• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

]blacky[;78530973 said:
I played the demo and the interface showed me the loot (with text above it), after killing my enemies. Now I bought the full-version and I miss this feature. Am I doing something wrong?

I think it's the ALT key that will display loot text.

spiritfox

]blacky[;78544741 said:
Yes, but in the demo the game has shown the loot text permanently.

How is the difficulty level? I play on veteran and the game seems to be too easy. (But I just play the game for three hours.)

Click on the magnifying glass icon.

Dunkelgrau

Click on the magnifying glass icon.
I am such an idiot, thank you.

Always hated those kind of games. Last time I played such a thing correctly was Diablo in 1996. But now I am in for a few hours and I am having a blast.
  • I normally dislike to play with mouse and keyboard, but the control-scheme of Torchlight 2 is absolutely awesome.
  • The interface is probably the best I have seen in an RPG.
  • Music is great.
  • Variety of the locations is nice, I fight against dead pirates in the moment. :)

Is it possible to level up the inventory, to carry around more stuff?

As a follow-up to my last post: I'm mostly playing Embermage and Berserker. My Embermage is the character I play with my friend, while my Berserker is for solo play. They're about the same level. Since I have my friend to take some of the aggro, I built my Embermage to be a complete glass cannon, and he does ridiculous damage. Prismatic Bolts + Fire/Ice/Lightning Brands is insane! I felt kinda bad for my friend because I was killing everything, so I've started using Frost Wave instead.

]blacky[;78548273 said:
Is it possible to level up the inventory, to carry around more stuff?

I don't think so. That would be awesome, though.

VandalD

]blacky[;78544741 said:
How is the difficulty level? I play on veteran and the game seems to be too easy. (But I just play the game for three hours.)
Veteran starts out fairly easily for people used to this kind of game and ramps up a bit for each act. I felt more challenge kick in around act 2. If it's still too easy for you, you can always start a LAN game by yourself and change the difficulty to Elite.

As a follow-up to my last post: I'm mostly playing Embermage and Berserker. My Embermage is the character I play with my friend, while my Berserker is for solo play. They're about the same level. Since I have my friend to take some of the aggro, I built my Embermage to be a complete glass cannon, and he does ridiculous damage. Prismatic Bolts + Fire/Ice/Lightning Brands is insane! I felt kinda bad for my friend because I was killing everything, so I've started using Frost Wave instead.
That's about what I went with for my first character and yeah, it was ridiculously powerful. Being able to teleport around pretty much negates the glass cannon bit if you pay attention to enemy movement, and the pet with summon spells makes a good tank. Otherwise, Prismatic Bolts rips through groups and bosses alike. I actually stopped playing it because it was way too good. I invested in Hailstorm, Fire Storm, and a few others, but all you need is Prismatic and the brands. None of my other Embermages picked up the bolts since.

desertdroog

Need some help here.

Level 42 Embermage getting my butt handed to me in the fungus level, area 4 I think? I have access to the Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec program, but I haven't figured out any skills/stats placement to give me a fighting chance.

I went heavy with Primsatic Bolt, but how should I spend the points for Dex, Mana and Health?

Anyone who has a good lvl 42 build that can help me get past this hump, I would appreciate it. My gear ranges from stuff found back in my mid 20s, because the drops I am finding aren't much special, or maybe my luck just isn't very good.

Thanks.

I think I'm in that area too. I haven't played in over a month though so I don't quite remember where I'm at. Honestly I only play my Embermage with my friend because I went full retard Focus so I can't take hits for shit. But some general tips:

Give summon spell scrolls to your pet. My pet summons skeletal warriors and archers and they help take some of the aggro away from me.

Start using a shield and get more defensive armor. Especially if you're using the Prismatic Bolt build — you should be doing plenty of damage anyway so focus more on defense for now, since you keep dying.

I finally beat the game with my friend. We didn't pay any attention to the story or the dialogue so we had no idea we were on the final boss lol. We just killed that huge nether king monster and we got a bunch of Steam achievements, which made us go, "Hey did we just beat the game?" Fun stuff. I'm really liking the post-game stuff where you can buy dungeons.

Shambles

Nephew just made a Runic account on their website (using his same Steam username and password *facepalm*). Since he has steamguard on a minute later he gets an attempted login from the other side of the country (Quebec). Wtf? Has someone hacked runics servers? Or does IP location tracking screw up that bad? Weird.

MrDaravon

Finally started playing this a few days ago, having a good time but I can't really get a feeling for what I should be aiming for stats and skill-wise. Playing as an Outlander on Veteran and I'm loosely following this setup here, but once I hit level 14-15 or so I'm starting to die a lot. My stats look like this:

Level 15 / 907 HP / 100 Mana
Strength - 39 / Dex - 38 / Focus - 24 / Vit - 32

I'm using Shotgonne primary, my skills are:

Rapid Fire - Rank 6 (most guides recommended this)
Rune Vault - Rank 1 (bail out skill)
Tangling Shot - Rank 1 (several guides recommended 1 point in this just to root big charge enemies)
Long Range Mastery - Rank 6 (saw recommendations for this over Shotgonne Mastery even if you're using a Shotgonne since the Knockback it adds is insane if you're using it on top of Rapid Fire)
Poison Burst - Rank 2
Master of the Elements - Rank 2

Looking around it seems like almost no one recommends using bows, and dual pistols mainly becomes viable once you Execution/Focus gets high enough where that's something that you can pull off a lot. So I've been running Shotgonne primary and for my second weapon set I've been keeping the best pistols I find equipped but I'm not really using that weapon set at this point. My main problem right now is that I'll be fine, and then I'll just be dead. I have no idea I should be focusing on getting my Vit/Armor up or what. I usually die so fast I can't even tell if maybe it's an issue with my elemental armor stats? Anybody have any suggestions or advice? It's actually kind of hard to find a lot of good info on this game (at least for this class), and a lot of it is outdated from before they apparently nerfed Glaive Throw. I'm having a good time with the game but feel a bit lost at the moment.

