• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

chifanpoe

Backed at the $45 for the dual game package. Looking forward to both games as well as the new Shadowrun game. Good times for top down RPG goodness!

Depending on how the first week of April goes I might up this to the $80. Hoping it hits $3.5M

Zeliard

Pat Rothfuss held a chat session on the topic of video game storytelling with Colin McComb, Jerry Holkins, & Veronica Belmont:

http://youtu.be/1PtFlcZome4

Haven't listened to it yet but I imagine it would give you a decent idea of how Rothfuss would approach it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Oh no...I don't like Rothfuss as a writer at all, judging by his current series. He has tendencies toward Mary Sue characters, bloated storytelling, bad dialogue, poorly-resolved plotlines, lots of cliche...and that's just for his novels. Is he at all suited towards video game writing?

Joe Abercrombie or China Mieville would have been much better choices, assuming they were interested. They're brilliant fantasy writers and avid gamers.

Edit: That said, he does write magic systems very well. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Purkake4

Banned
Can't say I'm very happy about Rothfuss based on his work. Also just adding more and more writers may be getting to the point where too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the broth. How can you keep a distinct style and vision intact with an increasing amount of big name writers who would obviously want to add a little of their own flavor to the game?

Zeliard

Can't say I'm very happy about Rothfuss based on his work. Also just adding more and more writers may be getting to the point where too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the broth. How can you keep a distinct style and vision intact with an increasing amount of big name writers who would obviously want to add a little of their own flavor to the game?

You need a very effective project director to keep everyone in line and maintain a singular voice.

Seems Rothfuss' input will be relatively limited. He wrote this on his blog:

Rothfuss said:
“How much writing are we talking about here?” I ask.

“Maybe 10,000 words,” Colin says. “More if you like. Less if you need it to be less.”

“Could I maybe help with some of the character arcs too?” I ask. “I’m pretty good with character. You could use me as a sounding board if nothing else, and ignore me if you think I’m being an idiot.”

“Um…. let me think,” Colin says sarcastically. I can hear the smile in his voice. “A chance to chat with you about stories and character development. I think the answer to that is…. yes. “

Remains to be seen how it works out.

But man, China Mieville. I posted in the Project Eternity thread how I'd want nothing more than to see off-kilter Mieville-inspired work in one of these Kickstarter RPGs, since they have so much freedom to go all out. Mieville being involved in a new Torment would have been absolutely heaven-sent. The guy is even a D&D geek.

I experienced Torment and Perdido Street Station at around the same time, and they made a huge impression on me when I was younger, being largely the reason along with Lovecraft that I love bizarre fantasy.

Mieville will make a game one of these days, goddammit.

Purkake4

Banned
Hmh, I'd just prefer they kept to the kind of stretch goals on the idea forum, instead of turning it into a weird anthology.

This kind of stuff sounds like it would make an amazing set of DLC. But yeah, I guess we'll see.

Durante

I just spent almost an hour reading the update, and the associated blog posts and videos. I think the kickstarter already has more content than some AAA games :p

Joe Abercrombie or China Mieville would have been much better choices, assuming they were interested. They're brilliant fantasy writers and avid gamers.
I'd kill up my pledge for Abercrombie involvement. I'm of two minds about Mieville -- when he's good he is fantastic, but I find myself feeling like he drags on too much from time to time. And this is coming from someone who devoured Erikson. Who by the way should also write for a game.

Edit: That said, he does write magic systems very well. I'll try to keep an open mind.
I haven't read anything by Rothfuss. The kickstarter update almost made me order his first book, but the reaction here is giving me second thoughts.

Anyway, about magic systems, I'm not a huge fan of Brian Sanderson's work overall (though I usually enjoy reading it), but he managed to introduce several novel and interesting magic systems so far. I'd like to see at least one of them in a game at some point.

Also just adding more and more writers may be getting to the point where too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the broth. How can you keep a distinct style and vision intact with an increasing amount of big name writers who would obviously want to add a little of their own flavor to the game?
This was also one of my thoughts. It could turn into the best thing ever made by mankind, but it could also end up as a disconnected mess. I like to believe in the former.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oh no...I don't like Rothfuss as a writer at all, judging by his current series. He has tendencies toward Mary Sue characters, bloated storytelling, bad dialogue, poorly-resolved plotlines, lots of cliche...and that's just for his novels. Is he at all suited towards video game writing?

