, yet it’s fun and easy to jump in and play. “We want it to be fun and we tried to combine all those elements with new controls and swings and the PS Move to make sure we achieve all those objectives at once, and yet it is enjoyable and easy to pick up,” he said.

source: http://www.psu.com/2K-Czech--Top-Spin-4-with-Move-is-not-a-lite-version--a010951-p0.php

Playstation.Blog said:
Remi Ercolani, Gameplay Designer, 2K Czech: For developers of a tennis game, devices such as the PlayStation Move provide an interesting challenge for us as designers and programmers. Playing tennis in front of your TV by swinging your arms with a device in your hand (that even feels like a tennis racket) is something most players consider natural. However, it also means completely rethinking the control scheme. We didn’t want to compromise anything with the PlayStation Move controls, and we wanted to stay true to what Top Spin 4 is all about: accessibility and depth. We came up with controls that are simple and fun and enable players with the PlayStation Move or a controller to play against each other.

HITTING THE BALL
Hitting the ball consists of two simple steps. First, move the Motion Controller from front to back to prepare your swing. Second, move the Motion Controller from back to front, as if you’re swinging at the ball. Simple as that. Oh, and by the way, it’s possible to play standing up as well as sitting on your couch.

SHOT TYPES
Here are the different type of shots you can perform:

1. Prepare to the back, then swing. That’s a flat shot.
2. Prepare to the back and down, and then swing. That’s a top spin shot. You need to prepare downward to be able to put more spins into your shot when you swing.
3. Prepare to the back while holding RT, then swing. That’s a slice shot.

To add power to your swing, you must swing wide and fast. The timing of your shot determines its quality, and timing is defined by the moment you perform the swing motion.

SERVING
To serve, toss the ball up in the air and then swing down. Toss the ball and swing using the PlayStation Move motion controller, and aim with the navigation controller’s analog stick. The way you toss the ball determines the type of serve you’ll perform:

1. Straight up, then swing. That’s a flat serve.
2. Up and to the right, then swing. That’s a slice serve.
3. Up and to the left, then swing. That’s a top spin serve.

The power behind a serve is based on peak swing timing. The closer to the peak of the ball toss, the more powerful the serve. To perform a tricky advanced serve, press the Move button while serving.

ADVANCED SHOTS
Speaking of advanced controls, to become a master at Top Spin 4 and become extra competitive, try executing some of these special shots:

1. Drop shot: slice shot + Move Button.
2. Lob: L2 + any swing motion.
3. Shot followed to the net (or serve and volley): L1 + swing (or serve).
4. Drop volley: Control volley + Move Button.
5. Inside out: perform a forehand (respectively backhand) motion when the ball comes on your backhand (respectively forehand). That will force your player to try and play a forehand or backhand.

Top Spin 4’s simple controls make it a very easy game to pick up. You’ll also discover advanced techniques you’ll need to master in order to become an even better player.

source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...up-playstation-move-stereoscopic-3d-tomorrow/

banpreorderbonuses-1.jpg

GAMESTOP - Vintage Agassi
preagassi200.jpg

AMAZON - $20 Amazon Credit + Tennis Racket for your PS3 or 360 Avatar
preamazon200.jpg

PLAY.COM - Umpire Chair Item for your PS3 or 360 Avatar
prechair200.jpg

ZAVVI.CO.UK - Tennis Racket for your PS3 or 360 Avatar
preracket200.jpg

banachievements.jpg

bantrophies.jpg

banreviews-1.jpg

LordK

Geez. US tennis really is in trouble when our featured player on the cover is retired and the American behind him has been out for like almost a year (I think).

I'll follow the game though.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Move Impressions

I loved the demo, but the Move controls didn't gel for me. The gesture based inputs basically offered the same level of precision as a controller, only with a smidgen of lag, forcing you to make the swing a split second earlier than usual. It felt less responsive, and considering it isn't dynamically mapping your movements in a 1:1 fashion (as in Sports Champions' Table Tennis), it also fails to capitalize on the technology in delivering a more realistic experience.

There is one clear advantage in using the Move controller though: you get to gauge shot power by the force of your swing, rather than holding down a button. This means you can make harder hits faster than usual, as it involves no 2 second button-hold in advance, but just a heavy thrust forward with your arm, which is obviously the more natural way to play tennis.

Overall, it's disappointing 2k Czeck didn't even attempt to match Sports Champions for its dynamic 1:1 motion mapping, but the control scheme is still functional if you can get used to it.

As a side note, you'll need the Navigation controller to play this comfortably. You'll be playing this while stood upright, meaning you can't balance the right side of a DS3 controller on your knee for this one.

Speevy

Banned
I might get this if it's good, but I have so many games to play right now that it's gonna be tough to justify.

