• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Jesus christ I really *really* hate the Crisis system.

What an absolute utter crock of shit.

Sinatar

Why? Care to explain?

Meanwhile the game is an unplayable stutterfest on my laptop. The PoE engine... sigh.

It's just pure annoyance.

Without spoiling, I just did a crisis that had, I'd say 30+ characters involved in an area covered in damaging environmental areas. Since it's turn based there was of course all the waiting for 30+ characters to do whatever shit they were doing, and then the fact that you can't set waypoints means you spend entire turns trying to circumnavigate the damaging areas, leading to wasted turns, leading to waiting for 30+ characters to do their shit.

It was fucking *infuriating*, then it crashed 3/4 of the way through (and you can't save in Crisis's) so I had to do it again. Just. Fuck.

tt11457192fltt.gif

I've found the few Crisis encounters I've been in to be interesting and different from the norm in terms of having to escape or being able to talk to people but they seem to have huge enemy counts that take forever to finish their turns which makes battles drag. And yeah, the lack of waypoints means any map that involves environmental damage is unavoidable unless you want to lose your action by using two moves to avoid the fire/poison/whatever

Without spoiling, I just did a crisis that had, I'd say 30+ characters involved in an area covered in damaging environmental areas. Since it's turn based there was of course all the waiting for 30+ characters to do whatever shit they were doing, and then the fact that you can't set waypoints means you spend entire turns trying to circumnavigate the damaging areas, leading to wasted turns, leading to waiting for 30+ characters to do their shit.

It was fucking *infuriating*, then it crashed 3/4 of the way through (and you can't save in Crisis's) so I had to do it again. Just. Fuck.

Yep.

MartyStu

I think the game has something truly special underneath some of the mess. So much so that I think I will just stop playing now and hope the devs get their shit sorted out.

Hey guys, never played Planescape but I love Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 2, Wasteland 2, Underrail, and Tyranny. Are the odds decent I will like this? I realize it's not the same as those at all but it seems like I would enjoy it. I really do not like making assumptions though.

jtb

Banned
Hey guys, never played Planescape but I love Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 2, Wasteland 2, Underrail, and Tyranny. Are the odds decent I will like this? I realize it's not the same as those at all but it seems like I would enjoy it. I really do not like making assumptions though.

Why don't you play Planescape: Torment first?

Yes.

Outside of the enemy turn length and and pathfinding around danger issues I don't really know how to judge the combat given it's so infrequent that I got almost 20 hours in before fighting for the first time outside of the tutorial and had no idea how any of the combat abilities or classes work, especially given all characters are tier 4

Crispy

Meanwhile the game is an unplayable stutterfest on my laptop. The PoE engine... sigh.

What are your specs?

Runs pretty well on my i7 laptop with a humble Intel HD520 graphics card, only slight framedrops in some of the larger area's.

Eusis

Definitely think adding saves to crisises is essential (it's a turn based game, most modern TRPGs let you do this) and put in an option to fast forward through animations or even just not play them.

Really, look at things like Tactics Ogre PSP or Fire Emblem Awakening, they have options and features that are a great idea to have in these kinds of combat systems.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I'm at the point where I feel like I have to choose my companions for the rest of the game. And since I usually pick companions that seem more interesting rather than useful, I'm probably going with
Rhin, Erretis and Matkina.
Also, possibly the most annoying thing so far is
Rhin, simply because of how nobody seems to believe her. "Oh pfff, yeah of course you have a god in this stone little child. Hahaha. What are you saying Lady who regularly talks to herself in other realities or you glowing weird guy who has two strange voices inside of him, I know right? Kids today hahaha. Anyway, back to discovering how the former body of a million year old guy gained consciousness and turned into me."

Also a question, if you don't have the "reading mind" perk,
is there any indication about what's wrong with Erretis? Or does he just seem like a slightly odd guy.

WormwoodStudios

Neo Member
Thanks for the nice shout out about my involvement!