Is China Mieville a gamer? I thought he hated games.

Zeliard

I haven't read anything by Rothfuss. The kickstarter update almost made me order his first book, but the reaction here is giving me second thoughts.

I'd check it out to give you an idea of what his style is like. Rothfuss is (literally) unapologetic about his use of Mary Sue characters - his protagonist infamously epitomizing the trope - but you may find something to like in it. The main character often seems to present the biggest obstacle those who dislike the series have to enjoying it.

It does have a pretty great sympathetic magic system.

I'll give Rothfuss the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Torment. It's unsure just what his role will be in the writing process, and along with working in a new medium and collaborating with a number of other writers, there's no telling what to expect.

Is China Mieville a gamer? I thought he hated games.

He's more a tabletop RPG gamer, or was, but he's played and respects vidja games as well. He's particularly shown interest in writing for them.

FACE

Banned
I just spent almost an hour reading the update, and the associated blog posts and videos. I think the kickstarter already has more content than some AAA games :p

I'd kill up my pledge for Abercrombie involvement. I'm of two minds about Mieville -- when he's good he is fantastic, but I find myself feeling like he drags on too much from time to time. And this is coming from someone who devoured Erikson. Who by the way should also write for a game.

Suggest a Joe Abercrombie stretch goal on that user voice thingy.

Zeliard

WHY THE FUCK NOBODY HAS CONTACTED HIM YET THEN?????

He had this to say in a Kotaku interview last year:

Miéville: Certainly I think there's potential for video games.

I've got certain ideas specifically for video games. And I've talked to people about them. I've tentatively pursued it. I am much more interested in trying to create something from scratch that is designed to be that kind of environment than in taking one of my books and adapting it. Because no matter how good a job you do, you're always going to be disappointing someone. Anytime you translates anything from one language to another something is lost no matter how beautiful the translation is.

So I'm fascinated in pursuing video games. And I do plan to keep an eye on what's going on, and what's being published, and what's getting good reviews, and all that kind of thing. But I'd much rather write something from scratch than try and adapt.

Kotaku: Who did you talk to if you don't mind me asking?

Miéville: I won't say specifically simply because it's all kind of speculative stuff. People have asked about video game stuff and I have certain ideas. I have the folders on my hard drive. I talk to people about them sometimes much as I did for comics until Dial H came up. Maybe one of these days we'll make it work. Because I think my video game ideas are completely awesome. But I acknowledge that I'm not unbiased on the question.

The man's killing me.

FACE

Banned
I have no idea who China Mieville and Joe Abercrombie are and the only thing I know about Rothfuss is that he has a beard.

Jenga

Banned

I tried to read a Wise man's fear. Wasn't bad at all, but imagine The Witcher if the author spent more time fluffing Geralt up all the time. (or just re-read yang's post on him, though I was bit kinder on him)

JDSN

Banned

3.5mil strech goal - Nicomo cosca as a companion.

Zeliard

I have no idea who China Mieville and Joe Abercrombie are and the only thing I know about Rothfuss is that he has a beard.

You've got some reading to do :p

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Joe Abercrombie - The Blade Itself

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

All three are part of a series, though in Perdido's case the three books that form the series (Bas-Lag) are basically standalone and can be read in whatever order. Some find The Scar easier to get into as their introduction to Mieville.

FACE

Banned

All three are part of a series, though in Perdido's case the three books that form the series (Bas-Lag) are basically standalone and can be read in whatever order. Some find The Scar easier to get into as their introduction to Mieville.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to read at least one of those books. Never been a big fan of fiction(in general) for whatever reason.

Torraz

Thanks for the recommendations. I've read #2 and #3 already.

Based upon that I'm not sure if I'd want that Rothfuss stretch goal.

Violet_0

Banned
only heard good things about Perdido Street Station, afaik it's considered one of the best fantasy/sci-fi novels in recent memory.

despite the ama and new update the kickstarter still isn't really going forward, they really need to come up with a mega-stretch goal go rekindle the hype. I'm expecting them to announce a 2D stretch goal soon, if they were serious about it

Azih

Yeah I soured on the Name of the Wind pretty fast.

Main character now feels like a meandering Mary Sue (Penny arcade had a great sendup of how Kvothe gets to fuck everything in sight). The series is too long and so what were endearing quirks in the character are now just annoying and tedious (we get it. Kvothe hates poetry. God).

