• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

wrowa

- Using unity engine, this to me is a big no no. PS:T is a classic thanks to the beautiful 2D backgrounds and characters. I feel with this 3D engine and the budget they have, the characters and maps simply won't have the necessary details to give the game its "soul".

You are aware that Project Eternity is also using Unity?

- Using unity engine, this to me is a big no no. PS:T is a classic thanks to the beautiful 2D backgrounds and characters. I feel with this 3D engine and the budget they have, the characters and maps simply won't have the necessary details to give the game its "soul".

Isn't Project Eternity using Unity as well? I guess they could do what they're doing there with the prerendered backgrounds or do more like Wasteland. I don't see Unity as an inherently negative thing.

Perkel

Banned
So am I the only one who feels like this game just can't live up to PS:T?

- Chris Avellone is not on the team (yet). They might have a stretch goal prepared for him to join though.

- The writing will probably try to mimick PS:T too much to the point of being uninspired.

- PS:T required a large team of artists and programmers to work on it for two years. This game has a 14 month schedule with a much smaller team.

1. They have cowritter of PST Avellone didn't write himself whole PST
2. They have onboard original creators of Planescape setting and now Numenera. Remember that PST factions language religions etc it was not Avellone work but original Planescape writters.
3. Yes Avellone as stretch goal is highly believable
4. Unity engine is as good as people using it. We saw already what it is capable of with Project Eternity places and this doesn't mean it will be 3D. We don't know if it will be full 3D or just like PE 2,5D
5. They clearly said they will fight with troopes even those in PST
6. They have large team of artists. They have on board original artists of Numenera PnP and their own tallents. Just look at the art. It is amazing art.
7. We don't know how kickstarter will end up. If they will get far more money they will probably delay game.

I'm totally in for $20; really just want the game; not going to put up the cash for physical goods, I've got no room to store stuff like that anymore. Either way, the concept art looks breath-taking; really really excited for this one.

Isn't Project Eternity using Unity as well? I guess they could do what they're doing there with the prerendered backgrounds or do more like Wasteland. I don't see Unity as an inherently negative thing.

This is what I think. I don't see why Unity can't do that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So am I the only one who feels like this game just can't live up to PS:T?

- Chris Avellone is not on the team (yet). They might have a stretch goal prepared for him to join though.

- The writing will probably try to mimick PS:T too much to the point of being uninspired.

- PS:T required a large team of artists and programmers to work on it for two years. This game has a 14 month schedule with a much smaller team.

Project eternity is using Unity yet has fantastic 2d backgrounds. The engine is largely irrelevant.

Lime

FUCK YEAH

Kickstarter is the shit. FTL, Chivalry, Shadowrun, Project Eternity, Dreamfall Chapters, Wasteland 2, Planetary Annihilation. And now a sequel to PS:T with gorgeous concept art.

Amazing time we live in.

Project eternity is using Unity yet has fantastic 2d backgrounds. The engine is largely irrelevant.

Unity's lighting needs work. I don't think it's irrelevant for the look of a game.

ezekial45

Banned
I wish we could play Wasteland first before having them put up another Kickstarter. it just seems like they're going for people's nostalgia.

I'd like to see if they can deliver on the first game first.

There's nothing wrong with that mantra, I believe it to be true. In this case, I've given inXile a chunk of money and before I 'invest' in their company again I want to see a return on my initial investment. Maybe I won't like Wasteland 2, who knows.
I can understand the mixed or negative feelings about having another KS project before WL2, but given the reality of how their key talent will likely not be able to rejoin the team for the next game project due to a lapse in employment thanks to waiting on WL2 to release and start bringing in revenue to fund another project, I'd rather go all-in to support them and keep the band together to do great things while they are able. Of course, it helps that I was intent on pledging for this as soon as it was rumored. In a small way, I hope that mine and all other KS contributions can help InXile become what Black Isle and Interplay were at their creative peak. It doesn't seem possible for the current standard business publisher/developer model to support the level of creative risk and audience focus that consumers deserve or want, so, ideally, InXile can eventually transition away from reliance upon KS while parlaying whatever financial success into a thriving existence as a more ambitious RPG developer, but I wouldn't hold it against them if they continued to go back to the well. They still have to deliver the goods or their future is very limited after all they've done to break with the status quo. With KS, at least, they have to keep earning their pledges.

Guyz?! Guys! It's trending to almost 8 million dollars pledged! What will they do with all that money?

dailychart.png

make an extra Shenmue 3.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

I was not aware that Unity can do 2D backgrounds. To paraphrase what I said in my original post, I hope they don't go the Wasteland2 way and make the backgrounds 3D. I feel like they can cram a lot more interesting details in a 2D background with a fixed camera.

mclem

4. Unity engine is as good as people using it. We saw already what it is capable of with Project Eternity places and this doesn't mean it will be 3D. We don't know if it will be full 3D or just like PE 2,5D

To be fair in this regard, I suspect it'll run on exactly the same core engine as Wasteland 2; much more economical to repurpose an existing engine to save on coding time and instead pour that money into some other aspect.

That said, that's absolutely not set in stone, just a thought about how smartly repurposing existing work could be beneficial to the project.