Also is there any way to get enemies to respawn in previous areas? I could be an idiot, but that doesn't seem to happen even when I quit/reload. I'm barely at the minimum level suggested right now for areas but I can't seem to go back to level up? Like if I go back to the very very starting area those enemies seem to have respawned, but anything after that is still cleared out.

So with Diablo 3's loot 2.0 and expansion now released, Path of Exile out of beta, and Marvel Heroes having received number updates, how does everyone feel Torchlight 2 stacks up against the other games in the genre? I wanted to love the game, but for some reason it just didn't click with me, despite all the pieces being there.

Raptomex

So with Diablo 3's loot 2.0 and expansion now released, Path of Exile out of beta, and Marvel Heroes having received number updates, how does everyone feel Torchlight 2 stacks up against the other games in the genre? I wanted to love the game, but for some reason it just didn't click with me, despite all the pieces being there.
I don't care what anyone says T2 still tops D3 when it comes to depth. You distribute points and cholse skills. D3 just gives you everything. While loot 2.0 is a big improvement, the entire leveling up system is a failure for me. I wish the Torchlight series got morr love.

I've stayed away from PoE because it's F2P but from what I hear it's still quite good. I may check it out.

Nymerio

I don't care what anyone says T2 still tops D3 when it comes to depth. You distribute points and cholse skills. D3 just gives you everything. While loot 2.0 is a big improvement, the entire leveling up system is a failure for me. I wish the Torchlight series got morr love.

I've stayed away from PoE because it's F2P but from what I hear it's still quite good. I may check it out.

This does not give the game more depth. Stat allocation is basically just putting enough points into the stats you need to equip certain pieces of gear and dump the rest into whatever is the primary stat for your class. Selecting skills wasn't much better either. I also don't like that there's no way to easily respec without a mod. I'm actually a big fan of how D3 handles skills and leveling. I've not played a game like this where I've played so many different build as in Diablo.

To answer the original question: I still like the game but it doesn't hold a candle to Reaper of Souls. From A gameplay perspective I'd say Diablo > T2 > PoE.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I havent been keeping up with the mods, but back when I finished TL2 I did it with a custom class with a million pets, a necromancer maybe? it had a green dragon pet later in the trees, and a bunch of others...

anyway, I love pet classes, so whats the coolest pet class these days in TL2? I dont care if it "breaks" the game, I just want a bunch of minions running around killing things :p

Jokab

Sorry to bump this old thread, maybe no one will read this anyway.

Me and my friends are having desync issues in multiplayer sessions, which I gather through a few google searches is very prevalent. I have found no good fix for it. Does anybody know anything on how to prevent this from happening? It's a fun game, but constantly having to rehost the game because we can't see what the others are doing is very annoying.

lazygecko

Just what have Runic been up to lately? During development of Torchlight 2 there was a steady influx of info and press releases. I'm pretty sure they were also working on a Torchlight MMO on the side but that was put on the backburner, and perhaps even canceled.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sorry to bump this old thread, maybe no one will read this anyway.

Me and my friends are having desync issues in multiplayer sessions, which I gather through a few google searches is very prevalent. I have found no good fix for it. Does anybody know anything on how to prevent this from happening? It's a fun game, but constantly having to rehost the game because we can't see what the others are doing is very annoying.

I have no help for you. Sorry.

I Googled it and a Reddit thread popped up with people saying they found workarounds.

Just what have Runic been up to lately? During development of Torchlight 2 there was a steady influx of info and press releases. I'm pretty sure they were also working on a Torchlight MMO on the side but that was put on the backburner, and perhaps even canceled.

And why the hell do they never work on and release expansions to these games? I bought TL1 and 2, but probably won't be buying a TL3, seeing as how they just abandon the games after release.

itsmedave

Apologies on bumping an old thread but I had more of a Steam question. Mac Torchlight 2 is launching Monday on Steam. If I already have the Windows version (playing in Boot Camp), will I get the Mac Version free or will I need to pay for it again? Thanks for any help. I'm hoping that I don't have to pay for it, but will gladly do so if need be.

Apologies on bumping an old thread but I had more of a Steam question. Mac Torchlight 2 is launching Monday on Steam. If I already have the Windows version (playing in Boot Camp), will I get the Mac Version free or will I need to pay for it again? Thanks for any help. I'm hoping that I don't have to pay for it, but will gladly do so if need be.

I assume you won't need to buy it the second time thanks to SteamPlay.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308

ZeroAKA

I was just about to give up on the Mac version. Thanks for the heads-up, can't wait to try it out on Monday!

grumpy

I had completely forgotten about Torchlight 2 until I saw it pop up today in my Mac-only Steam playlist.

Yay, only 2+ years late to the party.

Is there a mod or item that boosts magic find by a large amount? I remember there was a lucky belt that boosted it quite a bit but it seems to have been changed.

Or better yet, is there a mod that allows every enemy to drop massive amounts of loot? High chance for legendaries and so on. I'm just wanting to have a fun playthrough to mess around with.

Top Bottom