I actually wrote a bit more than that -- the Gold (sick rich PC), Blue (mindworm-addicted PC), and Indigo (whale-killer) Tidal Meres, the Kholn Village (Tash PC) Mere, Inifere and his Mere, the Council Clerk, the philethis you meet throughout the game, a few backer obelisks, and a few other small characters (like Loyhan Stolls) and bits and pieces (various parts of the Severed Child Quest, the death slides, etc.). Anyway, it's really great to read people's reactions and learn what worked and didn't. Game developers are lucky to get deep analysis free of charge.

Sinatar

Oh my god... this crisis in the maw.

Why is this game actively working so hard to make me hate it? God damn fuck Crisis's and everyone involved in their creation.

I'd take all the boring combat from Wasteland 2 over doing another one of these.

Kenai

I kind of like this game but kind of don't?

I enjoy walking around and talking to the NPCs and seeing the world and so on (really, really enjoyable world), but I don't feel like I am doing very much except looking around since pretty much all of the sidequests I am trying to do want me to give them money when I don't have any and dunno how to get more when there's so little fighting. I can't even sleep at the inn to restore my resource points cause I'm so broke.

I guess I will wander around the reef or something and hope i can find some money so i can sleep and maybe get some quests done.

Sinatar

I enjoy walking around and talking to the NPCs and seeing the world and so on (really, really enjoyable world), but I don't feel like I am doing very much except looking around since pretty much all of the sidequests I am trying to do want me to give them money when I don't have any and dunno how to get more when there's so little fighting. I can't even sleep at the inn to restore my resource points cause I'm so broke.

I guess I will wander around the reef or something and hope i can find some money so i can sleep and maybe get some quests done.

If you
fix the cultists clock and join them
you can sleep for free.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah this game really feels like it wants to be a point and click adventure, only it's got some severely half-baked RPG systems hampering it.

Massicot

Just FYI for shims, you can pretty much sell anything listed as an "oddity".

Sinatar

Well I finished it, took 34 hours.

I don't know how I feel about it. Some things I loved (the setting, the bizarre and unique NPC's littering the game world, reading all the cool oddities and artifacts), but there is a lot of bad (the companions, the overall story and how it ends, the shitty shitty SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY crisis's).

Hmm I dunno, I'll have to mull on it a bit I guess. I don't regret backing it and playing it though.

Purkake4

Banned
Looks like the average is going down on Steam, it's at 74% now.

For comparison:

Wasteland 2: 82%
Pillars:88%
Underrail: 89%

fireflame

Warning, there is a bug that can prevent you from completing the pyramid puzzle in the Order of Truth building, i found myself unable to display the options to solve the puzzle after picking some choices while interacting, and i had to reload a 2 hours old save.

How many time limited quests did you spot? So far i have spotted 2 time limited quests(or at least where time has an impact, for one of them)

Sinatar

How many time limited quests did you spot? So far i have spotted 2 time limited quests(or at least where time has an impact, for one of them)

I can only think of 2, but the farther I got in the game the less resting I did (since my resource pools/edge were super high) so there might have been some I completed not knowing they were timed.

plushyp

Are you sure the issue isn't your laptop?
No because other than the long load times, Tyranny and PoE runs perfectly on it.

Laptop specs?
What are your specs?
Runs pretty well on my i7 laptop with a humble Intel HD520 graphics card, only slight framedrops in some of the larger area's.
AMD A8-7410 with Radeon R5 graphics, 4GB RAM. You know, I think I'm blaming the engine wrongly now that I think about it. Both Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny ran without any problems other than long load times. Heck, even Resident Evil 7 and Max Payne 3 run on it at medium settings!

Oh man, that sounds infuriating. I can feel your pain just from reading that.

Alastor3

.......... yep im definitely waiting for a director's cut in a year that will, hopefully, solve a lot of the problems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you disable overlay for a particular application it should block achievement notifications too I think.

Yeah. Right-click -> Properties -> Untick "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game".

fester

Banned
Well I finished it, took 34 hours.

I don't know how I feel about it. Some things I loved (the setting, the bizarre and unique NPC's littering the game world, reading all the cool oddities and artifacts), but there is a lot of bad (the companions, the overall story and how it ends, the shitty shitty SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY crisis's).

Hmm I dunno, I'll have to mull on it a bit I guess. I don't regret backing it and playing it though.

