• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Violet_0

Banned
Remember when people used to gather around a table to participate in an activity called "role-playing"? Me neither! I do want a pretty tome to look at and cuddle though.

Naito

I am strongly considering the 75 dollar tier once again, just so I can get my hands on the Numenara corebook (pre-ordering it is at 60 dollar alone).

As Llyranor already pointed out, the 75$ tier gives you the Digital Numenera Player's Guide, not the Corebook.

From the design diaries of Numenera's website
The Numenera Player's Guide
Just like it sounds, this is a guidebook aimed at players. It’s short–only 64 pages–and includes only material for the corebook.
In other words, there’s nothing in the Player’s Guide that isn’t in the corebook.

However, it’s very useful, because there’s no need to hand a new player a 416 page rulebook to get them started.
It has only the material that a player needs to get a feel for the game and the setting, and to create a character.
More or less, it’s a distilled version of the first three sections of the corebook that I listed above.

Zukuu

Banned
They should consider to create an "Core Book"-Addon for the physical tier, if that is possible.

Myself, I'm pretty happy with the 45$ tier. Fits exactly my demands.

inm8num2

Dumb question, but will the eventual Numenera forum be a completely separate entity from the Wasteland 2 forums?

The W2 forum is at wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com, and obviously Torment's site is set up at torment.inxile-entertainment.com.

So, I guess I know the answer, but I think it might be cool to have one primary forum for inXile, then have separate sub-sections for all the different W2 or Torment forums. But I understand why they are set up completely separate from one another.

I'm just lazy. ;)

mclem

A thought about the Player's Guide: I'm curious how the content for that will differ from the instruction manual, which is still going to have to offer enough explanation for the game mechanics for the player to have an understanding of what the options on offer actually mean in real terms.

Thinking back to Baldur's Gate, I recall half the (hefty!) manual there was taken up with a basic explanation of D&D mechanics; I assume that's the sort of content that'd be found in the Player's Guide. I'm trying to imagine, though, how BG would have felt if I *didn't* have as detailed a reference guide to hand.

dude

dude
A thought about the Player's Guide: I'm curious how the content for that will differ from the instruction manual, which is still going to have to offer enough explanation for the game mechanics for the player to have an understanding of what the options on offer actually mean in real terms.

Thinking back to Baldur's Gate, I recall half the (hefty!) manual there was taken up with a basic explanation of D&D mechanics; I assume that's the sort of content that'd be found in the Player's Guide. I'm trying to imagine, though, how BG would have felt if I *didn't* have as detailed a reference guide to hand.

I thought the Player's Guide was a Numenera campaign guide, rather than a ToN campaign guide?

mclem

I thought the Player's Guide was a Numenera campaign guide, rather than a ToN campaign guide?

I'm taking it as an explanation of the game mechanics, which in the tabletop version you'd give to the players so they can understand what they need to know without getting bogged down in GM-specific detail. As I suggested, there's something very similar in the manual for Baldur's Gate, which is the parallel I'm working with, but I'm curious what guidance people who don't get the PG will have. You've still gotta tell 'em something!

It might be that all players will get the BG manual level of mechanics detail, and the Player's Guide goes a bit beyond that but still shies away from anything that only the GM would need to be aware of.

inm8num2

Funding has trickled down to under 10k/day the past two days. They need to give this campaign a jolt somehow!

Yea I'm surprised how much it's slowed down, even considering the initial rush was so huge.

Not sure what the reasons are. Kickstarter fatigue? Updates? Something else?

Durante

Yea I'm surprised how much it's slowed down, even considering the initial rush was so huge.

Let me quote myself from the first hour of the kickstarter:
Now, let's have some "real talk" about Kickstarter "fatigue":
I believe that after an explosive start, the drop off for this will be more severe than any other significant project before it. Why? More people are now familiar with kickstarter, particularly fans of old-school CRPGs, and will thus be quicker to back (or decide not to back) a new project. It's the same thing that usually happens with game sequels: they sell faster at their launch, but the sales curve declines more quickly.
Maybe I should work in finance or something.

DaBuddaDa

I think their core audience for this game has been thoroughly Kickstarter trained, so when the funding launched everyone rushed in early.

Edit: Durante wins.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's comfortably funded and there are no exciting stretch goals. Put up an Avellone stretch goal or a prerendered 2d stretch goal or something equally emotionally charged and people will viral it to try to make it happen.

inm8num2

Let me quote myself from the first hour of the kickstarter:

Maybe I should work in finance or something.

Well done!

Yea, I don't think it's any reason to panic or anything. But the updates don't seem to be as frequent as on comparable projects, especially P:E.

I was dubious about P:E at first due to the lack of concrete information, but as they continued to talk about their ideas for the game during the campaign my enthusiasm increased.

Perhaps something major will be unveiled soon.

Zeliard

It's comfortably funded and there are no exciting stretch goals. Put up an Avellone stretch goal or a prerendered 2d stretch goal or something equally emotionally charged and people will viral it to try to make it happen.

Yep. Give people a reason to keep the excitement going and they will.