Durante

Now, let's have some "real talk" about Kickstarter "fatigue":
I believe that after an explosive start, the drop off for this will be more severe than any other significant project before it. Why? More people are now familiar with kickstarter, particularly fans of old-school CRPGs, and will thus be quicker to back (or decide not to back) a new project. It's the same thing that usually happens with game sequels: they sell faster at their launch, but the sales curve declines more quickly.

I don't. I'm just tired of the living dead, infected, zombi, etc, holocausts settings.
To be fair, they did chose that setting before the recent swell of popular games in it.

Perkel

Banned
To be fair in this regard, I suspect it'll run on exactly the same core engine as Wasteland 2; much more economical to repurpose an existing engine to save on coding time and instead pour that money into some other aspect.

I think that also but mind that post nuclear landscape can look good being simple.

Now try to imagine how much work would need something akin to this PST chamber in 3D:

catacombs007.gif

Interfectum

I believe that after an explosive start, the drop off for this will be more severe than any other significant project before it. Why? More people are now familiar with kickstarter, particularly fans of old-school CRPGs, and will thus be quicker to back (or decide not to back) a new project. It's the same thing that usually happens with game sequels: they sell faster at their launch, but the sales curve declines more quickly.

I think a lot of it will depend on how they can hype up their stretch goals and keep the game blogs talking about it.

RMI

Banned
$95 collector's tier is drying up. backed at that level. for now, I might kick it down to just $20 before the end of this thing depending on how my finances for the month turn out.

duckroll

Yeah I did think about this too. I think that as much as this is an original game, it's also the "sequel" Kickstarter to Wasteland 2. As such, it's pretty likely likely that it could be much more front loaded. I think what will be most interesting to watch will be the bump at the end of the campaign.

Perkel

Banned

To be fair, they did chose that setting before the recent swell of popular games in it.

Durante, you need first proof then state it. Just a month or two ago Star Citizent broke all records and now stand at 8 mln 300 k $. That is almost 10 mln.

It is growing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hope they can pull off a game worthy of the name! Just having a comparable cast of characters seems like a challenge in itself.

People always forget about Dead State in these lists. Poor Mitsoda :(

It definitely has potential to be amazing, really looking forward to it. I'll enjoy it more if it's got lots of tough choices and pretty a high difficulty. The stretch goals at the end all sounded great, glad most (or was it all) made it in.

Perkel

Banned
Unless I'm wrong, that chamber (and all the PST backgrounds) was actually modeled in 3D and then painted over, just like the BG series.

YES. But prerendering offline and rendering realtime is much different proccess. Also both BG and PST had handpainted elements. You can handpaint on offline renders making them more rich.

PE already is doing it.

Durante

Durante, you need first proof then state it. Just a month or two ago Star Citizent broke all records and now stand at 8 mln 300 k $. That is almost 10 mln.

It is growing.
I'm not making a statement about the overall health of crowdfunding.

I'm making a prediction about the trajectory of the "backing curve" over the funding period, particularly that it will be more front-loaded. We'll be able to check that soon.

Perkel

Banned
They are both very different projects.

Point was kickstarter "fatigue". There is no such thing as of now. We are yet to see interesting project that failed because people didn't have money.

Right now kickstarters fail because their projects are just not good and they can't convince people.

Miletius

Looks like the $95 early backers collector's edition is down to about 100, so if you are interested might want to get on it. You can potentially snipe one up later but there's no guarantee of that.

Perkel

Banned
I'm not making a statement about the overall health of crowdfunding.

I'm making a prediction about the trajectory of the "backing curve" over the funding period, particularly that it will be more front-loaded. We'll be able to check that soon.

As of now it is breaking all kickstarter records. In Less than 2 hours they are about to break 400k.

Double Fine kickstarter first milion was just above 24 hours.

EDIT:

Lol they did already 400k$ in 2 hours.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
lol, $400k.

In for $20. Let's see how high this one goes.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
As of now it is breaking all kickstarter records. In Less than 2 hours they are about to break 400k.

Already broke $400k.

Edit: Missed your edit. Perkel, you might want to edit the OP to include their reasons for having this Kickstarter up before Wasteland 2 is out. Otherwise I have a feeling it is going to pop up every single page (probably still will anyway).

Durante

Double Fine kickstarter first milion was just above 24 hours.
Well yeah, that fits with my prediction. If the crowdfunding space is as healthy as or more healthy than it was previously (or even if it is slightly less healthy) then I'd expect a more frontloaded project to break all records at its start.

Now, let's have some "real talk" about Kickstarter "fatigue"

general thoughts:

ive backed 20 projects in Kickstarter, 2 of those were unsuccessful. I have received 0 completed products from the remaining 18. i will re-evaluate my backings when i get actual results. Whether they be amazing games/movies very mediocre broken promises or all cancelled and my money gone.

but the 15$ barrier of entry is quite insignificant so im just following these "investments" with intrigue :D

Durante

Oh wow, I think the $95 tier might sell out in a day.
Let me revise that earlier statement: it will sell out in less than half a day.

general thoughts:

ive backed 20 projects in Kickstarter, 2 of those were unsuccessful. I have received 0 completed products from the remaining 18. i will re-evaluate my backings when i get actual results. Whether they be amazing games/movies very mediocre broken promises or all cancelled and my money gone.

but the 15$ barrier of entry is quite insignificant so im just following these "investments" with intrigue :D
You're clearly doing it wrong, out of the 15 projects I backed I already received 3 :p

Top Bottom