• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

GhaleonEB said:
I played the demo for a bit this morning to be sure I wanted to pick it up - I did, and I did - and the 'quit to title' or such option from the pause menu saves your location instantly. I did that, then re-loaded to see where it saved, and I wasn in the exact same spot in the dungeon.

It seems easy enough that my daughter can play through on Normal, while I re-start on Hard.

Yeah, I started the game, and then killed my save and restarted on Hard. Normal is just boring as hell. I can't say that hard is much better yet, but its definitely a step up. Do you happen to know if the different forms your pet takes do varying amounts of damage or is it simply a visual thing?

Ifrit said:
Thanks, I'm just looking for the most fun class to play with and not waste attribute points
(or whatever they're called, I still haven't started it, I'm only using my limited diablo and diablo 2 knowledge)
on skills that'ill become useless later on, I've read people recommend starting the game on hard since the game seems to be pretty easy, should I do it now or save it for a second playthrough?

Also: How about some tips on the alchemist, I just picked him since he looked the coolest

You might as well play on hard or very hard from the start, it won't get really challenging until you get to level 30 - 35 of the main dungeon. And sorry, I suck at alch! If I recall, ember lance is your best buddy.

Anerythristic said:
I guess using those secret dungeon scrolls is a little too much grinding.

I'm a level 13 Alchemist going up against level 6 and 7 enemies at this point and I keep leveling up. I just beat that Lich boss. Should I start over or will the enemies catch up, or level with me?

I am playing on hard, should I play on very hard?

In the main dungeon the floor is also the level of the enemies you're facing on that floor, so if you push on you should balance out eventually. The main problem with being several levels higher than the enemies is that if a warp portal opens or something of the like then you'll suddenly be facing stuff that is scaled to match your level, and the spike can be a little disorienting.

Once you've finished the game, the infinite dungeon opens and that scales as you go. If you go in at level 40 the first floor will be scaled for level 40, if you leave and come back at level 45 it will repopulate and scale to level 45. It's really good for hardcore mode, because you can cautiously grind your way to a 10 level lead on the main story dungeon by clearing through the infinite dungeon, making the story dungeon pretty trivial.

edit:

Sol.. said:
I don't think that's true. Because I carry Adam's sword all the time for the increased chance of rares. It doesn't scale with my overall DPS although for some inexplicable reason it keeps it up when compared with vastly superior weaopns. You can see my 500+ damage weapon doing it's thing and the sword of adam lurking around in the 200s. Even though my total DPS is like 1000+. Now what that total number DOES do is factor into the weapon damage skills.

Also once you hit the dark temple several things can one shot a vanquisher. Making things incredibly challenging. Even when kiting you can't fully avoid that lazer beam of a shot. Especially given the camera. You can't even see whats around the corner so thats where the majority of my deaths come from.

Ah yeah that's true, it's been a while since I played. The dark temple is just unfair, specifically the tall chicks who summon the skeletons. I fucking hate them. It's the main reason that my hardcore mode vanq uses a super fast pistol with massive knockback and carries a shield.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Oy...

So I finish downloading Torchlight from Steam and give it a try. First thing I do is head to the options menu to flick all the graphical options as high as they will go. Naturally this requires a restart of the game; sure, no problem.

A few minutes later... nothing.

I try and restart the game myself... nothing.

Can't bring up the game at all.

Anyone have this problem before?

Shambles

DOO13ER said:
Oy...

So I finish downloading Torchlight from Steam and give it a try. First thing I do is head to the options menu to flick all the graphical options as high as they will go. Naturally this requires a restart of the game; sure, no problem.

A few minutes later... nothing.

I try and restart the game myself... nothing.

Can't bring up the game at all.

Anyone have this problem before?

Try right clicking on the game in steam and click on something like 'verify game contents' or something like that. I had L4D2 on a computer that kept going BSOD of me. Worried it was faulty hardware or drivers I eventually found out it just had some corrupted game files.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
No beans. It's strange because I get no error message whatsoever, and it happens no matter which way I try and get into the game.

I double click, get the Windows 7 hourglass for a few seconds like it's loading, then nothing.

I'm at a loss. I don't know even know if it's a Steam issue or the game.