Exclusive: Finding Solace in 'Torment'

Whether by circumstance or grand design, the way Torment: Tides of Numenera has come together already has a legend about it. The truth might be that a sequel under Fargo and inXile’s stewardship was inevitable. In fact, Fargo makes you think they pitched it to publishers in the past based on a humorous skit in their Kickstarter video. He also hints that his days of pitching publishers might be over.

4 million stretch goal - 2D pre-rendered art more detailed than PS:T.

I think 4 million is what they'll reasonably get, if they can push out some interesting updates and intermediate stretchgoals.

injurai

Banned

The momentum has naturally cooled off. As of this writing the ticker is at about $2.7 million, but that’s with 17 days to go, and Kickstarters usually see a surge in their final stretch. When it’s over, inXile will have enough dough in the can to significantly up the scope of what they pitched. There is a chart on their Kickstarter page tracking just how much game play they intend to add with each stretch goal reached. Somewhere out there, their backers must be getting the coffee shakes just thinking about it.

seems about right

Zukuu

Banned
Even if it would not meet another stretch goal, as long as it's initially funded, I have no worries. It has already trice the initial amount asked for and I bet even with 900k the game would be very good already, everything on top is just a bonus. That said, it'll meet 3.5 million for sure. 4 million? Could be tough, but doable. Hope 3.5 Mill has 2D backgrounds.

Violet_0

Banned
they'll easily reach 3.5mil without a 2D tier. Best save it for the 4mil mark to really get people hyped up again. They need a goal to work towards to. I call it the "can we make it?!" effect

they'll easily reach 3.5mil without a 2D tier. Best save it for the 4mil mark to really get people hyped up again. They need a goal to work towards to

Yeah, I think it'll barely hit 4 million (with the paypal donation) much like Project Eternity, but only if they have a super-super juicy stretch goal.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, I think it'll barely hit 4 million (with the paypal donation) much like Project Eternity, but only if they have a super-super juicy stretch goal.

which got 4.5

from what I've seen T:TON has be doing better than PE, but maybe it just got better early exposure and it will have a weaker final push.

In someways I wonder if 2D would happen at all solely based on the fact that the team has become comfortable and efficient working on Wasteland 2. Of course they always have Obsidian to look to if they need help getting their feet in the door. I find 2D to be the primary thing I want to talk about just because I put so much weight on it's importance. Hopefully they are getting a good feel for how the community feels about this particular design choice.

Zukuu

Banned
they'll easily reach 3.5mil without a 2D tier. Best save it for the 4mil mark to really get people hyped up again. They need a goal to work towards to. I call it the "can we make it?!" effect

And if we miss the goal we have no 2D backgrounds. I'd rather not risking it. Make something else good, but optional the 4mil goal.

A 3D engine wouldn't be the end of the world, but I feel it would do the "Torment" type of game some disservice.
Wasteland 2 looks great for what it is, but it ain't no Torment.

Somehow I missed this until now. Pledged $45 to pick up Wasteland 2 as well. Still feels like gambling on games, but hey, I support the ideas. Between these two and Project Eternity, something's gotta be good, right?!

Somehow I missed this until now. Pledged $45 to pick up Wasteland 2 as well. Still feels like gambling on games, but hey, I support the ideas. Between these two and Project Eternity, something's gotta be good, right?!

Right!

At this point, I too just want 2D for the engine in terms of further stretch goals. The amount of in-game content they already have sounds great, though one or two more layers to the labyrinth will do nicely.

Yep, I'm happy to pay the equivalent of a full-price game, for a couple of KS projects that might produce an amazing RPG.

Aye. Internally we kind of predicted the same, at least it was my prediction this would be how it curves, so it's not exactly a problem.

Also, Last Castoff Statuette
tumblr_mjxd9tTRYP1s762nho1_1280.jpg

I love it!
I envy those who got that tier.

Oh shit, they got Mark Morgan. I should probably read the Kickstarter before deciding to fund it in future. But this is the 'sequel' to my favourite videogame, so.

Labadal

I wouldn't be surprised if they put up new stretch goals in the next update. The $2.75 million goal has been reached, so we should get something new.

arkon

Oh shit, they got Mark Morgan. I should probably read the Kickstarter before deciding to fund it in future. But this is the 'sequel' to my favourite videogame, so.

We don't need a sensible approach here. Throw your money down first. Feel the guilt later. Always the best way.

JDSN

Banned

657% more Reactivity. 360% more gameplay.

Exactly.

Also, is the Numenara main site down for anyone else?

Also, is the Numenara main site down for anyone else?

Their host suffered a power outage. It'll be back soon, hopefully.

Cool. Didn't mean to be rude, just saw it on the Torment tumblr and figured you might want to swap it before people start getting confused!

Not rude at all, it was an oversight of mine.

Do you know if we're getting an update today?

Doesn't look like it, no, but we'll kick off a denser update schedule after, we have some exciting things to announce. More than niggles about how often you update or what you talk about exactly, it tends to be big announcements that can help bring some life into a Kickstarter at this point.

Top Bottom