Plus he makes the same mistakes over and over and over. Once is fine, twice is pushing it, third time you want to strangle Kvothe for being an absolute dumbass.

Torraz

Yeah I soured on the Name of the Wind pretty fast.

Main character now feels like a meandering Mary Sue (Penny arcade had a great sendup of how Kvothe gets to fuck everything in sight). The series is too long and so what were endearing quirks in the character are now just annoying and tedious (we get it. Kvothe hates poetry. God).

Plus he makes the same mistakes over and over and over. Once is fine, twice is pushing it, third time you want to strangle Kvothe for being an absolute dumbass.

The first book was great, I thought. The second one was decent, at first. After I finished reading it and thought about it, it was almost like the illusion shattered and I was left pretty dissatisfied.

Miletius

Thanks for the recommendations. I've read #2 and #3 already.

Based upon that I'm not sure if I'd want that Rothfuss stretch goal.

Ah yes. I was wondering where I heard the name before and now I remember. I'm not super excited about Rothfuss but I'm not supposed to be super excited about every update. FWIW I read the series over vacation and promptly dropped them in the donation bin at the airport.

Labadal

I'm also beginning to question the amount of writers they are signing up for this project. I don't mind to see lots of talented people joning. I just hope the writing is coherent enough and they can get a unified vision of it all. After they announced Ziets and Mitsoda as stretch goals, I thought that was it for more writers.

I will also have to "lol" at their continued use of using numbers for more gameplay. 225% more gameplay! Really? That is starting to sound very silly. The wasteland 2 Kickstarter almost seems to have been handled better.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm also beginning to question the amount of writers they are signing up for this project. I don't mind to see lots of talented people joning. I just hope the writing is coherent enough and they can get a unified vision of it all. After they announced Ziets and Mitsoda as stretch goals, I thought that was it for more writers.

I will also have to "lol" at their continued use of using numbers for more gameplay. 225% more gameplay! Really? That is starting to sound very silly. The wasteland 2 Kickstarter almost seems to have been handled better.

I don't think they meant that serious. It's obvious just meant as a joke. ;)

grumble

Durante

It seems like the update was pretty effective, pledges are already at 46k for today, that's better than any other day over the past week.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It seems like the update was pretty effective, pledges are already at 46k for today, that's better than any other day over the past week.

Some good tidbits in there, plus that 3rd fathom was totally unexpected looking and sweet, and new stretch goals are nice.

Arulan

I've read both The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear and consider them to be excellent books. My excitement levels for this game were already very high, I can't even...

JDSN

Banned
I wonder if TOO many writers hurt the game in the end. Another one really seems redundant.

Yeah, like I said at the begining of the KS, its seems they are trying to write a playable book and a bunch of novellas I wont read rather than a game, get some people with actual technical and creative talent that can help you achieve your vision properly, its a perfect oportunity to fix the worst part of Planescape which was the gameplay.

Okay, that was a really meaty update.

Third Fathom

Love the look of this, and can't wait to see a 4th one (we're currently just another 2k backers away from that).

Brian Mitsoda

Great stuff!

New rewards

Damn, now I might try to grab the $50 tier for the comic book.
On the otherhand, revealing too much background info might ruin interactions with the character in the game.

2.85 million Stretch Goal

Sounds alright.

3 million stretch goal

Same old stuff then, it looks like we'll for sure reach it (just 1 million 75k away)

3.1 million stretch goal

Nothing to complain about this.

3.25 million stretch goal - Pat Rothfuss

Sigh...
At least he'll hopefully have a minor influence of the main character.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
only heard good things about Perdido Street Station, afaik it's considered one of the best fantasy/sci-fi novels in recent memory.

Yeah I still don't get this, the book has some bizarre pacing problems and is often too jargon-ey for my tastes. Enjoyable yes, but classic fantasy it is not. The dude has imagination, but imagination only makes up for so many problems in execution. I seem to be in the minority on that though

So yeah, I'm fine they didn't get China. And I'd be fine with Rothefuss

lsslave

Jew Gamer
If at 3 Mil. Avellone isn't a stretch goal... like jesus announcing him will bring more money in by the truck full damnit!

~Kinggi~

Banned
If at 3 Mil. Avellone isn't a stretch goal... like jesus announcing him will bring more money in by the truck full damnit!

They could easily announce him but it would be somewhat dishonest since he is busy as heck and wouldnt contribute as much time.

Top Bottom