• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Flib

bought this drunkenly on a whim last night after watching the quick lok

and holy fuck, it's the best of these games since diablo, easily. i'm already horrendously addicted. pretty much no complaints at this point, other than wanting more classes.

epmode

So I can't get the in-game console to appear. I found the settings.txt file and changed CONSOLE :0 to CONSOLE :1, yet pressing tilde after the game loads does absolutely nothing. And after I quit the game, the console setting has gone back to 0.

Any ideas?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Wow the pet transformations are great. The ice elemental is quite impressive.

I heard there was a way to do permanent transformations, anyone figured this out yet?

epmode said:
So I can't get the in-game console to appear. I found the settings.txt file and changed CONSOLE :0 to CONSOLE :1, yet pressing tilde after the game loads does absolutely nothing. And after I quit the game, the console setting has gone back to 0.

Any ideas?

Press shift + `

epmode

Masta_Killah said:
Press shift + `
I know how to type ~
:(

It doesn't work in my game. And like I mentioned earlier, the file actually reverts back to CONSOLE :0 once I quit the game so something is clearly wrong.

Every other edit that I make to the settings file saves fine and isn't reverted after quitting.

leela

Neo Member
Torchlight just ate six hours of my life. I'm almost level 20 with my Destroyer. Great game so far, I'm loving the shared item chest and the ability to let your pet sell items. After being disappointed in the loot systems in Sacred 2 and Borderlands, it's nice to see a game nail it.

Anyone else having performance issues? I've got a fairly new computer (built it last year) and have tweaked the all the display options and still get random slowdowns. Seems to happen most when large groups of enemies dropping loot. Not a deal a breaker but I'd think it would run better on my system.

Dresden

Damn, I might buy this.

How's the Alchemist? It's the only class that looks interesting to me. Also, are there people modding the game and such? Or is the community too small for that?

Instro

Got this today, simply awesome, even better than Titans Quest which I got during the direct2drive sale recently. Definitely will be recommending this to everyone.

Id still be playing right now but I had to drag myself away to study for midterms. :lol

Just played the demo, game wasn't even on my radar until 2 hours ago.

Incredible, will definitely be picking this gem up. Really wish there was some online co-op though.

bdouble

Dresden said:
Damn, I might buy this.

How's the Alchemist? It's the only class that looks interesting to me. Also, are there people modding the game and such? Or is the community too small for that?
simply kickass. I'm level 15 and a melee character with sword and board. I have an army of imps, a golem and my dog who summons skeletons. I then beat on bosses with my electric gauntlet and a buff that gives me at the moment 40% dmg.

I might roll another Alch just to go into the caster tree. This like Mythos has 3 very distinct trees in each class and I love it.

I also really like how they did attribute points. Doesn't feel like I can really screw them up. I just keep a stockpile of them though for equipment requirements.

So unless I'm missing something, there's no way to see how many minions you have out?

As it is now it's really hard to know when things are going south as a summoner.

I'm so jealous that y'all are playing this! I can only hope the Mac version is released in the first quarter of 2010. Oh well, back to Borderlands I go...

Frostburn

Sigh, I need to stop reading threads on games that seem interesting because then I wake up and I realize I've bought said game even though I have plenty new ones to play already. I'm only up to level 7 but I'm loving it so far. This is also a great game to put on my new laptop when I finally pick one to buy.

It certainly has the Diablo feel (Down to some sounds being almost identical) and it is quite fun to play, I like the pet companion. I didn't know that the dungeon was even randomly generated till I started over on a different difficulty setting!

Dresden said:
Damn, I might buy this.

He is AWESOME!! Dual wielding fire wands kicks ass.
Game came out today so its hard to say if there will be a big modding community.

Awesome btw that you can hold Shift + left click to use your regular attack without clicking a target.

Tenkai Star said:
Dual wielding fire wands kicks ass.

20060519.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So far I like this better than Bayonetta, and I've only played this for like 10 minutes this morning.

Anyone else missing the share stash? I just cleared the library quest and ported back to town to empty my bags(currently lvl 13). When I went to the share stash that is the top of the town, it wasn't there. Am I missing something?

Frawdder

This game is so good. Almost four hours have passed and it's only felt like an hour (if that)...and now I'm starving, I haven't moved. :D

Virro

I want to hold out for the Mac client, but I don't want to wait months...and they seemed to indicate on the forums that they don't have a great license swap feature if you want to transfer your purchase from PC to Mac. Any updates on that front or someone hear differently?

LugNut74

This game is a pure joy to play. I got to lvl 10 then forced myself to go to bed. The best 20 bucks I will ever spend on a game ever. Highly recommended.

mavs

Very hard is pretty damn hard. My destroyer popped a health potion something like every other fight until I started a Vanquisher (on hard) and found a lvl 4 unique to give him.

Instro

Quick question, with the spells, how are those upgraded? Is there a way to add points, or do you pick up a new scroll that is simply a level higher?

"Quick question, with the spells, how are those upgraded? Is there a way to add points, or do you pick up a new scroll that is simply a level higher?"

That is one way. There are also passive magic skills in each classes skill tree that adds a skill level onto each of the three types of magic. Offensive, Defensive, and Charm.

mavs said:
Very hard is pretty damn hard. My destroyer popped a health potion something like every other fight until I started a Vanquisher (on hard) and found a lvl 4 unique to give him.
To me Very Hard feels pretty similar to going through Nightmare in D2 with mediocre (i.e all SP play) gear. It's easy to fuck up and die but still totally manageable. I also feel that a harder difficulty gives more incentive to really build my character "right" and not fuck around. Finding powerful items feels more rewarding since they really help out with the tougher enemies.

It's nowhere near as rough as Hell in D2 if you're going through solo.

Instro said:
Quick question, with the spells, how are those upgraded? Is there a way to add points, or do you pick up a new scroll that is simply a level higher?
You either find a higher level scroll or drop points into spell skills in your tree (the Alchemist has a few skills that gives + to spell levels). There may be other ways but those are the ones I've seen.

koji

Picked it up for €15 on Steam last night, such a steal, lovely game!
Makes me wonder why I sometimes pay €70 on games I hardly play...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sprsk said:
So far I like this better than Bayonetta, and I've only played this for like 10 minutes this morning.

Oh. Snap.

BTW, any clue how to respec? Or if you even can?

Dreavus

This game is amazingly fun and ridiculously addictive. I've played for around 3 hours tonight even though I just got Borderlands yesterday. ><

The ONE thing that has been annoying me so far is trying to use the "map overlay" while the Alchemist's 'ember shield' skill is active. Because the shield has a bright, white effect right around your character, it makes it really hard to see exactly where you are, since where your character stands is essentially a blind spot in the map overlay. You can't turn off ember shield once activated either; it only comes off when you've sustained sufficient damage.

It's a minor complaint; perhaps if they gave the option to change the colour of the ember shield it'd make things easier to see.

Shinjitsu said:
Wow the pet transformations are great. The ice elemental is quite impressive.

I heard there was a way to do permanent transformations, anyone figured this out yet?

Not sure about permanent change, but I just found a "big" fish that transforms him into a burrower for 3600 seconds, or one hour. That would last pretty much a whole play session. I'm a wuss though, and like keeping him as a cat. :p

There were permanent change fish in Fate, so I'd assume they came over to Torchlight as well. You won't see any until the later parts of the game, if I had to guess.

Top Bottom