• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Sanic

Did they ever fix the (seemingly CPU-related) performance issues people were having? The last time I played this a few months ago, I could never hold 60fps in any scene with a few+ enemies in it, and I have a modern rig. I know I wasn't alone with this issue.

Nymerio

Did they ever fix the (seemingly CPU-related) performance issues people were having? The last time I played this a few months ago, I could never hold 60fps in any scene with a few+ enemies in it, and I have a modern rig. I know I wasn't alone with this issue.

Yeah there's still some slowdown with lots of enemies on screen. I don't mind it that much though, seems to only slow down if a shit-ton of stuff is happening.

balddemon

Banned
I wish there was a way to see my pet and minion % stat without adding them up. I also wish there was a way to see which of my minions are dead and how much health they have, etc.

Nymerio

Has anyone here tried the Synergy mod? We've just completed the game the first time on normal and I'm thinking of either going NG+ or trying the mod out.

balddemon

Banned
yeah try the mod out. the necromancer is a fun class. keep in mind the game is made slightly easier because there is a higher mob density. me and my buddy just played through the game on veteran and rarely had any trouble except with the hero mobs. those things pack a punch.

anyways yeah try it out, and if you need someone else to play, I'm down, since my buddy has a kid and a job lol.

RedSwirl

Just started NG+ so if I do Synergy I might just do it after I've finished the game again. I've also realized that Act 1 is probably my favorite part of the game, just for the environments and background music.

TylerD

On sale today only for $6.79 on Steam. I feel like I am holding them up at gunpoint at that price. Unbelievable bang for buck.

ezekial45

Banned
I've heard a lot about the Synergies mod. Should I play the game first without any mods? or should I give that a download before I start playing.

Also, are there any of other recommended mods for newcomers?

VandalD

Blanks Landmarks is a mod made unofficially by a Runic dev. It adds more chunks to the game, basically meaning that there is a bit more variety to some locations.

What are the best visual/texture mods?
Haven't tried any texture mods, but I like Ubuntu Font, Evil UI (Diablo Style), and Slimmer Loot Borders as far as UI changes go.

I've heard a lot about the Synergies mod. Should I play the game first without any mods? or should I give that a download before I start playing.

Also, are there any of other recommended mods for newcomers?
Unmodded is pretty solid. You might get a better idea for what you'd want to be changed if you play that way first. That's the only reason I'd say not to jump into Synergies. If you don't care about that, go for it.

ElyrionX

Started playing this a few days ago. About 15 hours in now. I have no idea how the devs did it but they managed to make loot even more boring than it was in launch Diablo 3. Other than that I am having a decent time with my Embermage.

Kvik

Started playing TL2 again last weekend, this time with mods. Needless to say I enjoyed it immensely. Here's my subscriptions in Steam Workshop.

1. Enhanced Retex part A & B - A retexture project which thankfully was not an assault for your eyes since the art direction is in the same vein as TL2's original art direction. Still mostly WIP, as you can still see the seams between the tiles if you zoom in too close.
  2. Extra Chunky - New dungeon levels for more varied dungeon varieties.
  3. Blank Landmarks - New landmarks (chunks) for mostly outdoor enviroment. Reroll world to make sure the levels are regenerated.
  4. Tiered Passives - Adding tiers to the passive abilities of the 4 standard classes. I find that it's best to increase the difficulty (or start a HC character) when playing with this mod since most of them are somewhat a bit overpowered.
  5. Indocilis | The Revenge - A quest mod. Adds a whole new act (hub) at the endgame. Also adds leveling dungeons.
  6. Combine Them All - A combination of smaller community mods. Most of them are UI improvements and Item/NPC mods. See this link for a comprehensive list of all the included mods.
  7. Evil UI Grittier Edition + Diablo 2 Orbs - A much darker(pentagrams! blood spatter!) UI mod which I think was (mostly) done pretty tastefully. Also includes much, much better orbs in my opinion :)
  8. SynergiesMOD - The most popular TL2 mod, last time I checked. Basically adds numerous bosses, quests, gears, extra classes and various endgame stuff. More at their website. Make sure this mod is always the last one to load on the loading order.
Last, but not least - SweetFX - The zip file comes with a TL2 preset, although personally I had to dial down the Bloom setting a bit. Make sure you turn off TL2's AA and Bloom for the setting to take effect.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So we installed Synergies mod and we can't find the new campaign. We saw some levelling dungeon in the first hub, but that's it. Where does the new quest line begin?

