• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Davidion

Huh, I must have gotten lucky on this part with my engineer. I am playing veteran and just beat the arena of slaughter last night without dying. Although I do *love* my unique ice cannon! I just ran around with my forcefield always on, blasting away. The final round took some time, but everything eventually died. The damn trolls in Act 3 are what have killed me the most. I swear they have instant kill or something.

Well, you're a tank, which helps. The arena is all about endurance. Both this and the lightbulb arena sucks for Embermages.

Thunder Locus, Blazing Pillars, Prismatic Bolts, and then run like hell while liberally applying health pots. That's how I got through it. Oh also, avoid those stupid flame bursts; getting through this place has as much to do with avoidance as it does anything else.

ZZMitch

Well, you're a tank, which helps. The arena is all about endurance. Both this and the lightbulb arena sucks for Embermages.

Thunder Locus, Blazing Pillars, Prismatic Bolts, and then run like hell while liberally applying health pots. That's how I got through it. Oh also, avoid those stupid flame bursts; getting through this place has as much to do with avoidance as it does anything else.

Yeah those things got me a lot. I realized that in TL2 I am really bad a visually identifying everything on the screen since there is so much happening at once I can't really focus. I also find myself staring at my hotbar/health instead of my character sometimes heh.

Clydefrog

I have an ice cannon with a bunch of items increasing my ice damage but I just found a unique fire cannon. Should I stick to fire cannons and start pumping points into Fire and Spark for the added fire dmg?

Raxum

Any significant mods worth checking out yet?

I've been trying out this mod called SynergiesMod lately. It's pretty good so far, the addition of the necromancer is a bit unbalanced but they plan to add in a lot of stuff, and apparently have added in a lot of end-game content that I haven't gotten to.

VandalD

Coders have been working on GUTS (the editor) and the rest of the folks have been working on a new tileset with new creatures. They're also adding dungeons exclusively for New Game+, which I didn't know about. Looks like the next patch will be a big one. They've posted a teaser pic of the new tileset.

Runic Forums topic "Sneak Peak"

VandalD

Didn't know about the
Minecraft Easter egg cave

Was a nice surprise.
Tried many times to find that. It just didn't want to spawn. Either it's rare or I'm just unlucky.

Trying out HC Elite engy

I can't think of anything more but can some one help me finish my build?

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=3#dtrgdiHwu9IzlM7uNPw64bMzDiYHX1y
I would put at least one point in Onslaught, to hop in and out of a fight, and at least one point in Forcefield. Aside from that, I'm not very experienced with engies, so I can't help much. With all the stunning potentially happening from Shield Bash, Coup de Grace is probably worth at least one point.

VandalD

Do some caves only spawn some of the time? I didn't know that. I just move through areas and move on generally.
I'm pretty sure it's only the more hidden or referential kinds of things like what you found that will randomly spawn or not, unless there's stuff in NG+ that acts that way. I haven't missed sidequests or anything important due to randomness. Unless, again, I've been very unlucky..

Morokh

There are already some mods in the modding section of the official runic forums, but the actual modding tools still aren't out yet.

VandalD

From the front page of SynergiesMOD regarding the release of GUTS, the editor:
The release of GUTS is imminent!
Runic has been hard at work on their editor, and it is almost ready for release!

The team over there has been using SynergiesMOD as a basis for their pre-mod conversion program, and I gotta say thank you to them! Without such a program SynergiesMOD would have never been able to use the Editor to continue its production, and might have had problems continuing on its own. when was the last time you saw a company take time and effort simply to help the community convert their hard work in unauthorized modding?

If this is anything it is the example that TL2 and RUNIC will build one of the best modding legacies we have seen in a long time. I look forward to seeing the other great mods that will arise.

This mod, this community, and myself will stand the test of time. But soon you should be able to have other play styles to enjoy as well, I look forward to seeing them, and playing them as much as you!

Thank you Runic for your time, and thank you TravisB for your efforts on our behalf!

Salan

Travis Baldree also made a post about GUTS. Looks like they're pretty close. I would think we're getting the new tileset/monsters and the editor at the same time. Really hoping the modding scene gets huge when GUTS is out. TL2 has a lot of potential on top of being good in its own right.

Ok so for someone that liked TL1 enough to finish it, would you guys recommend this one? Are there enough improvements and is the story mode engaging enough to justify me getting it?

Not a HUGE dungeon crawler fan but more of a casual one...

spiritfox

Ok so for someone that liked TL1 enough to finish it, would you guys recommend this one? Are there enough improvements and is the story mode engaging enough to justify me getting it?

Not a HUGE dungeon crawler fan but more of a casual one...

If you like TL1 then TL2 is everything good about the first game with added improvements and a bigger world. There isn't much of a story much it's a good dungeon crawler with lots of loot.

Recently finished TL1 and played the TL2 demo last night. If I buy the game through a future Steam sale will it pick up where my demo left off?

Grinchy

Banned
^Yes, it does.The other day I played the demo for like 5 hours. I had to play more so I bought the game and all my demo characters were still there.