Super disappointing to see this. I'm an enormous fan of PST but kind of glad I held off buying it. Hopefully patches will remove the bullshit and fix the performance issues.

Eusis

Shitty story definitely worries me, though I guess that can be case-by-case and there's still something to be said for the journey itself and the side stories you work through. Will probably just try to rush through it before Zelda which... isn't going to be as hard as anticipated now it seems.

Vamphuntr

The battles are really bad because of a combination of shoddy coding and pathfinding. I was trying to do the sidequests with the sentry drones battles in the beginning. I clicked on the door to the console 2 feet in front of me. My MC opens the door while the rest of the group starts to run around triggering all the enemies far away in the fog of war. During battles sometimes you select an action then everyone proceed to wait and stand still until the game decides to register it.

So I'm at the point where I feel like I have to choose my companions for the rest of the game. And since I usually pick companions that seem more interesting rather than useful, I'm probably going with
Rhin, Erretis and Matkina.
Also, possibly the most annoying thing so far is
Rhin, simply because of how nobody seems to believe her. "Oh pfff, yeah of course you have a god in this stone little child. Hahaha. What are you saying Lady who regularly talks to herself in other realities or you glowing weird guy who has two strange voices inside of him, I know right? Kids today hahaha. Anyway, back to discovering how the former body of a million year old guy gained consciousness and turned into me."

Also a question, if you don't have the "reading mind" perk,
is there any indication about what's wrong with Erretis? Or does he just seem like a slightly odd guy.

Yeah, you get to hear a running dialogue of the two voices in his head for most of the game. He won't answer questions about it, though. I think it might reveal something sooner than it would (I knew right away about the two voices), but it doesn't help you complete a quest or learn anything concrete about it, yet.

Dammit. I spent quite a bit on this game since I wanted to play a modern Torment game before getting around to PST proper. Looks like I might wait for stuff to sort itself out, and I'll prioritize NieR when it comes out, to boot.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going to do turn-based combat, please include an option to speed up animations or something. My game has crashed twice during this obnoxiously long crisis.

I feel like I'm in Ascension Peak in Wizardry 8...which had options for combat speed back in 2001.

Really starting to slog through...

I beat it yesterday, its a worthy successor and a damn fine RPG (That can still can use some tweaking but it's core is good enough.) but it lacked an important element that made Planescape so great and that's TNO being a character with his own history and past relationships. The Last Castoff is too much of a blank slate to have those things and it really hurts the narrative in comparison to Planescape. The companions aren't bad, I liked Rhin, Errits, and Matkina but they lack that emotional connection that the Planescape party members had. The missions are great though and I especially love how seemingly unrelated sidequests end up tying into each other to the point where
they actually set up the main crux of the main plot beforehand.
The ending was good, but it didn't feel nearly as satisfying as Planescape's either. Overall as I said its worthy enough to share the Torment name though it is its predecessor's inferior. Glad I backed it.

g23

European pre-madonna
Any word on a ps4 patch? I bought this last night but the performance is really disappointing. Sucks because the art style is pretty cool.

Durante

I really got into the game today, played for 4 hours straight or so. There are a lot of niggles, and I'm still not too enthused about most companions, but the setting and NPCs are great.

I really want to try this...I kinda enjoy most of the Infinity Engine games but more for the story etc rather than the combat (or the stats, to a certain extent). I understand this is turn based? Is it super derivative or just serviceable/

AHA-Lambda

Is there console commands available or something?

I'm at the crisis before
the bloom heart
and everything is killing me in a few hits
So much for avoiding the bloody combat >_>

Is there console commands available or something?

I'm at the crisis before
the bloom heart
and everything is killing me in a few hits
So much for avoiding the bloody combat >_>
Yeah, that's the only part of the game that I think they really need to fix. What team you running?

I had a Diplomacy Nano, Erritus, Matkina, and Rhin and I just ran up the left side having the tendrils open the paths and then just brute forced the heart.

I have to say though Rhin is really damn good at Tier 3 where she can reuse cyphers. Just give her all the AOE ones and watch everything die. I beat that
killer robot at The Bloom without too much trouble.

Top Bottom