Giving this another shot since performance was awful at launch (it's still pretty bad:\ frameskipping for me at 75 hz)

Playing an outlander but I have some questions about the mechanics and builds (lvl 33 atm)
I tried googling but most info is like 8 months old and from many patches ago it seems.

I'll ask some here:
-lifesteal/mana regen on weapons doesn't seem to work with skills? It doesn't seem to work with rapid fire which makes me wonder what the point of the skill is

-does having weapons in main/offhand matter? is my offhand a stat stick when I go dual pistols? do the procs work the same in both hands?

-any fun outlander builds with good variety or cool synergy?
Something that chains procs into awesome chainreactions would be cool; but I guess that doesn't work since you can't proc off of skills (or can you?)
Trying double pistol with rapid fire atm and it's pretty dull, I played the cannon class at launch but that class bored me to tears.

-is gold always in short supply? I never feel like I have enough gold to do much enchanting or buy gear

-does armor actually do much? Or should I just focus on items with better stats/high magic find

VandalD

No, life and mana leech doesn't work on skills at all. Instead of taking the point away from skills, it gives auto attacking a point. Still, I'm sure there are mods that would at least change melee/physical attack skills to give leech, since that'd fit more into what D2 did.

I haven't looked up all the info on offhanding, as having a shield is always preferable to me purely for the block chance, but I think any effects on one weapon only happen when you attack with that weapon. I don't remember ever seeing pure stats on weapons. I'm not sure how the 2nd weapon interacts with skills.

Procs only work with skills that use weapon damage. Skills like Glaive Throw will never proc the Outlander's own Poison Burst, for example, since it uses flat skill damage, while Rapid Fire will.

Gold is always at about the same supply. The drops don't increase in size in later levels - or if they do, it's not very noticeable. Main ways to get gold are to sell everything you don't need (shift click things in your inventory to send them to the pet quickly, send pet back to town when it's full up), and raise your gold drop bonus with certain equipment.

Armor helps, but eventually damage seems to be so high that it stops mattering as much. In my experience playing on Veteran and some Elite, block and dodge are far more valuable than armor values. As an Outlander, I'd say you should focus on stats and mana regen.

What difficulty are you playing on? Below Veteran would be far too easy for anyone who has played these kind of games before. Have you tried the Embermage? I think it has a good charge bar setup, where you use your spells and auto attack to bring up your charge bar, then you're able to spam your most mana intensive spells with the infinite mana and damage boost.

Thanks for the reply, I'm playing on veteran (and enemies hit hard, death comes quite fast at times.
Starting over with another class is not an option, I'd delete the game out of boredom before I ever made it back to where I am on this char.

I might look for a mod that lets me change my class at will or something, but I was hoping there would be a fun to play build for outlander.
So far it's been nothing but mindless clicking mixed with some don't stand in the fire.

SteveWD40

It saddens me the POE and D3 threads are so active and this one is dead, considering it's arguably the better of the 3 (depending on your tastes).

I presume it's the mod scene that kills the online side, which is what brings the community?

VandalD

It saddens me the POE and D3 threads are so active and this one is dead, considering it's arguably the better of the 3 (depending on your tastes).

I presume it's the mod scene that kills the online side, which is what brings the community?
I'd say it's more the lack of a secure server environment that makes people not want to group up in this game. That's the biggest thing TL2 lacks. There was a decent amount of fan support for the idea of dedicated servers for TL2, but Runic didn't have the ability to put that feature into the game for whatever reason. Some sort of legitimacy and control needs to be in place for there to be community, as opposed to what I'm sure is mainly a lot of people playing by themselves or with a friend or two.