Is there at least a way to get a refund?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No, there isn't. Delete the runic folder in appdata/local. Resets your settings, and don't play at max.

So I'm new to this game and playing on 360. I have a gun in one hand and a hatchet in the other. My character only seems to shoot. What do I press to use the hatchet?

Kafel

Banned
CitizenCope said:
So I'm new to this game and playing on 360. I have a gun in one hand and a hatchet in the other. My character only seems to shoot. What do I press to use the hatchet?

X,X,X,X,X

The demo is quite long. I'm glad I could enjoy it without having to buy the game. It was enough for me.

AkuMifune

Banned
I never got to play Torchlight until now, and I'm having a lot of fun with the XBLA version. My only complaint so far is that I'm really disappointed in the achievements. In a game like this they should be there to help extend the life of the game a provide some kind of extra challenge. Where's the hardcore achievement? It would be cool to have something for that, especially since it's what I'm going for.

AkuMifune said:
I never got to play Torchlight until now, and I'm having a lot of fun with the XBLA version. My only complaint so far is that I'm really disappointed in the achievements. In a game like this they should be there to help extend the life of the game a provide some kind of extra challenge. Where's the hardcore achievement? It would be cool to have something for that, especially since it's what I'm going for.
I don't know why they wasted two achievements on enchanting items. The Steam version has 66 achievements and they could have chosen better ones than what they did.

More devs should just put challenges into their games, like the leaderboard crowns in Perfect Dark on XBLA. That's an easy workaround for the achievement limit.

CitizenCope said:
It's a distance thing. Get in close.

xbhaskarx

The Achievements are definitely weak and rather uninteresting. I don't really care about Achievements but I can understand why others are disappointed.

More people should do what tri-Ace did with Star Ocean 4. You had 900 Battle Trophies, which basically acted as mini-achievements in the game. Every 10% of Battle Trophies you got, you got an achievement. I mean, the Battle Trophies for SO4 sucked (SO3's were a lot better in my opinion), but you get the idea.

I don't get why they could have done something like that for the XBLA Torchlight. It would have added a bit more re-playability to it, in my opinion.

GhaleonEB

I forgot to restart on Hard and just plowed through to past the first boss without ever having my health dented more than 10%. Whoops. Gonna restart tomorrow. Definitely feels too easy for a "normal" setting.

I wish the Help menu was more useful; it just lists the controls. There's a lot of pretty deeply packed menus and aspects of the game I'm still fumbling around trying to understand. Socketing? Those two guys in town that break stuff for gems, or something? I still don't know how to map spells or skills. The menus are very cluttered and it's not really intuitive (yet).

GhaleonEB said:
I forgot to restart on Hard and just plowed through to past the first boss without ever having my health dented more than 10%. Whoops. Gonna restart tomorrow. Definitely feels too easy for a "normal" setting.

I wish the Help menu was more useful; it just lists the controls. There's a lot of pretty deeply packed menus and aspects of the game I'm still fumbling around trying to understand. Socketing? Those two guys in town that break stuff for gems, or something? I still don't know how to map spells or skills. The menus are very cluttered and it's not really intuitive (yet).

You map them by highlighting one. hitting X, and then choosing the button you want to assign it to. From that same menu you can press up or down on the dpad to select the 2nd second set of shortcuts.

I still have no clue what determines how the pet uses the skills I give it. I assigned my wolf a fireball and he just appears to use it every single time its available. No real strategy involved at all. The menu system is a bit of a mess, and they wasted at least 3 buttons during gameplay that could have served a useful purpose (left stick in, dpad left and right). Having a lot of fun with it, but it's in desperate need of real instructions or a guide. Are my ranged spells considered ranged attacks or spells? Are the bonuses to spell speed applying to my Vanquishers ranged spells fired by a bow?

And has anyone else unlocked the Avatar shirt? Is that thing glitched or what? There's no shirt around the underarms. Just looks odd.