This game has the perfect demo. You don't have to worry about restrictions or anything. You can play it for hours and build your character exactly as you would in the full game, and when you're good and addicted, it's time to pay up. I didn't even want to wait for another sale, I had to have it. Great game so far.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else here used the torchlight 2 remastered graphics mod ?

jediyoshi

Steam workshop now enabled
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=200710

First mods

respec potion http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135164919&searchtext=
8 player mp http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135166277&searchtext=

edit: actual update
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=54097

New Content

New Unique and Legendary weapons for every item class
New class armor sets
New MapRoom maps
Additional side dungeons in Act 1 and 2 during New Game Plus play
Nether-Realm portals take you to a new Nether-Realm tileset, with new creatures
Headcrab pet
Alpaca pet
Panda pet
Stag pet

Modding

Modding is now fully enabled. For Steam users, Steam Workshop support is integrated.
Modding is fully supported in multiplayer - filter available games by active mod combinations. With Steam Workshop, automatically subscribe to and match configurations to join modded games!
New to modding? Here's how to get started with GUTS - the Torchlight II GUTS wiki

Bugfixes

Socketable-granted DOT effects now get character damage bonuses from focus and items
Fixed issue where Reflection would change your target while fishing, which would leave you in a bad state
Various protections to prevent poorly formed mods
Other minor fixes

VandalD

Oooh, GUTS! Finally! I've spent a few hours today just seeing what I can muck around with in the editor. Didn't accomplish much. Just this working pants slot for pets. There's nothing in the slot in the picture, but, yeah, pants go in there and raise pet stats accordingly. Between what the Synergies mod has already shown, and me being able to put in a working equipment slot for pets as a total newbie within a few hours.. I'm expecting great things from the mod community.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The game was on sale today so I got it as a gift from a friend. Any advice for someone familiar with genre but not wanting to mistakes as I level up characters on the first run?

VandalD

The game was on sale today so I got it as a gift from a friend. Any advice for someone familiar with genre but not wanting to mistakes as I level up characters on the first run?
Take advantage of the respec NPC in town. You can pay to respec the three latest points you've spent, and the lower level you try out a skill and potentially respec out of it (I believe it's free below level 11) if you don't like it, the less gold it'll cost. See what skills feel best to you and go from there. Veteran will give a decent challenge. Elite expects you to use items from your shared stash and powergame your stats and skills.

kafiend

Tried that, keeps crashing. Thanks anyway. I'll have to keep my eye on that thread.

I used this a long time ago (I think). Might be an issue with making sure anti-aliasing is off in the game and also making sure its not forced on via your graphic cards driver control panel.

This might be the wrong place to post. But are there any spots available in a 4-pack on Steam? My buddy and I are trying to find two copies for $7.50 a piece. (Alternatively, if there are two people here who also want a copy, I can front the $30 and split up the gift copies.) PM me.

kafiend

This might be the wrong place to post. But are there any spots available in a 4-pack on Steam? My buddy and I are trying to find two copies for $7.50 a piece. (Alternatively, if there are two people here who also want a copy, I can front the $30 and split up the gift copies.) PM me.

You will probably have more luck askinf and filling in the Steam thread here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507237

There was a guy in there looking to fill Torchlight II 4pack spots just now.

Kard8p3

So, this game is currently ten bucks on steam, is it worth the price? Is the online still active? Thanks for the help guys :)

Orlandu84

So, this game is currently ten bucks on steam, is it worth the price? Is the online still active? Thanks for the help guys :)

Ten dollars for this game is theft, and you are the thief!

I have played Torchlight II for almost 80hours and loved it. The replay value of the game is tremendous thanks to the active modding community. It is not as polished as Diablo III in many respects, but I have found the game to be consistently engaging and fun. If you like action rpg's, then you should certainly try this game out.

Definitely. It's a fun ARPG. I won't say it's the best one on the market but, it's definitely worth $10. It's even a steal at the $20 full price in all honesty. Online is still pretty active from what I can tell. I hosted a game yesterday and it was full the entire time I played. The server browser comes up with a good many games available too.

Nymerio

I just recently started playing again with a friend and we're having a blast. Absolutely worth the 10 bucks. I just wish they had the same online functionality like Path of Exile and Diablo 3.

balddemon

Banned
now that the modding tools are out, I am gonna start playing again. downloaded a bunch of mods, including the synergies and a new pet skins one. playing as a necromancer with a panda lol.

now that the modding tools are out, I am gonna start playing again. downloaded a bunch of mods, including the synergies and a new pet skins one. playing as a necromancer with a panda lol.

I am with you on that that Necromancer so far seems like a fun class to play as

RedSwirl

Got back into this game. For some reason it get's really tough once you hit Grunheim. That's the final area of the game right?

Nymerio

I've been playing with a friend on normal and it's extremely easy but he doesn't want to switch to Veteran because it curts his damage output by half :/. I'm playing a berserker and it's awesome but I think that class is OP. Passive talent for 10% life per crit + that wolf attack that heals you for 10% for every enemy it hits. I don't ever need to use a health potion. Once the charge bar is full I'm almost invincible.

MasLegio

Banned
so is the steam version now better than the one bought directly from the developer considering the latter does not have workshop-support

Kard8p3

So I ended up buying it, I played a little last night, started out as an Outlander. Really fun game! Definitely glad I bought it :)

Orlandu84

So I ended up buying it, I played a little last night, started out as an Outlander. Really fun game! Definitely glad I bought it :)

Glad you like the game so far. I would suggest that you play with the game a bit before trying out any mods. I've mostly played an embermage, but I will probably roll up a new character when I get around to installing some new mods.

balddemon

Banned
I am with you on that that Necromancer so far seems like a fun class to play as

seemed OP in act 1, now I'm in act 2 and it kinda sucks. minion build anyways. although before I just quit, I respecced so that I have some of the passive that increases minion dmg as well, which should help.

Top Bottom