SteveWD40

I'd say it's more the lack of a secure server environment that makes people not want to group up in this game. That's the biggest thing TL2 lacks. There was a decent amount of fan support for the idea of dedicated servers for TL2, but Runic didn't have the ability to put that feature into the game for whatever reason. Some sort of legitimacy and control needs to be in place for there to be community, as opposed to what I'm sure is mainly a lot of people playing by themselves or with a friend or two.

Fair point. You would think former Diablo 2 developers would see that need, they were planning an MMO at one point after all and the need for servers would be apparent.

Loving Synergies, the mob packs are immense and the loot is a waterfall.

Okay, so I finally grabbed this via the Steam sale. Played for a little over an hour so far as an Embermage.

Initial impressions:

1. Certainly a big step up over TL1. I could barely play that game.

2. Art style still isn't my cup of tea, at least for this genre. Diablo III still has the best art direction over this and PoE. Subjective yes, but that's how I feel.

3. For everything else about systems that may or may not be better than other games in the genre, combat is on par or only slightly better than PoE (which wasn't that great). And as important as the stats/items systems are, combat in this genre is still the most key aspect in terms of retaining attention. And I have to say Diablo III (despite the problems the combat does have) is still easily best in class (and by one or two steps above everything else) in terms of feel and fluidity. Shame that most everything else is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Nymerio

Okay, so I finally grabbed this via the Steam sale. Played for a little over an hour so far as an Embermage.

Initial impressions:

1. Certainly a big step up over TL1. I could barely play that game.

2. Art style still isn't my cup of tea, at least for this genre. Diablo III still has the best art direction over this and PoE. Subjective yes, but that's how I feel.

3. For everything else about systems that may or may not be better than other games in the genre, combat is on par or only slightly better than PoE (which wasn't that great). And as important as the stats/items systems are, combat in this genre is still the most key aspect in terms of retaining attention. And I have to say Diablo III (despite the problems the combat does have) is still easily best in class (and by one or two steps above everything else) in terms of feel and fluidity. Shame that most everything else is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Yeah, I went back to D3 recently and played a couple times through Inferno, for all it's problems the combat is not one of them. Doesn't matter what class I play the combat has such a satisfying feeling to it.

What Torchlight does best, for me at least, is the randomization of the levels. I like the big open areas, finding secret areas, getting the golden key, etc.

Ideally there should be game that has the best from the three games: Skill System from Path of Exile, Combat from Diablo 3 and the Areas/Gameplay/Secrets (dunno what to call it) from Torchlight 2.

Edit: Oh and I wish it were possible to play this couch coop. Such a missed opportunity.

SteveWD40

Edit: Oh and I wish it were possible to play this couch coop. Such a missed opportunity.

I really don't know what Runic are doing right now but it seems to me they have all but left TL2 to rot, even the OSX port is nowhere to be found, let alone any kind of official expansion.

I think controller support would be a welcome addition at the very least, as well as a TV friendly UI option.

So how do quests work? I was playing with a friend who was a few levels higher than me in an online game I hosted. He said he'd already done the quest I was on. But I thought everything was randomized?

Guess I'm not clear on how multiplayer works. If I joined a different game with my same character, would all my quests still be active even though the world in that game was generated to be different than the one I was playing earlier?

VandalD

While we're on this topic, are there other similar games that do have this option?
Not anything recent that I'm aware of, and certainly not anything on PC. I actually quite liked the PS1 version of Diablo in part because you could play with two people. There's also the console Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath games, which I also liked for their own merits. Diablo 3 on consoles looks to try to deliver on couch co-op though, from what I read.
So how do quests work? I was playing with a friend who was a few levels higher than me in an online game I hosted. He said he'd already done the quest I was on. But I thought everything was randomized?

