• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Corto

Guyz?! Guys! It's trending to almost 8 million dollars pledged! What will they do with all that money?

dailychart.png

mclem

$95 ODDITY COLLECTOR - TRUE BELIEVER - PHYSICAL GOODS.. bought.

edit:

i didnt see any difference between this and the $110 tier.. did i miss something?

TRUE BELIEVER tiers are earlybird ones, I think. Although it's slightly odd having an limited earlybird version of a limited general version.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if any stretch goals will get them to have Chris write a quest line or something. :p

$10 million stretch goal: Brian Fargo will do a burlesque dance at a private party for you and 50 of your friends (plus DRM-free digital copies of Torment for all of them!)

Wait I got that mixed up.

kswiston

Doubtful. Looks like Kickstarter fatigue has kicked in!!!! (lol)

Haha. The Kickstarter Fatigue thing was always ridiculous. Project Eternity made $4M less than 6 months ago. Dreamfall Chapters is well on its way to $1.5M.

Some people are going so far as to claim that gaming kickstarters are returning to their pre-Double Fine Adventures level. I suppose they have short memories, because prior to DFA, only one videogame campaign had ever broken $100k on Kickstarter.

mclem

Hmmm. Looking further, it *really* could do with a tier around the $150-$175 bracket. I'd struggle to justify $250, but I could concievably be coaxed up to there.

Midou

Pledged $20. Now to play more than an hour of the original...

I got stuck on starting the game a number of times, I found it a bit hard to get into it at the start, but after I pushed through the first couple of hours, I was addicted to it until the end.

Tarsul

although i never pledged more than minimum I had to go for the 95$ one. It's just TOO good.

The great thing about this kickstarter is that although planescape was a slow-burner or you could even say a financial failure, its successor is going to be the exact opposite :)

It's somehow great how Planescape found its fans over all these years and now they (we) are showing it the respect it has earned :)
(although i bought it at release at the time^^)

dmr87

From their Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update

To make everything as clear as we can regarding the Torment Kickstarter and what it means for Wasteland 2, I will attempt to answer some other questions you might have:

• We do want to be abundantly clear that no Wasteland money is to be spent developing Torment. No Torment money is being spent on Wasteland 2. That said, lots of tools, plug-ins and pipeline processes that have taken man months to create will be shared between the projects if we can keep team continuity.

• The pre-production of Torment is not going to hinder the development of Wasteland in any way. As explained above, they are different teams during the pre-production.

We hope this update helps to explain the logic of why we are launching this Kickstarter now. Based on our experience we know that now is the time to get Torment rolling. We also hope that we can count on your support for Torment, and if not your support, at least your understanding. This system has always served us well so we think it makes sense to try and re-create it with you.

If you want to read more, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/420739

$50 is enough for me this time. I did a hundo for Wasteland 2 but at that point it was all still pretty new and exciting. Good to see there are digital-only tiers, I've always thought the physical knickknacks that games give out to just be silly and worthless.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
F5 is the modern day "Updated my journal."

i hope Brian Fargo uses whatever infernal magicks he used during the Interplay days to secure really awesome voice actors. Interplay still is unmatched to this very day in that regard, imo.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I'm for the $95 tier. Between Shadowrun, Eternity, Wasteland 2, and now Torment the next few years are going to be great for fans of older CRPGs.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So am I the only one who feels like this game just can't live up to PS:T?

- Chris Avellone is not on the team (yet). They might have a stretch goal prepared for him to join though.

- Using unity engine, this to me is a big no no. PS:T is a classic thanks to the beautiful 2D backgrounds and characters. I feel with this 3D engine and the budget they have, the characters and maps simply won't have the necessary details to give the game its "soul".

- The writing will probably try to mimick PS:T too much to the point of being uninspired.

- PS:T required a large team of artists and programmers to work on it for two years. This game has a 14 month schedule with a much smaller team.

For all my bluster in the last thread, I'm still backing. High-concept narrative games are too lacking in modern development to not support.

lmpaler

So quick question, if I did say $50 now and then $100 before this ends, does it combine those to give me the "$150" tier or two separate tiers because of the transactions?

Terra_Ex

In for the lowest digital tier for the moment, might be tempted to move to physical depending on what gets shown.

Anyone know if the Numenera hardcover core book is going to be available in stores for those that didn't fund the earlier Kickstarter for that? Otherwise I may hop on the $250 tier to snag it.

DaBuddaDa

So quick question, if I did say $50 now and then $100 before this ends, does it combine those to give me the "$150" tier or two separate tiers because of the transactions?

It doesn't take the money out immediately, so there's no reason to make two pledges. Your bank account is charged right after the Kickstarter closes, or generally within 24 hours of it closing.

duckroll

You can manage and change your funding level anytime before the end of the campaign. You're not actually charged until it finishes.

Top Bottom