A.R.K

Any impressions on the MOVE implementation? Is it 1:1 and as good as or even close to TT in Sports Champion? If not that would be a shame.

Can't find any reviews.

RedSwirl

How are the controls different from Top Spin 3? I couldn't really tell from the demo. TS3 was a great game but it had a serious learning curve.

It didn't review well because most of the people who reviewed it couldn't figure out the basic controls. That took me like three hours. The people who did review TS3 well were already hardcore tennis fans.

darkwing

A.R.K said:
Any impressions on the MOVE implementation? Is it 1:1 and as good as or even close to TT in Sports Champion? If not that would be a shame.

Can't find any reviews.

yeah, can't find any too, hope TTP can work on this :D

darkwing

bah, the Move implementation looks like a Wii port :(
Drop shot: slice shot + Move Button.
Lob: L2 + any swing motion.
Shot followed to the net (or serve and volley): L1 + swing (or serve).
Drop volley: Control volley + Move Button.

its not 1:1 like Sports Champion

darkwing said:

Yeah its so dumb of them to do that. You don't need any buttons in Sports Champions, just make the appropriate swing and get the net result. I'll pass on this one until its in the bargain bin.

I was quite unimpressed with the 360 demo. Shitty visuals, shitty transition animations and it all comes off a bit 'B-grade'.

Not to mention they only allow you to play a tie-break, which is not enough time to get to grips with the game. It then forces you back to the dashboard if you want to play again.

Pass.

darkwing said:

Bah - why bother then? I won't even mention this to the wife. I'll keep my eye on it incase impressions indicate greater depth.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
They need to get the feel right with these tennis games, not sure why that never seems to happen

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x142/shockgeez04/Top%20Spin/boxart.jpg [/I]

Only on PlayStation ..wat

I hated the demo at first, but now that I understand the controls I am having a blast. Hitting inside out shots is a bit awkward still, but everything feels really nice. The points play out very realistically and even my sister thought it was a real life match.

Nadal is so fun to play with. I think 2K did I pretty good job getting his style right (Federer is still a mess though). Can't wait to play as Agassi and Davydenko. Visuals are the best ever seen in a tennis game. The look of the US Open and Roland Garros is spot on and it seems like there are an assload of different courts to play on.

Already pre-ordered it on Amazon and I think this game can finally replace Smash Court 2 for me.

Teetris said:
They need to get the feel right with these tennis games, not sure why that never seems to happen
Yeah, I dunno why tennis seems to be the weird one out there. We've had great arcade style tennis games but haven't been treated to a proper simulation experience.

I'll take what I can get though. I am glad Top Spin series is moving towards that point though. I mean not every tennis game should play like Virtua Tennis.

3ur4zn said:
I was quite unimpressed with the 360 demo. Shitty visuals, shitty transition animations and it all comes off a bit 'B-grade'.

Not to mention they only allow you to play a tie-break, which is not enough time to get to grips with the game. It then forces you back to the dashboard if you want to play again.

Pass.

I've been playing Tennis games since I got hooked on Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and the Top Spin 4 demo is the best looking and playing Tennis game I've played since and I've played all of them for DC, PS2, XBOX, PS3 and 360.

I just don't know what you're looking at to say the visuals are lacking. The player models look terrific, especially in motion. The courts look really good and are authentically modelled. The presentation really clean, broadcast replays are done well and the audio is impressive. Worse than complaints about the visuals are your opinions on the animations which are really well done and butterry smooth, not to mention context correct with regards to momentum. Just look at the animations for running, planting and shuffling feet, they are astronomically better than any other tennis videogame has ever implemented them. I've played the demo a ton and have yet to see any shot or movement animation that looks janky or out of place.

It's a damn fine trolling effort to claim this looks or feels like a B-grade effort. Kudos!

TigerKnee

TheVisualizer said:
I've been playing Tennis games since I got hooked on Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and the Top Spin 4 demo is the best looking and playing Tennis game I've played since and I've played all of them for DC, PS2, XBOX, PS3 and 360.

I just don't know what you're looking at to say the visuals are lacking. The player models look terrific, especially in motion. The courts look really good and are authentically modelled. The presentation really clean, broadcast replays are done well and the audio is impressive. Worse than complaints about the visuals are your opinions on the animations which are really well done and butterry smooth, not to mention context correct with regards to momentum. Just look at the animations for running, planting and shuffling feet, they are astronomically better than any other tennis videogame has ever implemented them. I've played the demo a ton and have yet to see any shot or movement animation that looks janky or out of place.

It's a damn fine trolling effort to claim this looks or feels like a B-grade effort. Kudos!

I'm convinced. It shall be mines.

Kafel

Banned
Magicpaint said:
How so? I never played that so just wondering what you mean here.