Ifrit

jim-jam bongs said:
You might as well play on hard or very hard from the start, it won't get really challenging until you get to level 30 - 35 of the main dungeon. And sorry, I suck at alch! If I recall, ember lance is your best buddy

Playing it on hard has been pretty easy so far, but I'm at level 10 so we'll see how it goes, I'm using mostly my summoning skeletons spell which is godlike at the moment while also using a lighting staff with drain ability for support

Loving the game, that pet is really convenient :)

GhaleonEB said:

The basic gist is that when you hit select to bring up the character window you have three panes, and you use the bumpers move between them. Within a pane, the triggers or D-pad will move you to the next tab left or right. D-Pad left or right will compare an item in your inventory to your current equipped item of the same type.

To bind a spell, I think you need to be on the skill-tree page. Hover over the skill and hit X to select a button for it (Y, A, or Left Trigger as possible slots). If you picked up a spell as loot, you need to highlight it from your inventory to "learn" it first, and then you can bind it to a button from the skill tree page. To teach your pet a spell, don't "learn" it from your inventory, but swap it into your pet's pouch first and then learn it.

And be sure to change your pet's posture (hit start from within the character menus). I go with aggressive for the most part because i like to hang back and do all kinds of spellish stuff.

Last bit is sockets. Some items have sockets you can embed gems into, with each gem having its own set of bonuses depending upon whether you socket it in a weapon or armor piece. You can use the two dudes in town to either a: break down the weapon to recover the gem for re-use, or break down the gems that you have currently slotted in an item to place different gems instead.

I know most people here know most or all of this, but this might help somebody new. I still have yet to mess with multiple skill configurations yet, but it looks like there is a way to swap different button bindings quickly during play. I only wish they had the same feature for equipped weapons and/or armor.

Ifrit said:
Loving the game, that pet is really convenient :)
Yeah, the pet handling was a great idea. Having him run to town to sell stuff is awesome. I send him out whenever I go fishing ;P

So apparently "permanent" means temporary to Runic. I gave my wolf the fish that was supposed to permanently change him into a troll. Worked fine until I fed him a fish that turned him into a spider, and then he reverted back to a wolf instead of back into the troll. I don't really mind, because the troll was too big.

Starting to regret only bumping it up to hard, because even that is a cakewalk. My party consists of me, my pet, a couple summoned skellies, and a summoned sword. Nothing that gets in the way of that lives very long, and even if I do get hit, I'm getting back about 15 HP for every time I hit an enemy, and on top of that I can hit a skill that more than doubles the HP I get back. It's fun. It's just not very balanced.

Is there a way to have multiple weapon sets like in PC version? I looked for it in the menus but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hollywood Duo said:
Is there a way to have multiple weapon sets like in PC version? I looked for it in the menus but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nope. They decided they already had enough complexity in mapping things to the gamepad so it had to go. This is according to an interview with the dev on the latest Bombcast.

Kinspiracy said:
So apparently "permanent" means temporary to Runic. I gave my wolf the fish that was supposed to permanently change him into a troll. Worked fine until I fed him a fish that turned him into a spider, and then he reverted back to a wolf instead of back into the troll. I don't really mind, because the troll was too big.

Starting to regret only bumping it up to hard, because even that is a cakewalk. My party consists of me, my pet, a couple summoned skellies, and a summoned sword. Nothing that gets in the way of that lives very long, and even if I do get hit, I'm getting back about 15 HP for every time I hit an enemy, and on top of that I can hit a skill that more than doubles the HP I get back. It's fun. It's just not very balanced.

Are you level 30 yet? The game always gets significantly harder for me around 30. Frustratingly hard, sometimes... but maybe I'm not playing right.

bathala

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Pretty amazing how long this demo is. I'm definitely buying though. Very cool game.
FYI. once u unlock the game. u can continue ur game where u left off from trial, but the achievements unlock during trial will remain lock.

i started over

How do you get the shared chest to work? I started playing with one character, dumped a bunch of orange and purple items into the chest, quit out, started a new character later and went to the chest, but it was empty.

Am I missing something? Do you have to be a certain level or finish a quest to use it?

Soka said:
Are you level 30 yet? The game always gets significantly harder for me around 30. Frustratingly hard, sometimes... but maybe I'm not playing right.