Guess I'm not clear on how multiplayer works. If I joined a different game with my same character, would all my quests still be active even though the world in that game was generated to be different than the one I was playing earlier?
I don't think quests are randomized. I've run into the same ones each time I raise a character. Joining a higher level character's game won't lock you out of doing your own quests. You could join someone who's beaten the game (but NOT someone in a different level of NG+) and finish the whole game yourself, if you had the time and inclination.

spirity

Not anything recent that I'm aware of, and certainly not anything on PC. I actually quite liked the PS1 version of Diablo in part because you could play with two people. There's also the console Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath games, which I also liked for their own merits. Diablo 3 on consoles looks to try to deliver on couch co-op though, from what I read.

There's also more recently Sacred 2.

People have had varying degrees of success with xpadder in various games, though its usually a kludgy workaround from what I gather.

Nymerio

I played Sacred 2 with a friend on PS3, the game is crappy but the couch co-op more than made up for that. If a crappy game like that is fun in local co-op, just imagine how much fun could be had with a game that's already good.

Anyway, started a new character with Synergies and the Combine Them All mod pack recently. Synergies on veteran is no joke, but I'm really enjoying the challenge.

Nymerio

Loot system? It's like Diablo in that everyone only sees their own loot. If you mean the loot itself than it's definitely better than Diablo.

spirity

Someone gifted me this game. Is the loot system actually fun? Or is it some bullshit like Diablo 3?

Its the polar opposite of D3. There's actually a ton of modifiers on gear and weapons. However, where D3 missed the mark, Torchlight 2 overshot it imo. TL2 is a lootopia and finding an upgrade can be a bit tedious because of the array of abilities and loot you can get. You can also augment your loot adding more bonuses.

It -is- fun however. If you love loot, you'll like TL2. Just start on veteran though, because normal difficulty is way too easy.

Have a look through this for an idea on the loot: http://torchlight2armory.com/items#table:items_default+0+null+null+null+100

Its the polar opposite of D3. There's actually a ton of modifiers on gear and weapons. However, where D3 missed the mark, Torchlight 2 overshot it imo. TL2 is a lootopia and finding an upgrade can be a bit tedious because of the array of abilities and loot you can get. You can also augment your loot adding more bonuses.

It -is- fun however. If you love loot, you'll like TL2. Just start on veteran though, because normal difficulty is way too easy.

Have a look through this for an idea on the loot: http://torchlight2armory.com/items#table:items_default+0+null+null+null+100
Good. Only reason I don't play D3 is because you get nothing but trash items 99% of the time. Makes a loot grind very unpleasant.

So how does NG+ work? I started a Berserker on normal and haven't died once, do I get an option to change it each time I enter a NG+ or what?

So how does NG+ work? I started a Berserker on normal and haven't died once, do I get an option to change it each time I enter a NG+ or what?

Each time you enter a NG+ the difficulty scales up. I think in the first one, IIRC, level 1 enemies become around level 50 and so on. If you want to change it to veteran you will need to host an online game, which will allow you to change the difficulty for the session. Just make it private if you don't want anyone joining.

Each time you enter a NG+ the difficulty scales up. I think in the first one, IIRC, level 1 enemies become around level 50 and so on. If you want to change it to veteran you will need to host an online game, which will allow you to change the difficulty for the session. Just make it private if you don't want anyone joining.

What difficulty would you guys recommend then, Veteran?

lordy88

Is there a link to the 'Combine Them All' mod outside of steam?

I purchased Torchlight II through their website, and unfortunately I'm not able to access a lot of the mods that are released :-(

VandalD

Is there a link to the 'Combine Them All' mod outside of steam?