People going online with their own players with everything maxed out made the game unplayable.

SapientWolf said:
So what's the big draw over Top Spin 2? That game was $6 but this one is $60.

Top Spin 2 was the tennis game I was playing most recently up until today. Why I'm "upgrading" to Top Spin 4 today:

1) TS4 controls so much smoother and it's mechanics are more realistic. TS2 has glitchy controls that cause your player to not swing at balls sometimes when you press the button, it's like the game ignores your input to swing. I play a lot of doubles local co-op where this rears it's ugly head the most.

2) TS4 is supposedly balanced where you can use different styles/strategies to win. Stamina will actually play an issue giving athletic players advantage when the volleys drag on for awhile.

3) TS2 also has an arcadey momentum meter that rewards you with the ability to do overpowered advanced shots only if you are on a decent points winning streak. I'm looking forward to playing a more realistic interpretation of tennis. You needed to fill your arcade bar up to the top in TS2 to be able to try a drop shot. TS4 allows you to do one at any time as long as it's a highly returnable shot.

4) TS4's Career Mode blows TS2's out of the water with all the extra stuff included, read the dev diary I posted in the OP for details.

5) TS4's men's roster is probably the best ever assembled, great mix of today's best and legends of the game, all recreated with their signature style.

Picked this up earlier and played one exhibition game so far: here's a screenshot of the post-match stats:

-I played it on Hard difficulty which is the 2nd highest. I was James Blake against CPU Andy Roddick.

-As far as aces, I was able to get 2 with James Blake, but only because I haven't really gotten the touch on the serving yet. Besides the aces, I did have several great serves that Roddick couldn't handle that ended up getting returned into the net or out of play by him. Andy's big serve had me in constant fear, I'm surprised he only had 6 aces. He had a countless number of serves I couldn't return. It seemed like the CPU took it's foot off the gas in the 3rd set and Andy didn't ramp up on his serves like he was. Maybe it had something to do with fatigue as I had him running all over as much as possible, or the CPU difficulty was giving me a break?

-The CPU and I each had a couple unforced errors in there, not sure how the numbers stack up to what some of you "sim-heads" are looking for, but they were there. My most played tennis game before this was Top Spin 2, and with regards to unforced errors I've found it's a lot harder to hit the ball out on a regular shot. In Top Spin 2 if you held to the left or right long enough with a top spin or slice shot it would almost always go out. That doesn't seem to be the case in TS4 from what I've seen. It's harder to be precise and work the lines which in turn makes it harder to hit it out accidentally on a shot that is easily returnable.

-The swing mechanic seems like the perfect hybrid of the "assisted" swing from Top Spin 2 and the "full-manual" swing from Top Spin 3. It rewards you for timing it perfectly like you had to in TS3 but within the risk of completely whiffing on your shot. As a semi-casual player of tennis games who enjoys realism, this really hits the sweet spot for me. Feels great. Your timing needs to be right hit precise shots.

-The game really shines with how they handled your ability to make tough shots. It pays more than ever to setup your shots and keep your opponent off-balance. You really need to work all of the different shots (top spin, slice, drop-shot and even lob occasionally) to force your opponent into mistakes. It's hard to describe not being a huge follower of the sport, but it seems to be handled in a more realistic way than ever before. Gone are the days where you can make a ton of miracle shots in a long volley, it's cool to hear the ball clang off the edge of the racket sometimes when it goes out, signifying you didn't get all of it. Little things that just add to the immersion.

All in all, seems like everything I wanted so far, plays like a dream. I'll play a few more games and post some more stats and impressions for yall.

depward

Grabbed it today. Can't wait to dig into it. Tennis games are my guilty pleasure and I thoroughly enjoyed the demo for this.

Saty

One of these days we will get a tennis game with a decent line-up of players. What the heck is this selection? Where's Schivonee? Kim? Radwanska and so on? As someone who watches decent ammount of tennis, who the heck is Eugenie Bouchard?

I'm going to wait for the game that will have the Top 15 Men and Top 15 Women in it. And other retired players. Dementieva plz :(

iFootball

Honestly, after playing the Demo with my PS Move and seeing that it does not really offer 1:1 movement or control (or something at least close), I went into Amazon and pre-ordered Virtua Tennis 4... well, also based on the previews I've read about VT4's Move implementation...

In short, I was kind of disappointed by this game =(.. I was looking forward to it, but the demo killed it for me

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
carvasd said:
Honestly, after playing the Demo with my PS Move and seeing that it does not really offer 1:1 movement or control (or something at least close), I went into Amazon and pre-ordered Virtua Tennis 4... well, also based on the previews I've read about VT4's Move implementation...