Nope, just hit 15. My little minions kick so much ass that I never really end up in any real trouble. It's weird that they let you just keep tossing out skellies. Perhaps limiting it to one or two at a time would have been wiser.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
The basic gist is that when you hit select to bring up the character window you have three panes, and you use the bumpers move between them. Within a pane, the triggers or D-pad will move you to the next tab left or right. D-Pad left or right will compare an item in your inventory to your current equipped item of the same type.

To bind a spell, I think you need to be on the skill-tree page. Hover over the skill and hit X to select a button for it (Y, A, or Left Trigger as possible slots). If you picked up a spell as loot, you need to highlight it from your inventory to "learn" it first, and then you can bind it to a button from the skill tree page. To teach your pet a spell, don't "learn" it from your inventory, but swap it into your pet's pouch first and then learn it.

And be sure to change your pet's posture (hit start from within the character menus). I go with aggressive for the most part because i like to hang back and do all kinds of spellish stuff.

Last bit is sockets. Some items have sockets you can embed gems into, with each gem having its own set of bonuses depending upon whether you socket it in a weapon or armor piece. You can use the two dudes in town to either a: break down the weapon to recover the gem for re-use, or break down the gems that you have currently slotted in an item to place different gems instead.

I know most people here know most or all of this, but this might help somebody new. I still have yet to mess with multiple skill configurations yet, but it looks like there is a way to swap different button bindings quickly during play. I only wish they had the same feature for equipped weapons and/or armor.

Yeah, the pet handling was a great idea. Having him run to town to sell stuff is awesome. I send him out whenever I go fishing ;P
Thanks for this, and everyone who chimed in. The menus really are a cluttered mess, but I'm starting to find my way through them. The help menu is quite weak.

I don't understand how the reputation system works - I'm getting more famous, and that means...what?

I got a nice fireball spell rocking alongside my huge enchanted shotgun (went with the ranged chick), and a healing spell. I'll probably just do two spells at at a time and keep them on the triggers, that's working quite well. I'm pumping up my critical hit chance upon leveling, and they're flying pretty fast now. BOOM BOOM BOOM

Hard might actually be a touch too easy, but it certainly throws some pretty big throngs of enemies at you; many more than I noticed in Normal. Or maybe I'm just not tearing through them as fast, not sure. But it's certainly a bit more satisfying and the huge hordes of undead in the portals are enough to give me pause, at least.

I can generally tell how well a game has hooked me by how long past my targeted bed time I inadvertantly stay up on the first night (always a work day, dammit). Torchlight had me up until midnight last night. Which puts it at the upper end of "oh shit it's what time?!".

Good stuff.

I gave that fireball skill to my pet. It's funny watching him run into fights shooting a fireball.

Anyone know why the four extra skills say 1/11 but you can't put points into them?

AEREC

CitizenCope said:

If you are next to an enemy it will auto use the hatchet, if you are far away it will auto use the gun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Might start over myself. Wish the game gave an indication of how the difficulties work. I assumed it was 'Diablo' style where Normal was balanced for new characters and then you would move to Hard and beyond on NG+.

Instead Normal is the dumbest shit I've experienced in a game such as this. Might just jump into V. Hard and take the pain.

Also disappointed in the quality of the port. Game does not seem optimized well. Somewhat janky performance, lots of slowdown issues, and using a ranged character it is FILLED with threshold zones where your shots won't actually reach targets until you cross those invisible points(even when in the same little room as enemies watching the bullet trails pass right through them!). Again, just needed more time it feels, as the 360 is more than capable of handling this game better.

On the flipside, I -adore- using the controller for playing this, and it's the primary reason I don't want to return to the Steam version.

Brandon F said:
Also disappointed in the quality of the port. Game does not seem optimized well. Somewhat janky performance, lots of slowdown issues, and using a ranged character it is FILLED with threshold zones where your shots won't actually reach targets until you cross those invisible points(even when in the same little room as enemies watching the bullet trails pass right through them!).

This happens on PC too, you don't have unlimited range with your auto-attack.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Performance becomes a complete laughable joke when you get to the sunken ruins area, Must be stuck in the teens the whole time.

bathala said:
FYI. once u unlock the game. u can continue ur game where u left off from trial, but the achievements unlock during trial will remain lock.

i started over
Does it do the usual trial thing where it tells you when you get an achievement and asks if you want to unlock it? Or no?