I purchased Torchlight II through their website, and unfortunately I'm not able to access a lot of the mods that are released :-(
I didn't see it posted anywhere else. Here's a possible solution from the official forums on Workshop only mods. Not exactly ideal, but it sounds like it'd work.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54237
BrianW said:
The .mod files are exactly the same. I'm pretty sure you can download the Steam demo of Torchlight II and then subscribe to the mods to grab them from the workshop. Then just add them to your mods folder in Documents\My Games\runic games\Torchlight 2\. Let me know if that works. If not, I'll look into it.

lordy88

I didn't see it posted anywhere else. Here's a possible solution from the official forums on Workshop only mods. Not exactly ideal, but it sounds like it'd work.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54237

That's a great idea! I'll try that out right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I tested it out, and it worked! It's a little tricky to figure out, so I'll outline it here for anyone else:

• Download and launch Torchlight 2 Demo
  • Quit Demo
  • Subscribe the to mod that you want in the steam workshop
  • launch the demo again
  • This should make steam automatically download the mod (it should be in you downloads page of steam)
  • Now go to this path in your directory to find the mod:
    Code:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[userid]\ugc\referenced\[many numbers]\mods\[mod name]\[mod name].mod
  • Bam! Mod download complete!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm going to finally give this a real shot with my boyfriend; what are the must have mods/workshop subs? OP hasn't been edited in a year and the thread moves really slow, so I figured I'd ask again rather than try to find an outdated post.

At the moment I only have Blanks Landmarks and Extra Chunky since they're made by Runic employees. Synergies seems really popular but I'm not sure if I should use it for a first playthrough? What else? Thanks for the answers!

VandalD

I'm going to finally give this a real shot with my boyfriend; what are the must have mods/workshop subs? OP hasn't been edited in a year and the thread moves really slow, so I figured I'd ask again rather than try to find an outdated post.

At the moment I only have Blanks Landmarks and Extra Chunky since they're made by Runic employees. Synergies seems really popular but I'm not sure if I should use it for a first playthrough? What else? Thanks for the answers!
CombineThemAll is something to consider. It looks like it includes Blanks Landmarks and Extra Chunky, which I didn't know until just now. Has a lot of usability changes in it, like potions stacking and better minimap keybinds.

Synergies is pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd recommend it for a first playthrough. That's really up to you, whether you'd like to play a more vanilla game first. The base game isn't bad at all, especially propped up with mods that increase user friendliness. One thing I particularly like about Synergies is that you can get new skills at much earlier levels, so you can find out much earlier what you'd want to use and focus on, and the mod is supposedly balanced around that.

If you do decide to play with Synergies, make sure it's loaded last, at the bottom of the mod list, especially if you get another bigger mod like CombineThemAll.

My friend bought a 4 pack of this game during the Steam sale and gave one to me. This is my first Diablo-style game, and I must say it's very fun so far. I couldn't decide which class to choose so I made one of each. I'm enjoying the Embermage the most so far; I'm level 21 or 22. I play co-op with my friend who uses an Outlander.

I'm kind of undecided on the other classes. I have a level 13 Outlander with an auto attack-oriented build, but I wasn't very impressed with the damage. I probably should have done a different build. I see Focus-oriented builds are popular with Outlanders. But if I want a magic damager I'll just stick with my Embermage.

I have a level 11 Engineer with a canon-oriented build, and that is pretty fun. He doesn't do very much damage though. I'm thinking of making a new Engineer with a tank build. My friend's Outlander is really squishy so a build that lets me tank and spam Force Field would probably be a great help.

And lastly I have a level 9 Berserker with an auto attack/frost-oriented build. He already deals massive single-target damage but he also takes a lot of abuse, so I put a point into Shadow Burst for the heal. I put a few points into Frost Breath but I regret it, since Howl is a much better debuff. He's fun because he does so much damage, but I could see it getting really frustrating at higher levels when the monsters get tougher and I start getting burst down.

Nymerio

Of all the classes I had the most fun with the Berserker. You have to skill that wolf jump thingy that gives you HP per enemy hit. You just run in hit everything that moves and if you get low you jump through them to regen. Works great.

Dunkelgrau

I played the demo and the interface showed me the loot (with text above it), after killing my enemies. Now I bought the full-version and I miss this feature. Am I doing something wrong?

]blacky[;78530973 said:
I played the demo and the interface showed me the loot (with text above it), after killing my enemies. Now I bought the full-version and I miss this feature. Am I doing something wrong?

I can't remember where it is but, there is a way to turn that on. Check out the help screen, it should tell you.

Top Bottom