In short, I was kind of disappointed by this game =(.. I was looking forward to it, but the demo killed it for me
If VT4 plays like VT3 move controls might not be enough save it. It feels like that franchise has been moving backwards since it left the Dreamcast.

SapientWolf said:
If VT4 plays like VT3 move controls might not be enough save it. It feels like that franchise has been moving backwards since it left the Dreamcast.

agreed, I couldn't deal with all the diving in VT3, and the controls just felt off. I've preferred Top Spin to Virtua Tennis since Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast which was my shit...

I didn't know EA was making a tennis game though, wonder how that will turn out?

EekTheKat

Early impressions :

The presentation needs a round of polish - some commentary banter in between points would've added a lot to immersion instead of a box popping up in the lower right hand corner with some text in it.

3d feels tacked on somewhat, in a sense that it's heavily prone to ghosting at its default settings. Dial it down and it's acceptable, but TS4 is not really a showcase or game-changing experience when played in 3d.

Other than that, I think the actual tennis gameplay feels really good and does a fairly good job replicating a modern tennis match. It's certainly not like a game of pong that the last few VT games have been, and the pacing feels much better than the last Top Spin.

It always feels like you have some degree of control over your shots in this game - When I hit a shot out of bounds it feels like it's because of a combination of an early/late power swing combined with my player's stamina being too long instead of something that

I had a fairly epic 26 hit rally in my first game that ended with both players fairly gassed lol.

depward

I'm really enjoying the gameplay so far; I'm still adapting to releasing the button for the shot and still tend to be more late than usual, but I'm getting the hang of it.

depward said:
I'm really enjoying the gameplay so far; I'm still adapting to releasing the button for the shot and still tend to be more late than usual, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I ran thru the Top Spin Academy section last night (only takes like 15 mins) and it was helpful for truly understanding the game mechanics. Timing is everything in Top Spin 4.

NewBrof

any information on voice chat on PS3..? How is the matchmaking? I had TS3 and there where no friend matches, only against random people... I am looking for a tennis game to play with my brother online... hope this will deliver

tc farks

I have great memories of career mode and I would have a hard time getting tired of playing with Agassi online. Though I wish I could have the mullet version. This will be picked up when it goes on sale, I miss doubles.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I haven't seen any media on this game, I just noticed it was out at the store earlier today. Any good impressions? Also any videos of the move in motion?

msdstc said:
I haven't seen any media on this game, I just noticed it was out at the store earlier today. Any good impressions? Also any videos of the move in motion?

I've read a bunch of impressions here and on OperationSports and most people are really liking the game. It plays as close to real tennis as any game has yet, but is still really accessible for casual players. I've yet to see anyone say anything positive about the Move implementation though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The bad Move implementation is what stops me from getting this game. Hold the Right Trigger to slice? Who came up with that? Why can't I just make the slice motion to make a slice (Sports Champions did it well in table tennis). Same with directing my shots, I have to use the Nav controller to direct my shots. Again in Sports Champions I was able to hit the ball early or late to control which direction it would go in.

Really disappointed me as I had this on pre-order :( so I canceled it. I hope Virtua Tennis does it better... even though Top Spin 4 is supposed to be the more realistic one.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Eurogamer.net gave it an 8/10

Still, most of what Top Spin 4 has to offer is built on solid foundations. By putting accessibility and instant enjoyment at the forefront, 2K Czech has cast all the old frustrations aside at a stroke, and the fact the developer has eased passage into the game without sacrificing any of its depth is also remarkable. It feels as though a balance has been struck, which should suit players of all skill levels. Whether it will be enough to fend off the impending Virtua Tennis 4 is another matter, but for now it's safe to say the ball is back in SEGA's court.
That's about all the verification I need. This was for the 360 version, so comments are made on the 3D mode but not Move controls.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Thunderbear said:
The bad Move implementation is what stops me from getting this game. Hold the Right Trigger to slice? Who came up with that? Why can't I just make the slice motion to make a slice (Sports Champions did it well in table tennis). Same with directing my shots, I have to use the Nav controller to direct my shots. Again in Sports Champions I was able to hit the ball early or late to control which direction it would go in.

Really disappointed me as I had this on pre-order :( so I canceled it. I hope Virtua Tennis does it better... even though Top Spin 4 is supposed to be the more realistic one.
TS4 was clearly made with a gamepad in mind. It looks like the shots have a hold and release mechanic.

Peru

Seems to strike a great balance, all signs point to success.. I'm just too busy now but will be getting this come summer.

Quake1028

The Top Spin series is my favorite sports gaming series, by far. I have loved each iteration and have no doubt I will love this once I can put some more time into it. Only had time to play one match so far.

Kafel said:
People going online with their own players with everything maxed out made the game unplayable.

I thought there was a cap. My created player from TS3 was like a 74 overall after I used up all my points.

Top Bottom