Raide

Neuromancer said:
Does it do the usual trial thing where it tells you when you get an achievement and asks if you want to unlock it? Or no?

Yes, it does pop up saying "You would get this achievement if you unlocked the full game!"

Raide said:
Yes, it does pop up saying "You would get this achievement if you unlocked the full game!"
Cool thanks.

Another question- on the 360 version, I got sent a message from a friend saying I got a free respect potion. How do I use it? It's not in my inventory or anything. Thanks.

Edit: Oh I see. Only for new characters. =(

GhaleonEB

So I haven't come anywhere near dying so far, I'm at full heath, and some sort of reaper just teleported up out of the ground under me and killed me in one hit with no warning. I'm in the 3rd or 4th dungeon from that dude that gets the portal wand.

Should I expect this kind of thing often going forward? Because it was pure bullshit.

FrankT

Can't wait to grab this when I get back from vacation all from free MS points heh. First game I'll have bought in months.

GhaleonEB said:
So I haven't come anywhere near dying so far, I'm at full heath, and some sort of reaper just teleported up out of the ground under me and killed me in one hit with no warning. I'm in the 3rd or 4th dungeon from that dude that gets the portal wand.

Should I expect this kind of thing often going forward? Because it was pure bullshit.
Ouch. What happens when you die? Do you need to make a corpse run or something?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NullPointer said:
Respawn at current spot - loss of gold, exp and fame.
Respawn at current level entrance - loss of gold.
Respawn at Torchlight - no loss.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
I was given a set of three choices, with various penalties. One was to respawn back in town with no penalty, but I accidentally picked the wrong one (I was flustered) and lost over 3,000 XP and half my gold. I was so disgusted I turned it off.

It felt random and cheap. Nothing so far had put more than a dent in me, and then there's this grim reaper that rose up literally under me, and in one second I was dead, from full heath. Was rocking some great armor and such, no reason for it. Arg. I was trying to do a meticulous no-death run. Very, very ticked off.

GhaleonEB said:

LOL you are weak to its attack. It happens, I'm not sure about one hit for myself but Ive died in two or three hits from a fire based attack before when I was weak to it.. Are you playing on hard ? I'm playig my first playthrough on very hard and I've died around 6 to 8 times, the challenge is just right for me on very hard.

GhaleonEB

Anerythristic said:
LOL you are weak to its attack. It happens, I'm not sure about one hit for myself but Ive died in two or three hits from a fire based attack before when I was weak to it.. Are you playing on hard ? I'm playig my first playthrough on very hard and I've died around 6 to 8 times, the challenge is just right for me on very hard.
Yeah, Hard. Felt about right until that.

I have a huge aversion to cheap stuff like that. If I'd seen it in the demo, I would not have purchased the game. I'm fine with being weak to attacks, but an enemy that can show up on top of me for the one hit kill? Dumb, dumb design call. Going to take a nice long break from the game, see if I get back in the mood for it again at another time. I just have no desire to play a game where random stuff like that happens.

Hmmm, just defeated an area final boss on XBLA, Krag. He didn't drop any loot, keep an eye ot for this, as its possigble its a bug. I thought that was odd. Can your luck be that bad?

Played the demo on XBL, loved it and once I received the typical "OMG BUY THIS TO UNLOCK NUMBERS TO ADD YOUR PREVIOUS NUMBERS!" I was sold on it. Threw two hours into it and still loving it, I can see where people complain about the repetition but it's a hack n slash- what do you expect? I haven't played a game like this since Untold Legends on the PSP's launch! =O

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, Hard. Felt about right until that.

I have a huge aversion to cheap stuff like that. If I'd seen it in the demo, I would not have purchased the game. I'm fine with being weak to attacks, but an enemy that can show up on top of me for the one hit kill? Dumb, dumb design call. Going to take a nice long break from the game, see if I get back in the mood for it again at another time. I just have no desire to play a game where random stuff like that happens.
Through the main dungeon, that stuff is very rare (from my PC experiences, at least), but those side dungeons are meant to be a bit more difficult. That's a shitty way of doing it, but it doesn't happen very often, no.

Top Bottom