• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Somnia

I've pledged $125, I missed Eternity and Star Citizen kickstarters and still regret it. At least I'll have old school PC Box's from DF Adventure, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Torment.

szaromir

Banned
I've pledged $125, I missed Eternity and Star Citizen kickstarters and still regret it. At least I'll have old school PC Box's from DF Adventure, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Torment.
Why? You can still buy those games in future, the devs will certainly survive without those $50 or however much you would have pledged. Anyway, I have much more fun pledging to and following smaller projects, those in the $50k-$200k range.

Darryl

Banned
I can see how the two different timelines that the story follows could do really interesting things with the Mare Sueness of one of the timelines, but it still remains true that Kvothe passed from being interesting to me to being annoying about halfway through the second book and I just don't have the patience for something like that like I did when I was struggling through the dull middle Wheel of Time Books.

I really felt the same way until I finished the second book. I didn't even like the first book at all. Something just clicked and I gained a new found appreciation of the series, lol.

At this point I am all for an inXile/Obsidian merger. Two solid teams that can work on two independent yet competitive projects simultaneously while sharing creative talents.

volturnus

Banned
Fooking hell, this is it.

At this point I am all for an inXile/Obsidian merger. Two solid teams that can work on two independent yet competitive projects simultaneously while sharing creative talents.
I'm not sure it would work. There are great people on both sides, but some of them have a big ego as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Good job, InXile. Whether directly or indirectly, it feels like the important elements of the feedback in this thread are being noted.

Every RPG Kickstarter can make use of an Avellone Bump, probably none more than the sequel to Torment. Even if it's just token representation like designing one of the party members and consulting on the story, both parties know it would be more than worthwhile to make that happen.

Nice to see them address the "too many writers" concerns and hint at forthcoming information on the graphics as well. Thumbs up.

Think we work better as separately but in good relations. The scope if inXile and Obsidian is pretty different, too.

Good job, InXile. Whether directly or indirectly, it feels like the important elements of the feedback in this thread are being noted.

That's coz I'm here!

Haha, nah, in all seriousness, I saw this question come up in a bunch of places, from our Kickstarter comments to different forums including here, and talking it over with Kevin and Adam we decided it was an important and legit enough concern to warrant addressing, yeah.

Think we work better as separately but in good relations. The scope if inXile and Obsidian is pretty different, too.

It was more of a joke post than anything else :p

That being said, I wish this type of i guess you can call it third party outsourcing occured more often in big budget titles to be honest. Instead you typically get companies that are in it for the pay check and have little to no interest in the actually material.

It was obvious from the beginning they would play the Avellone card at some point (and no, it's not hindsight, it was obvious).

It's kind of funny how many people claim this is the case, when on day one of this Kickstarter we at inXile were almost completely sure this wasn't going to happen, and it only got finalized that it actually could happen a few days ago.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Brother None, I've just read that Obsidian's programmer found a way to do dynamic shadows in 2D environments of PE. So the question is - do inXile's and Obsidian's programming team collaborate and to what extent?

injurai

Banned
Brother None, I've just read that Obsidian's programmer found a way to do dynamic shadows in 2D environments of PE. So the question is - do inXile's and Obsidian's programming team collaborate and to what extent?

holy fuck! The power of crowd funded R&D!!!

Suairyu

Banned
holy fuck! The power of crowd funded R&D!!!
Dynamic shadows in pre-rendered environments isn't new.

Alone in the Dark on the Dreamcast made great use of them. You overlay a simple (but invisible) 3D model over the 2D image and use that to calculate the shadows.

Zukuu

Banned
Awesome update indeed!

2D background and turn based combat and we're set for probably the best game ever made.
I have no worries about the story and characters at this point.

InXile and OE better stay separated... twice the amount of games this way!

Corto

This last update doomed me. I succumbed to the Avellone hype as one 110$ slot opened and I jumped on it immediately. hehe

edit: I'm a bit worried of all this writing talent going into one game. I hope McComb is able to keep all this content consistent and meaningful in the end.

Zeliard

2D backgrounds are really the only thing left, as far as I'm concerned.

There's also a stretch goal on the user forums to have the scope of the voice acting mimic PS:T's, like party banter being voiced. That'd be nice to see as well.

subversus

Dynamic shadows in pre-rendered environments isn't new.

Alone in the Dark on the Dreamcast made great use of them. You overlay a simple (but invisible) 3D model over the 2D image and use that to calculate the shadows.

yeah, I knew about this but may be there is some other way... I think it's too trivial for Brennecke to mention in his Digipen interview because duh, of course you can put mesh in there and light the scene. May be there is some hybrid approach but what "hybrid" can be about this? You either put mesh there or you don't.

Anyway can't wait for Rezzed.

There's also a stretch goal on the user forums to have the scope of the voice acting mimic PS:T's, like party banter being voiced. That'd be nice to see as well.

I think they are at a minimum going for the amount of voice acting that was found in PS:T - which wasn't that much to begin with (compared to modern RPGs).

lsslave

Jew Gamer
About fucking time! 3.5 million everyone hello please can we make it!

This last update doomed me. I succumbed to the Avellone hype as one 110$ slot opened and I jumped on it immediately. hehe

edit: I'm a bit worried of all this writing talent going into one game. I hope McComb is able to keep all this content consistent and meaningful in the end.

I imagine it will work a lot like TV would work, where the showrunner (lead designer) discusses the plot with all of the writers and everyone creates their little piece of it. If anything it should create an even more varied game instead of one writer tackling the entire thing on their own, especially in a game like Torment where the writing is key.

subversus

I turned off voice acting in PS:T. That's how it's important to me. Listening to DONE every time I click gets on my nerves.

Zeliard

I think they are at a minimum going for the amount of voice acting that was found in PS:T - which wasn't that much to begin with (compared to modern RPGs).

I assumed that would be the case but there's still a pending stretch goal for it so I dunno if that means it isn't a sure thing yet.

I turned off voice acting in PS:T. That's how it's important to me. Listening to DONE every time I click gets on my nerves.

The voice acting was excellent, though (outside of comical TNO repetition - updated my journal).

injurai

Banned

Yeah 2D is the important one.

Perhaps getting an airship or whatever was thunk up too.

Taruranto

ZILF2Np.jpg

Top Bottom