• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

stuminus3

I have complete faith in Brian Fargo delivering, Avellone or no Avellone. The guy knows what we want, and he's got the team that can do it.

Perkel

Banned
200k in an hour, is that a record?

I think it is faster than Project Eternity. Hard to say. Time is much different. They started it in not optimal time for either US or EU. In few hours it will be prime time for europe and then money will be flowing like mad.

Beckx

In for the $20 digital level. Excited, but now just need to forget this exists until the day I get to download it.

FACE

Banned
I think it is faster than Project Eternity. Hard to say. Time is much different. They started it in not optimal time for either US or EU. In few hours it will be prime time for europe and then money will be flowing like mad.

Yup, they should've picked a better time to start this.

Maybe time of day but the time of year is perfect. Just got my tax refund and pledged for the 95 tier.

Durante

It's the best deal imo.
Yeah, it's what I backed at.

I'm actually somewhat relieved that this project is not by Obsidian and with Avellone (and the Eternity crew) on board. I might have spent truly stupid amounts of money if that were the case.

wrowa

The pitch video actually eased pretty much all of my concerns. It's great to see Fargo immediately addressing the issues of having a second kickstarter already.

The lack of Avellone still hurts and I doubt that he'll be joining the team as a stretch goal (let's face it, he is spreading himself too thin already), but I have faith in the team.

Also, the artwork is great.

To be quite honest, I wished that this was Project Eternity. The concept and art are so much more interesting... It's just lacking the people I trust the most. :(

Aaron

Are you a Wasteland 2 backer? They sent an email today explaining the Torment deal for your concerns specifically.
I understand their reasons for it, but as a W2 backer and potential backer for Torment, I personally can't accept them. They still haven't proven they can deliver what they promised with the money W2 got. Not that it matters though. They are going to breeze past their goal for this game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
of9bGDI.jpg

The $2k statue looks amazing..

Uq7kz6z.png

Detachable face!

If the game can live up to this concept —

That’s our primary theme: What does one life matter? We're going to help you tell a story, and in the end you’ll have explored your answer to this question. You might decide that one life is the most important thing in the world, if it’s the right life. You might decide that a life means nothing, though Life itself has meaning. You might decide that Life has no value at all. We won’t force you toward a specific answer in your search. But we will force you to think.

— it will be a truly memorable adventure indeed. I'm in.

mclem

No thanks. Finish your first kickstarter, and prove you can actually get it done. Will just buy the game when it's finally released (if it's any good).

I mentioned in an earlier thread about why that's simply not realistic. Admittedly, it's not realistic due to a fundamental flaw in the industry, but that's absolutely not something that can change on a dime.

Perkel

Banned
"just as PS:T strove to defy RPG tropes, so too will Torment – including some tropes that were established by PS:T "

They are going for design which made PST what it is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why is the first boxed tier $15 more than Wasteland 2's was (+ shipping again)?

Without even mentioning it's an old school large box or having extras like the cloth map.

The digital copies are more expensive too... Does this indicate this will be their main/big game or what?

The pledge goal is the same for both projects so given that they couldn't make one bigger/better than the other.

It might end up with more money than Wasteland 2 at this pace but still, both projects will have a ton more than asked.

Edit: I saw the Wasteland 2 update about this. I guess I'm ok with it if they don't take ANY main team staff from Wasteland 2.

mclem

Yeah, it joins Dreamfall and Eternity as the third project I backed before reading anything or watching the video.

I don't think I've actually watched any videos prior to backing. If the text grabs me, I put in a gut amount then. I'll modify it based on the video when I do get around to watching it or the later updates (PE in particular managed to squeeze quite a bit extra out of me!)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Their KS page looks incredibly refined and detail. After W2, they're experts.

Midou

Went with $35, love Planescape: Torment, but being unemployed means I can't throw $100 at another one after Dreamfall. :p

I am cool with it having a different writer and doing a fresh take on it, while just trying to keep the darker themes of it. Would be bad to try to make a sequel or something.

megalowho

Looks promising but don't think I can back this before seeing the fruits of the first project I've backed for InXile almost a year ago. Understand how development works and read their post on the matter, but with 6-8 game projects backed already on the site I find it a little distasteful to see companies return to that well before delivering on their initial project. Lot of faith involved on behalf of the backers at that point.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
i like the return of Publisher Kid lol

He did a great job in both announcement videos.

Looks promising but don't think I can back this before seeing the fruits of the first project I've backed for InXile almost a year ago. Understand how development works and read their post on the matter, but with 6-8 game projects backed already on the site I find it a little distasteful to see companies return to that well before delivering on their initial project. Lot of faith involved on behalf of the backers at that point.

Did you see the W2 gameplay video?

Corto

Haha I just paid 113$ for a video game.

I had the page opened and was prepared to click "go to amazon" button with that exact amount but backed away. The art is truly gorgeous and Colin said all the right things but I need to see a bit more to make that final jump. I'll claim a lower tier for now and wait.

Miletius

Gah, yesterday I declared immunity from physical goods but here I am, pledging $95. I just didn't want it to run out before I had a choice.

megalowho

Did you see the W2 gameplay video?
Yes but I don't get hyped up on that kind of stuff, either from big publishers or small indies. Once it's in my hands I can judge whether the game was a success or not.

Faith (and pledges) is what will get us games that could probably never be made otherwise.
There's nothing wrong with that mantra, I believe it to be true. In this case, I've given inXile a chunk of money and before I 'invest' in their company again I want to see a return on my initial investment. Maybe I won't like Wasteland 2, who knows.

Top Bottom